It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 123
<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

that doesnt look good!

why did the msm run a simple story for a day about this, and we havent heard about it since?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Have we lost MADDOGHUNTER and TwiTcHomatic -

I would also like to get their take on this last Harmonic looking activity.

Are you guys/gals at work today??

Also anyone have any info or ideas on the water levels?

[edit on 2-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
While there's still no way to know whether this is something to be considered normal, the interesting thing to me is the shallow depth of a lot of the quakes. If the quakes are the result of magma pushing up on the top of the chamber for them to be happening .1km under ground would not be something I would consider a good sign as that's only like 330ft.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Have we lost MADDOGHUNTER and TwiTcHomatic -

I would like to also get their take on this last Harmonic looking activity.
Are you guys/gals at work today??

What! No, someone phone their managers and demand they take the rest of the day off. This is far more important.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Also anyone have any info or ideas on the water levels?

[edit on 2-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

water levels

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
For those of you just catching up, here's a few useful links.

News Releases
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Recent Earthquakes
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Recent Earthquake Animation
quake.utah.edu...

Seismographs
www.quake.utah.edu...

Ground Deformation
pboweb.unavco.org...

Water Data
waterdata.usgs.gov...

Range Data
www.geology.wisc.edu...

Magma Chamber Data
www.nationalparkstraveler.com...

Historical seismograph Archives
www.isthisthingon.org...

Old Faithful Cam
www.nps.gov...

Worldwide seismic server
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Worldwide Disaster Alert Map
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Other Science Blog
scienceblogs.com...

Another Good Magma Chamber Image
scienceblogs.com...

Ash coverage from past eruptions
www.earthmountainview.com...

Peace

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

just moved up to 502 from 500 20 mins ago.

what happened in 1996 - at that crazy peak in 600s - when it's normally 400 = we should see if that was a new geyser

anyone know?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

I have just been trying to observe more what is going on in the area. You guys are bringing back fantastic data.

There is so much information out there, but you really have to search for it.

I do believe those are harmonic tremors as well, (magma is a-movin') and remember this type of event can last for days and weeks.

Honestly, I am still amazed there has been no change of level code for the park. Too much activity for it all to be in "normal ranges".

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
and ANOTHER 3.4! My God, what's it going to take before they raise the alert level? 100 9's?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For those who think connections on a bigger scale
USGS 5.1 mid Atlantic just now

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
just got hit with another 3.4 at 3:20 ish

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
ANyone know why Roes isn't showing the Yellowstone Quakes? I read somewhere that FEMA and USGS have been having info pulled?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beefytee
just got hit with another 3.4 at 3:20 ish

and another 2.8? or is that a revision?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beefytee

I'm assuming it is a revision. My firefox shook twice in less than a minute, therefore I'm inclined to think it's just that.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
www.quake.utah.edu...

whoa - what happened to the chart here

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WSPfan

I see that some other members have already offered opinions on the harmonics and I concur.
It's very hard to say what is leading to what.

So, I'll write about some other stuff.

I think it is very telling that when we look at the helicorders in the lake vicinity (and now also further afield -- not a good sign) we see that today -- again -- they have shown a lot of non-quake activity. Some have been going "Pollock", and now we see that the lake discharge has gone back up above 500 cu ft/sec again.

Therefore it's not unreasonable to conclude that this activity may indicate an increase in size/height/volume of the dome on the lake bed. The periodic upsurge in lake discharge over the past few days does does not seem to correlate directly to actual quakes, but rather to the overall level of activity recorded. Seeing as the lake is now discharging 500 cu. ft/sec versus its median for this time of 400 (ie now it's 25% more than typical), I think that's very significant. An extra 100 cu ft/sec of water flowing out of a lake in the depths of winter can only have a few root causes, and as the ice on its surface may be impeding much of a rise in level then it's logical it has to escape somewhere.

If we get any reports that the lake's ice is cracking or collapsing then it also will be worth taking note of, as it might suggest that the pressure of the water under the ice (due to an uplifting dome) is a possible cause. Or there's lots of heat there.

Someone several pages back asked about dead fish and that's a good point. No dead fish fish have been reported but if we read between the lines that's not surprising. Out in the country where I stay some winter weekends, we have a lake close by with plenty of fish in it and now it's frozen over. But if they die there's no way of knowing because the trouble is, dead fish float. The lake is covered in ice, so any dead fish will be floating under it and we can't see them. Ditto Yellowstone.

I'd be glad for your own thoughts, to see if I'm off the wall or not. Thanks!

Mike

link   
reply to post by Mushussu

I follow that line of though as well...

All these volcanoes are essentially tied into each other in one form or another beneath our feet.

the magma plume alone for yellowstone crosses almost 2 states, that we "know" of.

This whole event is really large (as far as possible ramifications) to take in at the moment.

link   
Hey guys I am back from sleeping. Man was that good. But anyways. Why does Mary Lake look so deeply disturbing to me. If those are harmonics they are occurring for hours on end. !!

And it seems we are starting to get a rash of more powerful earthquakes. Yikes. It seems that the pressure is building up to a peak....

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Did they cut us off again?
Are we going to have another Nixon moment again?
ARGg!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Anyone else having trouble with GEE?

I totally lost connectivity and I can't seem to reconnect.

new topics

top topics

<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join