It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Roberts has a big problem on his hands

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Supreme Court Judge Alito has a big problem; his wife appears to be a Right Wing and more precisely a MAGA activist. That is a problem of appearance for Justice Alito, who's important job it is to provide a professional impartiality. It's not hard to understand why people might feel that it is inappropriate to be a Justice overseeing important Trump related cases to have close family members who are politically activists for Donald Trump.

John Roberts has a big problem on his hands

If Chief Justice John Roberts is really an institutionalist — someone deeply concerned about the integrity of the Supreme Court and public perceptions about it — then he has a big problem on his hands.

This week, the news broke that another controversial flag was flown at a home owned by Justice Samuel Alito — in this case, a New Jersey vacation property — two years after one was flown outside his house in Virginia.

In the first incident, a US flag was flown upside down for several days, in the same way those who falsely claimed that the 2020 election had been “stolen” from former President Donald Trump carried flags at the January 6, 2021 Capitol riot.

On Wednesday, the New York Times, which also first reported the upside-down flag, revealed the presence at Alito’s beach house of an “Appeal to Heaven” flag, which was also used by the “Stop the Steal” movement. The Revolutionary-era flag has been revived in recent years by right-wing activists and politicians.

CNN

It's fortunate for Justice Alito that the Democrats have given him some cover a few months ago when Judge Juan Merchan declared that his close family member, who is a political activist for causins that are anti-Trump, is not cause to assume his professional impartiality is comprised.

Merchan won't recuse himself from the case

These two Judge’s have/will claim that their character and professionalism would not allow them to compromise their impartiality no matter what their family members say or do.

And while it may feel a little scummy; should we not be to haste to dismiss their opinion? After all they and their family member are two completely different human beings, it's not correct to assume that they hold the same opinions and beliefs. I myself have close family members, whom I love dearl, and our political opinions are completely opposite. And top of that I couldn't possibly stop them from doing something I thought was inappropriate once they set their mind on it. Can Merchan and Alito be expected to be any less human than the rest of us?

So should Merchan and Alito recuse themselves from cases related to Donald Trump due to the activism of their close family members? Or can they maintain their professional impartiality?

+14 more 
posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

Ah , the Same can be said about the Liberal Leaning Judges on the SCOTUS . So the Point of this Thread is Innuendo ?

+24 more 
posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:51 PM
link   

The "Appeal to Heaven" flag was commissioned by General George Washington while fighting for our independence.

I fail to see the controversy in flying it.

The "perceived" conflict of interest exists only in the minds of the communist Leftists.

Meanwhile the conflict of interest by Merchan has an actual financial basis in the $10s of millions of dollars his daughter is making fundraising for proven liars like Adam Schiff and other democrats.

Money made directly from fundraising off the trial her father is over seeing.

Merchan has also gagged Trump from pointing out that his daughter is making millions of dollars off of this.

The false equivalency you're trying to portray here is laughable and absurd.

+11 more 
posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Merchan has not been impartial, that is a joke.

The difference between the 2 is the fact merchan donates to Biden. While judging Trump. Alito's wife hanging a flag upside down, has no impact on the election.

And remember, Sotomayor did not recuse herself from hearing cases at the Supreme Court the were appealed from the 2nd District that she ruled on.

So take Merchan out of the Pic, and the liberals on the court actually set precedent.

We could go on and on about double standards.

Maxine Waters impeached Trump twice, for his "call to inssurection". But when she told her constituents to get into the faces of the politicians in public, she didn't even get a reprimand....

If people think Trump gave a command for violence through a so called dog whistle, then they should be screaming for her to be arrested.

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:52 PM
link   

For one thing, Alito lives with his wife. On the other hand, Merchan's daughter, Loren Merchan, is the wife of another man, and doesn't live with her dad. She's also the president and partner of a political consulting firm. She's not just a crazy woman who can't be controlled by her husband, or father, like you're making Alito's wife out to be.

For another thing, anyone buying Alito's excuse that the wife did it, is an idiot.

+20 more 
posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Are you honestly going to tell me that Sonia Sotomayor and Ketanji Brown Jackson are impartial?

Especially the last one... who was put on the Supreme Court because she fulfilled all the requirements that were needed as a black female liberal?

She's a woman who doesn't understand what a woman is...

But we want her (?) to have an opinion on Constitutional law?

/facepalm

edit on 100000005America/Chicago5pmThu, 23 May 2024 23:58:13 -050058 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The whole thing with Merchan stinks to high heaven. There is no financial aspect to Alitos issue. Oh so his wife was pro-Trump, big deal! I have found the coverage about him to be a pretty obvious liberal media slant. So what he sold bud stock when it nose dived, not like he was getting insider information as some of his critics. On the other hand all the democrats supporting Merchans handling of the case and fighting for him in DC I wonder, what financial incentives do they have to keep him on the case? There is a huge conflict of interest, but they will continue on with their support for him and the attacks on Trump. They are basically throwing chum in the water for their financial benefit!

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 11:57 PM
link   

"Impartiality" is a nice sounding word, but is rarely mentally utilized by any judges.

+4 more 
posted on May, 24 2024 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Justice Roberts impartial?

The same Justice Roberts that handed down
Obamacare? An unprecedented illegal tax
upon the citizens of The United States.

That Justice?

I can not help but recall Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
How the msm media deviously hid the truth
of her words and opinions to further an agenda.

thehill.com...

Of course the legacy corporate media will continue
to assail the conservative leaning Justice's.

Would we expect anything different?

Unlike some liberal leaning Justice's spouses,
Ginni Thomas and Marta Ann do not practice
law and write briefs. Historically, this has not
required recusal. Going after the wives of the
conservative Justices is despicable, desperate
and inexcusable.

edit on 24-5-2024 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

/facepalm

No......No...No......

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

The "Appeal to Heaven" flag was commissioned by General George Washington while fighting for our independence.

I fail to see the controversy in flying it.

Clearly, then, you are not looking with left-wing progressive eyes.

I read today that a New York corrections officer commented on a photo of a bunch of Georgia corrections officers that was about 22% white and nearly 100% obese. He simply said that they must serve some good biscuits and gravy down in Georgia, and now he's a racists.

You can see the tweet here.

So, yeah, every damned thing is now either racists or sexist or "transphobe" or "homophobe" or right-wing or MAGA or something. People are triggered by the display of the national flag.

I just don't f'in' care anymore. Well, actually, I never cared. But whereas before I just spoke my mind when I wanted to, now I'm looking for opportunities to offend the idiots, snowflakes, left-wing-nuts, social justice warriors, etc.

So, yeah, an historical symbol that is part of the nation's history is now controversial.

All I can say is, BRING IT ON!

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
The whole thing with Merchan stinks to high heaven. There is no financial aspect to Alitos issue. Oh so his wife was pro-Trump, big deal! I have found the coverage about him to be a pretty obvious liberal media slant. So what he sold bud stock when it nose dived, not like he was getting insider information as some of his critics. On the other hand all the democrats supporting Merchans handling of the case and fighting for him in DC I wonder, what financial incentives do they have to keep him on the case? There is a huge conflict of interest, but they will continue on with their support for him and the attacks on Trump. They are basically throwing chum in the water for their financial benefit!

I think it is more along the lines of:

-He stays on the case.

-He throws his career away by convicting Trump, no matter what.

-Trump is in jail and can’t be president..even if he wins.

-Biden wins election.

-Trump guilty verdict overturned.

-Merchan disbarred.

-Daughter helps dad financially for the rest of his life.

( sure she is a consultant,but her being hired is her father’s pay off.)

Way different than Alito’s wife hanging the flag upside down.

I think it is going to backfire….

Merchan played too hard. The jury and a growing number of the population are seeing through the bs. Well, at least the members of the population who can do basic logic problems.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Merchan has also gagged Trump from pointing out that his daughter is making millions of dollars off of this.

Slightly off topic, but I don't understand why Trump doesn't have his people out having campaign rallies and bringing things like this out into the open.

On topic, it seems odd that Alito's wife would be so persistant in doing things that can harm his reputation and career.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So basically nothing real. None of that pans out as the problem really for what appears to be most all of us here in America. The cat is out of the bag on what side is pure power grabbing evil.

I am including RINO' on that side too.

ETA:

I am NOT AN R..... I vote for who is the best. Right now if you don't vote R in the primary to have a good one, you are likely to get a D with an R label since they are compromised by the DS and their own blackmail issues.

edit on 24000000083120245America/Chicago05am5 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Kash Patel and company would disagree totally with this 1st statement.
2nd line
It is selective only for conservatives as we see. They rinse and repeat violating common sense with their criminal actions and attack every bit of minutia to distract from us all looking right at them and their high crimes.

It is the media coverage that is lacking. Fox included. They are better than the others on their hopefully honest opinions, but the news department is not better than CNN to me. They don't claim to be reporters on Gutfield or The Five on Fox. Two shows my wife watches regularly. I like Gutfeld with the Libertarian Katt Timpf on there speaking to us Libertarian types.

Love the nugget1 posts, please don't be offended by my personal opinion on this get the news to the people topic.

originally posted by: nugget1
a reply to: watchitburn

Slightly off topic, but I don't understand why Trump doesn't have his people out having campaign rallies and bringing things like this out into the open.

On topic, it seems odd that Alito's wife would be so persistant in doing things that can harm his reputation and career.

edit on 24000000223120245America/Chicago05am5 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 06:49 AM
link   
We know the drill.

Pro-Trump acceptable.

Anti-Trump unacceptable.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well, Trump did prove he is worthy even if you refuse to see that.

But would you not agree the whole scheme to take over America is in the hands of some nasty people who could hang for treason?

They are very exposed in that capacity.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   
CNN says someone else should be "professionally impartial"?

I'm staring at my screen trying to think of something to type, but I can't stop laughing.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 07:28 AM
link   

So much for blatantly biased projection

Chief Justice John Roberts Rebuked Trump This Term - 2020

Chief Justice John Roberts' double-barreled rejection of President Trump's claims of immunity from grand jury and congressional subpoenas was a stunning end to a momentous term in which Roberts played perhaps the most pivotal role of any chief justice in close to a century.

In a remarkable series of decisions over the last month, Roberts has rebuked Trump on matters ranging from personal to policy.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

Well, Trump did prove he is worthy even if you refuse to see that.

But would you not agree the whole scheme to take over America is in the hands of some nasty people who could hang for treason?

They are very exposed in that capacity.

Trump is not worthy in my opinion. And I doubt many of his supporters even know what they’re really voting for.

I believe there is a global power.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join