It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 720
<< 717  718  719   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
All over Yellowstone there has been large amounts of helium being released. Out of all the scientific volcanic observation, this is a precursor to eruption.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

sean
All over Yellowstone there has been large amounts of helium being released. Out of all the scientific volcanic observation, this is a precursor to eruption.

LOL and LOL again
I will bet my New Maserati that Yellowstone does nothing..
at an extinction level..

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

That's very interesting , can you cite a source please ? I'd definitely like to read about it.
Thanks

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

The amount of crustal helium coming out is way more than anyone would have expected," said Jacob Lowenstern, lead study author and scientist-in-charge at the U.S. Geological Survey's Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, according to Livescience. www.natureworldnews.com...

It doesn't say it has increased - just that it was more than they were expecting.
If it is new information for them it is something we should just keep an eye on - to see how the quantity of helium over the next few years is interpreted by the experts. Could it be from the 2010 swarm? Because there haven't been any major swarms since (not that big). Were they not measuring helium it back then? If so why was this particular measurement not expected?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

No it wont be a extinction level event, but all the surrounding states would get hit hard.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

I am speculating that the more larger the magma pool gets the more material is then burned as a result helium is released. They said it's millions of years old helium. It means whatever is getting turned into molten magma down there is or was millions of years old. So it is growing in size. The larger it gets the more pressure it will have until it blows it's top. So is larger amounts of helium a precursor to eruption? Eventually yes. How long is anyone's guess. It will erupt again there is no arguing that it's brewing down there.

La Times
Yellowstone

Here they talk about Canary Island and helium.
Canary Island

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

wlasikiewicz
reply to post by huntergatherer

Isnt Yellowstone a volcano? If that was to pop you can say goodby to the USA. Forget Obama destroying it that will do it in a split second..

Supervolcano actually.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I'd be more concerned if there has been any deformation again. Have any lakes suddenly changed their shapes?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

I understand that the rock is releasing helium due to fracturing, and not because they are melting into lava. The lava makes #3 helium and the rocks make type 4 (or however you would word that). I can see your reasoning as I was wondering why there was an unexpected amount but they don't seem too worried.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

fracking due to the dozens of swarms lately...!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What about this, nowhere near Yellowstone?
M3.8 - 59km S of Plentywood, Montana
2014-02-25 22:45:38 UTC

Event Time
2014-02-25 22:45:38 UTC
2014-02-25 15:45:38 UTC-07:00 at epicenter
2014-02-25 17:45:38 UTC-05:00 system time

Nearby Cities
59km (37mi) S of Plentywood, Montana
81km (50mi) W of Williston, North Dakota
209km (130mi) NW of Dickinson, North Dakota
244km (152mi) S of Regina, Canada
246km (153mi) SSE of Moose Jaw, Canada
Appears more along the Missouri River south of Regina close to the US/Canada border

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

It is comments like this that make it unclear.

"This really isn't a volcano story," Lowenstern said. "But it reveals how the Earth's crust behaves on a long time frame. The crust 'holds its breath' for long periods of time, and then releases it during tectonically and volcanically active bursts."

www.latimes.com...

To me it's clear that more is coming out than they anticipated (they said this). What is not clear is what they mean by that

Which is it....

1. The helium has been being released for millions of years. Check
2. The amount of helium is more than expected. Check
3. The helium is always being released. ? - to some extent
4. The helium released is...(more?), and the reason why is because after it's done holding its breath - during tectonic or volcanic activity, it releases it. ? They just said it is always released so why is the earth holding its breath and then releasing it from rock only during volcanic or tectonic activity. There is always tectonic activity at Yellowstone.

Then it explains it had just now been noticed. They have been taking measurements at this part for how many years and they are just now noticing helium?

"During that time it appears that helium was building up in the crust (because there was no groundwater or crust movement), but not so much to the point that it created enough pressure to push its way to the surface. That didn't happen until the area became volcanic—hot magma beneath the trapped helium pushed it upwards, eventually squeezing it through cracks, steam vents and geysers at the surface. And that's why it's happening right now—it's been going on all this time and has just now been noticed."

Read more at: phys.org...

I have a hard time believing that they weren't measuring for helium prior to the last couple of years but if that is the case it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Dianec
reply to post by sean

I understand that the rock is releasing helium due to fracturing, and not because they are melting into lava. The lava makes #3 helium and the rocks make type 4 (or however you would word that). I can see your reasoning as I was wondering why there was an unexpected amount but they don't seem too worried.

Well that part of the story to me that is confusing. They say that helium came from a crack like it was trapped and released. What caused the crack? Expansion of magma I presume. To my understanding helium is also a product of a fusion reaction or radioactive decay. Same for helium 4. To have radio active decay, it's the break down of an atom becoming unstable. So the question is what is making it unstable? Again I presume Magma burning up new materials with a fusion reaction? Then they talk about the Canary Island Volcano and said they monitored it for like 7 months and it too released more larger amounts of helium before it exploded.
edit on 26-2-2014 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

I know. I'm not too worried due to the tone of the reports on this but those questions linger. I really don't think we are reading too far between the lines as these are reasonable questions. I didn't know about the other volcano/helium connection. If an increase of helium 4 was a precursor to an eruption how can this be generalized to a super volcano? Or can it be. I have the feeling it's another "I don't know" scenario - unless someone can pop back 640,000 years and run some tests.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

sean

it has always released helium. about 60 tons a year. do you have info that MORE than that is being released? a link?

edit to add - for some reason i didn't see the comments following. ignore this post.
edit on 27-2-2014 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If someone would be kind enough to start another thread on this topic, that would be great.
Call it the "New" or "Pt.2", ot "cont"

The reason is the load on the ATS servers and the cut-off is 400 pages.

I'll close this one as soon as it's up, and post a link to it.

Continued here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.
edit on Thu Feb 27 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 717  718  719   >>

join