It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Afraid of Death?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The body wants to live. The transition can be very painful. I'm not looking forward to that part, but I hope I'll be able to make the transition with dignity.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of leaving too much of my potential in unused energy, afraid of not had living. These questions occur in the frustrated alot, the ones that look for comfort in the times of question of the time of final exit.

A preacher can only gives you words, a book can only inspire words into your own personal comfortable interpretation, but living is all we have that we can control. So with all my gifts I have not had the chance to utilize, again, I say I'm afraid of not living out what I am capable of more than dying.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm not afraid of death, just of the pain that might be associated with it. (Can you tell I'm a wimp?
) I know for a fact that reincarnation is real, so there's nothing to worry about, as far as I'm concerned.

I kind of pity atheists because for them, death can only hold fear. My boss, for example, is so afraid of death that in his late 50s he's taken up a dreadful workout regimen just to stay healthy longer. He also signed up to have himself (or better, his head) cryogenically frozen so that at some point in the future someone may revive him. He and his buddies also put a lot of stock into anti-aging research, hoping that someone will find the "immortality gene" before they croak.

I find that ludicrous. In my opinion, it's unethical to want to live forever. I mean, don't we already have too many people on Earth? We have to make space for the younger generations. Also, true change and progress can only be made if the old die and the young take their place, because when you look at science, for example, many of the old scientists are so stuck in their ways that they won't allow any new, revolutionary thoughts and theories to be pursued. Imagine those old geezers would live forever and never have to give up their posts. Progress and change would be all but halted.
edit on 20-7-2011 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
death happens all the time and eventually gonna happen to you so im not really scared of death

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The only part that scares me about death is abandoning loved ones, and the pain that might accompany the process of dying. If it happens I hope it's quick and as painless as possible. What happens after that is not something I fear. I do believe in the afterlife. Not in the way some religions believe it to be, but I do believe that there is life/existence after the body dies. If I turn out to be wrong and there is nothing once I die, well then I'll not care one way or the other since I won't exist anymore.

There's one thing we know for sure. We are alive today (or we at least perceive ourselves to be), so it's important to keep living the best way you know how. Treat people well, enjoy life, do what's right, and don't waste years thinking about your own death. Seems like a stressful waste of precious time. Does it add anything positive to your life to think about death so much other than make you appreciate the life you have now? You'll find out when you get there.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I welcome death
It's the great unknown

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The thought of not existing in this current state doesn't bother me in the least.

The actual thought of death is not a fear for me. The actual fear comes with what it might entail. Will I die without anyone knowing? Without getting to be with loved ones? Will it be in A way that will be very painful or uncomfortable?

Those are the things that come along with death that unnerve me.

Very interesting post though, I'm always curious as to what other people have to say about this.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Seems like we have fairly similar viewpoints on death. I liked that bit about your boss trying to stay young and alive forever, and to a point I do agree with your opinion on immortality. I have a couple of people in my life who are absolutely terrified of dying. I'm talking wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night scared out of their MINDS! These were serious panic attacks. Well, actually, one happened to accidentally cure themselves of this problem a couple of months ago through - [ahem] - "unconventional" methods, but the other still suffers from these - I'm-going-to-DIE!!! - panic attacks. I didn't realize people could be that scared of death, but I guess some are.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anunaki2012

i was thinking the same

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

I am not afraid to die. I believe strongly in life after death, so Im not worried about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
reply to post by sylvie

Seems like we have fairly similar viewpoints on death. I liked that bit about your boss trying to stay young and alive forever, and to a point I do agree with your opinion on immortality. I have a couple of people in my life who are absolutely terrified of dying. I'm talking wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night scared out of their MINDS! These were serious panic attacks. Well, actually, one happened to accidentally cure themselves of this problem a couple of months ago through - [ahem] - "unconventional" methods, but the other still suffers from these - I'm-going-to-DIE!!! - panic attacks. I didn't realize people could be that scared of death, but I guess some are.

My father was one of those... in the last few years of his life, he was just hanging on by a thread, but boy, was he hanging on. He basically dragged himself from one major event to the next ("I want to see my 75th birthday," "I want to see our 50th wedding anniversary", and so on.) It was painful to watch; once I tried to talk to him about dying and he pretty much jumped at my throat. His actual death was very peaceful, though, because I was able to communicate with his soul/spirit/whatever you want to call it, and calm it down. After that, he crossed over with a smile on his face.

Personally, I think of death often, but not in a morbid way. I like to remind myself that life is fleeting and that I shouldn't take anything for granted.

Once I saw an Oprah show; it was the sequel to a show a year earlier where Dr. Phil or someone had been counseling quarreling couples. One black couple took his advice quite well and were much happier afterwards, but a few weeks before the sequel show, the husband died on his way to work. His tearful wife said how glad she was that she'd hugged and kissed him that morning because after that, she never saw him alive again.

So I'm making a point everyday to hug and kiss my husband and son before they leave for work/school, and also before I myself leave the house. It's true, you never know when it's the last time that you see your loved ones alive. But it's not like that's majorly depressing me -- it makes me more aware and appreciative of how blessed I am.
edit on 20-7-2011 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I personally am not much afraid of death, but I am afraid of losing what I've learned thus far. I think it's very sad, if anything can really be "sad", that we spend so much time in earnest learning and educating ourselves, so much personal time in introspection and contemplation, deconstructing our experiences and our daily lives, only to lose it all in the blink of an eye?

Seems rather obnoxious to me that we are given such a free range of understanding and sentience, when materially and biologically our only real purpose here is to perpetuate the species? Nothing more? Really?

If there is a God, then he's the biggest troll out there.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

I am not afraid to die. I believe strongly in life after death, so Im not worried about it.

I kind of feel the same way for myself. The scariest thought though, is for those I care about, to go before me. Sometimes that thought is too overwhelming and the sadness in even thinking about it is almost unbearable.
I would gladly go first.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm not afraid of death, im in a way looking forward to moving on to new adventures. But I do fear pain,as it hurts.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I've spent lots of time thinking about this, and I used to tell myself that I was scared of death, but I realized that it wasn't actually death itself that I was scared of, but dying. I say that because I think when you die, it's just like before you were born: nothingness. What's there to fear about that? However actually spending the last few minutes of your life extremely stressed out with the thought of imminent death is what scares me, that's something that I dread experiencing.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We learn from a young age that We will die one day. Of course our "western society" doesn't prepare Us for for that reality very well, unless you have a specific religious or spiritual path.
I do believe that We are spiritual beings and when the physical body "dies" the Spirit, Soul goes on to another level.

I believe our loved ones, friends and helpers will be there on the other side to help Us cross over.
Am I afraid of dying?, it is scary but I really think it is the fear of the unknown that scares most people.
I'm not saying I know, I'm saying some of the experiences I've had and what I believe helps Me to prepare for the transition from this life to the next.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't fear death, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it. When it happens, there will be nothing I can do to prevent it. I know I don't want to be murdered or die a gruesome or horrific death. I don't want it to hurt. I would like to go in my sleep. I like being alive, but there are aspects of the world and life in general that I cannot really stand.

I believe that who I am right now (flesh and blood being) will die, but I am promised eternal life by God and Jesus Christ, His one and only Son. I just hope that I will be accepted for eternal life even though I have sinned and continue to sin every day. Please forgive me Lord.

I hope that the people I know and love will also be accepted. I would hate to see any of them be turned away. (I'm crying right now as I write that). I look forward to seeing my grandmother again, well all my grandparents, but my mom's mom I was very close to. I also look forward to seeing friends who have already died.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mainly get some insight on the subject of death from people of this generation. I noticed that our civilization represses the subject profoundly and that makes for people to reject things that entail death all too eagerly.

So, please tell me. How do you deal with the subject of death and are you prepared for such a transition? Do you think there is a transition? Did you know the Egyptians based their whole lifetime in preparing for the moment of death? That was a smart, smart move, in my opinion. I have to admit, I'm still learning the truth about our existence, but knowing what is right around the corner, I sometimes find myself being extremely terrified and just torn. I know I have to rise above it but it's hard to when we are still in this dimension.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Because of my experience with death and the piercing of a veil over my eyes I have the deep understanding that I have been before this life and will be after, indefinitely.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mainly get some insight on the subject of death from people of this generation. I noticed that our civilization represses the subject profoundly and that makes for people to reject things that entail death all too eagerly.

So, please tell me. How do you deal with the subject of death and are you prepared for such a transition? Do you think there is a transition? Did you know the Egyptians based their whole lifetime in preparing for the moment of death? That was a smart, smart move, in my opinion. I have to admit, I'm still learning the truth about our existence, but knowing what is right around the corner, I sometimes find myself being extremely terrified and just torn. I know I have to rise above it but it's hard to when we are still in this dimension.

Thoughts? Thanks!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm not afraid at all, at least not right now. I may be afraid right before it happens if I can anticipate or see it coming. My life has had a handful of really good moments, but all-in-all far more hardship and struggle to want to keep holding on. I know it could have been worse and that I should be grateful for life and I truly am on some days, but there are times when I hope that whetever comes next is better than the current reality.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join