It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Afraid of Death?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mainly get some insight on the subject of death from people of this generation. I noticed that our civilization represses the subject profoundly and that makes for people to reject things that entail death all too eagerly.

So, please tell me. How do you deal with the subject of death and are you prepared for such a transition? Do you think there is a transition? Did you know the Egyptians based their whole lifetime in preparing for the moment of death? That was a smart, smart move, in my opinion. I have to admit, I'm still learning the truth about our existence, but knowing what is right around the corner, I sometimes find myself being extremely terrified and just torn. I know I have to rise above it but it's hard to when we are still in this dimension.

Thoughts? Thanks!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
personally it happens everyday.. ppl die ppl are born... animals die animals are born.... its just a part of nature it happens to all of us.. no i dont dwell on it why would u wanna do that>?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I have thought about this question a lot before. I came to the conclusion that I'm not afraid of death at all. That being said I don't particularly want to be dead. I don't even like to sleep, because I think I'll miss something important, although that is rarely the case. If I did die though I'd feel more badly about leaving my friends and family here all sad without me than I would about actually being dead. I don't really know what will happen after I die. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but whatever happens it can't be any worse than being stuck here in this greedy, corrupt, economically and socially crumbling world I'll leave behind.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Why was it a smart move on the Egyptians to spend their whole lives thinking of their deaths? Pretty silly I think, better off living naturally. Animals don´t have death rituals, and they live in perfect harmony with this world. They spend their lives living. If a human would desire to spend their lifetime in preparation for their death, would they not be wiser to live in unison with their environment, to achieve a bodily and spiritual cohesion with this world? Isn´t that what the mysticism of death is largely about? For how could one progress into any other realm without first being strong enough to survive the first?

For me personally, I don´t fear death. I seldom think of it, even when I am in a dangerous situation. Perhaps I am of a simple mind, but I don´t see the need to spend though on death. If it happens then it shall be unavoidable, but until then I know I am better off thinking of survival, and of life.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The dead is an exciting thing, no one knows exactly what awaits us after that ...I'm not really afraid of the dead, but on the way it happened.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Personally it frightens me quite a lot. My belief that death is like what it was before we were born. Quite simply, nothing. I also believe this is why a lot of people suspend their logic reasoning when it comes to religion so they can be rid of this fear. Unfortunately my mind cannot do this hence the fear I feel.

But, when it comes down to it, when I die, I will not know as I am dead so therefore no more fear which I guess is good.

Also - I think it's one of mankind's greatest curses. The knowledge that one day we will all die. To not dwell on such things is one way to deal with it I guess. Another is to celebrate it.
edit on 19-7-2011 by IdeaLogical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
If you consider the body as anything else out there is energy, then we do not die at all its just a change of state. ...We switch into another dimension ..
Our soul does that many times, its only for the Body the first time

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Am I afraid of Death ? In a word...NO
I was in a terrific wreck a year ago..I never felt the impact the light switch turned off in my mind..When I woke I was in more pain than I have ever been in in my life..and wished the switch would turn back off !

after that I havent been afraid..In fact I may have died and awoke in this life .Dont know !

Rember a Steven Segall movie where one of the actors line was...Everybody wan go Hevn...nobody wan Dead !!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
No. How can you be afraid to leave what you have come from?
edit on 19-7-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I guess it's not so much the actual death duration of nothingness but rather the death itself. In what manner will it be? And am I afraid to never regain consciousness again? Will we reincarnate? I believe the state of your karma at the moment of death determines your fate in the next life. Each life is a chance to balance it. At this point, I'm trying to balance all my karma in the best way I can. I feel like if something does happen (2012), it's just not fair for any of us. But then I think of the rest of humanity during Earths history and the type of treatment they went through. It is true you know, 'a time to suffer, a time to love', etc.

It's also a touchy subject for a ton of people! I cannot find one person to discuss the subject in a serious manner in regards to my knowledge about coming changes.
edit on 7/19/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

The only absolute in life is that it ends. A person might as well fear sunrise/set for all the good it will do them.

Depending on your religious/philisophical views death may be an improvement or, at the very least, the beginning of another stage.

A quick scan of headlines makes me more afraid of living then dying in all honesty. At least with death I don't have to worry about some politician stealing/squandering my SS money or the bank wiping out my life savings because they felt like it.

reply to post by Anunaki2012

Exactly.

Life is what it is, good or bad, rain or shine I'm enjoyng the experience and the buildup of knowledge. However, I'm really very curious to see what happens when it's all over.

At our core we are self aware energy patterns...like ice melting into water and then boiling off to steam, this should not be it.
edit on 19-7-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
When I say Im afraid, I'm afraid to leave the good things actually. I mean, Im in love with a beautiful man and I count my blessings everyday. I'm afraid to leave what is so radiant in this world. It's all such a gift.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Please pardon me for bringing religion into it. I'll explain why religion is wrong in a few paragraphs.

My fear of death faded after I gave up Christianity. (I still believe in God.)

That religion has deeply affected western thinking, because it promotes the idea that what happens after death is all-important. It makes that a huge focus, a huge worry.

Islam does the same - it's all about the afterlife.

What I love about Judaism, the original faith of Abraham (which has nothing to do with Israel and politics and all that), is that it gives no answer for what comes next. It says that what you do RIGHT NOW and TODAY matter more than anything else.

It matters how you treat people. It matters how you spend your time. It matters what you choose to think about and concentrate on. It matters where you work, and how well you do your job. It matters to YOUR life and it matters to every person who comes into contact with you.

It matters profoundly that you live each and every day the very best you can. Whether in a simple or a grand way, though I think the simple things matter the most.

The failings of other-worldy religions are that they say, "as long as you follow this prescription for the after-life and earn that, nothing else matters".

This idea has led to the crumbling of western societies. It has led to extreme selfishness and self-absorption. It's a poison for the individual and societies at large. In the east it has led to the idea that dying for ideology is somehow good (suicide bombings). It is not good - it's just a wasted life.

When I put all of that away and began to concentrate on living each day the best way I know how, and leaving the afterlife as God's concern, as something that doesn't apply to me here & now, death stopped being scary. It's something that will happen to me, and I don't know if I will simply be no more, or if I will have an afterlife. I find that comforting, to know I'm not trying to earn it, that I'm simply trying to live as God told me to.

My life is very full. I'm enjoying it so much. I pray often that I will live long enough that my death is not a tragedy, but not so long that I am a burden to anyone else. If that prayer is answered, I will be very blessed. Even if it was not true and today was my last day here - I have had a good husband, smart and healthy children, a life of great experiences and adventure. I hope to see my children grow up, but beyond that, I've already been blessed beyond imagination with a good life.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Personally i can't wait for death.
2nd

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

2nd

Then why are you still posting here?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

There's no need to wait bro.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid, as much as I just don't want to die. I'm pretty sure that when you die, it's just nothingness, exactly like it was before you were born, billions of years, trillions of years, eternity passes without any knowledge of it. The only way to experience anything, is to be alive, and so I don't want to be dead. Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mainly get some insight on the subject of death from people of this generation. I noticed that our civilization represses the subject profoundly and that makes for people to reject things that entail death all too eagerly.

So, please tell me. How do you deal with the subject of death and are you prepared for such a transition? Do you think there is a transition? Did you know the Egyptians based their whole lifetime in preparing for the moment of death? That was a smart, smart move, in my opinion. I have to admit, I'm still learning the truth about our existence, but knowing what is right around the corner, I sometimes find myself being extremely terrified and just torn. I know I have to rise above it but it's hard to when we are still in this dimension.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Fear death? Certainly Not!

As another poster said, How can you be afraid of where you come from?

I will embrace death when it shows its face to me as I have very strong memories of before birth....For me its a fact that you go back to the same energy pool you came from!........Rebirth or reincarnation or whatever term your happy with is also a fact to me as I have lived before!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I do not fear death in itself. Even if it is a transition into nothingness which would be peace. Of course I would not realize the peacefulness of it because I would have no conscientiousness. What I fear is the loss of thought that this would entail. I enjoy thinking. Thought can take me anywhere I want to go. I think the Moody Blues said it best. "Thinking is the best way to travel". I know nothing of my existence before I was born and that probably means that I will know nothing of my existence after I die. When I was a young man I used the phrase "If I die I...........". Somewhere in time it changed to "When I die I...........". I do not remember when this change occurred but looking back on it was probably when I realized, unconsciously, that death was inevitable. There is some peace of mind in the fact that I am not the first to experience it. At times the peace that nothingness would bring seems inviting because of the trials and tribulations that one has to endure in this life's journey but then again these same trials are part of life and have made me more aware as a human being. I think life in general is a struggle for everyone in some way, shape or form and there must be a reason for that. I feel this life may be one of the stepping stones of existence that eventually brings us to a place of peace. That is my hope anyway.

Later

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Well said!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I wrote a thread on this subject a few months ago and it was dead when it came to replies

I actually believe that it is not death that scares us, I think it is a loss of identity.

Death is the one certainty we all have, I take comfort in this but losing who I am is what scares me because even any belief on offering, still states that you will not be who you are on this earth after death.

A lot of people are in complete denial that death is going to come to them at one point even when they think they are not, never mind trying to even ask what death actually is or what comes after it.

edit on 19-7-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join