It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Afraid of Death?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am not scared of dying, but I definitely don't want to: I love my life too much.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm not afraid to die as such, so much as I'm worried by what the manner of my death might be. Will it be slow? Will I be able to see my loved ones again beforehand? Will I even know that I'm about to die? I think I'd be happier if I knew beforehand that my days were numbered.

I also find it unsettling to contemplate that some day, everything that's 'me' will simply cease to exist, leaving 'me' just some rotting meat in the ground. But I'm not delusional, I know that there's no holy ghost out there waiting to whisk me away to some magical wonderful happyplace afterlife. So I try not to think about dying. I'm still fairly young, I could live for another 50, maybe 60 years easily. Maybe more, who knows what the future might bring?

Longevity runs in the family. My great-grandfather lived to 93 year old, though the last 5 years of his life were spent battling alzheimer's desease. The last year of his life was spent in a near comatose state, he was less a human and more a drool machine. He was the kindest, strongest person I ever knew, and he lived a long and (mostly) happy life. I don't think any of us could reasonably ask for any more than that.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Fear of dying......not at all.
The only fear i have is Re-Incarnating back to Planet Earth!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A simple straight forward question.
A simple straight forward answer. No

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SleepingEntity

Thats what tupac said... 'only fear of death is coming back reincarnated'. I don't want to come back unless its during a Golden Age.
edit on 7/20/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

Well thats me knackered, i'm Colour Blind !

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
i have never feared death. i love life

enjoy the moment

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Treppon
Only thing I fear of death is reincarnation on this #ed up planet!

Well, that reincarnation as an animal, pebble, plant, ghost, hell-being, deity etc you are not alone to fear. And to escape it is very, very hard during these times, I believe. Anyway, there is now Falun Dafa so there is a chance for everyone who appreciates the new opportunity given to mankind.

The prophecies say that people will want to die when the disasters strike massively, and that is just because they have no clue what awaits them on the other side.. So a little hardship should be taken as joy and one´s life is predestined from your previous lifetimes of debts anyway, so why fighting?

Just my two cents, no truth offered whatsoever.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good
edit on 21-7-2011 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I used to repress thoughts about death until I awakened this year. Dreaming is fun and I usually can't wait for the next episode of partial lucid style rem sleep. That and I also get to see my grandma who passed away in 2009 appear in my dream episodes every now and then. I won't lie and say that I'm not a bit confused or slightly afraid but this year, with all my reading and growing enlightenment, I believe it is a door to the next experience and hopefully it is a positive one. I can't fathom a lack of consciousness...I can't fathom not being, I look into the void when I close my eyes, and is death just darkness? Idk. Would we even know about it? I've read so many theories, and when I look at the earth and all it's living things..I just feel like this can't be it for the spirit of man. Maybe what you believe is what you get, now wouldn't that be FANCY?

Just think, all those billions of galaxies..or billions of "souls", they all walked through the door of death and manifest their own universe.
edit on 21-7-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: Through

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyrTheSeeker
You will not cease to know your mother after you die. You may find that you know her that much better, when you find that she is so much more than your mother.

But your suggestion that I may know my mother better in the afterlife suggests that I will have a continued relationship with her as a recognizable form of consciousness. This cannot be if, as you proposed before, I am her, she is me and everything in existence is her and me. I will then not know my mother any better than I will know Adolf Hitler. In fact, I will be burdened by the wrongdoings of Hitler as if they were my own – because according to what you believe, his wrongdoings will have been my own, and your own. In short, how can I possibly continue to know my mother as a renewed or expanded form of consciousness if we all blend in to one giant consciousness? In such an event my mother as an identifiable consciousness as I know her now will cease to exist – to be absorbed (and thus in my view, obliterated) by the consciousness of you, Adolf Hitler and the rest of the previously unique identities of the universe – good and bad.

If your relationship is strong with your mother or husband/boyfriend then perhaps you have known them before under different circumstances.

I’m male, by the way
. Again, to suggest that I may have known the souls of my mother or loved ones in previous lives proposes that they are each a continually sovereign consciousness separate from the one-infinite-consciousness. I would like to believe this is the case, but you mostly seem to be saying that there is no such thing as individual consciousnesses, just one universal consciousness temporarily decanted into Earthly bodies, which then reunite after death – forever losing the individual identities that once were. In this way I find your theories confusing and contradictory.

Why fret over a change in perspective, when you do not understand how much greater your outlook will be? You will come to understand exactly how right it is. Be careful not to get mired in your fears, and this feeling of bleakness. It is only because you cannot understand from your perspective. Give yourself a couple of months, and the benefit of the doubt. Try what I recommend. See for yourself

But with all due respect, how do you know that you correctly understand what the afterlife entails? I am depressed by the prospect of losing my spiritual identity upon death, but only because it seems to be an increasingly popular theory among the non-atheists of my generation which I am therefore urged to consider. But I have not decided yet whether this is what the afterlife will be. I still believe in spirits in the traditional form of ‘ghosts’ – individuals who have retained their identity after death but inhabit other plains. I would prefer this to be true and I would say there’s as much evidence of this being the case as there is of your beliefs proving true.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

I was reading your answer to your interlocutor.
What would you care what is behind death?
Face it you don’t care what is behind your country if no one shows you…news…internet and others.
The fact is very simple; there is only one way to the present and that is now, there is only one way out to the present and that is death.
It doesn’t matter how many people tells you about this and that behind death, the fact of now push you to the emergence of now.
What we know for sure and without a doubt is that dying is a very personal thing.
Only you will know…and then you will go with the record.
Personally it is so much fun to know that everything I am, I own, I love, has to be leaving behind….imagine yourself getting ride off your life time emotional accumulation.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mainly get some insight on the subject of death from people of this generation. I noticed that our civilization represses the subject profoundly and that makes for people to reject things that entail death all too eagerly.

So, please tell me. How do you deal with the subject of death and are you prepared for such a transition? Do you think there is a transition? Did you know the Egyptians based their whole lifetime in preparing for the moment of death? That was a smart, smart move, in my opinion. I have to admit, I'm still learning the truth about our existence, but knowing what is right around the corner, I sometimes find myself being extremely terrified and just torn. I know I have to rise above it but it's hard to when we are still in this dimension.

Thoughts? Thanks!

My own personal thoughts are...I would welcome death when it's my time. I work in the medical field as an RN, I battle death every day I wake up and go to work.

I've some crazy stories, the different things I've seen while working in Nursing homes/hospitals, which makes me believe there is something more beyond this.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
Personally it is so much fun to know that everything I am, I own, I love, has to be leaving behind….imagine yourself getting ride off your life time emotional accumulation.

But I like my lifetime accumulation of emotion, both joyful and painful. Without pain we cannot know joy, and if the afterlife is pain-free, then I must conclude that it is also joy-free.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Being an engineering physicist I use to tell people this:

How can you be afraid of your flesh body dieing? Do you really think your atoms will die, your electrons, quarks, neutrinos etc etc? They will not die at all or else there would have been a nuclear explosion.

You are very much alive in other dimensions and the question is how your actions on mother earth affects your bodies in other dimensions? Ie with lots of bad deeds and no good deeds, could it be so that the black karma(sins) will accumulate and make your body in another dimension very dark and murky? And virtue may accumulate and make your body in another dimension very bright and light?

Many Worlds Theory

Since I don´t believe God plays dice(Einstein quote) I try to be a good person, as good as I can.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

You can't know joy without pain, maybe...but you surely can know bliss without pain in site.
There is something interesting about life, we born without notice and die the same way...until we wise up. You don't have to be in samadhi or awaken to know your entire life, in my experience you have to be good to your own core, so good that every thing in the universe is attracted to you. I don't mean narcissism love of oneself.
All the emotion that you have accumulated are for ever in you and in the collective mind if I may say so. When death comes to take you a way, other experience will wait you. Where , when , how and don't know but it is wise to say a joyful good bye to every thing that made you.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
it is wise to say a joyful good bye to every thing that made you.

Am I the only one who finds this a fate bleaker than oblivion?

To use a metaphor, is it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all? i.e. Is it better to have your identity and relationships in this life ripped away from you, to never experience again, or to enjoy an afterlife completely absent of the knowledge that those things ever existed?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by abaraikenshi

Please share some stories. They would only add to this discussion

EDIT: I see you started a thread. Thank you!

edit on 21-7-2011 by MarshMallow_Snake because: found thread

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

What a grand philosophical question to portray unto us.

It must be a topic I have contemplated many times while in question of my own in terms if I should continue willfully or not.

After years of thinking about this topic I have come to the conclusion that there are so many different alternatives that are offered by hundreds if not thousands of people, organized and unorganized religions (past & present included) that no one still knows for certain what occurs after your brain shuts down.

It's a mystery to the people who have tried to explain it and still is one thyself. Unfortunately I have a tendency to dread the unknown. Whether it's meeting new people or intensely contemplating if anything continues but flesh decay once the lights go out.

In summary and short, without knowing the exact possibilities after death, I am in dread of the unknown and therefore in terror of death for the mere fact of finding no consistent definition to what occurs to us when we die.
edit on 06/10/2011 by Komod0Dragon because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I know Chuck Norris died 2 weeks ago but death is too scared to tell him...

On a serious note, I don't fear death rather the method of death... Drowning, or a suffering death would be something I fear more... When you're dead, you supposedly feel no more suffering...

I say supposedly because nobody has officially been able to say what happens after the near death hallucinations are over...

Magnum

P.S. One more Chuck Norris joke...

Chuck Norris will never die of a heart attack... his heart isn't foolish enough to attack him...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's ironic this topic came up. I've literally been waiting with the phone for 3 days now for the results of a chest X-ray I had taken because I've farted around with chest pain for 4 years. It's probably why I've posted quite a bit lately.

I can say I might have believed, consciously, at times in my life that I'm not afraid of death, but my body and unconscious at this point of waiting and wondering wtf (after 4 years) seems to be showing some moderate/high signs of stress (sweating/regular bm out of whack/weight loss). In fact, although I eat regularly everyday I've lost over five pounds in 1-2 weeks since I got on the ball with this. Well, it has been hot everyday also.

I am more concerned about those I leave behind, who depend on me for just about everything. So yes, I definately fear death at this point.

I'll post a follow up if I ever get this damned call...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join