It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOHO Catches A UFO ?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Well, since the SOHO satellite is about a million miles from the nearest electronics store (I don't think that's where they got the sensors) that's kind of hard to do.

I wonder how well your cameras would do if exposed to full cosmic and solar radiation. You know, without the benefit of 60 miles of atmosphere to filter it.

edit on 10/11/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
I emailed nrl.navy.mil:
the thread is here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and the image in question
files.abovetopsecret.com...
Question being, how does the same (?) glitch show up over multiple exposures/days?

and this is what I got back:

Ah yes, this is our old friend the cosmic ray (CR) again. Space is absolutely full of them -- high-energy particles, many (in fact most, I believe) of which originate outside out galaxy. They're responsible for the overwhelming majority of the random spots and streaks we see in the LASCO images. The ones in that member's image you point to are no different. It's not unusual to see two or three that look similar in a 24hr period, especially now that SOHO has doubled it's C2 data rate. (Try counting the number of simple 'straight' CR hits per day -- there are dozens!)

So why do these ones have a "tail" and that bright "head"? I'll give you the long explanation, since you seem interested in this stuff...

Tail: CRs are extremely energetic, some more so than others. Using the CR in the 12:12 image for an example, it came in close to the plane of the CCD (camera). As it did so, it interacted with the atoms that constitute the CCD, causing the CR to slow down, lose energy, and create lots of electrons as a by-product. At the point the 'head' begins, the CR has slowed down quite a bit.

Head: The LASCO CCDs are comprised of 1024 rows of 1024 individual pixels, that for the sake of this explanation we'll think of as being buckets. But instead of collecting water, these CCD 'buckets' collect electrons. And just like any bucket, when they get full they overflow. However, our CCDs are designed such that the 'buckets' can only overflow horizontally into adjacent 'buckets'. (This is why the bright planets all have horizontal saturation bars, caused by charge overflowing into adjacent pixels.) Every time we read out an image, we reset the CCD, emptying the 'buckets'. So as this CR comes in and slows down, it creates so many electrons that it starts filling up the CCD 'buckets', which overflow into their neighbors. This process continues until (usually quite abruptly) the CR either passes out of the CCD or loses all of its energy.

So I hope this is reasonably clear. The 'bucket' analogy for CCDs is a particular favorite of mine for explaining their behavior.

Best wishes,
~~Karl

Props for taking the time to email them.
Its a good explanation but there's two cameras that caught this and its hard to believe that an IDENTICAL cosmic ray in shape and form would be caught a few days later. Yes the email reply states "within a 24 hour period" because they would be caught on frames around the one in question. However we have a 13 day span between the two events and the objects were caught on only ONE frame which I find wierd.

For people who want to play numerology let me get to it first...
Oh crap, 13 days in between spotting of the objects in images before the aliens show up on the 13'th!
OMG THEIR HEEEERE GRAB UR TIN FOIL!

link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thanks.
People should now calm down and read this.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
I emailed nrl.navy.mil:
the thread is here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and the image in question
files.abovetopsecret.com...
Question being, how does the same (?) glitch show up over multiple exposures/days?

and this is what I got back:

Ah yes, this is our old friend the cosmic ray (CR) again. Space is absolutely full of them -- high-energy particles, many (in fact most, I believe) of which originate outside out galaxy. They're responsible for the overwhelming majority of the random spots and streaks we see in the LASCO images. The ones in that member's image you point to are no different. It's not unusual to see two or three that look similar in a 24hr period, especially now that SOHO has doubled it's C2 data rate. (Try counting the number of simple 'straight' CR hits per day -- there are dozens!)

So why do these ones have a "tail" and that bright "head"? I'll give you the long explanation, since you seem interested in this stuff...

Tail: CRs are extremely energetic, some more so than others. Using the CR in the 12:12 image for an example, it came in close to the plane of the CCD (camera). As it did so, it interacted with the atoms that constitute the CCD, causing the CR to slow down, lose energy, and create lots of electrons as a by-product. At the point the 'head' begins, the CR has slowed down quite a bit.

Head: The LASCO CCDs are comprised of 1024 rows of 1024 individual pixels, that for the sake of this explanation we'll think of as being buckets. But instead of collecting water, these CCD 'buckets' collect electrons. And just like any bucket, when they get full they overflow. However, our CCDs are designed such that the 'buckets' can only overflow horizontally into adjacent 'buckets'. (This is why the bright planets all have horizontal saturation bars, caused by charge overflowing into adjacent pixels.) Every time we read out an image, we reset the CCD, emptying the 'buckets'. So as this CR comes in and slows down, it creates so many electrons that it starts filling up the CCD 'buckets', which overflow into their neighbors. This process continues until (usually quite abruptly) the CR either passes out of the CCD or loses all of its energy.

So I hope this is reasonably clear. The 'bucket' analogy for CCDs is a particular favorite of mine for explaining their behavior.

Best wishes,
~~Karl

Good work Pauli,
We have someone who found the actual explanation. Indeed "Karl" seems to be saying that the CCD's bump off the Cosmic rays, that's interesting. Not quite sure how the tail effect works though. Anyway between you and the OP and Entry's pictures, we have a really good thread here to think about.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by ZELDAR

That's a completely different shot!

The time on the first image 12:12 10/10/10.

Time on your image is 22:12 10/10/10.

Why post false info?
edit on 10-10-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: lol dates wrong

I just want to add that the rays jetting out are different as well.
Even if someone did change the date/time they didn't use the picture you pointed to. On that, I agree with Wide Eyes.
But....
someone at least changed the 12 in the first image. it doesn't match the rest of the font.
sorry.....

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Thank the maker I thought it was a klingon bird of pray coming for us all

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But they capture, process and evaluate on independent systems! ?????
The chances of the same image glitch is near impossible.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

For real, you now if it's posted on the net it's true, LOL

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I know my cameras would not work, but they werent designed to work. SOHO was. If its the best we have perhaps to many people rely on the information it supplies, information that so many stress is usually flawed by one glitch or another when it captures something of interest to open minded members.

Respects

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by smurfy

On the contrary. Not only do I know what it is. I know what it isn't.

I was writing at the time Pauligirl posted, look at the times, "hers" was the best answer, BTW what is the inference in "what it isn't" I make no claims either way, and I made no assumptions either way, so as someone else has said "calm down"

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

The problem is that people immediately jump to conclusions and speculation without having any knowledge about what they are looking at. Nothing wrong with speculation. Unless it comes from ignorance and that is what the case here has been.

But that's the purpose of ATS, isn't it? To deny that ignorance and replace it with knowledge. It can be a struggle because people, for some reason, really want something with a rational explanation to be something "special".

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by manalien

No they don't. LMSAL uses the images from SOHO. The very same images so the very same artifacts appear.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZELDAR
Totally fake, here is the link to the real picture. sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

You can also find it on the SOHO website.

The picture link you posted differs from the OP's: look bottom left and watch date & time

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
reply to post by smurfy

We do know what it is.. it's energy from the Sun messing with the sensors on the satellite in such a way that is creates weird shapes on the images, and the software from the satellite further distorts the reality of said energy's appearance.

Hi Gift,

"Karl" was actually non-specific as to the cosmic rays, but like I said I was writing at the time of Pauligirl's post. Still, the most interesting thing is the interaction between the CCD's and the rays, I mean think about it.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent
reply to post by smurfy

Thank the maker I thought it was a klingon bird of pray coming for us all

Hi Hill,
I wouldn't worry too much about little green men, they're just envious, and hey, they're everywhere. When I was a kid, UFO films were all "B" movies.....except for "Forbidden planet" of course.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Click on the second link in your own post.

Hit Control + F.

Type "1212" in the search bar and click on either the 512 or the higher res 1024.

Stand corrected and apologize for spreading disinformation. Your first link is not from 101010 it is from 101009, your second link is from the right date, that's why you need to look there since obviously you are not going to see something from the wrong date.
edit on 11-10-2010 by sremmos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by manalien
reply to post by Phage

But they capture, process and evaluate on independent systems! ?????
The chances of the same image glitch is near impossible.

The official debunk position is set buddy.

Resistance is futile.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

What is so interesting about it really?

The LASCO cameras were built in the 80's when digital cameras were hardly in the hands of the public. That is the only interesting thing to me... is that they work so well for being built in that time.

The bucket analogy is quite old, you can read more about it here:
www.specinst.com...

You also have to realize that LASCO stands for "Large Angle Spectrometric Coronagraph". It's not a normal camera, it is a intensity measuring device. Everything black is low intensity, red is medium intensity, white is high intensity. It's a scale. To be a more accurate measuring device it can't just stop filling buckets when they are full, it has to over fill into near by buckets so you can get a good measurement of its true intensity.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Question for Phage:

Can you give us a description of what an actual artificial propelled object might look like on SOHO?

You have explained how this is a high energy discharge or whatever, so what would an actual UFO look like? I imagine it would look significantly different than this if this is just an energy spot in space, and I would like to know "what to look for" or what YOU would consider to not be an "artifact" or glitch.

What do we need to see for it not to be a glitch if a well defined object from two different sources (SOHO and LMSAM) at multiple different angles is just a "high energy particle" or what have you?

I do not mean to be offensive, this is a serious question.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

As I've pointed out several times, LMSAL is not a "different source". They use the images from the SOHO satellite.

If you are looking for an actual object the first thing you look for is that it appears in subsequent frames. The next thing you do is determine that it is not a planet or asteroid. At this point you could have either a comet or a UFO. If it has a trajectory inconsistent with a comet, you might have a UFO.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join