It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladimir Putin Ready to 'Freeze' War in Ukraine With Ceasefire

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't think the western world will accept the terms. They'de rather it escilate than seek any kind of compromise, which most likely will end up with US and Europian forces on the ground....or worse.

Vladimir Putin reportedly views recent gains in the war as enough to sell a victory to the Russian people, saving him from making unpopular decisions like spending more money and mobilising more people.

Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with a ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines, four Russian sources have told the Reuters news agency.

Three of the sources claimed that the Russian leader had expressed frustration about what he views as Western-backed attempts to hinder ceasefire negotiations.

"Putin can fight for as long as it takes, but Putin is also ready for a ceasefire - to freeze the war," a senior Russian source who has reportedly worked with Mr Putin and has knowledge of top-level conversations in the Kremlin, told Reuters.

The Russian president later told a press conference on Friday that peace talks with Ukraine need to be renewed, but they "must reflect realities on the ground".

Sources said freezing the conflict along current lines is a non-negotiable, as it would leave Russia in possession of substantial chunks of four Ukrainian regions, but without full control of any.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has repeatedly ruled out the possibility of a ceasefire, going so far as to sign a decree in 2022 that formally declared any talks with Mr Putin "impossible".

[news.sky.com...]

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If Russia really wants to stop the war get to heck out of Ukraine. As in most things there is the up front reasons for something yet there are usually hidden 'behind the scenes' big reasons also.

It’s no secret that the Russian invasion of Ukraine has not gone according to the Kremlin's plans, with the fight dragging on longer and longer; this is not a good look for Russia and its supporters..
China has long been a partner of Russia, going back as far as the early days of the Cold War. Now, China finds itself embroiled in another proxy war with its old friend. So, what scares China the most about this ongoing conflict?

youtu.be...

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Agreeing to a freeze right now with the current battle lines is basically agreeing to turn Ukraine into another one of those "frozen conflicts" that Putin loves so much on Russia's borders. It would turn Ukraine into a zombie nation--not really alive, and not really dead. Ukraine shouldn't agree to it and we should back Ukraine as long as they want to resist.

+5 more 
posted on May, 24 2024 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

It's already a zombie nation wholly controlled by western intelligence and God knows who else.

How much of the "support" has gone unaccounted for? You should know that number off the top of your head since you're so supportive and all. If not, look it up.

".....we should back Ukraine as long as they want to resist."

Good boy!!! Here's a raisin!

Smh.🤦

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. There's anotherr perspective many share which is why I think they keep it off the news, for the most part.

Ukraine is a nation of a little over 41 million people and long known for it's decades of corruption and oppression. America comprises 340+ milllion people, many who are living in pocerty while billions of $$ is sent from the US alone. Other wesstern nations are also contributing while their citizens struggle.

It's not a popular war and turing it back to the same old corrupt regime isn' appealing to everyone. The more countries support Ukraine financially while citizens fall farther into poverty the less support this war is getting.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It’s probably time to call this one soon, but with assurances.

That said, it’s wild to see aspects of the west so receptive to Russia's position. I won’t act like the west is perfect, but let’s take a look at Russia’s allies. China, Iran, and North Korea. There’s no pretending that this alliance is some kind of anti NWO force.

If this goes wrong, Taiwan very well could be in play. Sadly, the whole global economy is reliant on the 90% advanced chips that are made there.

We’re years off from being able to mitigate such a shift.

I get that people question the west and our failed foreign policy. But the alternative is far more authoritarian and would likely lead toward global instability.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I get that people question the west and our failed foreign policy. But the alternative is far more authoritarian and would likely lead toward global instability.

Thanks, CS. That's the kind of response that makes me think on a larger scale; exactly what I was hoping for.

As far as global instability goes, I can't remember a time in my life when it was worse. We're facing all the big players throwing us under the bus, and none of us can do a damn thing about it.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
If Russia really wants to stop the war get to heck out of Ukraine. As in most things there is the up front reasons for something yet there are usually hidden 'behind the scenes' big reasons also.

It’s no secret that the Russian invasion of Ukraine has not gone according to the Kremlin's plans, with the fight dragging on longer and longer; this is not a good look for Russia and its supporters..
China has long been a partner of Russia, going back as far as the early days of the Cold War. Now, China finds itself embroiled in another proxy war with its old friend. So, what scares China the most about this ongoing conflict?

youtu.be...

You clearly don't get why Russia is there in the first place. It's due to US/NATO pushing closer to Russia border. It was Bush/Obama pushing for Ukraine to join NATO. US broke a promise to Russia that they wouldn't push east to Russia border.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Ideally the world would have a collective come to Jesus moment.

I doubt that happens.

The next best thing would be the west comes to their senses. Again, extreme doubt.

So we’re left with a race to the bottom. It’s a pissing contest where two spheres have brought the world to the brink out of cockiness and pride. On one hand, you have the west who is nimble for economic reasons and the fact the political structure can move with the wind. On the opposition you have a structure that doesn’t have to navigate as much bureaucracy but can make decisions without being hamstrung.

It will be sloppy, but I still think the west wins against Russia who has an economy smaller than Texas, China who is realizing the effects of communism and the one child policy, and Iran who already had a pissed off populace who knows their environment just a generation or two ago.

That said, since it is sloppy, everyone gets to share the hurt.

We’re merely witnesses at this point.
edit on 24-5-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Big change in dynamics.

Zelenskyy is out of power.

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Why do people always come out with your line about the size of Russia's economy?
Selling #ty Starbucks coffee and Door Dash is not a good economy.Service industry pretend jobs therefore pretend economy, dodgy way to count said economy.
Russia is self sufficient in minerals,food and manufacture,therefore resources.
Hence why #ty service economy,make little depend on the Chinks and third world for manufacturing West wish to rape and plunder Russia.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007

originally posted by: 727Sky

youtu.be...

You clearly don't get why Russia is there in the first place. It's due to US/NATO pushing closer to Russia border. It was Bush/Obama pushing for Ukraine to join NATO. US broke a promise to Russia that they wouldn't push east to Russia border.

That’s a load of nonsense right there, NATO was no threat to Russia and Putin knew it, he just used the NATO threat as a propaganda so he had an excuse to invade Ukraine. It was actually just a land grab.

Not so much different to how Bush used Saddam being a threat to ‘freedom’ as an excuse to invade Iraq, when it was really about oil.

Not to mention Finland and Sweden joined NATO specifically because of the Ukraine invasion, which Putin must have realized was going to be an inevitable outcome. So no, it had nothing to do with NATO!

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

Yep that is the excuse that is being batted around for the invasion....In the meantime NATO is bigger and better than it has ever been with the joining and arming of new members. Another great excuse is how corrupt Ukraine is as a country while their cities and people are being killed by Russians arms and the "over in two weeks so said Putin" military doctrine Russia had a few short years ago. If people want this to stop then go home Russian troops and protect your own borders and try to figure out why your armaments suck and your weapon exports have cratered except to the most poor of the world.

Russia, other than such trust worthy allies like IRAN (for weapon technology) and CHINA (for Russian oil) is being ostracized on the world stage.

Good news I suppose for Russia is the great purge within the inner circles of the Kremlin both by arrest and out right assassinations of top military leaders continues ... As people who have done business in Russia know the whole systems is just one Mafia syndicate that requires both kick backs and payoffs to get anything done; presently Putin is the top dog but for how much longer we will have to wait and see..NERO comes to mind.

edit on 727thk24 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

Also, the US didn’t promise to Russia that they wouldn’t push east. It was apart of the original agreement, but then the US took it off the table and paid Russia instead, which Russia accepted, btw.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

I’m aware of the American tropes and am often willing to voice my dissatisfaction with our trajectory.

I’m also sorry reality doesn’t line up with your perceived unfair comparison between the US and Russia.

There’s a theme that many lean towards that Russia is somehow cracking the code on commodities. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the US is the number one oil producer, many years in a row.

We’re also the leader in technological IP. There’s an argument to be made that we’re vulnerable in the supply chain to satisfy our needs, but Russia isn’t part of that problem.

Russia is a legacy power who’s stuck in the past. And they’re far from self sufficient if they have any intention in remaining relevant.

Look no further than their ally of convenience China for a true adversary.

But even they’re not the boogeyman most would have us believe.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 12:45 AM
link   
My mind keeps going back to the past, when Iran and the US were allies; when that fizzled out, Iran and Russia cozied.
Same thing going on with China; now they're in the bad country catagory and cossing up to Russia. It's like a faceoff between the western world and the Brics.

I think this is going to be a big free-for-all if someone doesn't say uncle soon.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376

Why do people always come out with your line about the size of Russia's economy?
Selling #ty Starbucks coffee and Door Dash is not a good economy.Service industry pretend jobs therefore pretend economy, dodgy way to count said economy.
Russia is self sufficient in minerals,food and manufacture,therefore resources.
Hence why #ty service economy,make little depend on the Chinks and third world for manufacturing West wish to rape and plunder Russia.

The US is the second largest manufacturing economy in the world producing almost ten times what Russia does.

People mention the size of russian economy as the argument is constantly made that the west can't afford to keep supporting Ukraine. The reality is the economics factors are massively stacked against Russia.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I don't think the western world will accept the terms.

Its not up to 'the western world' whether to accept any terms or not, its Ukraine's choice and no-one elses.

They'de rather it escilate than seek any kind of compromise, which most likely will end up with US and Europian forces on the ground

Then why hasn't NATO escalated it?
Well over two years down the line and still no NATO forces directly involved....if getting NATO boots on the ground was a primary goal or objective they would have been there a long time ago, but they aren't.

....or worse.

Only people threatening worse are Putin and Medvedev with their repeated threats to nuke anyone who dares to oppose their invasion.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare
Big change in dynamics.

Zelenskyy is out of power.

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

Because Putin says so?

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The condition for ending the Special Military Operation (not war, since no one officially declared war on anyone) is the complete surrender of NATO in Ukraine. Any schoolchild in Russia knows this.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join