It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

Actually, no. Any time that someone's accomplishment is based on their race first, and their accomplishment second, it's highlighting the racial divide.

We need to stop identifying people by their racial heritage first and as Americans second. You're all "Americans".

You never hear the term "African-Canadian" now, do you?

Actually, a Canadian mentioned "African Canadians" a few pages back.. Some ones not paying attention

And her race didn't come first, the actual *winning* did

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I never thought about it that much before, but I guess I kind of agree. Will every achievement made for the first time by a particular race need to be announced. I can somewhat understand, because of the mindset of the people of the past, why it was done in the past.

But we need to take a step forward eventually. And we need to decide what steps we want to invest our timergy in. And choose which direction, which pathway, these steps will lead us to. I have to say I would prefer a pathway of unity. A pathway that will take us to a future where our differences are not pointed out everytime we are mentioned.

In cases where identification to the point of skin color and facial features are necessary like police investigations, it is understandable to mention assumed or known race if it helps to catch a criminal faster, proper terms should be used, once we decide what those are. People in private should speak however they wish and its their choice what level of respect they want to show in any situation. But the media needs to be held to a higher standard of responsibility.

How long do they plan on doing this? 15-20 years from now, will we be hearing about the first black woman to drive a flying car? Until every possible instance has been used to point out our differences? It 0was a white woman who made the comment at the Olympics, right? So this isn't something that is coming from "the black community", no, THIS is an indication of the media being used as a tool by someone powerful to trick the world, and especially the "black community", into thinking its about celebrating the achievements of the "black people", when its really about "divide and conquer" tactics prying a wedge between us all.

Rather than integrating all cultures that have come to America and providing an atmosphere that would encourage us all to work together, we have instead been bombarded by propaganda and passive psychological mindgames that keep all the old divisions in place. We have members of all races making a great contribution, yet the blacks are kept in the mindset that they cant catch a fair break and they may as well not even try, and other non whites are generally the same with little adjustments and variations here and there, but the overall, general message is really the same at heart: "You are not as good as all the other races, especially whites. You are not wanted. Stay among your own kind if you want to survive. Just like prison."

And don't get me wrong because the whites do not get out of this unscathed. No, its the average lower or middle class white person who catches all the flack for the shenanagens the elites are pulling.

The most important thing to remember is that we are ALL being preyed upon and fooled equally by the same people.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My how soon we forget history.

1936 Summer Olympics

The "race" card was being played back then as well.

And that mentality that plays race cards all of the time, leads to various potential pitfalls that we may all wish to avoid. Caution must be observed when playing with fire, after all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Aha, OP just got *owned* by the last few pages of contributers

Glad that's cleared up.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good on Gabby. If her win has done enough to make closeted racists break their backs, she most certainly has made a milestone. She should be both proud of representing her country and moving the sport further for all kinds of people.

There are alot of people on this forum that need to start doing some serious soul searching. On one last note, people are so quick to talk about "political correctness" while in the same breath expecting political correctness to be applied because they were offended. Hypocrisy.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
Here's something I've always wondered. What are black people referred to as in other parts of the world? Here in the USA the politically correct term is African American, what is the correct term in say in Britain? Are black people referred to as British Africans or just considered Brits?

In Brazil, we just call everybody just brazilian. I never understood why in US they call afro american, irish american blah blah... It never made much sense to me.
edit on 3/8/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Glad that's cleared up.

Um no actually, there is no "ownage" , winning, or losing when it comes to the fact that the MSM makes sure to racially profile a specific race...it's sad really more than anything. I'm not here to "own" anyone...but nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such...only African Americans are labeled. That is the real issue...as to why they do that, and the fact that it is accepted as being ok...or "politically correct" to racially profile.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
this is such a ridiculous thread it makes the lizard people topics look logical in comparison.

The op doesnt realize her ethnic background was mentioned because it was a RARITY

Further as spoke pointed out you dont have a problem with them being broken up by nationality yet you get in a huff over race. You cant have it both ways. You like a few other posters here seem to have this immense paranoia that the media is out to get whites yet instead of actual posting about instances where whites are discriminated against you instead focus on preposterous nonsense like this and black dating sites.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

when it comes to the fact that the MSM makes sure to racially profile a specific race...it's sad really more than anything.

They profile all races, did you miss my post? www.abovetopsecret.com...

.only African Americans are labeled

Wrong, see above

nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such

It has been explained to you a million times. And Caucasian Americans are labeled when they succeed in areas that are rare to, like hip-hop.
edit on 3-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Glad that's cleared up.

Um no actually, there is no "ownage" , winning, or losing when it comes to the fact that the MSM makes sure to racially profile a specific race...it's sad really more than anything. I'm not here to "own" anyone...but nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such...only African Americans are labeled. That is the real issue...as to why they do that, and the fact that it is accepted as being ok...or "politically correct" to racially profile.

They already did. her race was mentioned because it was a rarity. If it was a woman being first to do this it would be mentioned, if it was a person with a handicap it would be mentioned etc,etc

You really need to let it go. Youre making yourself look worse the more you try to drag this on.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

If you think that the MSM only focuses on black people then I don't know what world you live in. The fact that you only notice black people being mentioned probably means you have an issue with them. I thought it was common knowledge that the media acknowledges any minority group and females.

Mexican Immigrant Becomes US Olympic Track Star

Born in Mexico, Manzano moved to the United States with his family when he was 4. He was raised in Texas, where he became a nine-time state track champion.

“Growing up in the Hispanic community, you don’t really expect to go to the Olympics,” Manzano said. “A lot of my friends were kind of expected to go to college. With [my parents], it was, ‘As long as you graduate high school, we’re fine.

latino.foxnews.com...

Pro Basketball's First Asian-American Player Looks At Lin, And Applauds

www.npr.org...

An undrafted Asian American from Harvard excelling for the storied New York Knicks in the NBA's most famous arena is unlikely enough.

www.usatoday.com...

How's this for a football stat? From an island of just 65,000 people, there are more than 30 players of Samoan descent in the NFL and over 200 playing Division I college ball.

www.cbsnews.com...

Certainly, Eminem was the first white rapper since the Beastie Boys to garner both sales and critical respect, but his impact exceeded this confining distinction.

www.mtv.com...

Interesting, no I did not ignore this post at all. But can you show me one, just one example of where the MSM recognizes a Caucasian American and labels them as such and I mean in the Olympic coverage not outside of it?

I have personally not seen this yet. Why not? If they are going to recognize races then they must recognize ALL races not just minorities in order to stay fair. Or is there some bizarre agenda as to why they absolutely refuse to do so? Enlighten me.
edit on 3-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: Olympic

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
I find it funny she's biting her medal like a gold digger...and the fact that they keep calling her the flying squirrel?

NO...that has nothing to do with the fact she's brown....not at all.

I find it funny that you're ignoring how Lochte (the white guy) not only bit his gold medal (like countless other Olympians) but he also wore a GRILL, FFS.

Also, most squirrels I've ever seen are grey. You're thinking of chipmunks. Fail.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

but nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such...

Yes they have...repeatedly...you are just ignoring it.

I love how you try to play it off like you are concerned about African Americans...but you don't want to hear about their accomplishments.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by Sinny

That's culture

Indeed.

But is there not a correlation between culuture and race? With the exception of some individuals, as were all individual.

Not every Indian is a good cook, and not every English man drinks tea, but we generalise them due to congregation?

Anyway, that could have its own thesis written, we'll save it for a rainy day

Yeah but we generalise due to the existing stereo-types and groups of people established into a society.

There is no correlation between culture and race (or even skin colour) when you take out the external environment.

To make things like skin colour or race as a defining allowable, socially acceptable term; then we truley are prejudice in lumping all people into categories that they have absolute no control over, regardless of the content of their character, up-bringing or the environment they grow up in.

I can see why people like pride in a minority or racial group that has historically been treated as inferior. But to be treated as an equal, a true equal, then we must say if that difference doesn't matter, then it shouldn't be raised beyond the initial concept of describing a physical individual.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

But she IS African American.

Have you asked her how she feels about it before speaking on her behalf?

What if she is proud to say "Im the first African American woman to do this"...

If thats the case, your tottally raining on her parade.

(Just an alternative view point, In my opinion, your drawing more attention to the fact, than the commentators did)

NO, she is NOT "African American"

She is an American. Period.

She has never stepped foot in Africa, and neither has her Mother/Father, Grandmother/Grandfather.

She is no more African American than I am Italian American.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Actually her race is a pretty big deal considering that the top tiers of gymnastics are dominated by people of Caucasian decent. There isn't just the level of competition for black athletes in this sport to contend with there is in fact a substantial income barrier. You whining conservatives should be praising this beautiful young woman for her self determination on her road to becoming an Olympic champion.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

OP, seriously, its not all that long ago, African Americans were slaves and suffered greatly.

200 Years ago IS A LONG TIME ago. Its 8 generations, long past.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Glad that's cleared up.

They already did. her race was mentioned because it was a rarity. If it was a woman being first to do this it would be mentioned, if it was a person with a handicap it would be mentioned etc,etc

You really need to let it go. Youre making yourself look worse the more you try to drag this on.

Well, I wasn't intending on trying to look better or worse, doesn't matter to me. I was only truly trying to understand why it's OK for African Americans to be called and labeled as such, and yet being labeled and referred to as a "Caucasian American" is never used in the Olympic setting. And the way that the MSM have refused to label Caucasian Americans as such yet they made sure to label Gabby as "African American" did raise red flags for me, which is why I believe it is indeed important to understand the reasoning behind it.
edit on 3-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: quotes

edit on 3-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
NO, she is NOT "African American"

She is an American. Period.

She has never stepped foot in Africa,

Millions of Irish Americans have never set foot of Ireland,
Millions of Italian Americans have never set foot on Italian soil
There are a number of Mexican Americans who have never set foot on Mexican soil, believe it or not.

What's the point? The point is, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging your culture, your heritage. In the end we're all Americans, but cultural ties are strong in American society, this is just a reality. In the end who cares? If you want to celebrate her success as an American athlete, as an American, you do that, you need not worry yourself about how others choose to celebrate her achievement. This is Gabby's time, Gabby's achievement.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I really wonder about the mental stability of a handful here.

No. It was not disgusting. it is, sadly, necessary in a world full of American Southerners and TeaBags who are bigots to the core. Were it not for them, then race would not matter. if it wasn't for voting repression laws passed in RED STATES that GOPers ADMIT are to suppress the minority vote . . this wouldn't be necessary.

Grow up and educate yourself. Wanna rage? Rage against the Southern Man.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join