It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

No doubt you are a white. The accomplishment might not be noteworthy to you as a white person because you never have to think about barriers.

Seriously? You want to go down that road? A white person never has to think about barriers?

So all white people are the same as Mitt Romney? Are we all the same as Einstein? Are we all the same as Yao Ming? All white folks are the same, no barriers to our success whatsoever.

What about white women? Women face barriers. What about a 30 year old white male that wants to be a cop in Philadelphia or Tulsa, Oklahoma, he can't because they don't have enough black cops to meet their quota. What about my white children that want to attend a magnet school here in my town? They can't because there are enough white kids, but they need native americans. Of course, my kids also happen to be native americans, so what is the point of the quota in the first place?

I'm going to get way off track here and wind up getting a post removed, but I worked in child support enforcement, I've worked in construction companies, I've worked for health departments, the barriers that minorities face in the year 2012 are self-inflicted cultural barriers. There used to be real barriers, but nowadays the barriers come from within their own communitites.

The barriers of the 60's were real racism, the barriers of the 80's were drug-related, but the barriers of the 2000's are just cultural acceptance of ridiculous "norms." I can point to 100 primarily white counties in the US that have barriers such as poverty and meth that are just as large and seemingly insurmountable as the ones the inner-cities face. It isn't a racial thing, it is a cultural norm that expects failure, and expects someone else to solve the problems.

Well over half of all the major cities in the US currently has a black mayor, there is a black president, there are black doctors, lawyers, university presidents, quarterbacks, head-coaches, hell there's even a promising young Nascar driver.

The days of "firsts" are pretty much over, but if we still want to celebrate them within the confines of the US, I don't have a problem with that, but it is inappropriate on the world stage when there are places like Nigeria and South Africa and the Congo where the problems are a lot more serious than whether or not a black kid has access to a gymnastics gym.

IN FACT, my kids would LOVE to take gymnastics, but I'd have to drive them 15 miles over to a little community center to get them in a gymnastics gym. I can't afford the "white" gyms, and I can't afford the time or drive to take them to the "community" gyms, so my white kids actually have a lot LESS access than the black kids in my town.

No barriers, nope, I sure am glad to be a white guy. Just got my credit score from the Credit Union yesterday when I borrowed $1800 to buy a used van, and my 593 FICO didn't look very "white" to me.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm sure you didn't feel any outrage when Hillary Clinton was named the first woman secretary of state.

Actually, you might be able to find some of my posts from when I first joined ATS, where I thought it was a stupid distinction to make. Hillary was well-qualified for the position, and for the media to make a big deal out of her being a woman made it seem like the bar was set lower for her. I was appalled at the coverage. Since then, she has done a great job in the position, just as I suspected she would, and the fact that she was a woman didn't make a single bit of difference pro or con in her carrying out of her duties.

Celebrating her as the "first woman" is equivalent to being concerned because she is the "first woman" and they are both stupid things to focus on when she is obviously qualified for the position.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

National Pride and celebration of athletic achievement is the purpose, race never has been......before anyway.

Yeah, so national pride is perfectly acceptable but racial isn't. Makes a lot of sense...nope. Either you have disdain for all collectivist pride or none. You can't pick and choose.

Actually, I am proud of my nation, even if I strongly distrust and dislike the Government ruling it. I hang a flag out front on 3 dates through the year, and it's a big one too.

I do not, however, hang a flag out for my ancestry carrying back to England and Scotland on one side and Germany on the other. It's not relevant and I don't identify myself first and foremost as a White American or a European or German or Scottish American. I'm just an American.

Likewise, should the world just stare in wonder if a white athlete out of one of the traditionally black African nations some day earns a medal from their team? I sure don't think so. I see a nation's team at the Olympics. Even if I personally just watch open and close to see them there. I don't look or give a hoot to race, in any direction for the games.

* The last one I really remember who did...Ironically, was pissed that a Black man made his nation look stupid at his own hosted games. So... In hindsight, there is one exception where I suppose race was humorous and served to stick it to a racist.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Last comment added

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
BS. There was no "playing the race card." I watched it too. All Costas did was celebrate and acknowledge her accomplishment, mark another barrier broken and express hope it might inspire little African-American girls to join the sport.

No doubt you are a white. The accomplishment might not be noteworthy to you as a white person because you never have to think about barriers. But it likely does and should mean something special to black kids. It is just like Obama becoming president and marking that.

You do not have and can't be expected have perspective on the issue as a white person. You never doubted the, "hey, that could be me" thought.

Like it or not, people are different and those differences do separate us in little ways. That separation does not mean we can't successfully live together in a harmonic mixed world. Far from it.

You might start to understand if you've ever been the only white guy in a sea of black people you did not know at night. Tell me that would not make you feel different and a little separate. Years ago, me and six friends (3 women, three men) left the resort in Jamaica late at night and went to a club (this was on the north side of the island, in the mountain lowlands). Maybe 12 midnight or so. Hundreds of black young adults, drinking and partying, sweating in the heat and music (no AC) packed together in a standing room only way. Squeezing our way through that crowd was the first time I ever really thought, "Wow, so this is what it feels like." It was uncomfortable, though I was a bit mad at myself for feeling uncomfortable, but we all fully felt and noted the "what are you people doing here?" vibe. And I'm someone who grew up with one of my best friends who was half Haitian, half Mexican. I knew him since he was a little kid, so he was just Jean (John) to me. In never in all those years even had an inkling of what it felt to be him until that moment.

Congratulation Gabby. I hope you are an inspiration to little girls everywhere who can now know they can dream of such things with validation it is possible. ...And may you disturb and annoy all the racists in our midst, causing them heartburn and angst.

One final note, I WAS really disgusted though by seeing a sea of tweets from African American people ragging on Gabby's hair. That was some sorry, low life $*&$%. Is she supposed to make her like some straight-haired blond? Is she required to iron out her natural kinks?
edit on 3-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by pajoly because: clarity

You're right about one thing. Little girls everywhere of ALL races should be inspired by this young athlete...not just little African American girls.

In order for our society to evolve we must start by treating everyone equally. And by equally, I mean not caring what color your skin is or what race you are, but by caring about what you do as a human being. Sure people are different, but if the MSM is going to keep segregating us all by race, then they should refer to everyone by their race, not just African Americans. That goes for ALL races. My personal race was not a factor in my recognizing this blatant separationist tactic by the MSM to categorize this young athlete not as an American, but as an African American.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

First White Nigerian Runner wins 1500m

Dammit, I actually could see that as a headline. I wouldn't agree with it, but it would get some attention, so the MSM would probably run with it.

Or, since they can't say black or white, how would it be politically correct.... "Amero-Nigerian" or "Caucasion-Nigerian" or "Euro-Kenyan"

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

The sad thing is....It isn't even slang or derogatory to suggest any of that. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised by the way the media has come to almost revel in division and assigning everyone into opposing camps on almost every issue. Even something as seemingly innocent as a girl having the moment of her life and all her work come to fruition.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: removed quote

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Not reading through all this racist / not racist tennis........just one question has anyone asked this young lass what she classes herself as ????

Wolfie

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Not reading through all this racist / not racist tennis........just one question has anyone asked this young lass what she classes herself as ????

Wolfie

Well, she considers herself a child of god and gives god the glory and thanks for her accomplishments, I read that.

That's what we all are, children of god.
edit on 033131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Actually, I am proud of my nation, even if I strongly distrust and dislike the Government ruling it. I hang a flag out front on 3 dates through the year, and it's a big one too

So you buy into collectivist pride. Great, then stop complaining if someone mentions their racial identity if you have no problem with mentioning their nationality. It is the exact same mentality and concept.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

reply to post by AutOmatIc

Being broken down by your country is not the same as being singled out by your race.

It is the EXACT same thing. It is all about collectivist identity. Why label her American? She's human. You're being divisive.

They specifically brought up the subject of her race, but not any of the other races. Why not?

Because black gymnasts are rare. It was also because she was the first black person to win. The media always names firsts. I'm sure you didn't feel any outrage when Hillary Clinton was named the first woman secretary of state.
edit on 3-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

First, no it is not the exact same thing. Because most countries have several different races that make them up. Yet the Olympics are about competing for your country, not for your race. So no I'm not being divisive.

Second, why are we still paying attention to things like "black gymnasts are rare"? Who cares what color their skin is...how good are they at gymnastics? Their skin color or race has absolutely zero bearing upon their performance.

Third...I am not sexist so no I really didn't care one way or the other about a woman being named first woman secretary of state.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Making something out of nothing again are they?!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Huh? The agenda is to bring the races together against their will to destroy them.This agenda has been known for years and why would the elite seperate us when they want us to be controlled by them?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Or, since they can't say black or white, how would it be politically correct.... "Amero-Nigerian" or "Caucasion-Nigerian" or "Euro-Kenyan"

Africans of European ancestry (or less commonly European Africans or Euro Africans [8]) are people of European descent living in Africa.

Sizable numbers of Anglo-African people are also nationals of Ghana, Namibia, Tanzania, Swaziland (3% of the population),[20] Nigeria,[21] and Botswana.[22]

Anglo-Africans are White African people of largely British descent who live or come from Sub-Saharan Africa and are Anglophone. A large majority live in South Africa. Along with Afrikaners, Anglo-Africans are officially grouped as White South Africans, comprising 39% of the total White South African demographic.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Whos agenda?

You're the same guy that thinks incest will not cause genetic defects.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

"Euro-Africans" or "Anglo-Africans"

Thanks for that!

I don't see any of them winning a 1500m anytime soon though, but if the do, I suppose it will end up in a headline somewhere, and we can all come back and switch sides and start all over.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The Olympics is a world-wide event. The US problems dont' apply to the whole world. There was no need to bring this up on that stage. In my opinion this was not an appropriate statement or topic to be brought up in the context of the Olympics where every nation and every race, nationality, sex, and creed are reprsented. She is just an American at this event, not an "African-American" and not a "black-American," and not a black athlete in general. She is an American that won the gold medal. The NBC coverage was out of line and embarrassing.

It IS a milestone for the United States.

NBC is providing coverage to the United States...not the World.

You are running out of justifications for your anger.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

You are running out of justifications for your anger.

Oh no, my wife would tell you I am the KING of justification and deflection. I won't run out any time soon.

Seriously though, when I saw that last night, I was happy for Gabby, but disappointed and disgusted when I heard Bob Costas do his little spiel at the end. Justified or not, logical or not, racist or not, it was Bob Costas that offended me, not Gabby. I'm thrilled for her, unhappy with NBC. If that makes me a racist, I don't understand how, but call it what you will.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
It's all part of the agenda meant to keep up seperated into tiny controllable herds. It's easy to see really, if people would open their eyes. It's done a great job too, from my observations.

Yeah how many bankers do you see in the olympics?

2-3...none maybe?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Bob Costas did not make this statement on the World Stage as you are trying to make it out to be.

He made a comment to his American viewing audience, commenting on an American milestone.

There is zero reason why anyone should be upset about it, unless they are angry that the milestone was crossed and don't want people to celebrate it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Actually, I am proud of my nation, even if I strongly distrust and dislike the Government ruling it. I hang a flag out front on 3 dates through the year, and it's a big one too

So you buy into collectivist pride. Great, then stop complaining if someone mentions their racial identity if you have no problem with mentioning their nationality. It is the exact same mentality and concept.

The fact so many cannot appreciate the difference between Nationalist Pride and Racist Division lies at the heart of two major problems. How our nation is on the verge of a race war in some areas, and the fact the Olympics seem to be little more than an annoying interruption to TV programming for so many now.

The evils of Racism aren't solved by highlighting divisions at every possible opportunity and by the brightest lights possible. If pride in the nation is now equivalent to the evils of Racism, then it must be borderless worlds some dream of.

Equality is doable and right. The other? Insane... So my thinking goes. Heck..I haven't had my flag out. Maybe I'll fly it the rest of today just for the heck of it. Who said it takes an occasion to be proud I'm American?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join