It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Any semi-intelligent person has the ability to recognize when a non-race issue is spotlighted to be one from the MSM.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It is also a nice service to those of us who are blind, and wish to follow the Olympics, like my cousin.

The more information, visuals and facts you can give a blind person, the better.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
Shame on the O.P. Nobody but people like yourself are offended by this. You guys just reach for anything huh? I work in the American sports media, and Miss Douglas is nothing but a darling.
YOU are the type that brings "race" to the forefront. What's wrong the acknowledgment of her record breaking?

I'm sure she is a darling, sweet looking kid. Good on her again for the Gold medal.

Bringing race to the forefront is what this thread is about.

It shouldn't be.

She is an American, very talented and should be commended and commented by just that. Leave race claims out of it. It creates divide.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
... and Hiroshi Hoketsu is the "oldest" athlete at the London Olympics...

Hiroshi Hoketsu

... how dare they use an adjective to describe an athlete! We shouldn't care about an athletes' age, only how good an athlete they are!

Hey look!... here's a story about a "white" Jamaican... they are trying to divide us!... Not just point out an unusual characteristic of an athlete...

Jamaican Rider Proves White Girls Can Jump

The fact is, there is a distinction, especially in the US, created from a history of racial issues. In a sense the media is "damned-if-you-do,-damned-if-you-don't" currently. If no-one had mentioned her race, chances are someone would have stood up and said "you're ignoring her race!" Many African Americans are proud of their racial difference from the majority of US citizens, and do actually care if she was the first African American to achieve something at the Olympics.

Regardless of how the media or people choose to view the achievement... or some others perception or reporting of the achievement...

Good on her!
edit on 3-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Um no. I don't have a racist bone in my body. However when you point out that the MSM is specifically labeling African Americans and not labeling Caucasian Americans such as Phelps, or Franklin then yes, there is something wrong. If I were an African American I would be upset because this way of labeling you and not everyone else is extremely racist by the MSM!

No I'm not "hung up" about race, just pointing out the hypocrisy and possible sinister agenda of the MSM to make sure that they point out the race of the athletes but only when they are African Americans, and not when they are any other race. Hence the lack of the MSM referring to white athletes as Caucasians, or Asian Americans...haven't heard them use those terms not even once. Only the term African American....when it should have just been American.

Really?

What about THIS

How is that any different to "The first African American"?.....neither are racist.....both are FACTS.
edit on 3/8/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Well she really is the first black woman/American to win. I don't see the big deal in getting angry over it. The MSM are just kinda pointing out the obvious. Plus it is a good thing for the black community to see more people in positive role like Olympic gold medalist instead of the other stereotypes perpetuated by the MSM such as, "gangster" or "welfare mom".
edit on 3-8-2012 by leelo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

NO, she is NOT "African American" She is an American. Period. She has never stepped foot in Africa, and neither has her Mother/Father, Grandmother/Grandfather. She is no more African American than I am Italian American.

No she is African American. Period.....that is her ethnicity......and I'd bet she'd give you a right mouthful if you said that to her face!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Don't forget the Chinese athlete who won the swimming competition. Typical USA jumped up and down screaming black and blue that she was on performance enhancing wotsits (which turned out to be untrue).

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

But, if we were truly color-blind, then those types of things wouldn't matter now, would they? If we were truly color-blind, the MSM wouldn't have even noticed her race or given it a second thought.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Quick question, are there african australians, african brits, african french, african italians?? do they actually call them that in those respective countries??
edit on 3-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

As I wrote before... In Brazil, we don't add a afro, italo etc before brazilian because well.. don't make much sense because they are all brazilian. We may use refer to italian descent, spain, africa, japan etc if you are talking about the someone personal history, about family, childhood... but never put into a news something like 'the first portuguese-brazilian' to do x, y or z. We would pay more attention about nationality origin than ethnic group.
edit on 3/8/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I was watching the BBC when they said over and over again that she was the first African American to win gold and I thought to myself, why dont they say "he she is the first African German or African Russian or hell even the first Mongolian Chinese"

I can't see why her skin colour somehow makes it more important that she won gold. She an American. Ever wondered why there are no Chinese Americans, Spanish Americans or even Pakistani Americans.

Black people are not any more bloody special than anyone else in the world so we and they need to stop this crap about how different they are by there skin colour.

Shes and American and that should be it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
And let's face... just saying african is kinda wrong... Africa is fu***** HUGE continent.

2nd line

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
nnot only was the 'black' gynmast singled out as something out of the Neitzche 'superman' line of thought

but a presuming democrat was spewing the filth that Romney is targeting his message for 'whites only'
the voice sounded like a local democrat in the Chicago , minority, political apparatus

or else a black female in the sound association i have been programmed with for the past 40 some years

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

total non issue, do not give the OP posts they do not deserve. it was the first time it happened, get over it. jackie robinson was the first black baseball player, this girl was the first black gymnast. good for them. move along.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Actually, before he was elected Obama was referred to as the first black president.

However once he got elected it became more about Obama, the first mixed-race president.

Arguably, this isn't one of those instances where distinguishing someone's race is a bad thing. It shows that American gymnastics isn't a totally white and Asian dominated sport, turns out everyone can come to the table on this one.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Yeah I think the OP just wanted to start a "race thread". Race threads seem pretty popular on this site, not surprisingly.
It seems like a pretty easy way to get "stars and flags."

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well my birth certificate from the state of Virginia says colored can I go back and change my birth certificate ? that is the label I was given as well as many other living breathing Americans can also share with you, I am sure there are many others that could read to you negroe or colored that are a little older than I am on their birth certificate, how do you like that? also using the term African American is confusing also, I mean as a black man this whole naming has been confusing my entire life because it seems like early in my life pre 1978 or so I was black and thats what I call myself as far as ethnicity and nationality identification because you know there are little boxes that categorize you when you fill out any government form or even private company employment application just about anywhere in the U.S, then somewhere along the way circa 1980 or so this term, African American appeared, I would like to know the persons responsible because I for one do not like it, I have friends and neighbors from Tunisia and other places in Africa whom I consider that term if it had to apply would be more suitable.

Now on the OP, I think the posting is a little overboard I mean this sort of thing has been used for years to characterize first of this or that kind of individual how many times do you hear it used with gender ? the first woman or female to do this or that? are there complaints? another example is that I think of some of the people of Asian descent recently that I work with that when the sports news were describing the basketball player Jeremy Linn, being the first Asian American in the NBA they were elated and seemingly very proud, no one was jumping up saying the race card was being played, it actually helped me to differentiate for instance, the fact that in my thinking this was not true, I thought Yao Ming was but then my friend said no, he is Chinese, and then it dawned on me yes that is true because I forgot he was from China.

I think the moment that birth certificates, forms for employment and other paperwork for qualifications stop putting boxes on them for ethnic identity it would be a first step in hopefully eliminating differences, but then lets be honest we are all different, should we stop saying white (Caucasian), black (African American), Asian or Hispanic ? to separate within the human race? but honestly how politically correct can you get?

Just my thoughts

edit on 3-8-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is probably one of the stupidest threads i have read on here.... That includes abduction, nibiru and zimmerman threads.... this takes the cake

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Oh Dude, as much as I despise Bob Costas and his Liberal Agenda, especially during football season, I profoundly have to disagree with you here.

The young woman, Gabby, deserves all the credit due. I didnt feel offended by Bob promoting her African American heritage in any way. Even though she and her parents and grandparents were born in America not Africa.

Personally, I would love to see more Black American Youth get more involved in more diverse sports than mainly "basketball" followed by football, and track.

America has another Gold Medal Winner in the Women's Gymnastics All Around, Back to Back Olympics to my knowledge. By the same coach. That is an achievement. And since she is only 16 or 17 I would love to see her try to come back in 4 years and attempt to repeat if possible.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Now I understand what they meant by, "United we stand, divided we fall". Its a good thing for the framers of modern society that we are all about the differences. Otherwise we might be united against "them".

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join