It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best Rice dish i've ever tasted... Kimchi Rice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: StarsInDust

Cabbage in itself is an acquired taste, not sure why someone would put them through the initial process of trying to acquire it, unless it was forced upon you as a child. Anyhow, from what I am hearing from everyone here, once you get past that part it is a passion. This kind of reminds me of someone who had some sort of terrible drug forced upon them; except this buried, half rotten stuff is said to be good for us???

Acquired tasted for those that are not born eating it.
Just like any food that you aren’t used to.

When Americans travel to Europe they might be off put by the cheese smells in the markets, or the non refrigerated meats.

When Asians travel to America they might be off put by the very large Soda filled out the brim with ice along with overly sweet foods.

When Europeans travel to America they might be off put by breads that they consider sweet.

These are all things that are loved by natives but taste/smell weird to foreigners because they aren’t used to them, but over time they could have a fondness for them.

Is it rotten? I find that a strong word. Is cheese rotten, is yogurt rotten, is beef jerky rotten? If yes then so is Kimchi, if no, then neither is Kimchi.
Also I find it rather disrespectful you calling it a terrible drug. Is that how you want your native food described?
It does have a pungent smell that is LOVED by it’s native eaters.

Also learn about kimchi before calling it a terrible drug. It is considered a superfood. It’s been around for over 4000 years.
It is a drug, but in the best most natural way in that it helps the gut and your microbiome. It is a staple of Korea and such Koreans have one of the healthiest diets on planet earth. It’s health benefits is not an opinion or as you put “half rotten stuff is said to be good for us?” It’s a fact.
Similar to sauerkraut the process of fermentation creates good bacteria that is vital to health.

edit on 12-12-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: putnam6

HMart

HMart makes kimchi based on regional palates. In the Midwest it is a lot more mild than the Pacific Northwest.

I really enjoy my Kimchi JAG please direct me to the best source, Ive gotten burned so many times ordering it. But it definitely one of my favs and I don't mind ordering a good batch.

John's Superfoods has seemed to be fairly good and balanced in pricing and taste. But Id bet Id be blown away by authentic Kimchi. I really enjoy all types of fermented cuisines Indian relishes, with turmeric etc, are so damn good.

You know how sometimes when you eat something healthy it's like your body craves it, I feel that way about KimChi and to a lesser extentSaurkraut.

Here's my go-to source somebody recommended it if you get a chance look at it and tell me what you think. I need to order some more the last vendor I tried wasn't as good.

johnssuperfoods.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Johns super food kimchi has great reviews but it would be a pass for me.

I like kimchi stored/fermented in either glass or clay. Some would say it doesn’t make a difference but I think it makes a huge difference. It’s like Mexican coke in a bottle vs. regular coke in a can. The taste is different.

Making homemade is best but if bought I really like some of the HMart kimchi’s with the 5000 year foods label.
I love real homemade sauerkraut too.

Also making it homemade isn’t as scary as some would think, it’s actually quite easy if you follow the directions.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your detailed review. I also read similar kind of review about hwachae at a website.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I was talking about itsmyownway.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2024 @ 03:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join