It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This question is slightly off topic but still relevant. In the MSM when someone has commited a crime the media will be quick to say the person was African American, Mexican, Hispanic, etc. Yet if the person who commited the crime was white they usually dont mention the race of the criminal. Where is all the outrage for that?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
Well, I wasn't intending on trying to look better or worse, doesn't matter to me. I was only truly trying to understand why it's OK for African Americans to be called and labeled as such, and yet being labeled and referred to as a "Caucasian American" is never used in the Olympic setting.

Well first of all, there's no continent or country referred to as "Caucasia". There is a region called the Caucas in Southern Russia, but it is a small region. Caucasian people have already celebrated their firsts in the Olympics far back, before the sport really became diverse. There's no point in them doing so now. There's also another fact that African Americans cannot trace their ancestry to specific parts of Africa like Nigeria or Ghana, mainly because those countries did not exist when they were taken from them all those centuries ago, and that it is hard to trace back their exact origins given the manner in which slaves were taken and the circumstances. In contrast, Most Caucasians could easily trace back their exact heritage to specific countries like Italy or Germany, mainly because they were sovereign states and the peoples of those states held unique national cultures at that period. There are a number of circumstances to point to why there is a different view when African Americans celebrate an achievement for the first time, and when European Americans celebrate an achievement. You're trying to paint this broad brush over history as if these circumstances have never existed, and you are greately mistakened for doing so.

And the way that the MSM have refused to label Caucasian Americans

We should be proud of the athletes representing us in the Olympics regardless, but maybe you could explain to me why these Olympics are a special time for European Americans compared to others?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Two things I can agree on; one this thread wasnt necessary, just another star and flag whore on ats..

Two, the point the OP is making is that America has ALL sorts of colours, so does Canada, Sweden Germany, China, Norway, Russia.... It is unnecessary to call the winning athlete "African" if she is representing America, as she is american born, so an american citizen. Including "African" is including the RACE, which has no meaning.. they should of just said "An american athlete has won gold medal", but yes.. they threw in the colour card.

Bottom line, who cares? They are athletes, they spend their lives doing nothing but what they accel at, they become very good at it, to the point they can compete with the world's contenders. Regardless of region of Earth or colour of skin, they are athletes of human kind.

*End of Story*

~ Love is an art
edit on 3-8-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I really wonder about the mental stability of a handful here.

No. It was not disgusting. it is, sadly, necessary in a world full of American Southerners and TeaBags who are bigots to the core. Were it not for them, then race would not matter. if it wasn't for voting repression laws passed in RED STATES that GOPers ADMIT are to suppress the minority vote . . this wouldn't be necessary.

Grow up and educate yourself. Wanna rage? Rage against the Southern Man.

But aren't you carrying on their legacy?

"If it weren't for them, race wouldn't matter" To most sane people it doesn't and shouldn't. Therefore to leap ahead a little shouldn't we just cut all the race/black/white stuff and just get on with being equal without the divides or barriers?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt
Two things I can agree on; one this thread wasnt necessary, just another star and flag whore on ats..

*End of Story*

~ Love is an art

Therefore why give your opinion (which I cut out)?

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Interesting, no I did not ignore this post at all. But can you show me one, just one example of where the MSM recognizes a Caucasian American and labels them as such and I mean in the Olympic coverage not outside of it?

I have personally not seen this yet. Why not? If they are going to recognize races then they must recognize ALL races not just minorities in order to stay fair. Or is there some bizarre agenda as to why they absolutely refuse to do so? Enlighten me.

He's not American, but if Christophe Lemaitre (France) does well in the 200m then the media will emphasise the fact that he is white. If there was only one white guy in the race and he won, that would be worthy of note wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Originally posted by Sinny
Aha, OP just got *owned* by the last few pages of contributers

Glad that's cleared up.

Um no actually, there is no "ownage" , winning, or losing when it comes to the fact that the MSM makes sure to racially profile a specific race...it's sad really more than anything. I'm not here to "own" anyone...but nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such...only African Americans are labeled. That is the real issue...as to why they do that, and the fact that it is accepted as being ok...or "politically correct" to racially profile.

They already did. her race was mentioned because it was a rarity. If it was a woman being first to do this it would be mentioned, if it was a person with a handicap it would be mentioned etc,etc

You really need to let it go. Youre making yourself look worse the more you try to drag this on.

Well, I wasn't intending on trying to look better or worse, doesn't matter to me. I was only truly trying to understand why it's OK for African Americans to be called and labeled as such, and yet being labeled and referred to as a "Caucasian American" is never used in the Olympic setting. And the way that the MSM have refused to label Caucasian Americans as such yet they made sure to label Gabby as "African American" did raise red flags for me, which is why I believe it is indeed important to understand the reasoning behind it.
edit on 3-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: quotes

edit on 3-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

You couldnt use common sense and deduce it was clearly because she was the only black to achieve that?

Like the comparisons i gave, if someone with some sort of disability won they would be talking about them being the first person with what ever they have wrong with them to win. You would actually be wondering why they are mentioning it , it wouldnt be obvious to you?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This thread is 16 pages long so I’m sure someone has said it but I have to agree with the OP; in a prior winter Olympics there was an African American woman who won a medal on the two-woman bob-sled team and the first thing out of the female reporter’s mouth was “did you know you’re the first African American to win an Olympic gold medal” – the reporter might as well have said, “Hey – do you know that you’re black and it’s beyond belief that you actually won an Olympic medal?”

Quite disgusting in this day and age.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks for a well thought out answer, was indeed interesting however it still did not address the reason as to why the MSM will immediately label a African American athlete as such, and not make sure to label the other races of the other athletes that are competing.

For example they did NOT talk about Gabby's teammate Jordyn Wieber being of Lebanese descent by labeling her as a "Lebanese American". As in, "The Lebanese American Jordyn Wiber wins gold!"

No. They did not. So why label Gabby?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
This question is slightly off topic but still relevant. In the MSM when someone has commited a crime the media will be quick to say the person was African American, Mexican, Hispanic, etc. Yet if the person who commited the crime was white they usually dont mention the race of the criminal. Where is all the outrage for that?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Don't know where you live, but on the news here in Australia they mention it when it's a White person that has commited the crime........

And as for the OP, they were doing the same thing during the Sydney Olympics with Cathy Freeman. I lost count how many times they mentioned that she is Aboriginal, and how she is doing the Aboriginal people proud. At the end of the day, it's just another way for the media to "celebrate" diversity.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat

I really wonder about the mental stability of a handful here.

No. It was not disgusting. it is, sadly, necessary in a world full of American Southerners and TeaBags who are bigots to the core. Were it not for them, then race would not matter. if it wasn't for voting repression laws passed in RED STATES that GOPers ADMIT are to suppress the minority vote . . this wouldn't be necessary.

Grow up and educate yourself. Wanna rage? Rage against the Southern Man.

Yeah... On that first point, we agree 100%.

I also do wonder and worry about the stability of some people here.

I really do.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Quick question, are there african australians, african brits, african french, african italians?? do they actually call them that in those respective countries??
edit on 3-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Quick question, are there african australians, african brits, african french, african italians?? do they actually call them that in those respective countries??

As far as I know I have never heard these terms used by the MSM here in the USA in reference to those countries Olympic athletes.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

As far as I know I have never heard these terms used by the MSM here in the USA in reference to those countries Olympic athletes.

Well what I am trying to figure out is if other countries label people by their race/ethnicity. DO they refer to black person born and raised in australia an african australian?? or just australian??

Is african american labeled that way to reflect ethnicity or race??

It just gets very confusing to me because to me it seems that if you say American it assumed they are white because if they were not white they would have terms such as african, or asian american in front of it. So shouldn't there be eurpoean americans?? if it has to do with region like asia or africa... or irish american?? french americans?? german americans russian americans?? Or are they not labeled that way because their ethnicity is not so apparent as an asian persons or a black person.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

For example they did NOT talk about Gabby's teammate Jordyn Wieber being of Lebanese descent by labeling her as a "Lebanese American". As in, "The Lebanese American Jordyn Wiber wins gold!"

It is hard to judge how the media in general is portraying someone when they get relatively little airtime. However, you wouldn't know about her Lebanese ancestry in the first place if the media didn't deem that it was worth mentioning. If she had won gold and if she was the first Lebanese American to do so, then I can't see any reason why the media would not have pointed that out.

So why label Gabby?

Because the media is going to pick up on someone or something that is 'the first' of anything. There's nothing sinister about that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

200 years go?

Helloooooo, the civil rights act was signed in the 1960s. That is not 200 years. Institutionalized racism is still common place.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

To point out the that she is black or (African American) is only instilling in people's head that "hey she is different than us, but good job anyways". Disgusts me.

So when Obama was inaugurated as the first black president of America, did you have the fact that "hey he is different" instilled in your head......and were you disgusted?

How is relating a fact to the viewing public racist?.......she was the first African American to win in that particular event, and whilst she is an American first and foremost, her ethnicity is African American, and I'll bet she is as proud of that as she is of her Olympic medal!

PC crowd need to take a reality check!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Funny you should mention institutionalized racism. I just read something about that. It actually has zero to do with actual racism, but unconscious racial tendancies. A bunch of doctors would pass the biggotry test that was given, but somehow they were almost all treating whites better than blacks. Turns out it is contagious as well, just from reading facial expressions. Strange stuff.

One experiment, they showed a silent video of a nice white guy, talking to a black guy. Another group was shown a silent video of a racist white guy talking to a black guy. The control group was only shown a picture of the black dude, and showed the racist white guy talking. Almost everyone in group two and three, even the black people, had negative opinions of the black guy. Racism is contagious.
edit on Fri, 03 Aug 2012 20:20:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

No. I believe the point is that it wasn't a thing at all, until it was advertised as a thing. Now, it's the only thing.

It truly is a sad thing. Hooray for that American winning Gold.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Shame on the O.P. Nobody but people like yourself are offended by this. You guys just reach for anything huh? I work in the American sports media, and Miss Douglas is nothing but a darling.
YOU are the type that brings "race" to the forefront. What's wrong the acknowledgment of her record breaking?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join