It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NosmoKing
This thread is 16 pages long so I’m sure someone has said it but I have to agree with the OP; in a prior winter Olympics there was an African American woman who won a medal on the two-woman bob-sled team and the first thing out of the female reporter’s mouth was “did you know you’re the first African American to win an Olympic gold medal” – the reporter might as well have said, “Hey – do you know that you’re black and it’s beyond belief that you actually won an Olympic medal?”

Quite disgusting in this day and age.

Thank you for that. I'm laughing right now because you actually said it, not because it's not 100% true. That is basically what so much would seem to be saying to minorities.

@ to a couple comments about her biting the medal,

I won't touch on the vile ones...but why shouldn't they all bite it? The gold content is now a fraction of a % the last I saw something in the news. It's anything but gold these days. Heck, I figured it was a slam on that fact personally.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Surely no class in biting ones metal....its tacky, and the squirrels where I live....are indeed brown....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
reply to post by 00nunya00

Surely no class in biting ones metal....its tacky, and the squirrels where I live....are indeed brown....

The squirrels where i live are grey.... And a few albino.....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

The gorillas here are grey, the squirrels are brown, and the sheilas come in assorted flavors.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Is anyone even going to consider that some people do take pride in what race they are? I mean, it is clear, by your opinions, you do not take pride in your race. That's fine, I don't have to think the same way as you.

I am proud to say I am Native American and I am proud to say that I am part of the Comanche tribe, because that is part of my ancestry. I am not "just human" I am a unique human, I am me. I have the blood of my ancestors flowing through me, without them I wouldn't be here.

Being Native American is part of me.

Why would I feel offended if that was mentioned, especially if it was mentioned is a positive light?

Being upset because one can take pride in their own race is like being upset that one can take pride in being a citizen of their country or taking pride in their culture or indeed, taking pride in their family.

edit on 3-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It may seem crazy to emphasize her race so much, but it is also ignorant to forget where african americans came from in our backwards society.

It is sad that we didn't get it right the first time, but theres more than just race involved. You are focusing only on the race and excluding the history. African Americans have not always been able to compete, ya know?

This is not only a triumph for African Americans, but the united states as a whole. It shows how far we've come as a nation, and provides hope for the future. A miraculous victory indeed!
edit on 3-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: sorry, can't seem to get spelling right tonight

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
directly afterwards the commentator made well sure that everyone not forget that she is the first African American to win the gold in that particular event.

Ummm... she's Afro-American, right? She's the first of her racial denomination to achieve the feat, right? So, the commentary is accurate, right? Ummm... so... errrr... where's the problem here??

If a Caucasian athlete won the 100-meter sprint, would a statement to the above effect be racist too...?

You Ameritards - black and white - really need to get the f$#& over skin colour / race / creed. Whether it be hypersensitive blacks who scramble for their "gats" at the mere inference of their co-opted "N-word", or do-gooder whites who think eliciting a 'million man march' at merest mention of someone's melanin levels is their path to redemption; America sure is a nation enslaved to its past, like few other.

I guess, "Idiot America" wasn't coined without basis, after all...

edit on 3-8-2012 by Sablicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by AutOmatIc

But she IS African American.

Have you asked her how she feels about it before speaking on her behalf?

What if she is proud to say "Im the first African American woman to do this"...

If thats the case, your tottally raining on her parade.

(Just an alternative view point, In my opinion, your drawing more attention to the fact, than the commentators

did)

And if Phelps had said "I'm the first white American to ......" he'd be called a racist.

Skin colour and ancestral heritage shouldn't be used to create division within a Country.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

I think you're all making something out of nothing. She may not be the first "American" to win the medal, but she's the first African American. This is a point of pride for her. I'm one of the last people to say there isn't any racism in the country, check out any right wing blog and much of ATS and you'll see it, but this isn't it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The OP has a point.

We in the UK do not say ''African-British'' or ''African-English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish'' to describe any of our citizens that are not of caucasian persuasion, so why do you (US) say ''African-American''?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Calling her African American isn't altogether untrue OP. I see what you're saying, but she's obviously black which is cool I guess, I'm just stoked an American won!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
The OP has a point.

We in the UK do not say ''African-British'' or ''African-English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish'' to describe any of our citizens that are not of caucasian persuasion, so why do you (US) say ''African-American''?

Because you don't have the same history as the US has with race relations.

You do know it was illegal just 50 years ago for non-whites to use the "whites only" drinking fountains and bathrooms...right? You do know that blacks were forced to sit on the back of the bus so the whites didn't have to look at them right...only 50 years ago...one generation...there are people still alive today that had to endure places legally telling them "We don't serve 'n-word's here".

So yes...in an attempt to take some power and pride back...they started calling themselves "African American" instead of being defined by the color of their skin, they decided they would be defined by their origin.

50 years ago, not a very long time ago...that means that someones parents...someones grandparents....someones great grandparents lived through being defined by the color of their skin.

So please don't come here and act like it is dumb for them to choose to define themselves with a name that doesn't include the color of their skin.
edit on 4-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Some people don't seem to get it...

It doesn't matter whether what is said about a race is 'good' or 'bad'...the point is that they want to continuously classify us according to race, make us constantly filter our perceptions of people along racial lines. There will never be true racial harmony, so long as we must always qualify our observations of people according to the color of their skin.

*NOTE* This doesn't automatically make EVERYONE racist. But as long as racial divide is the standard for interperpretation of who people are, there will be a significant amount of people who make an issue out of it, and there will not be true racial harmony.

Though this particular case isn't that big of a deal, in my eyes, since it is cool for someone to be the first 'black person' to win an event...but the overall 'tactic' is clear, regardless of whether this particular instance may be somewhat justified...
edit on 4-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The OP has a point.

We call them "African-Americans" because they are Americans of African descent. It is mostly used as a descriptive term, but it is also a distinction of the ancestral background one identifies with.

How do people in the UK identify their ancestry as?
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
divide and conquer.
as long as they keep us separated from each other with their, similar to bigotry acts as the NEWS are filtered since the moment they leave "scene" to the moment it reaches your television which, eventually, you start to babble like the freak'n television.

this here pisses me off.
in somewhat relevant to this post, when i fill out application anywhere and you get to that question which asks.....
RACE:..., i always put other.
why the question? ehhhhhh
edit on 4-8-2012 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Gabby Douglas WON Gold?

Way to go Gabby!

What? Shes African American?

Meh...

Way to go kid. Great Job, We love ya.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Honestly, the term "African American" is in itself a joke. People with ancestral heritage from Africa that live in Europe aren't labeled "African Europeans", we don't call the thousands of German/Irish/English mutts that now live here, German-Irish-English Americans. Just like we don't call polish people living in America, Polish Americans. Making sure that there is a "clear" distinction for some "races" and grouping the rest keeps the race war alive and burning.

Sadly, I really thought that Obama might initiate a change or at least point this out, silly me, but I guess the race subject is usually sidestepped by most. That is to say, save for the media when a White-Hispanic kills an.....well I won't even go there.

TLDR - We are all Americans. Lets cut it with the "sub-grouping" labels.
edit on 4-8-2012 by thepainweaver because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2012 by thepainweaver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

You missed the point. We shouldn't even be looking at her race at all. We should only be looking at the fact that she is an amazing athlete, the fact that she is African American shouldn't even be mentioned...ever.

Whilst I agree unfortunately they get away with it being a factual statement.

When you need to state race on anything its a step in the wrong direction....I'm human, end of...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I haven't read this entire thread, but I can't believe this went on for 18 pages. Seriously, it's not that difficult....

It's kind of like this... imagine the announcer said, "She's the first woman to take the gold in blah blah blah."

Does that statement make you feel "uneasy," like it's actually an MSM feminist agenda to destroy all penises in the world, and pit men against women when in fact we're all human?

Obviously it shouldn't bother you at all-- you would simply acknowledge the fact, maybe your heart warms a little knowing how far a group that has historically been discriminated against has progressed. But at the end of the day, you're still yourself and you go about your day. YOU DON'T HAVE TO CUT YOUR BALLS OFF.

That's all that's going on here really (more or less). Let people celebrate the accomplishment and go about your day. Are you so insecure that this actually pisses you off??

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

The OP has a point.

Because you don't have the same history as the US has with race relations.

You do know it was illegal just 50 years ago for non-whites to use the "whites only" drinking fountains and bathrooms...right? You do know that blacks were forced to sit on the back of the bus so the whites didn't have to look at them right...only 50 years ago...one generation...there are people still alive today that had to endure places legally telling them "We don't serve 'n-word's here".

So yes...in an attempt to take some power and pride back...they started calling themselves "African American" instead of being defined by the color of their skin, they decided they would be defined by their origin.

50 years ago, not a very long time ago...that means that someones parents...someones grandparents....someones great grandparents lived through being defined by the color of their skin.

So please don't come here and act like it is dumb for them to choose to define themselves with a name that doesn't include the color of their skin.
edit on 4-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Interesting, yet the Europeans had slavery long before the Americans and they do not identify themselves as "African Europeans". While there is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to have pride in your origins, I believe that my original point was made that in the Olympic arena the athletes are identified more often than not by their country that they are representing and not by their race. Such as the Germans vs the Chinese, or the British vs the Americans....you see? And NOT the African Americans vs the African British. Like I said before, why did they not point out and label Jordyn Wieber as a "Lebanese American"? It is a slippery slope when the MSM focuses upon one specific race, and not all of them and loses sight of the point...the point being that these athletes are representing their countries, and not their ethnic races.

Otherwise they wouldn't be called the "Olympic Games", they would be called the "Ethnic Origin Race Games"...

edit on 4-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: specific

edit on 4-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: games

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join