It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

because if they did want to be treated equally then African Americans would not want to be labeled as such, and be called only Americans, just like everyone else.

Ummm... if you go ask the average White American what ethinciity they are, they will tell you German, Italian, Swedish, etc. What world do you live in? Keep talking more, your racism is coming out.

Why do they do that? What makes them any more special than any other race?

Not true, MSM frequently calls people Mexican Americans, Latinos, Asians, whatever.

, but neglecting to label white Americans as Caucasian Americans

It would be like saying "Mitt Romney, a white male presidential candidate". It makes NO sense. It is the societal normal, the USA is 70% white, it means nothing to mention it. Whites also do not have a collective identity of being discriminated against institutionally.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

So you know the history...but you want to ignore the fact that hundreds of years of enslavement and systematically being held down might just have put that certain group of people at a huge disadvantage in many areas.

You are right, everyone does want to be treated equally...unfortunately we are not there yet. But when something like this happens...it IS a sign that things are getting closer to where we actually can say everyone is equal.

So yes...we should celebrate it...it is destroying a barrier, shattering a glass ceiling, passing a milestone...whatever you want to call it...it is a sign that the group of people that were severely disadvantage due to legal enslavement and suppression are finally able to climb out of that disadvantage and be equal to others.

And yes...at some point there will be no more firsts...that is a good thing. Not good because Whitey McRacist won't have to hear about those "blacks" succedding at something again and they are sooooo tired of hearing about the successes of those "blacks" (and yes...let's call them "blacks"...let's define them by their skin color to remind them they are different
)...but it will be good because hopefully by that time everyone will truly be equal and not get offended by people celebrating a milestone.

But until then...we have to suffer people like you and others who are "offended" by this.
edit on 3-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I seriously feel more dumb by reading this thread.

When Yao Ming entered the NBA, guess what!? It was a pretty big deal because he was a huge chinese guy playing in the NBA which has/is dominated by anything BUT Chinese players. Were people racist for stating this impressive fact? Of course not!

There was absolutely nothing racist or disgusting about the reporter stating as a fact that she was the first African American to win a gymnastics gold medal. Given the history of African Americans here in the US, this was something said in celebration to African Americans in a sport that has been dominated by Caucasians. If you seriously can't see the context of all of this then I suspect you're the one with issues, not the reporter.

edit on 3-8-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Embodying class inequalities, a history of discrimination, and the realities of residential segregation, many Olympic sports are dominated by whites because the spaces, the neighborhoods, the schools and the very institutions that produce those recreational and elite athletes are racially segregated. Whether swimming, diving, or gymnastics, the pipeline to the Olympics is one where youth of color find difficult entry, if not outright exclusion.

Evident in these spaces, pay-to-swim spots, gymnastic facilities, and countless other spaces that contribute to the development of elite athletes are inaccessible to poor communities of color. The consequences of restricting play to the well-to-do communities, of limiting access to recreation, and otherwise maintaining a system of de facto segregation when it comes to physical activity, contributes to an Olympic Movement defined by Jim Crow.

Food and differential access is also part of the answer. Studies ubiquitously illustrate the segregation has effectively cut off poor communities of color from affordable healthy food. North Carolina study concluded that only 8 percent of black residents lived in close proximity to a supermarket compared to 31 percent of whites

"Play areas -- like much of the inner city -- have become increasingly fortified by steel fences, wrought-iron gates, padlocks, and razor sharp ribbon wire" (1998, p. 196). Noting that in cities like Cleveland and New York City, which each saw closure of between 40 and 50 million dollars worth of recreation facilities in the late 1970s, Kelley argues that play and spaces of recreation have increasingly only been accessible within middle-class (white) suburban communities..

Communities of color, and America's poor, are disconnected from the very facilities and resources necessary to become a great champion. Access to pools, coaches, gyms, and healthy foods, remains a dream deferred for communities of color, meaning the dreams of an Olympic birth are all too distant as well.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Did the author of the OP ever consider that an american winning a medal in gymnastics is simply not as newsworthy as a black american winning? The only conspiracy is one of winning the ratings war and "sexing up" the news!

Sheesh n14 pages on and some people just can't see beyond their personal and blatantly obvious agenda!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
I seriously feel more dumb by reading this thread.

When Yao Ming entered the NBA, guess what!? It was a pretty big deal because he was a huge chinese guy playing in the NBA which has/is dominated by anything BUT Chinese players. Were people racist for stating this impressive fact? Of course not!

There was absolutely nothing racist or disgusting about the reporter stating as a fact that she was the first African American to win a gymnastics gold medal. Given the history of African Americans here in the US, this was something said in celebration to African Americans in a sport that has been dominated by Caucasians here in the US. If you seriously can't see the context of all of this then I suspect you're the one with issues, not the reporter.

DING DING DING

Gold Medal for this one right here. Said exactly what I wanted to PERFECTLY.

Okay, I know I said I wasn't coming back to this thread, but I just wanted to see if someone would say what I thought when I read this post. Now, I'm done.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I find it funny she's biting her medal like a gold digger...and the fact that they keep calling her the flying squirrel?

NO...that has nothing to do with the fact she's brown....not at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

because if they did want to be treated equally then African Americans would not want to be labeled as such, and be called only Americans, just like everyone else.

Ummm... if you go ask the average White American what ethinciity they are, they will tell you German, Italian, Swedish, etc. What world do you live in? Keep talking more, your racism is coming out.

Why do they do that? What makes them any more special than any other race?

Not true, MSM frequently calls people Mexican Americans, Latinos, Asians, whatever.

, but neglecting to label white Americans as Caucasian Americans

It would be like saying "Mitt Romney, a white male presidential candidate". It makes NO sense. It is the societal normal, the USA is 70% white, it means nothing to mention it. Whites also do not have a collective identity of being discriminated against institutionally.

Um no. I don't have a racist bone in my body. However when you point out that the MSM is specifically labeling African Americans and not labeling Caucasian Americans such as Phelps, or Franklin then yes, there is something wrong. If I were an African American I would be upset because this way of labeling you and not everyone else is extremely racist by the MSM!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Wow, really? Of course I know the history of slavery in the USA. But in this day and age where everyone wants to be treated equally, it sure seems like they truly do not want to be treated equally, because if they did want to be treated equally then African Americans would not want to be labeled as such, and be called only Americans, just like everyone else.

This is the point that most people are missing. That the MSM is specifically labeling black Americans as African Americans, but neglecting to label white Americans as Caucasian Americans, or even any other race as such. Why do they do that? What makes them any more special than any other race? Nothing does. And so they should be treated like everyone else and not have a specific label and in this case the label is "African Americans".

You can treat people equal without pretending like you don't notice their race. She's the first African American to win the Gold, don't see how that's a big deal to point it out.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by King_John

Wow, really? Of course I know the history of slavery in the USA. But in this day and age where everyone wants to be treated equally, it sure seems like they truly do not want to be treated equally, because if they did want to be treated equally then African Americans would not want to be labeled as such, and be called only Americans, just like everyone else.

This is the point that most people are missing. That the MSM is specifically labeling black Americans as African Americans, but neglecting to label white Americans as Caucasian Americans, or even any other race as such. Why do they do that? What makes them any more special than any other race? Nothing does. And so they should be treated like everyone else and not have a specific label and in this case the label is "African Americans".

You can treat people equal without pretending like you don't notice their race. She's the first African American to win the Gold, don't see how that's a big deal to point it out.

Because they don't point out that Phelps was the first Caucasian American to win more medals than anyone...and they do not point out his race yet they do point out her race. How is this not messed up?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I think you've gone over-board on this....

Its a statement only... the first girl who isn't white to win a Gold in the Gymnastics! Its a fact.... dont think it has anything to do with race!

And she is 'African American' or at least her Parents probably are...She may be fully American!

I do know what you mean though.... In my line of work 'Ethnicity' is one thing which counts me out of a lot of Jobs!!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Because they don't point out that Phelps was the first Caucasian American to win more medals than anyone...and they do not point out his race yet they do point out her race. How is this not messed up?

Because swimming is a Caucasian dominated sport, pointing out the fact that Phelps is Caucasian would be pretty redundant. Being the first of your race to do something as big as win a gold medal is something of note.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Clearly you're hung up about race somewhere.

They mentioned her race because it is a RARITY. Black gymnasts are extremely uncommon. It is statistically improbable that a Black American will even come an Olympian due to the history of the country and the environment it has caused in the present day.

It is the same reason why the MSM has no problem mentioning Eminem's race for being a white rapper. 99% of rap superstars are BLACK. It would be redundant to mention the race of every black rapper anytime they win some sort of hip~hop award or accomplishment. But if you're white, it is not expected and worth mentioning.

edit on 3-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Because swimming is a Caucasian dominated sport, pointing out the fact that Phelps is Caucasian would be pretty redundant. Being the first of your race to do something as big as win a gold medal is something of note.

Redundant or not, that's not the point. If they are going to point out the race of one athlete, then they must point out the race of all athletes. Simple. That is true fairness...although they, in my opinion shouldn't point out any races whatsoever and only point out the countries that the athletes are from, as this post was concerning Olympic coverage and the MSM.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

Originally posted by Sinny

But she IS African American.

Have you asked her how she feels about it before speaking on her behalf?

What if she is proud to say "Im the first African American woman to do this"...

If thats the case, your tottally raining on her parade.

(Just an alternative view point, In my opinion, your drawing more attention to the fact, than the commentators did)

And if Phelps had said "I'm the first white American to ......" he'd be called a racist.

Skin colour and ancestral heritage shouldn't be used to create division within a Country.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

If he were the first White American to win a olympic gold metal in his sport in United States history, no one would think it was racist if he or the media proclaimed this. It would be factually correct and applauded. Jeez white men need to stop acting like victims when the fact of the matter is they pretty much run the world.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Clearly you're hung up about race somewhere.

They mentioned her race because it is a RARITY. Black gymnasts are extremely uncommon. It is statistically improbable that a Black American will even come an Olympian due to the history of the country and the environment it has caused in the present day.

It is the same reason why the MSM has no problem mentioning Eminem's race for being a white rapper.

No I'm not "hung up" about race, just pointing out the hypocrisy and possible sinister agenda of the MSM to make sure that they point out the race of the athletes but only when they are African Americans, and not when they are any other race. Hence the lack of the MSM referring to white athletes as Caucasians, or Asian Americans...haven't heard them use those terms not even once. Only the term African American....when it should have just been American.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by King_John

Because swimming is a Caucasian dominated sport, pointing out the fact that Phelps is Caucasian would be pretty redundant.

It's amazing people don't comprehend this.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

If you think that the MSM only focuses on black people then I don't know what world you live in. The fact that you only notice black people being mentioned probably means you have an issue with them. I thought it was common knowledge that the media acknowledges any minority group and females.

Mexican Immigrant Becomes US Olympic Track Star

Born in Mexico, Manzano moved to the United States with his family when he was 4. He was raised in Texas, where he became a nine-time state track champion.

“Growing up in the Hispanic community, you don’t really expect to go to the Olympics,” Manzano said. “A lot of my friends were kind of expected to go to college. With [my parents], it was, ‘As long as you graduate high school, we’re fine.

latino.foxnews.com...

Pro Basketball's First Asian-American Player Looks At Lin, And Applauds

www.npr.org...

An undrafted Asian American from Harvard excelling for the storied New York Knicks in the NBA's most famous arena is unlikely enough.

www.usatoday.com...

How's this for a football stat? From an island of just 65,000 people, there are more than 30 players of Samoan descent in the NFL and over 200 playing Division I college ball.

www.cbsnews.com...

Certainly, Eminem was the first white rapper since the Beastie Boys to garner both sales and critical respect, but his impact exceeded this confining distinction.

www.mtv.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

No I'm not "hung up" about race

Yes it does seem you are hung up on race...but it seems like it's only when the reporting is positive about a minority.

Or do you call outrage when the media or when ATS threads specifically address a person being "black" when a crime is committed???

I gave three examples earlier in the thread...I didn't notice you in there outraged that they mentioned race.
edit on 3-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Stop giving them the attention they want with the crap they produce. When you go online and start huge discussions over practically nothing it keeps the issue going. Just drop it all, make notes of the racism and try to be a friendly person. You don't need to waste your time or others talking about # all.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join