It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best Rice dish i've ever tasted... Kimchi Rice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I bought some kimchi just to try it. Its good but it takes a bit of getting used to. It doesn't smell great but once you have a couple bites it grows on you. So i dug around trying to find something to do with it and i found this recipe.

This rice is the best rice dish i've ever had... and im happy to share it!

1cup Kimchi (cut into thumb nail size pieces)

150g bacon (3-4 strips cut into thumb nail size pieces)

2cups rice (i used basmati)

2eggs

1-2 cloves minced garlic

1/4cup Kimchi juice

1tsp seasame seed oil

1-2tbs toasted seasame seeds

1stock green onion to garnish

First toast your sesasme seeds, and chop your Kimchi, bacon, garlic... make your rice and let it sit to dry. Add a couple of tbs of oil to a large pan on med heat and toss the garlic in for about 30 seconds. Add the bacon and cook until its about half cooked while stiring so as not to burn your garlic. Add your Kimchi and continue to cook for 4-5 mins. Add your rice and Kimchi juice and mix well. Add a tsp of seasame seed oil, mix well. Crack two eggs over top the mixture and continue to cook on med high heat until the eggs are mixed throughout and well done.

Remove from the heat and add your toasted sesame seeds...

Mix well and serve! 👌

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   
A sweet little Korean lass told me that kimchi is an acquired taste but once acquired it's a passion. Indeed.

"Kimchi breath" is a common tease in the ROK. Personally I think it's makes for a great kiss. Kimchi is fermented, pickled if you will, and as such a very healthy dish too.
edit on 11-12-2022 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

its definitely an acquired taste. Eating it alone takes a bit of getting used to, but like i said it grows on you...

Lemmie tell ya though, i'll be buying more of it now that i made this rice

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Adding some to ramen makes for a damn-near gourmet experience. I even like some with pizza and, yeah, your recipe looks like a winner. I'll be trying it. thanks.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Two of my favorite foods! I will be trying this tomorrow night! I'm glad you shared this recipe; thanks!

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Gonna try this recipe

I love Kimchi I try and eat for health reasons but I love the taste, it's great in soups as well mixed in some Ramen with some Asian veggies and some shrimp chicken beef etc add an egg and it's a damn good meal

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I like Kimchi....but there is a lot of not so good stuff they sell at the local stores. I used to know people over the years that made it themselves, that was great stuff. Some Chinese and other Asian restaurants make it in their kitchens and they pride themselves on kimchi they make around here. But some just use the commercial stuff which is not very tasty.

If I eat too much kimchi it gives me a bad headache...probably because it contains tyramines. I have not had any soups containing it that I know of yet. Maybe I will have to go try it at a Korean restaurant we have here in Marquette to see if it is any good if they have it here.

I tried about three or four of the bottled stuff on the shelves at supermarkets over the last ten years...wound up throwing out two half bottles of that because it wasn't worth the headache I get from eating it.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I remember yakking to former soldiers telling me that "Kimchi" was a highly desired dish. Also heard stories of buried pottery that was buried for month's at a time creating a very medicinal 'Kimchi'.

Am interested in hearing more from everyone on their experiences and any 'old wives tales' they may have also had heard about 'Kimchi'

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
I remember yakking to former soldiers telling me that "Kimchi" was a highly desired dish. Also heard stories of buried pottery that was buried for month's at a time creating a very medicinal 'Kimchi'.

Am interested in hearing more from everyone on their experiences and any 'old wives tales' they may have also had heard about 'Kimchi'

ATS’s very own resident Korean here.

Before my mom passed she made sure to make kimchi with me one last time. Every family has their own recipe.

She also told me a wives tale.
Cabbage is said to be a series of sacrifices.
First it dies when you cut it from the ground. Then it gets drowned in salt. Then it killed again in a spice bath. Then it gets cut. Then it gets buried and fermented & made into kimchi. One last death might be cooking it.

I probably left out good portions of the story, but the gist was the poor cabbage gave up so much so we can enjoy it.

There are numerous types of kimchi, thousands. A spring kimchi is made from new spring onions. My mom said do not wash them, then put them in a jar with spring water and let it sit, after a month that tonic could cure anything.

I have a couple of the clay onggi. You put foods in there and bury to ferment. The flavor is completely different and how it’s made to be stored. The pots breathe. That winter kimchi is absolutely the best.

The stuff they sell at the grocery store is garbage, doesn’t even have the right flavor.

edit on 12-12-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Adding some to ramen makes for a damn-near gourmet experience. I even like some with pizza and, yeah, your recipe looks like a winner. I'll be trying it. thanks.

Here is the best ramen you’ll ever have.

Sappoor Ichiban Ramen original flavor.
Add Kimchi, Soft boiled egg, and leftover Beef Brisket.

HEAVEN, pure Heaven!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 12:18 AM
link   
HowToBasic just uploaded a video on how to make kimchi. I'll take this thread as a sign that I need to follow his recipe and make it.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM
HowToBasic just uploaded a video on how to make kimchi. I'll take this thread as a sign that I need to follow his recipe and make it.

This lady is great and authentic.
When I forget a recipe she is who I go to.

www.maangchi.com...
edit on 12-12-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I like Kimchi....but there is a lot of not so good stuff they sell at the local stores. I used to know people over the years that made it themselves, that was great stuff. Some Chinese and other Asian restaurants make it in their kitchens and they pride themselves on kimchi they make around here. But some just use the commercial stuff which is not very tasty.

If I eat too much kimchi it gives me a bad headache...probably because it contains tyramines. I have not had any soups containing it that I know of yet. Maybe I will have to go try it at a Korean restaurant we have here in Marquette to see if it is any good if they have it here.

I tried about three or four of the bottled stuff on the shelves at supermarkets over the last ten years...wound up throwing out two half bottles of that because it wasn't worth the headache I get from eating it.

It is hit or miss Ive always enjoyed John's Superfood Kimchi, and HMart sometimes has good brands. But like Ive said probably more misses than hits. Plus it can get expensive but always try and have a good kraut or KimChi in the fridge. It does wonders for digestive issues IME. So much so that I'll try and eat some before a meal .

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

HMart

HMart makes kimchi based on regional palates. In the Midwest it is a lot more mild than the Pacific Northwest.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I never heard of this Kimchi before here, and now. So, from what I gather from your post JagStorm, that it is cabbage that goes through so many processes that it has a name change, and now it is Kimchi.

Cabbage in itself is an acquired taste, not sure why someone would put them through the initial process of trying to acquire it, unless it was forced upon you as a child. Anyhow, from what I am hearing from everyone here, once you get past that part it is a passion.

This kind of reminds me of someone who had some sort of terrible drug forced upon them; except this buried, half rotten stuff is said to be good for us???

edit on 12-12-2022 by StarsInDust because: Just Because

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: StarsInDust

Kimchi literally means "soaked Vegetables"

Theres thousands of recipes for it too

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You had me at kimchi 🤤

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
Good proper kimchi is very medicinal ... So good for the gut health ... The old way of doing kimchi has a very diverse healthy probiotic strains

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Cajun Dirty rice. But the Kimchi is great .

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Kimchi literally means "soaked Vegetables"

Theres thousands of recipes for it too

Thank you for clarification on this. So far, I seem to be learning quite a bit on Kimchi stuff. I love most vegetables, so if I can get something besides cabbage, or those most dreadful lima beans, I might be a bit more intrigued.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join