It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't Americans be as great as Europeans????

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

I disagree.The whole football issue is at the core of the debate.And like people have pointed out,the fans watching an NFL game in a country outside the US have no home team.Of course its going to be more about the game than the result.Der.And as for protesting,people in the West only grow a collective social conscience when things get bad for them.They are not greater than anyone in Greece or Spain because they have massive protests.They have come together due to Austerity.The IMF and Central Banks will continue to bankrupt countries so they can bust bust unions,lower living standards,remove the middle class and enslave us all.It isnt as bad in the United States as it is in Greece,Spain or Portugal but dont worry,you cannot hold the reserve currency for too much longer.There are alot of other things that could destroy your country very soon.Soon things will be alot worse in the United States and your people will come together.That will be great.Did that contribute?And there would be guys in New Zealand pubs that could destroy most NFL players let alone guys on thier National League and Union teams.What do you mean no I dont?Have you ever seen some of those guys? Google Sony Bill Williams.
edit on 24-10-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Have you watched baseball? Now there's something boring and slow !

2nd

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsPeculiar

So this is really a message to Americans to understand that we need to up our game....In crowd cheering, and more importantly standing up to tyranny......

I guess I'm shocked that anyone can equate cheering for sporting events to "National Greatness"! Seems to me that there are much better indicators for that measurement.

name one

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Originally posted by theovermensch
reply to post by tHEpROGRESSIVE

I remember seeing NFL on tv as a kid and wondering why they wore helmets and all those pads.Were they girls under all that armour?The guy you were arguing with is right.Australia has the toughest team sport,its called Rugby League.The NFL is the slowest most boring thing I have ever seen.Its like some sort of stop-start team sumo wrestling with a few of the guys playing catch.If the United States was so great not as many of you would waste time with that poor excuse of a sport.Another thing I wondered while watching NFL as a kid was why NFL players often run out of bounds over the sideline instead of trying to break the approaching defenders tackle.I dont care if you have made a decent gain and achieved another first down,you dont just step over the sideline and do a little dance.You break the tackle and score a touchdown.It would be unthinkable for Rugby League player to do that no matter the value of his contract.We dont play with self preservation in mind.We play to win at all costs and putting your body on the line is part of that.NFL players should be ashamed of themselves and so should you if you think that sport is tough.What it is is a joke just like the United States.Australia has a AAA credit rating,we are the second wealthiest country behind the Swiss,we have beaches everywhere,hot chicks everywhere, awesome cities,plenty of room,a resources boom with no end in sight.Forget America and Europe.Australia is the greatest.We are also the toughest.Why cant you all be as great as Australia is the real question.

Foster's...Its Australian for awesome!

Fosters is crap that's why it gets sent over seas. VB now there's a beer worth keeping to ourselves

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I'm English and I love NFL, I do however love soccer more. NFL is a completely different sport which you can't really buzz about. In soccer you see 90 minutes of play over a period of 85 minutes in NFL you see 1 hour of play over a a period of 3 to 4 hours.

In soccer a game is never over even if a team is 4-0 up they have recently been known to draw 4-4 which in NFL terms is 4 touchdowns to 0.

Plus in soccer you get quite a lot of games where only one point is scored and quite often none are scored. As a soccer fan you go to a game not neccessarily expecting to see a goal which is why the fans go bezerk when one is scored, important goals late in the games generate immense atmospheres.

www.youtube.com... As can be seen in this video which shows a side from the 4th tier of English football score a great, late and important goal.

Also as a result of the 1980's hooliganism in football caused major rivalries between teams which even though hooliganism has nearly died out the rivalries are still strong and fans of each teams have 3-4 other teams that they passionately hate.

Crowd segregation exists in all levels of football across europe and a lot of people in non english speaking european countries adopted the hooligansim from the English and took it to new levels where fans in some cases would kill each other.

The signing and chanting comes as a result of the "casuals" which are large groups of lads who drink large quantities of beer before the games and come up with funny and offensive songs to chant at their opponents (i'm pretty surprised this hasn't come into the NFL yet)

Living in England is very depressing and there is little hope, everyone is negative and for millions of people up and down the country soccer is the only good thing they've got. Also if you think of England as a place smaller than new york with 70 million people in it and 92 professional teams with large stadiums plus thousands more semi professional teams with smaller stadiums then football is unavoidable but the atmosphere generated in european football sometimes is what makes going to the games worthwhile.

www.youtube.com... There is a video of fenerbache who have arguably the most mental fans in the world.

The issue with NFL is that there aren't any counter attacks as there isn't rapid changes in possession.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

My question to you is why can't some of us Claiming to be Americans , act like it? You sound like a real home grown American.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I used to be in awe of Europeans and like you I looked up to them, then I started going there for 2-4 weeks at a time for pleasure and business.

Trust me, the only difference between your average European and average American is language, and their buildings are older, otherwise we are the same. In some ways they are worse, the racism I saw in Germany and France was as bad as any I've seen here, even in the south. See how far a proposed headscarf ban would get in America, or a ban on Mosques.

And as they are finding out right now they can't afford the multiculturalism they have been pushing, and the blowback on it has only just started.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad people, but they are just people in the end and all people have flaws. They do a lot of things I wish we did here. It's not unusual for 3 or 4 generations to live under one roof, it keeps the family tight and saves for the collective wealth of the family. In America everything is so spread out it's hard for families to do this. But even if it wasn't there are far too many young couples under 30 who have 600k houses with 2 new cars, a boat, Harley's and a camper. And they don't own any of it, they'll still be paying for it long after it's in a scrapyard.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

I give you a S/F out of respect for the time taken to post your thread. I don't agree with you view for one simple reason. I get sick and tired of people telling me what America is and what America feels, Based On Outside Opinions.!! I don't give a damn what UK or China Or Korea etc has to say and sure don't take stock in the opinions of Sports casters anymore than I care about MSM Newscasters..Furthermore what does cheering a sports event have to do with greatness?? Come on..
edit on 23-10-2011 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2011 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

Exactly, most of us americans used to be "great" europeans. But then we decided to give up our greatness and risk everything to go on an adventure to a distant and dangerous land. Then once we were en masse, the "great" europeans tried to come and make us more european again. So, we kicked their butts out of our savage land, and went mad with the then unheard of amount of freedom. We went back to singing the songs we wanted to sing and doing the dances we wanted to dance.

So, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, "greatness" can only be defined by someone who does not consider themselves great. I'm sorry you feel so lowly.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

My question to you is why can't some of us Claiming to be Americans , act like it? You sound like a real home grown American.

wow now your telling people how to act......let me tell you how to act by leaving my thread alone from your ignorant comments

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by 31Bravo

Originally posted by 31Bravo
I would just like to say that I recently exited the U.S. Army and have done two combat tours, and traveling all over Europe (Yes, a pawn for the government). As a Soldier, I was highly encouraged to travel around Europe and make up my own mind about other countries to see how good America was compared to others. America has corrupt leaders just like EVERY other country but minus them and you get a great country.

I'm sorry but that guy "TheProgressive" is on track.. most of his comments are a little sarcastic, and demeaning BUT America really is the best country on Earth. We lack some things, but no country is perfect. I believe European countries are truly jealous. When ever someone brings up this OPINION someone from Europe gets all butt hurt and starts slamming back at the U.S... sorry but if you're so much better you have nothing to prove am I right?

If we did not publicize our internal problems to the world, all other countries would make stuff up anyway.. it doesn't matter. I do not hate other countries, I have a lot of friends from all over the world. I just believe that if America's and all other countries problems were a physical objects, put them on a scale and every other place would out weigh the US.
edit on 24-10-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

You've been to every country on earth?

That's your argument? I never once said, or inferred, that I have been everywhere. I simply traveled Europe, been in two conflicts, and made an assessment from the places I've been. Europe has absolutely BEAUTIFUL land marks, more than a handful of awesome people, and scenery.. but I would not choose to live there.

I love America.. and I would DIE to protect this country. Yes, I believe I fought for wrong reasons, but I woke up, and appreciate my country for teaching me the necessary skills to fight back physically to reinvigorate our government if and when need be.

I realize where this thread is potentially going (if it hasn't already).. "who's better than who". What this ultimately boils down to is where does your loyalty fall? I hope it's where you live.

edit on 24-10-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

You said. "But America really is the best country on earth" Those are your words. If you haven't been to every country on earth then how do you know? That's whay I asked if you'd been to every country on earth. Or are you just claiming what you said as fact without researching it?

Ah good observation.. too late to edit, but I guess I owe that statement an 'IMO'.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

America didnt start it.You shouldnt call people ignorant.The whole movement was started in Spain.The OWS is a carry on from that.Have you heard of the Indignados?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JournoForTruth

Europeans are not that great, take it from a European. In Ireland the majority of teenagers are stopped and searched illegally by the police on a daily basis. If they try to enforce their basic civil liberties by asking for a reason for the search (according to Irish law and the Irish Constitution, the Police are obliged to provide this information) they will find themselves being arrested under the 'public order act'. This so-called public order act is an anmendment to the Irish Constitution which was never voted on by the people of Ireland. It basically gives the Police the power to arrest anybody at any time. Next week the Irish people are voting for a new President. The President of Ireland is simply a figurehead with absolutely no power. Of course the mainstream media are focusing on the election and saying virtually nothing about the two referendums the government are asking people to vote on. Both of these referendums are being voted on at the same time as the Presidential election. One of them will give members of the Irish Parliament the power to employ private security officers to invade homes and businesses with no search warrants and to examine private computer files and e-mails. Yet most of the people of Ireland know nothing about these referendums or how they will be affected if they are passed.
We Europeans are facing the same attacks on our civil liberties as Americans. In fact, I would argue that more people in America are waking up to what is happening than in Europe.

Ireland isn't in Europe.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Europeans are not that great, take it from a European. In Ireland the majority of teenagers are stopped and searched illegally by the police on a daily basis. If they try to enforce their basic civil liberties by asking for a reason for the search (according to Irish law and the Irish Constitution, the Police are obliged to provide this information) they will find themselves being arrested under the 'public order act'. This so-called public order act is an anmendment to the Irish Constitution which was never voted on by the people of Ireland. It basically gives the Police the power to arrest anybody at any time. Next week the Irish people are voting for a new President. The President of Ireland is simply a figurehead with absolutely no power. Of course the mainstream media are focusing on the election and saying virtually nothing about the two referendums the government are asking people to vote on. Both of these referendums are being voted on at the same time as the Presidential election. One of them will give members of the Irish Parliament the power to employ private security officers to invade homes and businesses with no search warrants and to examine private computer files and e-mails. Yet most of the people of Ireland know nothing about these referendums or how they will be affected if they are passed.
We Europeans are facing the same attacks on our civil liberties as Americans. In fact, I would argue that more people in America are waking up to what is happening than in Europe.

Ireland isn't in Europe.

Since when?

It's the 3rd largest European island.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
This is not a thread about sports.....This is a thread about why Americans do not Protest like the Europeans do....To all of you talking about which sport is better you are all ignorant.

Why is it that America Starts Occupy Wall Street but it moved into every European country much stronger than in the United States.

The Americans didn't start the Occupy Campaign. It began months ago in Madrid, Spain well before Wall Street.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In response to the OP.....one word- narcissism. (As sad and pathetic as it is, it's the truth).

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

Australian Football is better than rugby, soccer and NFL.. want to b!tch about sports etc, come and have a crack at our code. Even the rugby players are converting. Any of our punters still playing NFL?
edit on 24-10-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

AFL is a sport for fairies. Nobody is converting to the AFL.Truth be told nobody even knows what the AFL is, by in large. Ask most people about the AFL outside of Australia and they'll assume you're talking about the Arena Football League in America

In order of good sports I would put AFL at the bottom.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

Australian Football is better than rugby, soccer and NFL.. want to b!tch about sports etc, come and have a crack at our code. Even the rugby players are converting. Any of our punters still playing NFL?
edit on 24-10-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

AFL is a sport for fairies. Nobody is converting to the AFL.Truth be told nobody even knows what the AFL is, by in large. Ask most people about the AFL outside of Australia and they'll assume you're talking about the Arena Football League in America

In order of good sports I would put AFL at the bottom.

Pussy

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Ireland isn't in Europe.

Since when?

It's the 3rd largest European island.

Europe is a continent. Ireland is in island and a country on it's own.

It's like saying Britain is a part of Europe which it isn't as well.

www.wesleyjohnston.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by maccascfc

Pretty off topic but that's one of the most innacurate comments on football and football hooliganism I've ever seen, sorry mate.

Football hooliganism existed well before the advent of Casuals.
Remember 'the bovver boys' of the late 60's and 70's?
In fact violence between rival supporters has been a regular occurrence since organised football began.
en.wikipedia.org...
Casuals just took it to whole different level and a whole sub-culture evolved around it.
en.wikipedia.org...(subculture)
Many continental Europeans have tried to copy it but they simply don't get it.
I suspect neither would our trans-atlantic cousins.

But it's a thing of the past really now despite the activities of various wannabes.
Seems like any muppet wearing a Stone Island jacket and Paul & Shark t-shirt thinks he's a boy nowadays.

Maybe one day I'll write a thread about it all - it's origins are actually very interesting.

Oh, and singing at British football matches has happened since day one, not sure about continental Europe etc.

Hope I haven't derailed the thread too much - but then again it has been a pretty random sort of thread.
edit on 24/10/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Aren't they diluting VB even further?
Don't like Fosters at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join