It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't Americans be as great as Europeans????

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Now your just pulling stuff out of your arse to express your anti-American sentiment. So sad that Europeans and others have nothing better to do then worry about what we are doing and constantly comparing.

The gridiron is an American sport. Americans love it. Americans don't care if anyone else does.
Is it lack of empathy? No, because it brings comraderie and competition among cities at the same time. So I don't know why Austrailians and Europeans keep comparing themselves to it, just the usual inferiority complex you have.

Just like when I worked in a bar and I had to constantly listen to British businessmen talk about how Americans can't do tea and breakfast. Always the inferiority talking.

Its not that Americans don't know, its we don't care. Its breakfast, don't like it, don't eat it. Who cares. No country eats the same breakfast, and tastes change along borders, so why the comparison?

I dare a rugby player go against an nfl player, I can bet who would end up as hamburger.
But your still comparing apples to oranges.

There are far more collisions on the gridiorn. Because the number of players are different, which is why rugby has less tackles. The form of tackling is even different.

Football has 21-22 players, ruby has 17. A lot of players in football tackle whether the ball is involved or not.
Rugby players need to run faster and longer, football players are bigger to hit harder.

There are a few similar positions, but they are different between the sports.

Rugby the players tackle longer having to wrestle players down, football, it is a collision to knock one off their feet.
Rugby can't tackle a player in the air, football you can which is the most vulnerable position to be tackled from.

Not only do football players take the impact of a full on tackle, they have to take the impact of helmet and protective gear too.

Rugby doesn't allow head collisions, football does and banks on it. Hence the need for helmets.

There are collisions in every play in football.

A rugby player who has played both sports said "Rugby is a contact sport, football is a collision sport."

Rugby players don't do much strategizing, football is a lot of strategy.
One isn't better then the other, just depends on what you like.
Americans like the part trying to guess what play a team is going to do. Will it work or fail?
As a result the rugby players have to be quicker and run longer durations, since it is more action, NFL has to be stronger and bigger. Yet a 350 lb. monster can still streak down 40 yards.

A rugby player can out run an NFL player, but god help him if the NFL player catches him.

Despite looking the same on the field, they are two really different sports. And neither athlete can comment on the other unless they have played both.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Sorry man.I am just being a defensive dick.That progressive guy got under my skin is all.And yeah,bloody New Zealanders.If there is a toughest nation,I think they would be in the running..

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
By the way,what is AMERICA,I haven't hear in my life of it,any idea.......?I ask God,neither he ever herd of it....could be some type of food?Or a drink?Don't know but I will think about....maybe someone can help...Hard to answer.It's like I heard long time ago about this name AMERICA but still I don't remember,sure it's a drink....or a ill...sure is a ill ,yes I know now a ill that I have long time ago but now I'm cured of it....hope i'll never get it back...ever!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Americans don't care if anyone else does.

Its not that Americans don't know, its we don't care.

And you wonder why your international reputation isn't the best?
edit on 24-10-2011 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I think we're a bit jaded/spoiled here in the U.S. when it comes to our sports.

It's October, and we currently have NFL Football and college football in mid-season, the baseball World Series is underway, NASCAR season is in the final stretch. Even with the NBA basketball work stoppage, there's always something "big" to watch. College basketball will also start soon, and UFC is always an option.

I'm a lifelong sports fan, but at this point when a friend texts me and asks if I'm "watching the game", I generally have no idea which game they're talking about. So many sports events are on US television with our networks pumping out huge hype for football, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, horse racing, boxing, UFC and occasionally hockey.

When you see a live NFL game on TV, a European crowd is going to come off as enthusiastic, supporting both teams and enjoying the overall spectacle of a novel, foreign sport.

An NFL home crowd in the US is never going to be like this. If the home team is getting killed you can bet on silence, booing and possible fighting in the stands.

Overall, the NFL has great, passionate fans at live events, and college football crowds are even better.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
reply to post by khimbar

Sorry man.I am just being a defensive dick.That progressive guy got under my skin is all.And yeah,bloody New Zealanders.If there is a toughest nation,I think they would be in the running..

No, it's cool. This whole us vs them thing is exactly what will make us so easy to control and take over. We're all the same, the world would be so much better if we could see that.

But yeah Kiwis are tough as nails; one of my cousins emigrated over there a few years back, the place looks incredible.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

They dont look the same at all.And you are doing alot of commenting,I suspect you havent played both sports have you.You are also bunching Union with League.They are very different.You are very defensive.The lady doth protest too much,methinks.If you like NFL thats good.I think you would like it more if they took all that armour off.And stopped stopping the game every few seconds

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Blame the media, we can't help that. I can see how that would get annoying, and I don't know why the media does it.

But hell, our own media gets on our nerves.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by theovermensch
reply to post by khimbar

No, it's cool. This whole us vs them thing is exactly what will make us so easy to control and take over. We're all the same, the world would be so much better if we could see that.

But yeah Kiwis are tough as nails; one of my cousins emigrated over there a few years back, the place looks incredible.

No, it's cool. This whole us vs them thing is exactly what will make us so easy to control and take over. We're all the same, the world would be so much better if we could see that

Best comment in this entire thread!!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfthree7
I think we're a bit jaded/spoiled here in the U.S. when it comes to our sports.

'Well, in our society, we have things that you might use your intelligence on, like politics, but people really can't get involved in them in a very serious way -- so what they do is they put their minds into other things, such as sports. You're trained to be obedient; you don't have an interesting job; there's no work around for you that's creative; in the cultural environment you're a passive observer of usually pretty tawdry stuff; political and social life are out of your range, they're in the hands of the rich folks. So what's left? Well, one thing that's left is sports -- so you put a lot of the intelligence and the thought and the self-confidence into that. And I suppose that's also one of the basic functions it serves in the society in general: it occupies the population, and keeps them from trying to get involved with things that really matter.'

Noam Chomsky. Have a terrible feeling he's right.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

It has nothing to do with reputation. It is breakfast, who wastes their energy comparing breakfasts?
My point being is Mexico eats something different then us, China eats something different then them, you really can't say one is better or the other, it is what that area decides.

The problem is that there is some similarities between the countries. Those businessmen wouldn't go to Japan and say, ugh, the Japanse can't do breakfast when they get fish or something. They would say it was interesting and unusual. So why come to criticize American, specifically?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

And you don't know anything either if you think armor makes it a weaker sport.

the game has evolved a lot to implement a lot of intense strategy, which is why so many players are recruited from colleges, can't have a dummy making a play.

So if you just like a guy in shirt taking a ball and running till someone stops him, be my guest.

Football requires thinking.

As I said, two completely sporting styles, Americans like the strategy. It is not just athletics.

Not overly defensive, just educating you.
edit on 24-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I am being a dick.Im sorry if I annoyed you.But if people argue that the NFL / the United States.is the greatest,people can also argue that it sucks.Niether is wrong.Its opinion.That progressive guy gives his opinion as fact and I doth protest too much myself.All in jest pretty much.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Noam Chomsky? Really.

For a really smart guy, he's essentially clueless. Americans, as a whole, though it can be like pulling teeth to get 'em started; are politically active, or will be. When it suits our purposes. I'm politically active, most of my friends are not...most of the time. Like with anything else, you have to get their attention.

Doesn't mean they're mindless drones brainwashed into submission, as Chomsky implies, it means they have other priorities, such as feeding their kids, clothing them, paying their bills, y'know important stuff like that. Football is for the weekends, unless you're into those silly fantasy leagues, in which case Chomsky may well have a point...

Do you, meaning all of you, ever get tired of generalizations? Ever? Americans are not all the same, how can we be? Since our families come from a myriad of cultural backgrounds. You accuse us of any number of biases, yet merrily show off your own...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

All the time. This whole thread has me gnashing my teeth for my species. Flags versus flags. Pointless.

The thing is I don't apply Chomsky's argument just to the United States. It's global throughout the 'developed' world. We have our football too you know. I'm not bashing the United States at all, I have a lot of respect for it. In some cases anyway.

It's bread and circuses to distract the masses. Don't think about your bills or the fact your wages are getting shafted, or that the government is paying billions to their corporate crony buddies who they went to college with...watch these people run around and experience vicarious triumph through them. And people lap it up!

And I've no doubt that you're politically active, but then again you've got 13,000 posts on a conspiracy theory website, you're probably not a typical example. Every day I walk past people who I've no doubt are clueless as to whats really going on and are played like fiddles by the media.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by khimbar

Noam Chomsky? Really.

For a really smart guy, he's essentially clueless. Americans, as a whole, though it can be like pulling teeth to get 'em started; are politically active, or will be. When it suits our purposes. I'm politically active, most of my friends are not...most of the time. Like with anything else, you have to get their attention.

Doesn't mean they're mindless drones brainwashed into submission, as Chomsky implies, it means they have other priorities, such as feeding their kids, clothing them, paying their bills, y'know important stuff like that. Football is for the weekends, unless you're into those silly fantasy leagues, in which case Chomsky may well have a point...

Do you, meaning all of you, ever get tired of generalizations? Ever? Americans are not all the same, how can we be? Since our families come from a myriad of cultural backgrounds. You accuse us of any number of biases, yet merrily show off your own...

I retract my in rude statement. My apologies. Forum moderator. I disagree.

You are pulling things out of context. Chomsky is talking about sports. Not about feedings kids and washing cloths.

edit on 24-10-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Again,I am being a dick.Maybe I need a hug.The OWS and all the protests going on around the world is above all the devisive stuff that I have lowered myself to.NFL,Soccer,Union,League,AFL supporters should unite.Im not sure about those guys that play the Gealic Football in Ireland though.I mean we have to draw the line somewhere._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I'll agree with the pointless. Shall we call it a draw? Though the Noam Chomsky quote got me going...not a fan. But anyway, you're right it's pointless really.

Pals?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Nothing shaken my man. We all get stirred up occasionally. Noam Chomsky is one of my pet peeves. So I got a bit off target maybe with my reply...though I think I read his implications correctly.

That's neither here nor there, however... This whole argument is rather pointless, and I'm done with it. Shall we all part friends, and argue again someday?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I think we actually agree in some ways! But pals yes....hell the big us vs them is us vs the NWO!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join