It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't Americans be as great as Europeans????

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

If you like me, getting into a steeler game you have to pay over 100 dollars a ticket; or if you want season tickets you have to have had your parents get you in the waiting line since you were born. Hence there are a lot of old ass people at steeler games. Just speaking for my home town, not the nation.

Also we have this thought in the US is that everyone you don't know is f#king crazy and will kill you so maybe it keeps us calmer.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Where all on this earth together get over it.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Love to come. Is the freedom before or after the TSA put their hands in mine and my families pants?

I was hoping to leave the USA as a refugee for Europe..... Unfortunately, the TSA made that impossible as I am sure beating the snot outta someone for doing exactly this would just hinder my hopes of leaving....

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Nobody is better or worse than anybody else based on the patch of dirt they live on. Bunch of ignorant f***s. This thread feels like grade school all over again.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by steveknows

Aren't they diluting VB even further?
Don't like Fosters at all.

You say what now?
VB has never has been diluted never would be diluted and never should be diluted

Though there's no doubt it's a tad strong for an Englishman
And too cold as well

You're right about Fosters. But it seems you've never had a VB

edit on 24-10-2011 by steveknows because: typo

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tHEpROGRESSIVE
reply to post by Trolloks

I am not being sarcastic. What did I say that was not true? America is the greatest country to ever exist on the face of the Earth. Europeans hate us because they envy us and they know they can never be as great as us. The good Europeans just admit it to themselves and do whatever they can to move here.

What makes America is great?
Being smart enough to use slaves to enrich itself?
The ingenious way they mass murdered Natives and stole their land?
The nonstop wars for profit?

What makes America so great?
And when you say America, which country are you referring to?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I have watched a little baseball.I played a little too.I agree,pretty slow.We get cricket here.I do like that baseball has different sized parks that are unique to the city.They have that in Australian Rules and Cricket.At the same time though,I was just being a jerk about the NFL/United States because that 'theprogressive' guy is such a wanker.I like the stats in baseball and cricket and tension can build just like it does for fans of soccer.Its a great release for an audience when they have been waiting for that break through goal or home run.My favourite sport is Basketball. I love wacky coaches like Don Nelson and pull up three's on a fast break, draft prospects, gossip, trades, the squeak of the shoes on wood.I love Gridiron for inventing Basketball to play in the off season and I love America for giving me basketball and countless other things.I also hate America,I love to cheer against your over rated national team at the World Cup and at the Olympics.Its fun to hate each other and have have rivalry.We all know we are brothers at the end of the day.Even wankers like that 'theprogressive' guy.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Geography obviously isn't your strong point my friend. Ireland IS in Europe and IS a member of the EU.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
"Why can't Americans be great like europee-ons?"

Pretty simple really, we have our faults sure... but most of us have guns, we like to take baths and know when to see a dentist for starters. We are peaceful by nature but when we finally get pissed it means baaad news for somebody so I don't foresee a foriegn invasion going over so well over here. We sure wouldn't serve up mexico like dessert to a dictator like France did to Poland once upon a time.

Wait, we were talking about Europe being BETTER! You've got me stumped....Carry on!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
"...the Radio announcer said something I can't get out of my mind....He basically said that the crowds were really into the game, but not just going for one team or the other, just passionate to be there. He said that the crowd wave they were doing at the time was the best he had ever seen...."

No, what he said were the crowds were passionate. I can't find anyhting about Europe in his comments. But I can find Europe in yours which means you have a big problem buddy.

I saw some V8 Supercars in Australia in the weekend. Awesome. Bet I have ever seen. Now does that denigrate European drivers?

This post shows how pathetic some people get toward a non statement being turned into a major issue.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

It's that whole "we're the criminals they threw out of Europe to begin with" thing. I've been too busy cutting throats and stealing diamonds to pay attention to any sports events.

What the hell is a "Chicago Bear"? Is it more like a grizzly, or more like a black bear?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Let me just clear this up for everybody. Ireland and Britain are member states of the European Union, a fact that a lot of people (including myself) are not happy about. Both Ireland and Britain vote in European elections to elect members of the European Parliament. After the Lisbon Treaty, Ireland gave up a lot of her soverignty and constitutional powers to the European Union (another fact that a lot of people, including myself are not happy about). So there it is, whether we like it or not we are European. It has nothing to do with my original reply, I was trying to make the point that none of us are really any better off than anybody else. We are all in the same boat with the same problems.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
if i answered your question (as a european looking at america from the outside) it would probably upset most of the users on this site..

That is exactly how I felt about this question, sir.
Unfortunately, some people don’t take a joke, or even a statement. We live in a world that is blinded by the vision of patriotic views that the government is teaching the younger generation, it is a good thing, and I’m not saying it’s bad. Everyone should be able to be proud of their country but denying a point of view will get you nowhere.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

We are supposed to be the country who protested our way to becoming a country.

We as in you?

I learned last year that my family dates back to this area to the 1600's. My ancestors fought for what they thought was right. I am here because of them.........................

If and when the time comes that I feel it is necessary to do something, or help a "cause", I will do so......not because some college kid is complaining about not having a job while their parents are paying their way.

My mommy does not pay my bills (not saying yours does)....................

I am tired of hearing people say "get out and protest"...................I just got home from work, leaving at 4:30am and getting home at 5:30 pm........

I have to work......... I like staying warm in the winter..........no time to protest here.........and my feet are killing me.

Why should I risk a decent job to go hang out with a bunch of people that do not have a clue about work......?

Sorry for my little rant. As you can tell it was a long day in the trenches

edit on 24-10-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
With all due respect to the OP, this thread obviously is dividing people more than bringing them together.
You have the right to speak what you wish but in my opinion, there is no need for a thread like this that would incite vitriolic rhetoric and arguments amongst people of different cultures. Especially if we're going to involve sports and fandom.
I understand though that many Americans aren't exactly the most "Passionate" crowed out there.
And one other thing, This whole OWS isn't working anyway.
It's been over a month already, and they haven't even made any clear and straight forward demands. They're just shouting and waving signs in front of the wrong building( the right buildings would be the Federal reserve and The W.H).
I just really don't get this whole "protest". Do they really think that these "entities" that will stop at nothing to get what they want, whether killing 3000 of their own people to invade another country to kill millions more or pushing to start a war with countries like Iran, will just stop doing it just because some crowd chanted a couple of lines that rhymes?
These entities has murdered millions of people around the world through out history, and is willing to kill millions and millions more including their own, and people think they will just perish by a bunch of guitar playing and sign waving? Who are we kidding? What should we do next? Shower them with flowers while hoping they'll have a change of heart?
There is a certain truth inside many of us, and many of us will dare not to say. But sooner or later, we'll have no other option than to face the music, and dance with the devil.
edit on 24-10-2011 by deanx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
First let me say I am an American,

As I am watching the Chicago Bears vs.Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Westminister, London UK....and I was also listening to the radio at the same time, the Radio announcer said something I can't get out of my mind....He basically said that the crowds were really into the game, but not just going for one team or the other, just passionate to be there. He said that the crowd wave they were doing at the time was the best he had ever seen....
So he is an American Football announcer basically saying the crowds are better over there.

So the usual thoughts came through my mind about why Americans don't cheer for sports or why can't I go to a football game and have that much fun like Europeans do....

But then I really got thinking about how much more awesome their Occupy Wall Streets are then ours forbes europe occupy wallstreet

It says in that article just how big it is over there.....100,000 people strong at times in different cities

So this is really a message to Americans to understand that we need to up our game....In crowd cheering, and more importantly standing up to tyranny......

As an American I am smart enough to know that crowd cheering doesn't do jack squat! Europe is a giant bureaucracy anyhow so for all their cheering at sports games it hasn't exactly made them 'better'. Well perhaps better at being a part of the system.

Standing up to tyranny is best done through the quieter methods. Where you spend and house your money for example will send a bigger message to a bank than standing around cheering and holding up signs. The people have no idea how much power they have, how we don't have to live with tyranny, but being a excellent cheerleader isn't going to do anything. We are the sheeple.. here us baahhh.

We most certainly didn't protest our way into becoming a country. We fought for it, physically, we took the country as our own. We battled against what we were to become our own. How many real changes too place back then based on people cheering and holding signs on a street corner?

I have nothing against Europeans, but I have no desire to be like them and I don't think they are a standard to hold ourselves too. I'm ok with being me! We all think we are 'better', but that is divisive behavior that only serves to keep people as a whole down. People of Europe have more time in a bureaucratic system, this much is true, but they are still just as much a part of it as we are. Europeans are no better nor worse than Americans are. We are different and we are similar in many ways. But considering Europeans and Americans are both part of a huge bureaucratic mess I'd say there is no benefit to be had from pointing fingers.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
So this is really a message to Americans to understand that we need to up our game....In crowd cheering, and more importantly standing up to tyranny......

All sarcasm aside....

there are fourteen pages of tit for tat, sarcasm and team mentality over The FIRST half of the OP's post. What I personally believe the OP meant was to express how "wishy washy" we, the US, are being at things. We go to a sporting event to cheer a team, but can't enjoy it as much if our team loses... I'm sure everyon knows at lest ONE 1/2 balding middle-aged guy who spends their life waiting for the next baseball game. My Father in law is this way with the Yankees and WWE. I actually keep up on both just to know what mood he's in. Pathetic really IMO. Our protests appear weak in comparison to the similar protests in europe, etc.

Well, the OP has a point here. If we EVER want to see things change, we need to stop expecting life to be akin to our silly video games set to the easiest difficulty; you know the way many of us spend our free time? and accept that we need to put that same effort we expend leveling up our WOW characters or arguing over our favorite teams as we do when it matters. Was it Japan or China that stated "Americans are Lazy"? Who ever said it, they are right. We choose the easy way out. Instead of working hard, the majority of us pass the buck. or say things like "That's not my department" or "Hey buddy, I don't care if you don't have water, my union contract says I stop work at 3:30pm....unless you wanna pay the overtime"

Get it? Sure it's sad that other countries view us this way, but the worst part is that for many people it IS true and even worse D.C. KNOWS it. That's why they trample on our constitution, that's why they do all the crap they do. Because we, as a country LET them.

I know, I'll get flamed for it. I don't care. There will be the usual "Well I'm not that way" and it will most likely be from the same people I see posting opposition to everything but don't offer any ideas.

Weather it's protesting, armed rebellion, an election that actually works, or some other awesome idea, they will all fail unless the mentality of the sheeple majority in this country changes.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

name one

Ah, can't think of anything except cheering for sports?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by deanx

I understand though that many Americans aren't exactly the most "Passionate" crowed out there.

Try a discussion over politics or perhaps Constitutional matters. ;-D

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by deanx

Dont give up on the protests.I will let you in on a secret.We dont need,nor would we benifit from an official list of demands.The movement is at this stage is a 'tar baby' .It cannot be attacked. Wheather its students, hipsters, unions, sympathisers or any other section of the population they chose to attack,it only serves to insult and encourage those sections.The way they try to make it partisan,confuse the issues and devide us is more and more obvious to people everyday.The more they struggle,the more they get trapped in the 'tar baby'. Soon they wont be able to move.We will not listen to there plea's,fall for their tricks.Things will keep getting worse for people and the movement will snowball until it hits critical mass.When it does,we will not be tricked into throwing them into the briar patch so they can escape amongst the thistles.We will eat them.We do not need,nor would we benifit from a leader at this point.You cannot cut the head from the snake if the snake has no head.The movement cannot be destroyed,it will continue to grow.Dont worry about election dates either,they are their dates.Dont worry about what can get done,there will be many 'executive orders'/'decrees' It will be global. A headless tar baby comes their way.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join