It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnvrliz
It was a 9.0

The 9.0 is from the Japan Meteorological Agency (up from 8.8) after reevaluating seismic data. The USGS still has it pegged at 8.9.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
confirmed, partial meltdown is now taking place as we talk.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novatrino
confirmed, partial meltdown is now taking place as we talk.

At the #3 reactor?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardfelt

This is good information, thanks for posting. I have had a strong urge over the last few days to get some betadine for emergency use, I just didn't dream it would be for a nuclear metdown.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheVyking
EDIT -- AFP: Fission seen in two reactors at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.
EMPHASIS ON SEEN! TSJHTF! Big Style!

Fission is what nuclear reactors do normally. So unfortunately this report doesn't make any sense. It's like saying the Pope is catholic.

I think this is possibly a mistranslation. What has likely occurred at the reactor is a partial melting of fuel rods (i.e. partial meltdown).

It is my guess that this "melting" is being badly translated variously as "fusion" (which is impossible) and "fission".

I have heard similar statements coming out of Japanese news agencies.

Fortunately so far the highest radiation levels measured near the plant are just above 1200 microsieverts which is about the same as what you get from a dental x-ray. Still a long way till they are out of the woods though!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Originally posted by TheVyking
EDIT -- AFP: Fission seen in two reactors at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.
EMPHASIS ON SEEN! TSJHTF! Big Style!

Fission is what nuclear reactors do normally. So unfortunately this report doesn't make any sense. It's like saying the Pope is catholic.

I think this is possibly a mistranslation. What has likely occurred at the reactor is a partial melting of fuel rods (i.e. partial meltdown).

It is my guess that this "melting" is being badly translated variously as "fusion" (which is impossible) and "fission".

I have heard similar statements coming out of Japanese news agencies.

Fortunately so far the highest radiation levels measured near the plant are just above 1200 microsieverts which is about the same as what you get from a dental x-ray. Still a long way till they are out of the woods though!

It does make sense. It sounds like the core has melted through and the molten radioactive material has been exposed to open air.
edit on 12-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Kyodo: Kan discusses nuclear plant disorder with Tokyo Electric head

Twitter link

Sounds like Tokyo Electric officials aren't being honest about the seriousness of the current situation. Either purposefully, or incompetently.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
It does make sense. It sounds like the core has melted through and the molten radioactive material has been exposed to open air.

Maybe according to twitter. Not according to media reports in Japan. The latest report from a nuclear official which I watched live just a short while ago said that the containment vessels have not been breached and thus exposure to open air is impossible.

They did confirm that they have been intentionally venting two of the reactors to reduce pressure and there has been radiation released to the atmosphere due to this.

Beware that there are false news reports circulating (apparently some news agencies are not fact checking and even picking up fabrications that have been posted on sites such as rense).

I just found the original quote. It is that radioactive cesium and iodine have been detected in the neighbourhood of the reactors. Their presence is an indication that fission of uranium fuel has occurred. This is a very poor translation. A much better translation is that "Iodine and cesium, two byproducts of the nuclear fission process that occurs in nuclear plants, were detected around the area."
edit on 12-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Posted further info

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardfelt
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN

Thank you very much for contributing and posting the above info. VERY useful information as it is always good to know alternative methods/routes of administration as primary methods/means of obtaining is not always available. Good info thanks

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Maybe according to twitter. Not according to media reports in Japan. The latest report from a nuclear official which I watched live just a short while ago said that the containment vessels have not been breached and thus exposure to open air is impossible.

They did confirm that they have been intentionally venting two of the reactors to reduce pressure and there has been radiation released to the atmosphere due to this.

What about this?

Japan's top government spokesman Yukio Edano said Sunday that radioactive meltdowns may have occurred in two reactors of the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant. Asked in a press conference whether meltdowns had occurred, Edano said "we are acting on the assumption that there is a high possibility that one has occurred" in the plant's number-one reactor. "As for the number-three reactor, we are acting on the assumption that it is possible," he said.

link

Basically, there has probably been at least one meltdown. They just don't know the extent so far. Or they won't say. Not sure which yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Updated info:

"SECOND nuclear meltdown likely underway - MSNBC - 2 hours ago - READ BELOW"

The reactor BLEW 20 hours ago !! you only have 1 day to evactuate to the south EAST ... in my honest opinion.. the time to leave is now!

Link to story here: links for weather and jet stream below:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Current - Japanese scientist report!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Perhaps I should have been more clear.....I probably should have said 'Apparently we suffered no Ill effects from this massive cloud of radiation that should have, (by the logic of suggested by the thread poster) traveled all the way to the U.S. by way of the Jet Flow.

Hows that? You see I don't remember any post WW2 radiation sickness deaths on a massive scale in America....if you do then please share. My point being...if there was no tragedy (in America) from the NUKES we dropped in Japan back then.....then why should there be anything to worry about (again in America) from a tiny little Nuclear Meltdown? Seems like so much fear mongering, based on little science. I mean we have a perfect example of a much more extreme situation where nothing happened. Of course feel free to prove me wrong. If you can find statistics that show a massive increase of deaths or mystery illnesses in America at some point within a period of time....say any point from a day to a year after we bombed Japan then please let me know.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What about this?

Japan's top government spokesman Yukio Edano said Sunday that radioactive meltdowns may have occurred in two reactors of the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant. Asked in a press conference whether meltdowns had occurred, Edano said "we are acting on the assumption that there is a high possibility that one has occurred" in the plant's number-one reactor. "As for the number-three reactor, we are acting on the assumption that it is possible," he said.

link

Yes, that seems totally reliable to me. I think the evidence is very good that a partial meltdown has occurred.

Please also see the extra information I added to my post above.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

the radiation released from those 2 bombs is peanuts compared to the radiation that can be released from these reactors

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Here is the a jet stream map thats updated every 6 hours that I posted on page 2

Squall.sfsu.ed

If it does get bad just keep a eye on the jet stream, also you got to remember that if it does get up into the jet stream there are alot of factors to take in such as speed,direction and storms.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
F** me... Partial meltdown:? Almost preganant? Either there is a meltdown or not.
Everything that is coming out of MSM at this point now is to prevent panic. We caught the containment blow on #1 on youtube, thank God.

What more do we need? Explosive release of radionucleides into the atmosphere. Contaiment is breached, as evidenced by the video of the shockwave> What, do you really expect the 'authorities to say "Yep, the reactor blew, people downwind should expect a heavy dose of radiation."? How forthright were 'authorities' at TMI? Chernobyl? Come at your own logical conclusions...

I dunno, people...I'm an engineer...and although I'm not in nuclear, I know an explosion of a pressurized vessel when i see one. I don't expect to be getting any truth from the MSM or the authorites, reside under the jetstream, and expect my 'exposure' to commmence tonight.

I pray for the people of Japan, and for the untold many that are yet to suffer from this catastrophe.

edit on 12-3-2011 by servumlibertatem because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by servumlibertatem because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by servumlibertatem because: need to use 'preview' function

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Perhaps the study of fallout was at it infancy when the US dropped the second and third a-bombs ever created on Japan?

Just a guess, but mayhaps the mechanism wasn't fully understood at that point in history...

edit on 13-3-2011 by servumlibertatem because: sp

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oklastatefan
Here is the a jet stream map thats updated every 6 hours that I posted on page 2

Squall.sfsu.ed

If it does get bad just keep a eye on the jet stream, also you got to remember that if it does get up into the jet stream there are alot of factors to take in such as speed,direction and storms.

That might be useful if the radiation level around the plant gets any higher than that of a dental xray.

Don't you find it a bit revolting that Americans are worrying about themselves instead of the billions of people closer to the plant than they are or the tens of thousands of people who have not been able to be contacted since the quake in the worst hit areas?

There's currently a thread on ATS showing a video of some puddles in a field that someone is filming. People are flipping about the room talking about how their minds are blown by this and how worried they are about the person filming it. They seem to have not noticed the massive tsunami which has completely decimated the Japanese shoreline to a distance inland of 10km or so in parts, wiping out entire towns!

How is it that people can make such mountains out of molehills but completely miss the absolutely massive destruction caused by this quake?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join