It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Novatrino

Yeah. It happened whilst I Was talking too my girlfriend who was watching a huge blackout take place...

link   
according to cnn goverment officials are assuming a meltdown has occured. I'm guessing he means a full on meltdown because a partial meltdown has already been confirmed. Unless this is about reactor 2

link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura

Originally posted by 1FutureMarine1
But will a melt down explode like a nuclear explosion? Or will it just leak an butt load of radiation?

It won't explode like a nuclear bomb if that's what you mean. But yeah, the amount of radiation it might send out, I just can't think about it. I just hope the winds stay away from Japan so that any fallout goes largely into the sea. If the wind turns in a different direction the Japanese/Chinese people are screwed.

Do any other facilities in Japan have so many reactors next to eachother like this one has? Really sorry if it offends anyone, but something is just starting to feel seriously off about this whole thing.

Well if we go by the jet stream.
The west coast (of america) is screwed beyond belief. Not sure about japan, but it probably won't be good.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Okay, hopefully someone can give me some information because I'm clueless.
I have a rad sticker that shows various levels of radiation (1000, 400, 200, 100, 50, 25). The idea apparently is that if the sticker gets darker, it tells you how much radiation is around. But, um, HOW MUCH radiation is dangerous? I mean, at what point do we start taking Iostat? LOL, please don't laugh, but I honestly don't know how to read this thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Ummmm........what!!!???

PLEASE expand upon this. I have been trying to find info on this and what the possible ramifications are. I have absolutely NO IDEA how big this. If ONE does melt down, what does that mean? How far would the fallout be?
Are you saying the West Coast as in Washington State....how much of an impact....any linked info?
Thank you

Don't panic, man! Cool it, some! It's not the end of the world! The leaked radioactivity wouldn't affect humans outside a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius. And you're talking of coastal America! That's a gazillion miles away.

Now go get some sleep!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

Well... I know 2 plants were affected by the quake, I do not know if there are of the same design. I'll look on the net and see if I can find out.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1FutureMarine1

How do you know the west coast would be screwed. Do you have any source for that? Any evidence?

From what I've read on different local news sites from the west coast, officials are saying that they danger there is VERY LOW.

Please don't just say things without any substantiated proof or evidence.

Japan to the West Coast is 5000 miles. Just saying.
edit on 12-3-2011 by raistlinmajere8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

Best case, it melts down to the thick concrete base, spreads out enough that the reaction eases and it can be contained, with some localized radiation releases.

Worst case, the meltdown continues to bore through, and into the underground water source, and explodes into a massive cloud of highly radioactive water vapor earth and debris (not as big as a nuke detonation) but big enough to send a hell of a lot of radioactive material and particulates into the atmosphere where it can be caught up in winds and spread about at lethal levels.

Could go either way... IF in fact we have an actual meltdown occurring now.

I'm betting on the first scenario.... Maybe just hoping... But it feels better that way.

edit on 12-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by raistlinmajere8
reply to post by 1FutureMarine1

How do you know the west coast would be screwed. Do you have any source for that? Any evidence?

From what I've read on different local news sites from the west coast, officials are saying that they danger there is VERY LOW.

Please don't just say things without any substantiated proof or evidence.

"If we go off the jet stream"...... Did you not read that? I'm pretty sure that was what I said.

Look up the jet stream, it some where on page 13 I believe.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahNavyBrat

Any radiation exposure is dangerous.
I would try to keep it to none, but if you have too, less then 10 rads i would say.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
According to MSNBC, a second reactor is in meltdown. They are still having trouble cooling problems with a third one. This is becoming very concerning.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
just a couple quick links for those that read links

from wiki..just a general over view of what happens in a meltdown en.wikipedia.org...

and a second one

The balance between control rods (which are often made of cadmium because it can catch and capture neutrons without fissioning) is a carefully planned thing. If the fuel rods melt and fall to the floor of the vessel they will no longer be inter-spaced correctly to prevent a run away nuclear reaction

my.firedoglake.com... thedogsaid/2011/03/12/fukushima-reactor-some-facts-on-what-a-melt-down-is/

little better understanding for the layman..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

According to this video, they have no idea whats going on inside the reactors....they are guessing, and they have guessed that YES they have probably melted down.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by LadySkadi

I am not one to fear-monger or jump to conclusions....but I believe "may" will be removed from the headline as soon as the evacuation of people in Japan is complete....

My personal thought is that this thing is already worse than they're reporting, and they seem to not hide the fact they are "downplaying the risks" - something you just can not do with a nuclear accident of any kind!!!

Unfortunately Japan already has a history of cover-up when it comes to serious problems, so the information coming out at the moment is not reliable.

Earlier they said things "might" be bad, e.g. the presence of radioactive material in the gas they were releasing, but now they say "the core might have partially melted". This is very bad news indeed.

The fact they are stopping people 60 km from the site speaks volumes, even though they only officially have an exclusion zone of 20 km.

I hope the winds don't shift and blow this thing at Tokyo.

edit on 12-3-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

I have to agree. The Japanese government here is notoriously conservative with their reports of just about anything, especially during emergencies. They do not want to panic the people. After hearing all the Japanese government's conflicting reports and backtracking about the nuclear power plants overheating and possibly melting down, it is my feeling that things are much more grave than they will admit. I hope I am wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is all absolutely crazy. Earlier today on CNN they were saying 2 nuclear plants, with 5 reactors in serious trouble. Does anyone know the worse case scenerio for 3 reactors all melting down at the Fukushima (sp?) facility?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Just another great example of how goverments all over the world lie to the people right up until the end

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

edit on 13-3-2011 by Novatrino because: link wont stay put

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

The guys name is Joe Cirincione. He is all over the place now....here are some blurps of the kinda things he said.

www.montrealgazette.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
0406: More on the specific dangers of Fukushima 1 plant's reactor 3: The BBC's Chris Hogg in Toky says the reactor is fuelled with uranium and plutonium, meaning the consequences of a meltdown are much more severe than at the other reactors.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join