It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you can’t kill a message kill the way it’s conveyed: My thoughts on the music industry!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ok, you say you're looking for current music that is deep and has soul?

Try this out for size...

Not only that, there is also...

www.youtube.com...

I can out many more here, but I don't think its fair to judge today's music by plastic cheap artists such as lady gaga and Ke$ha...there is alot more out there that had good credibility.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

You should watch this vids i once posted in a thread!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also i would assume that there are indeed nice musicians outthere but they never will get the media attention they should deserve! The music industry has no intentions to release them for the masses or we would have a revolution the next week!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OP, this is a great topic and I'm very glad you brought it up!! I am from the same era as you and have also noticed the same trend. However, as has been mentioned here, you can find crap/fluff music in all eras and throughout ALL genres. Pop music is a menace lyricly speaking, but there are some that do try to delve a little deeper. It is also true that you must fit a certain "profile" if you wish to acheive super-stardom in today's industry. I believe a lot of this has to do with today's youth not wanting to (or having to for that matter) face reality through their music. They just want to dance and feel good when they listen to their music, hell, I did too as a teen.

There is much substance to be found, but it is more often than not found in the less popular artist's contributions. Before I met my second husband I would have NEVER dreamed of listening to the harder metal stuff, but I found out that there is one group whose lyrics are politically, socially and spiritually very powerful; System of A Down! Now they are no longer together and I'm not sure why, but they were FANTASTIC and even predicted 911 in one of their songs (we think anyway). However, the lyrics I'm going to share here are from a song that I just love and it moves me every time I hear it; "Soldier's Side" (off the two-part album "Mezmerize" & "Hypnotize"):

Dead men lying on the bottom of the grave
Wondering when savior comes, is he gonna be saved
Maybe you're a sinner into your alternate life
Maybe you're a joker, maybe you deserve to die

They were crying when their sons left
God is wearing black
He's gone so far to find no hope
He's never coming back

All young men must go
He's come so far to find the truth
He's never going home

Young men standing on the top of their own graves
Wondering when Jesus comes, are they gonna be saved
Cruelty to the winner, bishop tells the king his lies
Maybe you're a mourner, maybe you deserve to die

God is wearing black
He's gone so far to find no hope
He's never coming back

All young men must go
He's come so far to find no truth
He's never going home

Welcome to the soldier side
Where there is no one here but me
People all grow up to die
There is no one here but me

Welcome to the soldier side
People on the soldier side

Honestly, I'd say 95% of all their songs are extremely deep and if you can get past the thrashing music in the background, which actually makes the lyrics more powerful in my view, you will find some fantastically inspiring words! They are also extremely politically and environmentally active in their own rights. If you are interested; do a little research on Serj Tankien (lead singer and now solo artist). He is AMAZING!!!

Side Note: Lyrics courtesy of azlyrics.com

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
People posting on here are right - it's all dependent on where you look. If you turn on MTV, you will just find artists mainly dependent on image, because that's where they money's at.

Try going to a local music night at a bar, and you'll find the people who do it for the sake of it.
I was at an Irish local last night, which a group of four drunkards and a woman blasting out old irish folk tunes with acoustic guitars and hand drums. Was really great to see.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Urrrgh. Worst thread ever.

Music hasn't gone crap whatsoever, it's just that a lot of you don't know where to look for what you want to find. Yeah, I know, it's not an easy thing to do whatsoever, so I'm not gonna be much help. Also, if you have the mindset of "they don't have the soul of the classics, maaaaaan", you're not gonna find much stuff you really like. Though the mainstream of yesteryear seemed to have a lot of songs that are considered classics, I can't help but view them in the same way as the plastic mainstream crap of today. The oldies all had hooks and all that sort of crap, too, and I don't really care for it too much.

The last decade has been probably my favourite decade for music. Lots of fantastic releases by awesome bands and groups. If anything, compositions have gotten more interesting as time has gone on. Just stop listening to the radio.

Also, System of a Down really suck.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Urrrgh. Worst thread ever.

Music hasn't gone crap whatsoever, it's just that a lot of you don't know where to look for what you want to find. Yeah, I know, it's not an easy thing to do whatsoever, so I'm not gonna be much help. Also, if you have the mindset of "they don't have the soul of the classics, maaaaaan", you're not gonna find much stuff you really like. Though the mainstream of yesteryear seemed to have a lot of songs that are considered classics, I can't help but view them in the same way as the plastic mainstream crap of today. The oldies all had hooks and all that sort of crap, too, and I don't really care for it too much.

The last decade has been probably my favourite decade for music. Lots of fantastic releases by awesome bands and groups. If anything, compositions have gotten more interesting as time has gone on. Just stop listening to the radio.

Also, System of a Down really suck.

Wow. I think what's being said is that mainstream music is crap. In my opinion it's always been crap, nothing has changed in that respect. But many people don't even know where or how to start looking. If you really think this is the worst thread ever, you might wanna check the Top Topics for the last few weeks. The thread brings up a valid point, albeit opinionated: music just isn't what it used to be. Quality music is almost never played on the radio now whereas "back in the day" at least SOME quality was played every once in a while. Now we just remake, remix, and replay old instrumentals with crappy vocals (in most mainstream music).

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I got a little ahead of myself in my previous post and forgot to add that I have recently become aware of an increasing trend within the Hip Hop/Rap industry; If you Google Jay Z Illuminati, Eminem Illuminati, Lil Wayne Illuminati and so on, you might be surprised. The most recent example in the new Usher (featuring Jay-Z) song "Hot Toddy"!!!! Look that up, the rap portion of the song is, quite frankly, SHOCKING!!! Here's just a portion of those lyrics and an example of what direction this is all going:

They call me King Hov, copy?
They call me King Hov, copy, copy, copy?
Big ballin’ is my hobby
So much so they think I’m down with the illuminati
My watch do illuminate
My pockets are toddy
But I’m God body, ya’ll better ask somebody
I was born a God
I made myself a king
Which means I down graded to a human being
You was born a Goddess
I made you my queen
Which means we upgraded to Louis the thirteen

Side Note: Lyrics courtesy of elyrics.net

edit on 4-10-2010 by IrishCream because: oppssssss, better now hehehe

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by prepared4truth

Hokay, it's not the worst thread ever. I exaggerated a bit. I guess I'm just a little annoyed about the whole "remember when music was good?" type of of thing that happens everywhere these days.

Either way, excluding non mainstream material from the music industry doesn't work as it's a part of it. Then again, that's just arguing semantics, I guess.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by CountFive

Creedence Clearwater Revival is may be the greatest band ever.

From the deep south of America.

I'm a huge CCR fan, but just one minor point. They're not from the deep south, although listening to them, I can see where you might think so. Actually, the members all met in high school in California, just north of Oakland.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is exactly why I do not like music on the radio. I love underground an good local music that's actually good.

I love the sound of post-hardcore, indie, and pop punk and more. I love piano. I love orchestra. I love the guitar.I love underground bands.

Mainstream is all no soul, all gimmick, and all average let's get it in their heads through music.

I don't understand how people can listen to Lady Gaga or Ke$HA or whatever.

I like the old fashioned three to six guys/gals with instruments making talented thoughtful heartfelt music than manufactured pop.

Mainstream rock is ridiculously generic. I'd rather hear a guy hit the notes Anthony Green can hit and sustain than some guy on the local rock station singing humma hummama hummamama in that generic voice. I respect musicians because I love the art that is structured sound, but mainstream is more like controlled mass media than music with passion.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm going to be honest (which could be a little embarassing) I actually like to listen to a lot of the mainstream music like Ke$ha and Lady GaGa! This is in large part due to something I outlined in my 1st post here; I don't always like to over think the lyrics and I just want to feel good, period! Not everything has to be soul food musically, sometimes you do want to simply dance! Every week on Friday or Saturday night I just want to throw a few back, socialize with human beings and just have a good time, let loose, you know?! Music is something that human beings have indulged in since the dawn of mankind! To hear the drums beating, the wind instruments echoing and the strings soothing your very soul can be very theraputic, you know?!

Sometimes substance doesn't matter, however considering the very power music has over the human soul (i.e. "music soothes the savage beast"), one should seek "content" where something this powerful resides!!

Sometimes we really should "Just Dance" and "Take It Off" in order to relieve ourselves of some of the burden concerning the current state of the world! We should allow ourselves to chillax and unwind in a way that brings us back to the "feel good" state of things in general! A lot of times there is mal-intent from TPTB, but we here at ATS (especially) need to remember that even though we "know" more than the average person that doesn't mean we are not still human! Even though we know many things, that does not mean we shouldn't unwind once in awhile and connect with those we wish to enlighten and inform.

In fact, I think we could make far more progress in the "information game" if we connected with those people we care about on a more regular basis. I have found that I am taken far more seriously by those in "the dark" if I am seen as a "peer"!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I agree with some of the OP's statements, since during the three decades mentioned there was a revolution with rock and blues and reggae etc. but mostly in the English-speaking world.

You could say it was a time when music with serious lyrics was vastly popular - and you cannot say that about today's English-speaking world. That spiritual and political change chose English as its main language - all over the world people started to listen to rock groups.

You had classical music, folk, ethnic recordings, gospel and dance light music before, but most dance or light music had insignificant lyrics, or following fashions. That was still true of the first rock and roll hits, however, protest songs and other content was clearly coming in by the 60's.

Now the whole thing looks different if you understand French, Greek, Spanish, Russian or Arabic - there you had some urban songs, chansons, adapted folk tunes with more serious themes, as well as thematic music (like revolutionary songs). But from those decades rock (including Dylan etc.) changed that too. Moreover, hippies did not even dance to some of the most interesting stuff - Dylan for example. I mean it was not like mambo or swing. I am not saying that was not good music - I think Ella Fitzgerald can be judged as better musically than a lot of later popular music - but one thing is true, you had very popular music with sometimes playful, but sometimes very serious lyrics from the golden age of rock onwards.

However, at the time radio and club music did not always reflect what was good quality and interesting. In some non-English countries, such as Eastern Europe, listening to the Beatles or the Stones was considered a rebel bahavior and certainly it was not supported by the radio stations... Yet in other places such as France they always had their musical world, continually, but it changed with the advent of rock (etc.) which arrived in English.

I think even Persian and Arab music changed a little in response to Western popular rhythms.

I also agree that there are fewer interesting lyrics these days in English if you compare numbers and sales and TV. However, there still are some - and tastes differ as far as the musical basis - just the lyrics alone would not make someone listen... Some prefer reggae, some metal, some prefer native tongues such as Russian or Spanish.

Here is a 21st century song that was meaningful lyrics in English and popular from Faithless:
www.youtube.com...

IMO Lady Gaga has some depth to her music - not only light entertainment, however, as careful analysts of her music videos point out, her messages (including her "video rhymes") can be quite disturbing and very manipulative.

I'd rather let my kid listen to death metal (at least that is kinda open).

Then again, Jim Morrison wasn't an easy listening trip either...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think the music Industry has definitely lost its Mojo! I love all music apart from pop... I think any song that conveys a message with either emotions or expression from the band / artist is worth listening to! Anything else is bunch of crap in my opinion!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Let's please not forget THE CURE the best band ever
alright one more line

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There are tons of good underground bands out there.. I think one of the major issues is the net piracy: those crappy mp3s simply aren't the same as going into a record store and spending that 20$ on that album.

It's nice to see that vinyl is making a comeback. All those good bands collect a stable fanbase while most fads disappear in a year or two.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm an independent, unsigned musician. I have a cd out that I financed completely on my own. There are many, many others like me who, for the love of music have done the same. We have the tools and tech today to get our music out there without the suffocating restrictions and influence of image makers and profit takers. I have not made a boat-load of money. Most of us don't. Music is a joy when it is played for one's self, but it is also a great joy to share. That's why we do what we do. I agree with the OP that the mainstream, easily accessible music of today, in large part is bereft of substance. Sex and violence sells, my friends. Just look at T.V. and you have your answer as to why the music you hear on the radio is being foisted upon you. Make no mistake about it, the music and artists that are presented to you are carefully chosen. They don't just appear on the scene because of a groundswell of public support. No matter how it may appear. It has been this way for a long time though. It's not a new process. It is actually true that today the music industry execs have even less control over the availability of music and "who gets their music out there" than they ever have. "Indy" music sites have made it possible for someone to seek independent artists in any genre imaginable. There, you can find some really good stuff, and support the kind of music YOU WANT to hear! Here is just one of the places I have my music available:

CD baby

You can listen to a sample of the music that you are interested in and download individual tracks, or the entire cd of any artist, in a mind-blowing variety of genre's.

So, here is just one place where music lovers can find an alternative to the vacuous tripe that characterizes today's popular music.

Enjoy the search!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I represent the minority of ATS, so here is the opinion of a 17 year old

I do agree with the OP, in every music video nowadays its all about the image how many skinny, scanty dressed girls you can fit into it. I challenge someone to show me a music video that is 2 years old that doesn't have a semi-naked woman in it. The lyrics are dreadful aswel they make literally no sense and speak about partying doing drugs and sleeping with random people each weekend.

There clearly is something wrong here, i dont know how most of the english "rappers" can get a contract with no evident lyrical talent or dancing skill. I would love to find out who signs these people and who actually genuinly likes this music!

Lupe fiasco is an exceptional singer/rapper, he is the only person i know whos lyrics actually make sense and form a story and not just random words strung together by people who cant form a coherent sentence

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SubQuantum

I actually think that record contracts provide some kind of quality control.. a lot of (good, even underground bands) get signed up for a reason. There are probably a million great underground labels out there who sign bands mostly because of their musical merits. Good music sells, over time.. but it's hard to get people to listen now, since every tosser with a PC is making music now

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Music comes in waves, and it always resonates with what's happening within the culture of the day. Everyone's been dumbed down I have to say. Maybe I should just be like Madonna: study the cabala , then get up on stage and masturbate; and when I get into trouble I can always just gather my dancers around me and pray.

Star and Flag , mate.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Face it you are no longer the demographic that the commercial recording industry is targeting, thus you feel left out.

There has always been allot of stupid commercial formula music and many good bands have got caught up in it when they began allowing others to manage them.

What's clear is commercial success doesn't equal great musical artistry - though it may be considered good entertainment, but then so are most Las Vegas shows where they can switch the players and still create the same product twice a day.

There is still great interesting live & recorded music out there, it's just not all in the main commercial pipeline anymore. You can find it in most large cities - at least in the U.S.

Instead of waiting for an old band you like or have heard of to come to town, try going out to smaller venues and just taking a chance. Instead of letting large scale commercial success being your guide, decide for yourself by looking outside your normal boundaries. I think you may be surprised.

edit on 4-10-2010 by verylowfrequency because: sp & g

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join