It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those With ADHD Are the new race "Aquarian Children"?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thats not a good reason to have the opinion that you have about ADHD. That woman was purely CRAZY. I don't make up lies. I just find my self thinking whats the root of everything. What and hows.

ON another note I'm Laughing now becuase I'm playing online poker, reading this thread, listening to Freestyle music on AOL Radio, and watching my son watch T.V.

Ahh man how talented am I.lol

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
WOW GUYS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ONE OF MY POST ARE ON THE HOME PAGE!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

agreed. many times over. the energy would be real cool. between us yes, and in the company too. and what with everyone staying up all the time then there would be no way for any other competitors on regular hours to compete with us.

i'm new here , but i've seen the place where you can add ats members as friends in one's profile. i'm going to make you my first one.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

Heh,

I have ADD and was over 30 when I managed to see a psychiatrist about it, he gave a prescription for Concerta, which was good for a few months... After that I started to get very high blood pressure, panic attacks, had to stop taking medications.

Yes, it makes you think faster and consider things from many different points of view, so in a sense it might be good. It also fits our information society well, since it is easy to multitask and to follow endless streams of information.

On the other hand you might also experience great problems with "normal" people who will never understand you and it can also be very hard to manage issues like use of time or finances... These things can go into total chaos.

I constantly, always feel a bit anxious and stressed due to this. I often have problems with insomnia and depression. So in the end, I think it sucks being an ADHD. People also have difficulty understanding that things like getting a stable career or a house don't mean anything to me, since I wouldn't feel any less anxious even if I lived in a castle, you know... For me it is better to move around and switch jobs every year or two, otherwise I would get bored.

Gotta say that this world is so chaotic... You cannot plan beyond one month anyhow, so maybe we really are the Aquarians, heh... So in this world it is impossible to plan, and we are unable to plan, maybe we are the new chaos people for the new chaotic world, heh...

But yes, I tend to think that this really is neurological rather than psychological, since I tend to feel the same in very different situations... Good job, bad job, living in this country or that country, girlfriend or no girlfriend, many hobbies or no hobbies, little money or lotsa money, it always feels the same.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

We'll be a competitors nightmare!LMAO.. I'll add you also. you'll be my first Friend add too.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You prove that even a broke clock is right two times a day.

I believe every child is divine and very special.

Okay, I admit that it is just my opinion and that many people may not agree with me ,but I think the problem with their difficult in believing is that every child has not been allowed to develop to their full potential.

We treat children the way it was depicted in the movie "The City Of Embers", I think that was the name.

We pretty much have a child pull a name out of a hat and that is what they are supposed to be for the rest of their life, "and" they are supposed to LOVE it.

I think every child has a divine gift but we do not have the knowledge or the patience for finding out what that is. Some children are lucky in that their passion is so great for their talent that they will not be kept from it. Others are lucky enough to have parents that are willing to allow them the space to find it and the money and the time to support it.

Most are stuck with parent that either make the choice and push the kid into it or ignore them all together.

I am not ragging on parents and I am not ragging on children. I am just saying that most of us never realize our true talents because we are huddled off into directions that suit our families, our communities and our societies.

That is just the way it is most of the time.

It doesn't change that the child is not special. It just means that we never get to see how much.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Etsivä Romppainen

I like your chas theory. Its true. I sometimes get depressed becuase when I have perfect plans, something that is completely out of my control would throw a monkey wrench in it! And my wife sometimes thinks its me, but its beyond my control, and I feel like the failure most of the times.

the world is chaotic and "Normal" people seem not to see that its getting crazier by the day.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I would classify it as "the next stage in human evolution". First, I always thought that this behavior was actually pretty natural for a child, since I myself was (and to a certain extent, still am) this way. The only "difference" if you can call it that, is how it was handled. My parents, rather than take me to a doctor and have me drugged, instead tried to direct my energy towards a lot of activities, which made it possible for me to learn more and have a variety of skills and at the same time "calm me down"

Again, the reason why I don't necessarily think this was abnormal, was because many children used to be this way long before the TV and video games. They didn't call them ADD or ADHD kids, but rather, they said "well they just need an activity" or "Well he's just being a 'brat' just give him something to focus all his energy on"

Now with TV's Video games and Ipods, people, including parents, have become less active and less involved. It's easier to sit your child in front of the TV to keep them quiet, than it is to parent them properly. So of course, when one of their children shows an "unusual" amount of energy, they immediately think there is something wrong.

I was raised "old school" because my father was a "product" of 1920's parenting. Which meant what? hardly any TV or Video Games and most of our time was spent out doors playing or in some of my cases, indoors learning about a multitude of stuff. From Ghosts, UFO's and cryptids (which were my favorite subject) to Paleonthology and Archeology (when I was a child I wanted to be Indiana Jones) to computers etc. When I was too active, I would join martial arts and boy scouts which taught me discipline and focus as well as handy survival skills.

By the time I was in college, I was bored, not because I didn't understand the subjects (especially math) on the contrary, it was that I understood it well enough that I was very VERY often 3 steps ahead of the teacher. Whenever I was asked a question by a teacher, I would fumble, and would give her an answer 3 steps ahead of where she was, so obviously it "looked" as if I was wrong, until she got to the part that my mind was processing the problem.

But again, I don't think this is "abnormal" in any way, but instead, I think it is being LABELED as such, because some of us have forgotten or become lax in our parenting skills.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Question]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have been frequenting ATS for a while now, however I just registered so hello to all.

I read your ADHD post and it struck a chord with me. I have not been diagnosed with it, but I have almost all the symptoms. Have trouble paying attention to things that do not interest me. Frequently forget to do things. My mind is CONSTANTLY running - always contemplating this or that. I am very easily distracted, sometimes just by a thought.... the list goes on..

Now I know I am not a stupid person. I have an above average IQ (if that is even relevant). I am a problem solver. I am an artist - I draw portraits, comic book art, concept art, still life.... pretty much anything. I paint, sculpt, etc. I excel at anything that requires creativity. I also play guitar, drums, piano, bass guitar... all without ever taking lessons. Music is just something that I understand on different levels than most people. These talents I have were not learned. I was born with them...however, I graduated highschool with a 2.0 GPA, failed out of two colleges and havent gone back.

I sometimes think that I am stupid because I couldnt even pass college courses... I just couldnt do work that required me to focus on mundane, monotonous, boring things... it is almost painful for me to force myself into concentrating on things that dont challenge me or perk my interest.

I dont know anything about "Aquarian children..." but I feel different than most other people.... I dont know how to explain it other than that I feel as though I am "separate" from most other people...if that makes sense.

Almost everyone in this country values material things....brand name clothing, jewelry, nice cars, big unnecessary homes -- all of that crap.. I value absolutely none of that. I realize that this "culture" is shoved down our throats constantly from every angle everyday. So I dont blame the people that value material things over most everything else. I just dont understand the appeal. This way of thinking just allows me to see the world differently...

I'm rambling.... - - I read your post and i felt i should comment.. Maybe i am an Aquarian child... who knows...
good day...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sodeni

Welcome. I'm looked at very differently from most of my generation(im 23) and I don't do or care about the things most of my peers do. I don't own a single brand name item nor do I care too. Its all material bs. the two material items I care about is my computer and my guild d35 from 1972 lol... so i feel you... welcome to ats!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I will read your earlier thread later but as someone who has ADD I can say pretty unequivocally that it's not a gift. I'm not special because of it. Our brains think in fast forward and process things really quickly yeah I get it but it's all for squat when you can't keep the thoughts in your head as your attention is so easily drawn away. I don't take medication for it since what is prescribed is amphetamines! I eat a very healthy diet and do a lot of yoga to keep my head as clear as I can. I'm still a total space cadet though. School is damn near impossible because when you hit subject matter that isn't 100% enthralling you will find yourself reading the same passage 8-12 times before you even comprehend what you are reading because of this supposedly fast mind that wants to concentrate on every and anything else but what you're doing. I don't feel unique or a special snowflake I just feel like certain career choices for me are totally out of the question (med school, law school) for me due to not being able to handle high amounts of reading regardless of whether you are intelligent enough to process the material.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I have this as well, and I am being treated for it as well the meds allow my mind to slow down a bit however, I can consecrate a hundred present. I can see though deception better than most people can and I have a wide-open mind, I always examine both sides of any events. It does have its problems; however, the rewards are far greater.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I can't keep up with this thread it is getting so big!!!

I would encourage us ATSers to have our own room in the near future which could be great help for us ADDers.

I will have to read the rest of the threads then maybe follow up with some of my personal observations.

Daniel G Amen MD is a expert on ADD and proves the condition through Brain Spect scans, or series that isolates and documents the brain and brain activity.

The book I have of his is, "Healing ADD."

His approach I agree with, which is to treat ADD in this order;

1. Diet
2. Exercise
3. Meds

One last thing. The more I learn about myself, the less I can blame on my ADD. I DO and always taken responsibility with all and any of my actions.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator
My own observation of adhd kids and adults is that it's all diet. A kid spent the day at our house not too long ago, an adhd kid. My wife opened his lunch box and found 2 large chocolate chip cookies, bag of jelly worms, can of coca cola, packet of cheetos, candy bar. Now.. I wonder why this kid is adhd??? Even those who say 'not true' because they have a good diet are still way off the mark and consuming mass amounts of additives and preservatives and colas. We have our kid on a very good diet and she's doing great in school, has excellent attention span and very well behaved. Anyway just my 2c

Its not all diet. My biggest pet peeve is anything lumped into ONE.

My daughter was ADD - she had a zero attention span on a One-to-One. The teacher had to squeeze her hand to get her to focus. I began eating a health diet before pregnancy. After her diagnoses at age 6 in 1974 - - I restricted all our diets even more to eliminate all sugars - colorings - additives - preservatives etc. I also put her on a swim team for patterning.

I think there is a lot going on. I think generations have eaten or absorbed unnatural chemicals in our bodies - - which is affecting the brain and other physiological inheritants. I also believe the unnatural environment we live in affects our bodies and future generations.

HOWEVER - - I also believe we are evolving and other areas of the brain are being triggered to be more aware and receptive to energy/messages/signals - - etc.

I was a very strange kid myself - way back in the 50s. I was aware more was going on then just what was in front of me. I had many OBEs & psychic experiences. Back then there was no one to talk to.

Today's children need to be encouraged and allowed to be who they were born to be.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I am still struggling with the idea that I've got from teachers and parents and the likes all these years that somehow it is my fault that I don't concentrate properly. Merryxmas described having to read passages 8-12 times over before getting anything into the brain properly. I find those times are probably my most upsetting lol
On a worse day (sometimes I feel more scattered and hopelessly nuts than others) 8-12 won't do it, let alone 500 - it is just simply, purely impossible. I will spend hours. That should say enough. But it's like I'm still brainwashed into thinking that it's my own flaw and fault - if I psych myself into caring or wanting it enough, if I am disciplined enough, if I had better self-control (mom's favourite accusation) that will go away, I WILL get it done properly, I want to think.

Hours later and in tears having a panic attack because I'm failing a major exam and going to have to spend that much more extra time and money to graduate, scared, angry, furious and sickened with myself, I still sit there and think I mustn't care enough. I have a flawed lazy personality.
Right. Hours devoted to something, taking all the appropriate breaks and using all the study strategies gathered over years, and this and that, must be a sign of laziness! Hours devoted despite the fact that it is highly uncomfortable and fruitless....yep, total lack of self-control there. And freaking out in the end when the test is in 4 minutes and nothing has been effective after all this time.... is one sure sign of not caring......

It's absurd written down here. But these are things I'll still think and attack myself with. Very illogical.
At least I'm out of school now so I've just kind of crumpled in on myself and stayed away from anything stress producing as best I can which...isn't always good haha....
But I have to get these things out of my head, I still hear my grade 3 teacher complaining to my mom in front of me and I'm 25 lol

And I am sure others would have to reconsider a lot of what goes through their heads due to struggles with ADD/ADHD...the things they believe about themselves and the likes...
I do and have, and still when things get rough, illogical stuff pops up and tries to take over so I imagine it takes a great deal of time to really sink it in and accept who you are for many...it's ..odd.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by phoebeflakes]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Reading this thread has made my day, Many of the posts here exactly sum up how my life has been over the years.

Substance abuse is a funny one though definatly used to fill a gap! if i could sum it up i would say i wasnt addicted to the substance(S) but the feeling of being connected to the people around me.

Because with ADHD it is hard to connect with people on any level unless they are 95% like me

I have been diagnosed since i was a kid been on every type of drug they could of given out! Even an experimental one from america that slow released throughout the day.

I dont medicate no more because i have come to terms with who i am and i believe this is the way i was made so this is the way i should stay!

Saying that though im only 2 ticks away from a really depressed stage!

But thanks for the thread nice to know people are out their like me,just wish i could of stumbled upon something like this when i was having a bad time with it!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sodeni

welcome to ATS,hello!

First of all you seem to be really talented with all the skills you have. Just because you "flunked" College doesn't mean your "stupid" at all. Maybe its just a waist of time? And your destiny is your art? Thats how I see things. College is good in most cases because thats what you need to further you career goals. But if you have talent already? Psss!t who needs college?

I'm not into material things as much, but I do like to have nice things because I know quality is better then quantity. Thats the Leo part in me though, an I was raised to "Worship" Material things, but now I know whats more important, family and experiencing good things.

But you maybe be an "Aquarian Child" who knows?lol Good luck with you Art and thanks for joining ATS!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sodeni
Almost everyone in this country values material things....brand name clothing, jewelry, nice cars, big unnecessary homes -- all of that crap.. I value absolutely none of that. I realize that this "culture" is shoved down our throats constantly from every angle everyday. So I dont blame the people that value material things over most everything else. I just dont understand the appeal. This way of thinking just allows me to see the world differently...

Hello ADDers, do you think ADDers are less materialistic than other people?

Cause my aim in career/materialistic side is to have an interesting job that makes me enough money for living, but I am not aiming to do any kind of investments or take loans (besides student loan I am paying back now) at all! Never!

Cause getting stuck with some mortgage loan would probably be the apocalypse for me. Could just as well die. I wanna keep a certain possibility that I switch jobs or move to another country. I would not be at all happier if I owned a big house. Actually I would probably suffocate.

On the other hand I am also very good at spending money on nothing... It just goes surprisingly fast... Probably has something to do with ADHD planning deficiency... But really, I think it is really impossible to plan anything in western societies now. The days when you could plan your life and career for decades ahead are over. And they have been over since the early nineties, when I was a teenager...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by king Pop!p
reply to post by Etsivä Romppainen

the world is chaotic and "Normal" people seem not to see that its getting crazier by the day.

This is what I mean - in the future "normal" people will be left wondering about what happened to the society/economy they knew while ADHDers have already moved ahead...

Maybe we should just learn to love the unpredictability and randomness of life and society.

I don't really believe in this Aquarius/2012/New Age -stuff. I think that our technology and science will transform society, culture and economy completely within a few years. Maybe one decade. The future will be something we cannot even imagine. Something like the Borg from Star Trek would be possible even with our current technology, but when we add things like nanotechnology, biotech, quantum physics... The society will be something we cannot even imagine.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
A lot of these symptoms can also be related to Aspergers

Aspergers

This test is meant to be quite accurate

Aspie Quiz

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join