It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those With ADHD Are the new race "Aquarian Children"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

LOL agreed....at least we live up to the HYPE... Pun much intended.

Still funny though, I thought about that myself. Ha but now its off to work, so no more posts for a while

That is, if I can find my D*** car keys....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I've known plenty of kids when I was in school that got sent to said room. They generally suffered from an ailment called "stupidity". Some of the kids had genuine disorders but others were just there looking for an easy ride. The educational system of the US is indeed broken and I always found it funny that those kids would have higher grades than me when they'd be taking subjects such as Breathing 101.

I really didn't care enough to keep my grades up so It didn't really bother me. When they were teaching things in class, I was already thinking about how to apply it and had no interest in mundane "set-up" problems. In calculus, I actually came up with a simpler way to do a function that determined limits. I was so excited I came up with a better way to do the problems, that I actually enjoyed working through them (not so much that I did the homework consistantly though).

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

People in my school brag about having plans because it means they don't need to try. Many of them get straight A's. Actually, one of the top students in my class is autistic and has a super high GPA because they give him credit for practically nothing.

Standards are strange things.

It just happened today. We had a vocabulary quiz. I had studied and I did fine because I work hard and I spent all of last night reviewing. Three kids grabbed the tests and went down to resource, only to come back with perfect scores.

The teachers aren't happy about it, either.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

hey i said i have it too!

even though i haven't been diagnosed, which i'm hesitant to do for obvious reasons, i still show many signs of it, and others have suggested that i might have it...

anyway, i didn't mean to offend anyone - just trying to make fun of myself!

...notice i'm still in this thread, too!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Great post. I agree with you, but the "Honey-Do" part was hilarious. I hate when my wife ask me to do something.lol..

Does any one else want to accomplish so many things that you feel you are passionate about, but their isn't enough time in the world to learn and study it??? Thats what bothers me the most about ADHD, thats all.

How about when you talk on the phone about business to a new prospect or a job interview does your brain race an can't articulate what you are thinking, and have like a brain fart?lol Thats the 2nd bad thing about ADHD. Articulating becuase I have a high I.Q score and I'm very smart but I can't sound to smart!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

Its ok "brother" no offense taken.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I have a cousin who is autistic and while his enunciation suffers greatly, his sentence complexity has always been way above his age level. I believe if people quit babying them, they'd really be capable of some amazing things. They get special treatment nonetheless.

That said, I also heard the kids bragging about how easy it is when they went down there. Not being able to learn is one thing but intentionally manipulating a system shows signs of enough intelligence that extra help should not be available.

I never actually reviewed for anything because it would bore me. During my senior year, I realized that if I watched and listened to two people review for a test I would retain the information they went over way better than if I did it myself and this was all just passive viewing. I would suggest this same method to anyone in school with a similar behavior pattern (within the realm of not seeming creepy).

The only thing you can take solace in is that after school, you know how to work for something as well as the steps required to go through the motions until you can do what you want to do. I've seen what happens to those people after school, unless their family has a well connected job for them, they don't amount to much.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yes. Articulating is difficult a lot of times. Absolutely what I go through as well. I am learning to recognize some patterns to it. Sometimes I show up at work and tell them I am going to be a zombie today! I always thought it was from downplaying my intelligence early on. I never wanted to be the "smart" kid, so I would try not to seem that way. Nowadays it is hard to seem smart at all, lol!

I wonder if it is related to bipolarism as well? I don't think I am bipolar, but I certainly have zombie days, and hyperactivity days. I tend to do all my work in short intense bursts when a deadline is looming, and pay attention to other things (ATS) the rest of the time.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have been researching ADD lately and have come to the conclusion that I have and always had it. I'm 33 and here is some other info about me.
My mom smoked while she was pregnant and had to be given oxygen during birth. I could already read at the age of 4 but somehow I had to repeat kindergarten twice (socially immature, anti-social not hyperactive). I was in the gifted programs all through grade school and always did well without having to do homework. Right before high school I had a traumatic experience. That's when I started to dabble with alcohol. High school was harder than grade school but i managed to still be in the top 10%. I was good at math and physics and most other courses. College was probably the best and worst time of my life. I started to dabble with psychedelics and this opened my eye to the "real" world. I changed my major 3 times and it took me 6 years to get an associates degree. I managed to get a good job and have always excelled in everyone that I have had in the last 12 years. I admit that I self medicate with alcohol and mj almost daily. The mj really helps me get motivated to do things despite what prohibitionists say. I have a love for all types of music and play guitar. I hate doing the same old same old. I also have been called the dumbest smart guy(constantly losing everything)I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing. Hopefully, I can get up the courage to go see a doctor.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Yes. Articulating is difficult a lot of times. Absolutely what I go through as well. I am learning to recognize some patterns to it. Sometimes I show up at work and tell them I am going to be a zombie today! I always thought it was from downplaying my intelligence early on. I never wanted to be the "smart" kid, so I would try not to seem that way. Nowadays it is hard to seem smart at all, lol!

I wonder if it is related to bipolarism as well? I don't think I am bipolar, but I certainly have zombie days, and hyperactivity days. I tend to do all my work in short intense bursts when a deadline is looming, and pay attention to other things (ATS) the rest of the time.

I also got that last minute deadline focus. It was almost like it was more fun if I had to exert an extreme amount of focus in a small period of time. Leads a lot of credence to that hunter theory like things are boring unless an unnecessary stress is applied.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cav1128

I have been called the very same thing.....A lot.... "Dumbest Smart Guy" I tend to agree with an earlier poster that it is almost impossible for me to get addicted to anything. I can't empathize with the alcohol and MJ. I drink socially, and I tried MJ, but it just didn't do anything for me. I had hoped to use it creatively for my writing. I even tried to learn to smoke (cigarettes) this year. I had planned to start smoking, keep it up all year, and then pressure my wife and parents to quit next year with me helping as an example. I started on January 1st, but I kept forgetting to smoke. I would take some of their cigarettes everytime I was around them, but I just didn't think of it at work or otherwise, and the habit never developed.

I was also in the Gifted program at school, and Highschool was indeed much more difficult to maintain my grades. I didn't think about the ADD, but the difficulty came from cars, girls, parties, sports, work, etc., so the ADD was probably the underlying factor.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten

I also got that last minute deadline focus. It was almost like it was more fun if I had to exert an extreme amount of focus in a small period of time. Leads a lot of credence to that hunter theory like things are boring unless an unnecessary stress is applied.

Absolutely, I've always too seemed to be able to, when applied pressure, work much more effectively and at the same time, thoroughly enjoyed the process! It's almost like a rush, with instant gratification and sense of accomplishment (wow I'm awesome. Just finished that 6 week project in one night! Ha, six weeks, losers.....)

I never considered it was because of what you said...Good thinking. I was told by my teachers, consular and parents that I just didn't challenge myself, and neither did the school work. I remember my first year of college, I would only show up to class on test days, and the final. But then I would make straight A's at the same time, and I remember other people hating me for it. I never could listen to someone else talk....I'd much rather sit down and really apply myself to it, it's the only way for me to comprehend something.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

It was almost like it was more fun if I had to exert an extreme amount of focus in a small period of time. Leads a lot of credence to that hunter theory like things are boring unless an unnecessary stress is applied.

Exactly, it is more fun, and I perform much better that way. Someone posted earlier that people with ADD/ADHD tend to be entrepreneurs, leaders, etc. I think it is because we crave that stress! We can't stand to sit and watch a team, or boardroom, or company under-perform. We tend to take control and PUSH things to the limit.

Hopefully this transforms into success, but it can often be failure as well. My entrepreneur endeavours have been mostly failures, but my success in corporations has been terrific. Therefore, I realize I need to be surrounded by people of the other personality types to be successful. I can't do it all on my own, but I can sure push other people to be great!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It's almost like a rush, with instant gratification and sense of accomplishment (wow I'm awesome. Just finished that 6 week project in one night! Ha, six weeks, losers.....)
thats why I play poker for a living.lol...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Karrotz

I also "didn't challenge myself". I sought an application instead of just learning. The ability to seemingly succeed on demand would definitely be irritating to others. Some people just can't bring themselves to focus in on the preliminary steps to their goals.

reply to post by getreadyalready

Sometimes I'll organize a trip to the movies with a few friends and its kind of like "instantaneously methodical". Who's going to drive and who else would probably want to go are just thought of and decided on (upon getting there I seek a very secluded area of seats in the back which is also thought of in advance). I suppose that'd be the type of aggressiveness required for a good business attitude if one could rain in the tendancy to drift their ambitions.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I notice that a lot of us (short attention span, smart dumb kids etc.) Have very similar issues with self fulfillment and motivation past something "cool". I as well enjoy making up my own math solutions, while constantly thinking outside the box (seems to happen on its own). I also drown my boredom with a couple drinks daily and a dube or 2. I require sedation of choice just to get through an above average movie.
The question lies, how do we (our own niche) take advantage of this gift (and it is a gift)? All these years our education system has catered to the average, leaving us out. So as with all situations we perceive, we need to figure it out on our own.

How do YOU focus yourselves?
What kind of work do YOU find fulfilling?
Is there any literature the YOU have read, that provided moments of clarity.

We are the smartest people on this planet, we are drugging ourselves down to average?

We are not fulfilled, that's why.

I know that I want to feel that this energy goes to bettering someone, or something.

Please elaborate, it is time we started taking advantage of ourselves.

Thanks,

Canuckeyes

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Dude, that's deep. It's like you have written about me even though it's you that you are writing about. The smartest dumb kid part was amazing. I was held back in the six grade. Was freaking awful the way other kids treated me for being held back. Yet today I am fluent and literate in two languages , working on my third, and I compose music, play guitar , and sing. Sorry if it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn. I'm not . Those things are not even all that exceptional, but they are not what would come from a dumb kid. Just trying to show the two extremes. A friend gave me adderall last friday and it was so easy to get loads of things done. He gave me two actually and I took the second one today. I'm flying through my work , efficiently though, and I felt like I wanted to write on this thread. Is vyvance better than adderall, do you know? I need something . ADHD/ADD is a gift as much as it is a curse. If there is some form of herbal medication then I would prefer that. And no I don't mean the favorite herb of my fellow musicians

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by canuckeyes

We are the smartest people on this planet, we are drugging ourselves down to average?

That is certainly a telling synopsis of today's education system. I totally agree with you.

I find myself very satisfied when I do construction work, or when I am in a fight, lol! My day job is currently working in an office for the state of Florida, but I hate it! My degree is in chemistry, but I can't stand the lab.

When I build things, I get to put a lot of problem solving, physical labor, and instant gratification to work. Plus sawing and hammering relieve stress. I just haven't been able to make it work as a career so far.

I also feel very satisfied after any type of emergency situation where I was useful. When I was younger, my friends and I would get into a lot of fights, and that was pretty satisfying, but as I age it seems a little too dangerous. Physical sporting events tend to keep me focused when they are competitive, but as an adult it is harder and harder to find good competitive leagues to participate in. Football, basketball, martial arts, etc., work well for me, but bowling and softball don't do the trick!

Writing non-fiction makes me very satisfied, but it is difficult to do in my off hours because of the kids and wife, and I haven't been able to convert it to an income yet.

Surely there is a way for us to apply our skills to something world changing?!? The world needs it and so do we, so how do we get involved. I don't have the income to become a politician or philanthropist.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
With some fear of being shot down for over simplifying, ADD people tend to have a high right brain preference.

Logic and analysis are suborned to intuition and synthesis - this is a generalization - but I think its got merit. Right brain prefs learn by role playing, watching and doing - rarely by listening or reading, unless its purely memorization which they can excel at.

I would suggest drugs aren't the answer - rather realize that using intuition, synthesis and approaching things holistically is perfectly ok. You don't need to isolate things into true or false, rather just accept all the knowledge coming in - and you will be hit with flashes of insight.

Suck in as much knowledge as you can - great things can spring out of nowhere in minds like these.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

When I build things, I get to put a lot of problem solving, physical labor, and instant gratification to work. Plus sawing and hammering relieve stress. I just haven't been able to make it work as a career so far.

I also feel very satisfied after any type of emergency situation where I was useful. When I was younger, my friends and I would get into a lot of fights, and that was pretty satisfying, but as I age it seems a little too dangerous. Physical sporting events tend to keep me focused when they are competitive, but as an adult it is harder and harder to find good competitive leagues to participate in. Football, basketball, martial arts, etc., work well for me, but bowling and softball don't do the trick!

Writing non-fiction makes me very satisfied, but it is difficult to do in my off hours because of the kids and wife, and I haven't been able to convert it to an income yet.

Surely there is a way for us to apply our skills to something world changing?!? The world needs it and so do we, so how do we get involved. I don't have the income to become a politician or philanthropist.
Same boat here. I love helping people it humbles me down so much, that once I do a nice deed I look for another to do.

@ Canuckeyes... I focus my self buy stopping for a moment and look out the window and look at the trees swinging because of the breeze. Nature gets me focused a lot. thats how I find my self sticking to the plan and keeping my eye on the prize...

The work I like is like creating things- Electrical engineering type stuff with gadgets an all. I like sales. I like Educating myself on history, science, and physics. I like to make beats. I like to draw, and I love Poker (Texas Hold'em) ..

I like books on psychology and self improvement.... Dale Carnegie, and Robert Green books

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join