It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those With ADHD Are the new race "Aquarian Children"?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Please do not take this post personally, I am merely pointing out an observation of mine.

I seem to be having some trouble distinguishing ADHD/ADD with an imagination. I feel that it's only natural for a child to have an active imagination, and I can't see why they are classified as having a "disorder." Children are new to this world and are experiencing everything (which in this day and age is quite a lot of stimulus) for the first time. Of course it's hard to focus on schoolwork or whatever when there are so many things going on. It's common sense to me that a kid isn't going to want to sit patiently and silently in a classroom 5 days a week, not being aloud to talk to their friends that are sitting right next to them. Children are curious about the world around them and are constantly being bombarded by different stimulus which makes it very difficult to remain 100% focused on the task at hand.

Also, I feel that most people that claim to have ADD/ADHD seem to use it as another excuse for why they aren't performing to their fullest potential.

ALSO, is taking a pill really a good long-term solution for this? Shouldn't we be helping the children learn to concentrate on their own, rather than them having to depend on a medication.

Please remember, I mean no disrespect, I mean only to debate!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
A lot of these symptoms can also be related to Aspergers

Aspergers

This test is meant to be quite accurate

Aspie Quiz

Asperger's syndrome and "inattentive" ADHD with little hyperactivity are very similar.

Many people have both.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
thanks for the replies - - i feel i must clear a few things up...
my disdain for the material world has more to do with the "more more more" attitude rather than just valuing material things.
people work their whole lives just for the sake of owning things - a boat, a house, 10 houses, a Mercedes, 10 mercedes'....etc. you get the idea. i just dont understand the need for the excess. dont get me wrong..having a home for your family and knowing you worked for it is probably one of the most rewarding feelings anyone can have...and i am not by any means demeaning anyone who values this sort of thing. it just doesnt seem worth it considering all the one has to go through to get it.
now i dont want to sound cliche, but there is so much more to life than what you own. unfortunately, we live in a reality where it is extremely hard to be happy without money or material possessions ultimately and i applaude anyone who can find happiness without the aid of the almighty dollar. but that is the world in which we live - unfortunate as it may be, that is reality. but the way i see it...people put themselves through an exorbitant amount of stress and hardship just so they can drive a nice car or so they can have a home with marble countertops and vaulted ceilings... and then they spend even more time and money and work merely trying to keep these things that they own... and then a crap economy comes along and the banks foreclose and take their homes and their cars which brings to mind the question: did they ever really own these things to begin with? a quote from the movie fight club comes to mind..."the things you own, end up owning you". again, this is the reality we live in.
when it comes to the human mind, this reality is also present. from the age of 5 to 18 we are in school for a large majority of our life...and if we choose to go to college, that is even more time. so from the beginning we are taught that if we want to be happy and successful, then we have to participate in the "real world" - which to me means, working at a job for money to sustain ourselves and then some....and if we want to be happy, then work REALLY hard and buy a big house and own new cars.... all of this preparation if you want to call it that is based on specific systems...curriculums... and ADHD/ADD children, including myself, have hard times conforming to these systems, hence we show signs of a mental disorder called ADD/ADHD. so is it right to say that it is a mental disorder because we have trouble conforming to ONE specific system?
the system we live in isnt designed to cater to those with this "disorder". i am just waiting for the system to change...ill probably be waiting til death unfortunately...
as you can see, i question everything - which is just another "symptom" of ADHD ADD... lol
how many of my fellow ADD'ers are really talented at something?

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Sodeni]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Interesting! I have ADD w/o the H. I was in honors classes in high school and was st the top of my class. I went on to get a M.S. In ecology From Texas A&M. I was diagnosed with ADD during my 1st year of college...and I was just baffeled that I could have this "disorder". Knowing that, it gave me a diminished self image. However, after reading this, It makes me feel renewed. I have always felt like I was not just intelligent, but intuitively intelligent, as I could absorb large amounts of information and aced many courses w/o ever opening a book. Hello Aquarian era. I just know great things are in store for mankind.

Star & Flag for you...you brightened my day!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gigliorononomicon
Also, I feel that most people that claim to have ADD/ADHD seem to use it as another excuse for why they aren't performing to their fullest potential.

ALSO, is taking a pill really a good long-term solution for this? Shouldn't we be helping the children learn to concentrate on their own, rather than them having to depend on a medication.

There is a huge difference between an ADD/ADHD - - and just an over active child.

My daughter was ADHD. Her son was an extremely over active child we nicknamed Tigger. The school did try to medicate him - - but fortunately because I was experienced with a real case of ADHD - - I would not allow it.

I was fortunate with my daughter - even though it was in 1974 - to have a great doctor - school cooperation - and all the tools I needed.

Her pediatrician only allowed medication during school hours and only for a few months at a time - - believing a child could correct their own behavior if they see the difference by experiencing it. He also said: NO ONE knows their child better then its mother - - and ALWAYS listened to me.

He said: I don't care if you have to turn your home into a padded cell - - NO medication except during school hours.

So YES! In my opinion - - this has become an epidemic of "easy" mis-diagnosis and misuse of drugging children.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gigliorononomicon

Well, in many cases the ADHD really doesn't go away with age, so then you have an adult with ADHD.

Since it is a neurological thing there is little to do except to eat pills. I mean you cannot just analyze it away.

But yes, I also believe that some people are claiming to be ADHD while their problems are something different completely.

Sometimes I feel that our society has ADHD and not individual people. Think about it. Very little long-term planning, everything changes constantly, impossible to predict anything... Short messages like ads and music videos are preferred over slow and careful analysis like books, everything has to happen very fast... Everybody is online all the time, the information bombardment in continuous... You know what I mean?

Like in the Middle Ages an average person could expect nothing to change in his lifetime, now we expect everything to be completely different every decade. Think about somebody who was born before World War 2, would have gone through many eras as different as Middle Ages and the Renaissance several times during his lifetime!

It may be that ADHDers have an advantage over "normal" humans in the future.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed ADD inattentive.He is really musically gifted,plays the guitar like a pro.He taught himself starting around 5 yrs.He rocks. You seem to have a lot of experience with this and I would love to ask for your advice and insight into this.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
My son is certainly like me in this area. I am 49 and if you want me to concentrate on somethng for more that a few min.. Oooh, something shiny.
bbl.

Kinda kidding there, but that's how it works. Good thing is I can concentrate on multiple things at a time, just not one.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas
School is damn near impossible because when you hit subject matter that isn't 100% enthralling you will find yourself reading the same passage 8-12 times before you even comprehend what you are reading because of this supposedly fast mind that wants to concentrate on every and anything else but what you're doing. l.

Absolutely. This sucks so bad. When you read a simple explanation in a textbook, read it again, and again, but for some odd reason you read it, but it's almost as if your brain was disconnected somehow. I hated that, I used to get so mad at myself that I would just give up, sling the book to the floor and turn my xbox back on, and just forget about it.

For the guy that said ADD is bs? That's interesting, but I disagree 100%. It's a psychological condition, or a "category" for people who's brain works in similar ways to each other, but unique from the "norm."

I do believe that ADD, in regards to children, is used often as a scapegoat for parents who just don't know how to handle their kids running wild or rambling on or w/e. Like I said earlier, MTV and the Disney Channel will rot your kids brains!! So yea it can be a product of society, but with adult ADHD I tend to think the opposite. I can distinctly remember when things changed for me, and when I started having the symptoms for ADHD. Maybe I always did have it, just never realized it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh boy,

I don't know where to start all you guys are JUST LIKE ME!
I just had to post in this one. I would love to share some of my experiences with you. I'm 30 years old, unemployed (by choice), very creative, curious and currently very depressed cause i don't have ANY self esteem. I look at my self as a looser that cannot achive anything and only "DREAMS" everyday about alot of things.

I'm like in this constant dream state, i think superfast and sometimes it drives me crazy. I feel like a computer on a overdrive running out of memory. I also feel tired most of the time. I have tought about taking meds, but im scared of all drugs, i dont like anything that effects my mind. I feel like it could change my personality and i would not like it. I think i have no other choice than to go for meds, if im not out of my isolation state by next fall. Since i need to get into work and out of my depression. I would love to be normal person in a society, but i have now realised its impossible goal to achive. However i will get to work, i would do it tomorrow but i cannot cause i have no work history past 4 years.

My biggest problem is that i cannot complete ANYTHING! I start many things but nothing gets done, i always get to half way, but then i get even better idea and start doing that, and repeating this time after time or the current task gets boring and i give up and start to dream about another project.

Here is an example:

I decided to do a website like ATS:

I got to here:

img193.imageshack.us...

It's completely working website, but hence i would have had to post with my self to get any content i gave up. I gave up cause it was not interesting to post with my self.

I have created crap loads of websites, BUT! i have not finished even one. I have this TV website with 3000 pages but i have not finished it.. *cry*

I'm ultra sensitive:

I did see a bird that fell of a tree and it's mother was in the tree making noices. It was badly hurt and could not walk or fly, i should have killed it so it would not suffer, but i could not do it. I wanted to cry after, it made me feel so bad and i tought about it for many days. I could have taken it home, but could not cause i have a dog.

In my normal day i'm just glued to the computer and sit here for the whole day, i just visit a store to buy food. I rarely go and see friends, cause i'm so poor i cannot buy anything. I cannot even buy a fking bus fair. Talk about isolation.... However i see my best friend everyday, since he visits me at home.

When my friends go out drinking, i do too sometimes. Tho it normally ends badly cause after 15 beers i start acting stupid and feel bad about it for the next week.

My life is total fking mess and sometimes i feel like im loosing it. Still i never do, i'm very rational and i was tested for ADHD when i was young, it was called with a different name then. I also scored exceptionally high IQ.

My house is always very dirty, cause i dont have the patience to clean up. I do it once every two weeks.

My best friend sees me as a genious, but a looser genious. He still belives me and my dreaming, witch is comforting. I don't know where i would be now without this friend, he is the best thing that happened in my life.

About the aquarious child theory, who knows. I would love to think im special someway, i do view the world in a very different way others do, and i always love to get more information on things.

I watch so many documents & videos during a day that its mind bogling. In these days when i go to veoh or video.google.com there is rarely any document i would have not seen. It's hard to find documents cause i have seen so many.

I do wonder alot what life is all about, why we are here and things like that. It's the biggest thing in my life currently, i love documents about space and such. I don't belive in any religions, but i know there is something else to life, something spiritual. Just cant put my finger on it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LAUGHING-CAT
My son is certainly like me in this area. I am 49 and if you want me to concentrate on somethng for more that a few min.. Oooh, something shiny.
bbl.

Kinda kidding there, but that's how it works. Good thing is I can concentrate on multiple things at a time, just not one.

LOL - my whole family is like that. I really wish I could turn my brain off sometimes.

We are definitely the lightning fast multi-taskers. But - single focus? Forget it!

But - only my one daughter required physical contact to focus. She has trouble getting information into her brain - - but once its there its solid. Her teacher said she would work for weeks with her - with no indication anything was getting through - - then she would spout out everything she learned all at once.

She functions perfectly normal today - - except she still has to work at getting the information into her brain.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Annee]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My sister Mary and her friend Jane have both ADHD. Mary told to Jane that she found a miraculous flower to treat her Hyper Mental Accelerated Mind. Her doctor, in California, prescripted her with this special flower. The problem is Jane. She can't find this flower in drugstores where she live. My sister is very calm now. I feel that this flower helps her to be deconditioned from social programming.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bugasman
My sister Mary and her friend Jane have both ADHD. Mary told to Jane that she found a miraculous flower to treat her Hyper Mental Accelerated Mind. Her doctor, in California, prescripted her with this special flower. The problem is Jane. She can't find this flower in drugstores where she live. My sister is very calm now. I feel that this flower helps her to be deconditioned from social programming.

Where California has legal vending machines.

Other states don't.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Beauty, I know what you mean, my son absolutely struggled through school, for me it was a cakewalk, but I couldn't wait for it to end.
I've been tested as high as 165 IQ, but I do nothing with it, as nothing holds my interest for more than a few miutes, hours or if I really am enthralled, 36 hours. my son, has CRS syndrome, (can't remember squat), but ask him what he read and he will have you thinking he memorized the book.
And if you give either of us a "hands on" project, he will finish what I got bored with.
Strange how it all works.
Like with ATS, I gotta keep going to my profile to see where I posted so I may respond, why can't I remember this stuff like the rest of people do?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadio
Oh boy,

I don't know where to start all you guys are JUST LIKE ME!
I just had to post in this one. I would love to share some of my experiences with you. I'm 30 years old, unemployed (by choice), very creative, curious and currently very depressed cause i don't have ANY self esteem. I look at my self as a looser that cannot achive anything and only "DREAMS" everyday about alot of things.

I'm like in this constant dream state, i think superfast and sometimes it drives me crazy. I feel like a computer on a overdrive running out of memory. I also feel tired most of the time. I have tought about taking meds, but im scared of all drugs, i dont like anything that effects my mind. I feel like it could change my personality and i would not like it. I think i have no other choice than to go for meds, if im not out of my isolation state by next fall. Since i need to get into work and out of my depression. I would love to be normal person in a society, but i have now realised its impossible goal to achive. However i will get to work, i would do it tomorrow but i cannot cause i have no work history past 4 years.

My biggest problem is that i cannot complete ANYTHING! I start many things but nothing gets done, i always get to half way, but then i get even better idea and start doing that, and repeating this time after time or the current task gets boring and i give up and start to dream about another project.

Here is an example:

I decided to do a website like ATS:

I got to here:

img193.imageshack.us...

It's completely working website, but hence i would have had to post with my self to get any content i gave up. I gave up cause it was not interesting to post with my self.

I have created crap loads of websites, BUT! i have not finished even one. I have this TV website with 3000 pages but i have not finished it.. *cry*

I'm ultra sensitive:

I did see a bird that fell of a tree and it's mother was in the tree making noices. It was badly hurt and could not walk or fly, i should have killed it so it would not suffer, but i could not do it. I wanted to cry after, it made me feel so bad and i tought about it for many days. I could have taken it home, but could not cause i have a dog.

In my normal day i'm just glued to the computer and sit here for the whole day, i just visit a store to buy food. I rarely go and see friends, cause i'm so poor i cannot buy anything. I cannot even buy a fking bus fair. Talk about isolation.... However i see my best friend everyday, since he visits me at home.

When my friends go out drinking, i do too sometimes. Tho it normally ends badly cause after 15 beers i start acting stupid and feel bad about it for the next week.

My life is total fking mess and sometimes i feel like im loosing it. Still i never do, i'm very rational and i was tested for ADHD when i was young, it was called with a different name then. I also scored exceptionally high IQ.

My house is always very dirty, cause i dont have the patience to clean up. I do it once every two weeks.

My best friend sees me as a genious, but a looser genious. He still belives me and my dreaming, witch is comforting. I don't know where i would be now without this friend, he is the best thing that happened in my life.

About the aquarious child theory, who knows. I would love to think im special someway, i do view the world in a very different way others do, and i always love to get more information on things.

I watch so many documents & videos during a day that its mind bogling. In these days when i go to veoh or video.google.com there is rarely any document i would have not seen. It's hard to find documents cause i have seen so many.

I do wonder alot what life is all about, why we are here and things like that. It's the biggest thing in my life currently, i love documents about space and such. I don't belive in any religions, but i know there is something else to life, something spiritual. Just cant put my finger on it.
Man....SMH... I hear you loud and clear bro. I went threw those episodes my self, feeling like a total looser and such, but you just have to think- what is it that you want out of life and how can you get their. write it a countdown check list on a piece a paper or board where u can see it all day and check them as you accomplish them. You would see everything starting to change. Trust me.

I'm also ultra sensitive too.lol... When I watch movies and shows I feel real bad for the situations that certain people find them selves in. Like a father finding his son for the 1st time in 30yrs and they hug and get emotional I'll tear up a little.lol.. Its like I put my self in other peoples shoes and feeel the emotions for a second.

I do keep my house clean because thats what makes me feel that i haven't completely feel into a deep whole. So clean your house it would bring positive energy to you and make you want to do more stuff.

I too feel like I saw every Doc on youtube and Google Video. Especially when I get interested in a new subject I wont sleep at all watching Documentaries. So thats normal for an ADHD'er. I'm so faciniated by the solar system also, especially how they look under the radio or gama ray scopes and all that stuff. It puts me in a trance!.

But that website of yours actually looks kool man, keep up the work if you have skill for that keep it going. Maybe we can do some business some time?... For real.

About a Job? Just tell them you were self employed for those 4 years? You were a Barber or something. Thats it, it'll work I know folks who got away with it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Those with ADHD are suffering the effects of neuro toxins in the food.
This condition seems to have come about when the started adding synthetic MSG to the food.
Both my boys had it to some degree. ONe was worse than the other.
I gave him a combination of B vitamins and it did calm him down.
Unfortunately I have lost that formula.

Many of the newest "mental" conditions are due to food allergies.
Between the neurotoxins, like MSG and Aspartame and the new GM foods there has been a 400% increase in hospitalization from food allergies.
Now consider that those that are so bad that they must go to the hospital are in the minority. That leaves a very large number of children having reactions to food that range from mild lethargy on up to the more serious froms. How many of our neweset "bi-polar" children are really just suffering from food allergies?

Something for all you parents to think seriouly about.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have ADD.
My brain goes through 1000 different thoughts a minute.
Its is so annoying.
I hate taking my medicine.
It makes life suck .
Without it is impossible for me to concentrate.
My brain goes so fast I cannot write things down because my thoughts are going ten times faster than my hands will ever go.
both of my parents have ADD.All of my sisters have it.
I do not think this has anything to do with evolving.
It is just something no one can really explain.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Slapstick]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Damn,

first i felt scared to read all these post, but now i know there are so many like me. I think i will clean my house today, and call doctor for appointment. I really do fear these drugs, bit paranoid about them. I really want to fix my life, at this point im in the end of the road. I KNOW i need to do something about my self, so that is a good thing. I never felt this strongly about fixing my life, so i think this will be the start of it.

I do have allergies, and i have lately been interested in forex markets. Someone posted about markets in here and i have been doing this demo for forex that really interests me, i dont know why but it somehow draws me into it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Quite interesting we have so many ADDers and people who think they hav ADD on ATS.

ADDers are supposed to be creative and think outside the box, maybe that's why so many are around this site.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join