It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Not everyone knows where they stand. Some people are waiting for these debates to see how the 2 stack up to each other. Just because you know who you're voting for doesn't mean everyone does.

These debates are an important part of the whole process to some people. Clearly not you.

Well then maybe they should open their eyes, since they obviously have had them closed for the past year. These people have been running for presidency for well over a year.

And it is not like there is some sort of informational blackout where the debates are the only way to find out about candidate. Go to a library, hop on a computer, and research away. Its free, anyone can do it.

Stop making excuses for people to pitiful and lazy to go find out about people running for office during such a critical time for this country. If they still don't know anything about either candidate by now, they probably aren't voting anyway.

The debates matter little to none. For some people, seeing the debates for what they are, a show, is pretty easy. Apparently some people like to get caught up in the heat of argument. It doesn't prove anything though.

Want to know about your candidate, go read there proposed policies if elected, and how they have voted in the past. Not some stupid staged debate.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They are going to have this bailout done by the opening of the markets Monday....by hook or by crook (pun intended).

Everyone and their brother is screaming that this has to be done to avoid an "economic Pearl Harbor" and running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The main points of contention by both parties is the lack of Congressional oversight for the $700 billion bailout (no one up there wants to give full power of this money to one man....(in other words, they don't want to give up their power), the Dems (mainly) want mortgage "bailouts" for homeowners, and both parties want to prohibit "bailouts" for the CEOs of the institutes/companies that will be saved. On these three points, McCain and Obama agree.

McCain is talking about suspending his campaign for a few days....not for good. He wants to go up there and help, whether it does any good or not. Whether this move will help McCain or backfire....who knows?

Obama doesn't seem to want to do what McCain is doing. He says he's available if needed in DC, but for now he will continue on with business as usuaul with campaigning. Whether this move will help Obama or backfire....who knows?

McCain's move will play well in certain circles, and he will be criticized in others. Same holds true for Obama.

Whatever these two do from now until the election is all political posturing, anyway. They are talking about rescheduling the debate for next Thursday. I doubt these two will change their tunes in a week.....they have it memorized by now.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Patriot act was written during the Clinton years after OKC bombing. It was under a different name. No doubt they added words to it but basically same one Clinton wanted passed.

The bailout bill isn't written. It is just a proposal by the executive office. Congress writes the bills. If you have the bill post the source to prove it is a fact.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I've just heard on the news (here in Aus) that the people overseeing the debates want them to go ahead - so it looks like it'll be take it or leave it for McCain.

I think they're important - not everyone keeps up with every nook and cranny of politics, and it helps to cut through the gruff.

Sure this bailout thing is big, but it's not like the US is in a country-wide blackout that people can't watch TVs.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

How about we just have Palin debate Obama on Friday instead?

That is gonna get the ratings and Palin ripping into Obama will bring the laughs.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
The debates are as American as apple pie! They are a fundamental part of the democratic process, and one of the candidates just cut and ran from it.

Why doesn't he display his faith in his VP candidate and have Palin sit in for him? She's apparently up for the job isn't she?

No, they aren't a fundamental part of the democratic process. They are a fundamental part in the entertainment you derive from the events leading up to the democratic process. The democratic process has nothing to do with a television debate, or a new paper ad, or a campaign.

It has to do with Candidates running for office, making their policies and intent avalible to the public (which it is), and the voting itself come november.

TV and spotlights have nothing to do with it. Thats just a show, staged question and pretty make up. Thats it. You call it democracy, I call it a sad excuse for entertainment, which is the only thing left driving the american people it seems.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh boy!!!!!

Let me tell all of you, BH is correct! This is nothing less than the grab for power by the Bush administration, John McCain is in on it, so is Obama!!!

DG- Did anyone ever tell you that you are adorable when paranoid?

I think we need to step back from this NWO fear and start thinking more rationally. This is a mess and it is a mess driven by greed and incompetence. It is not part of some global plot.

I think you need a hug DG. I'm only a state away

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just because I'm feeling snipish today, I'd like to ask a question to everyone here who believes the debate is such a vital part of the democratic process that the cancelation of one apparently signals a complete colapse of democracy. If you really believe the debate is so important, then does that also mean you cannot cast a vote outside the "big two" since no independant/3rd party candidate is participating in the debates?

link   
reply to post by mattguy404

It's Friday night football in Texas and that is big. Most people wouldn't tend in to them anyway. They would only capture the media spin the next day. Foreign policy. Let's see we will talk about Russia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Pakistan, Terrorism. Too predictable and all rehearsed.

link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Stop making excuses for people to pitiful and lazy to go find out about people running for office during such a critical time for this country. If they still don't know anything about either candidate by now, they probably aren't voting anyway.

It still amazes me that people have not made up their minds by now. And when I see how the polls are affected by these undecideds at the drop of a dime depending on the climate of the moment, it scares me.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Sure this bailout thing is big, but it's not like the US is in a country-wide blackout that people can't watch TVs.

If the credit freeze lasts any longer, the economic deflation will probably prevent many Americans form paying for the electric bills to watch TV.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Nobody has brought it up, but why not dispatch the Vice Presidential nominees to step in and have the debate? Isn't that what happens when the President is unable to do the job; the VP's then step in?

Let's have Palin debate Biden on foreign policy and the economy, while the other two are up in Washington doing their jobs?

Now, that's a swell idea. Why not? They are both parts of respective tickets, and both should be prepared to lead, whatever this means.

I agree -- I want to see Palin vs Biden.

link   
Well then I just effing give up. I have done my part and called my senator and I do not support this bailout. The effing talking heads want it to pass. Eff it, I'm done, I cannot talk with some of you on ATS because all you do is spew fox talking points. Eff it! I'm out people. May you all fair well with this bailout.

link   
reply to post by jam321

You left that Clinton was a major part in what is going on today.

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.
NY TIMES 1999

That McCain was a cosponser of a bill in 2005 that would have prevented the Fannie and Freddie mess.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

Source

But of course it is easier to just go ahead and blame Bush and the Republicans. Oh did I fail to mention that Obama was the second leading politician to recieve contributions from these two compaines.
Freddie and Fannie Campain Contributions

[edit on 24-9-2008 by tide88]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

if you dont think debates are apart of the democratic process, then I guess theres no sense in debating with you. Presidential debates have gone on since the time of Abe Lincoln. The first televised on was John F Kennedy v Nixon. Just cause we have access to watch them without being there in person does not make me less than you...

you might assume, and wrong, that I or others watch them for entertainment. If I want that, I'll watch SNL or Pro Wrestling. If I want to see one on one wit vs wit to help determine the next leader of our country. I'll watch a debate.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

So it might in fact be good to get this one in!

I've only just realized it's going to be foreign policy - which probably isn't on everyone's radar right now.

Although, I'd like to know whether or not Obama wants to go in with guns blazing into Pakistan...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
, just

This is probably the smartest thing his campaign has done to date to manipulate the masses for a vote. And it just might work to his benefit. Not for me, however, I don't buy it. More politicking.

Scary to think the election could really be postponed.

What's next? Bring it...

NO I would say DON'T BUY it...

THE last two things he did out of kindness

PALIN - an non political pick

REFORM - a non political move

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Now, that's a swell idea. Why not? They are both parts of respective tickets, and both should be prepared to lead, whatever this means.

I agree -- I want to see Palin vs Biden.

Biden should head off to Washington as well. He is a heavyweight in the Senate and he, as well as McCain, can get this legislation moving.

Obama is a freshman that hasn't showed up much anyways. All he is worth is the yes or no.

Palin isn't in the Senate at all.

I say Palin vs Obama would be the best. At least the guys that need to work will be working.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
Here's the problem... this mess has been cultivating for the last 5 or 6 years. To finally, now we have a boiling point. We are supposed to believe McCain going to Washington for a couple days will somehow SOLVE this problem????? Get real folks....

I agree its been a long time coming. Will it solve this problem? Unlikely, and in my personal opinion, not a chance in hell. Will he be doing what we pay him for, FINALLY? Yes, and I am all for that.

The United States Gov is like the frog in hot water, it has been sitting there not knowing it needs to jump out as the temp has slowly risen. While us, the people, have see nthe writing on the wall for a long time. We hopped out a while ago, we just now have to keep paying for the big boys...

No, we the people haven't. If we did, people wouldn't have flipped their lids when this economic crisis slapped them out of "nowhere". They also wouldn't be surprised by this 700 billion dollar bill.

We were too busy watching american idol to see any writing on the wall, or better yet, a simple economics book.

This move is clearly politics as usual. And Obama's response was just as political as McCains attempt to win over some votes. Obama claiming he contacted McCain first, yadda yadda.... All the same from both politicians. Im ashamed of both of them for different reasons right now. John McCain, a man who has said on many occasions that he is not real sound on the economy, yet hes smart enough to know that the fundamentals are in tact, wants to suspend the campaign..... to fix the economy?

Yes, they both make me sick, and they both are being political about this. Truth is though, McCains political move actually works for us because hes doing what we voted him into senate to do. Political or not, it is what we pay him to do. I may not like the job he does, but people voted him in to do this job, and now, for whatever reasons, hes going to do it, FINALLY.

How bout tell me your plans in the debate?

How about this, you go look up both candidates websites, their voting records, and come to your own decision. Don't let staged questions, flashy camera angles, and theatrics dictate your decisions on policies.

You know why they love television debates, because people suck at listening in comparison to reading. Commucations 101 finally pays off. People SUCK at listening. Much better at reading. Much less likely to fall for manipulation. Thats why they love "debates". Gives them to chance to talk you out of a smarter choice you may have already made, because they know people are much worse listeners than readers.

Tell the American people you wont stand for a corporate 700 billion dollar bailout. Tell the people that its not just corporations that will be helped. Give us a plan on how your tax cuts , with a trillion dollar deficit will somehow revamp our failing economy. Thats what I want to see done. Not some political gesture that will get nothing accomplished, and only delay this campaign.....

They already did that, you must not have seeked that information out. All these policies that they have are already announced, and explained. The debates are just theatrics repeating what they already said in a more convincing manner.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
John McCain is running away. Like Obama says.. The President of the United States needs to be able to do more then one thing at a time. This is another example of John McCain making haste decisions.

He just lost my vote for good!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join