It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It's Friday night football in Texas and that is big. Most people wouldn't tend in to them anyway.

Well that explains how George Bush got elected as Gov of Texas.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
reply to post by wutone

and then what did the Republicans with their majority in all branches do then about it then? Did the dem's not support it because perhaps it was similar to this bailout situation whereby they write it all up and ignore all other possibilities and then try to railroad it through? Maybe we ought to dig deeper and see why exactly the democratic minority in congress weren't in support of it? Anyone?

Let's dig

Here is a good read.

How the Democrats Created the Financial Crisis: Kevin Hassett

Some might say the current mess couldn't be foreseen, yet in 2005 Alan Greenspan told Congress how urgent it was for it to act in the clearest possible terms: If Fannie and Freddie ``continue to grow, continue to have the low capital that they have, continue to engage in the dynamic hedging of their portfolios, which they need to do for interest rate risk aversion, they potentially create ever-growing potential systemic risk down the road,'' he said. ``We are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk.''

What happened next was extraordinary. For the first time in history, a serious Fannie and Freddie reform bill was passed by the Senate Banking Committee. The bill gave a regulator power to crack down, and would have required the companies to eliminate their investments in risky assets.

But the bill didn't become law, for a simple reason: Democrats opposed it on a party-line vote in the committee, signaling that this would be a partisan issue. Republicans, tied in knots by the tight Democratic opposition, couldn't even get the Senate to vote on the matter.

Oh, and there is one little footnote to the story that's worth keeping in mind while Democrats point fingers between now and Nov. 4: Senator John McCain was one of the three cosponsors of S.190, the bill that would have averted this mess.

Was S. 190 [109th] Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 a big bailout? Or was it a reform bill to prevent the big bailout of today?

Not everything can be Bush's fault nor can they be the fault of some republican.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
ps grim, love the avatr. im watching tombstone right now.

A debate prob wont change my mind. Im voting for obama baring some sort of setback or revelation. But I see a lot of intellect come out i na debate. How a person can think on their feet. Use logic. and negotiate the point they are trying to make in a short amount of time. Maybe it doesnt transfer over nicely to real world politics. but I see many clues in a debate that tell me how they will urn the country.

I will be perfectly honest, I see a politician as an actor. The debate is his stage. The actors job is to convince you of things that either aren't true or are not suppose to be revealed.

If you honestly think that they don't become actors when they step up to that podium, I don't know what to tell you. What I can tell you is this, a candidate never reveals some new policy on a live debate. Whatever they say up there has already been made public.

Anything obama or mccain say at that debate are things you haven't already heard/read. No new policy will be revealed at that debate, because that isn't the function of a deabte. The function of a debate is for show. To see who can "look" and sound better, rather than BE better.

If you are voting for obama because his policies, fine. I'm not an Obama supporter, nor a McCain supporter. I already know that neither of these candidates have sound policies that will better our country and its economy.

What I do know is that two senators being paid to be senators, should be doing their job. Regardless of what they have been doing is irrelevent in the now. What they need to do NOW is whatever they can do help brainstorm for answers to this crisis we face.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ehm...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Active US Army Deployment within the US since Civil War on October 1.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Anybody know about this act. Community Reinvestment Act of 1977,

The thousands of mortgage defaults and foreclosures in the "subprime" housing market (i.e., mortgage holders with poor credit ratings) is the direct result of thirty years of government policy that has forced banks to make bad loans to un-creditworthy borrowers.

source

This along with improper oversight has brought us to this point.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

appreciate it.. very interesting.. will look it over more after work..

I've read about this before but at that time they could only help in disasters..Will look up more info.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Well now after the countless posts making the point that he should be in Washington "doing his job"...it's interesting to find out that he hasn't voted on anything since April. In fact he wasn't there to vote on the G.I. Bill. But now suddenly he is the man because he cares so much about working for the American people? Even Ried said not so much that he wasn't needed right now up there, what will all but a half a dozen or less folks in all of congress in support of the bailout Bush supports.

So what, imo, better late than never. I'm not a McCain supporter. I don't believe in many things he does. That doesn't mean that I advocate him leaving his office in a time of crisis. I don't care about what mistakes these men made in the past right now. We face a crisis. These presidential hopefuls may have to deal with THIS situation when they come into office. I damn well want them to be in washington getting REAL familiar with it.

Last thing I want is one of them getting elected and going "Alright, whats going on? I was too busy trying to get elected to get educated on the current situation."

This crisis is happening now, and it will be happening in the next presidents term of office. They made the mistake of not taking it serious in the past, and now it is serious. Whatever they don't know or understand about the situation, they better be finding out.

If McCain and Obama are in Washington, discussing the situation with other reps and senators, well that means they will be that much more informed when one of them takes office.

McCain doesn't understand economics well? Well then this is a good opportunity to throw himself in the mix and learn. It would do us all some good that a presidential candidate learn something about this crisis they don't know. From what I see, neither one of them have a good grip on whats going on, and the root cause to the problem. To me, thats all the more reason to send them to washington and get them in the mix.

Finally if it's so important, and just last week McCain said the economy was sound, why has George Bush flown away from Washington D.C. and with his now 19% approval ratings down at the ranch in Crawford Texas? What a strategy huh? He plans to try and appeal to this 19%...or or or the 9% who thinks the economy is sound like McCain said last week.

Give me a break!

McCain said the economy was sound. More reason he should be in washington dedicating all his time to learning about this crisis. If McCain is being honest (doubtful) then at least he can admit his lack of knowledge and his determination to gain some before he is faced with it, should he become president.

We don't need him there, but he sure as hell needs to be there. Obama should be too. We don't need them there, they need to be there, for the sake of their policies and understanding.

You want them to debate about things they have already declared their stance. I prefer they learn about a crisis that matters and endangers this country.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Gee I wonder what political party in our government would force banks to make loans to people who have bad credit?

Since McCain is going back to Washington, I hope he calls for a congressional investigation into exactly who is responsible for today's financial mess.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I knew i would dread this day. I knew that the finger of blame would be pointed at Bill Clinton.

Nope, its too late for that, this administration has had a "new" agenda that perhaps Bill Clinton helped set up, but this is BUSH'S AND CHENEY'S baby right here. 8 years worth of lets make tons of money and then screw.

This is all this is.

I suppose its also a coincidence that the AMERICAN TROOPS will be here patrolling our streets next week???

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In all honesty, i don't think McCain nor Obama deserves the U.S presidency. It sounds like McCain jumped this bus to win some votes, and IF Obama did contact him he should have known cannot trust anyone, weak move from Obama. He should know he must act first, as McCain did by going behind his back.

The toughest will survive in these races, McCain took this round, who gives a one bit about Obama saying "I did contact McCain at 8:30am" ..And the weakest link today..

I have a question that has been on my mind for weeks now.

Are there any American citizens here that feel that both candidates are a lost case for the U.S?

I am positive they will both be better than Bush but fall short of Ron Paul, IMO.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by qonone
In all honesty, i don't think McCain nor Obama deserves the U.S presidency. It sounds like McCain jumped this bus to win some votes,

He jumped the bus to avoid the debate. Some hero. McCain needs to realize that if you have to work so hard and employ stunts like this to look like a leader, then you really are not one at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I knew i would dread this day. I knew that the finger of blame would be pointed at Bill Clinton.

Nope, its too late for that, this administration has had a "new" agenda that perhaps Bill Clinton helped set up, but this is BUSH'S AND CHENEY'S baby right here. 8 years worth of lets make tons of money and then screw.

This is all this is.

I suppose its also a coincidence that the AMERICAN TROOPS will be here patrolling our streets next week???

Why not?
Clinton is to blame for everything.
He did not tell the US people Osama officially declared war on the US
He authored the patriot act
He sat on his hands in the no fly zone in Iraq while Europe made off with all the oil for food program money.
He did nothing when we were attacked multiple times. The Cole in any other historic time would have been a declaration of war.
He set up Fannie Mae and Freddy Mack to give out all these high risk mortgages.
His economic booms were all bubbles that were phoney, the tech bubble then the mortgage fraud which continued till recently.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

the legislation that started this whole mess was signed by Clinton Bush inherited it from Clinton Just like Reagan inherited the S&L crisis from Carter.

Notice a trend here?

Obama is still running his Campaign After McCain said he was pulling all ads and fund raising.

Obama says he will only return to washington If he is needed.

Obama's Camp is slinging mud at McCain saying he is playing politics.

Obams still want fridays debate when McCain has said they will still have all three debates before the election. just now is not the time and i agree its not the time. what good is having a debate when their won't be a U.S. left?

Seems like McCain is putting the country first and Obama is playing the political spin Game and only cares about getting elected.

This is not the time for partisan crap. Obama and McCain Both should sit down and work something out to help the American people. McCain has called for it today and Obama is Well just being Obama.

I'm still not going to vote for either of these guys But it is time to leave the political affiliations behind and get something done that will stop this fascist take over of our country!

edit to add and spelling

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

I don't doubt that. McCain killed two birds with one stone, skip the debate and to look good for U.S citizens by putting their concerns "first" But the debtes must still go down before election, so if true he's buying time.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by qonone]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

sources please folks: Next you'll tell us Carter and Clinton promoted trickle down theory!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

THANK GOD!!!! McCain is coming to save the day!

Because the Executive Branch, Legislature, Federal Reserve and Treasury just don't know how to operate with out the Two Stooges Obama and McCane!

Least we are all saved! YES!

Paulson and Bernake most likely look down on these two with pathetic disdain and perhaps a twinkle of humor in their eyes. Poor puppets.

link   
Point is, they should either A. if they are experts on the situation, be in washington trying to draw up some bill that would better suit our needs, further help the economy then the current one that probably wont be passed or B. Learn about the crisis at hand so they can better understand it for when one of them does come into office/vote on a bill. It would help their grasp of the situation if they took time off the campaign trail to fully understand it in whatever way possible.

Either way, they should be in washington handling/helping/learning about this situation whatever way they can, because they are presidential hopefuls and this problem is going away tomorrow.

A debate will be long forgotten in the books of history, but the actions political figures take today, will determine our fate tomorrow.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by grimreaper797]

link   
My question is can't the man multi task? For example if your in an interview for a job and you decide to suspend your interview so you can tend to the job? I mean he hasn't even gotten the job yet and he is acting like he will handle it hands on.. If anything, why not hold the debate in D.C. and take care of both objectives.. or how about sending Palin in his place for him at the debate? I mean she has to step in for him anyway if something were to happen to him.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Spinflow]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinflow
My question is can't the man multi task? For example if your in an interview for a job and you decide you to suspend your interview so can tend to the job? I mean he hasn't even gotten the job yet and he is acting like he will handle it hands on.. If anything, why not hold the debate in D.C. and take care of both objectives.. or how about send Palin in place for him at the debate? I mean she has to step in for him anyway if something were to happen to him.

Would you A. take the interview with no knowledge on the subject and risk making a fool of yourself, making certain you can't get the job or B. Postpone the interview for a week or two to get a better understanding about the job you will need to do, should you get the job.

There is NOTHING to lose by them going to washington and involving themselves in the situation. Hell, they might learn a thing or two about economics, and lord knows they both could use that.

A debate is simply NOT important.

I do agree though, I want to see palin debate. Would be nice to expose her for the tool she is.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
McCain equals McPloy.

He is playing heart-strings, which conservatives love. Truth is, he can't stand with Obama and face the pressure of any type of debate over economic issues.

(And for all you Hannity-types that want to call me a liberal/Obama appeaser, I prefer Kucinich or Ron Paul over anyone. The truth is, McCain is an old dog that cannot learn new tricks, he is in the dark in this whole mess. Taking time off from the campaign is a laugher.)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join