It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

the legislation that started this whole mess was signed by Clinton Bush inherited it from Clinton Just like Reagan inherited the S&L crisis from Carter.

Notice a trend here?

The Republicans ran the Executive Branch of the govt for the last 8 years and the Legislative Branch for 6 of the last 8 years. You are correct. That IS a trend!

Obama is still running his Campaign After McCain said he was pulling all ads and fund raising.

Could you explain how running campaign ads would have a detrimental effect on solving the financial crisis? Yeah, no grandstanding there.

Obams still want fridays debate

The people have a right to hear directly from the candidates how they plan on dealing with this situation now and in the future. I am certain Obama's campaign would agree to a topic chance and spend the entire debate discussing the economy.

John McCain proclaimed the economy's fundamentals to be solid just a week ago. Gee, I wonder why he is running and hiding?

Seems like McCain is putting the country first and Obama is playing the political spin Game and only cares about getting elected.

To you maybe but I honestly believe most Americans are going to see this for what it is; a desperate political stunt on the part of a candidate who seems to be coming apart at the seams before our very eyes.

This is not the time for partisan crap.

We agree on this.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinflow
My question is can't the man multi task? For example if your in an interview for a job and you decide you to suspend your interview so can tend to the job? I mean he hasn't even gotten the job yet and he is acting like he will handle it hands on.. If anything, why not hold the debate in D.C. and take care of both objectives.. or how about send Palin in place for him at the debate? I mean she has to step in for him anyway if something were to happen to him.

I'd love to see Palin smack Obama around but McCain has too much class for that.
Obama is going to look very Junior as the debate date passes by.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

I agree being in DC is definitely appropriate.. I just think McCain needs to show a little more multi tasking skills. He seems to show a little too much of the "drop everything and jump on this" profile. Problem is when you have numerous fires to put out, you can't simply drop everything.

link   

I'd love to see Palin smack Obama

This is beyond laughable. McCain's campaign tried to bar the media from witnessing her meetings with the world leaders at the UN because they are so sure she is going to say or do something to remind everyone that she is two years removed from being a small town mayor in Alaska.

You think they'd let her debate? Hilarious.

link   
reply to post by SectionEight

isn't that what happens when a President is unable to take the duties of office that the Vice President then takes over? McCain has a chance to look very Presidential by having Palin sit in for him.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Funny I am not sure who would smack who, but I think multi tasking is key to any important position. Note I am not stating that Obama would be a multi tasker, just stating that I wish McCain would show more of a multi tasker mentality.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
reply to post by Mercenary2007

sources please folks: Next you'll tell us Carter and Clinton promoted trickle down theory!

No but a Carter and Clinton official, Franklin Raines, ran Fannie Mae into the train wreck we have today.

Carter, Clinton-Era Budget Official Ran Institution at Center of Financial Crisis

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

I'd love to see Palin smack Obama

This is beyond laughable. McCain's campaign tried to bar the media from witnessing her meetings with the world leaders at the UN because they are so sure she is going to say or do something to remind everyone that she is two years removed from being a small town mayor in Alaska.

You think they'd let her debate? Hilarious.

Are you kidding? Biden is magnitudes more knowledgable and has vastly more experience than Obama and she will be debating him. Obama is nothing but a do nothing first time Senator who never administrated over anything. His only strength is looking pretty boy onstage as he flashes his profile back and forth as he reads the teleprompter. Palin looks good doing that too but her down to earth adlibs and administrative experience would blow Obama away.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinflow

Funny I am not sure who would smack who, but I think multi tasking is key to any important position. Note I am not stating that Obama would be a multi tasker, just stating that I wish McCain would show more of a multi tasker mentality.

He is.
On one hand he is taking initiative and putting country first.
At the same time he is making his opponant look like the junior Senator that he is. Now that is some serious multitasking.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Palin looks good doing that too but her down to earth adlibs and administrative experience would blow Obama away.

Then please explain why the McCain campaign will not let her answer questions from the press and why they attempted to bar the media from attending her "speed dating," sessions with the world leaders?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

1. Dodd, Christopher J S D-CT $133,900
2. Kerry, John S D-MA $111,000
3. Obama, Barack S D-IL $105,849

Umm yea

And who does McCain use to get advice?

Loan Titans Paid McCain Adviser Nearly $2 Million

McCain's Fannie and Freddie Connections

McCain Aide’s Firm Paid By Freddie Mac Until Last Month

McCain Wants Freddie Mac Lobbyist On Transition Team

And lest we not forget who McCain's top economic adviser was!

Phil Gramm, McCain Co-Chair, Lobbied US On Mortgage Crisis While Advising Candidate On Economic Policy

McCain guru linked to subprime crisis

But, the truth of the matter is, both Obama AND McCain are linked to Fannie May!

Though it seems like McCain may be a LITTLE more so!

Obama and McCain both have ties to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

A former member of Barack Obama’s VP search team, James A. Johnson, served as chairman of Fannie Mae. Although the Obama campaign doesn’t take contributions from lobbyists, it has received significant donations from both companies’ employees and PACs.

John McCain’s connections to the two mortgage companies are more numerous. His campaign manager, Rick Davis, headed the Homeownership Alliance, an advocacy group for the two lenders. His close adviser, Charlie Black, is a long-time lobbyist whose firm represented Freddie Mac.

Two of McCain’s bundlers, supporters who help raise large amounts of money for the campaign, have ties to Fannie Mae. Robert H. Holt is a lobbyist for the firm, and Wayne Berman is managing director of Ogilvy Government Relations, which also represents the company.

A third McCain bundler, Geffrey T. Boisi, is a director of Freddie Mac.

Both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have spent millions on lobbying; they each number among Washington’s top 20 lobbying spenders.

Here's a map of the connections from this article!

So they both have ties to these mortgage companies, one a little more than the other!

Um, Okay?

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is interesting.
I was just outside, and caught the neighbors as they were getting in their car to go out. They are ultra right-wing, of the evangelical kind (often blasting faux news at all hours of the night).

I asked them what they thought about the current situation, they replied basically saying two things:
"We can't believe McCain did this, it's all just a stunt" and
"He's lost our vote".

Seems even the "base" of the GOP is seeing what kind of shenanigans are going on here.

I wouldn't have believed the above conversation unless I heard it with my own two ears.

McCain just screwed up...BIGTIME

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Spinflow

Frankly I think he's showing us a lot. The emperor has no clothes...multi tasking might be a bit too much to ask for considering just a month ago or so he googled something for the first time. For the first time he uses the internet and we want him to run the country and he can't even do what most 12 year olds in America can do? huh?

Then when the going get's tough, he cuts and runs and goes to hide in his office. Bush goes to the ranch in Texas and is planning to promote this ridiculous crooked plan that bails out the wall street executives but does squat for the little people...The plan gives them the free rain to do what they please with that $700 billion bucks with absolutely no oversight--what got us here to begin with! All but just a handful of congress do not support this thing, and McCain cancels his campaign including Letterman, saying he needs to go to Washington to bring the parties together. Hello!!!! John, the parties are together!!!

This drips with Rove style plan to divert attention while the elites ram a crooked seven hundred billion dollar scam down our throats that we the people have to pay for. The executives should be in jail, but instead are to get their million dollar bonuses. The govn't. bailout does not stop sending out dividends to shareholders. People are loosing their houses, but do they care? Hell no they don't care, and neither does John McCain or he would be talking to the people at every chance he can get...but apparently he sides with the very ones everyone is apposed to, so what better thing to do than to stop his campaign telling everyone he needs to do his job working for the American people. Yet we see he hasn't voted on anything since April including missing the very important G.I. Bill! Some hard worker for us eh? In fairness Obama hasn't voted since July, but the point is already made because it's McCain doing this with 100% political motivation.

Put your clothes back on sir, and speak to the American people and tell us your plans for foreign policy and the economy. Quit with the side steps and smoke and mirrors, this is not the time for politics as usual!

*edit for spelling*

[edit on 24-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

:shk:

McCain proposes next week, moving the Palin/Biden debate to a later time.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Source for Carter and S&L

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Actsigned by Clinton in 1999

There ya go 2 sources one for each.... MAybe you should do some research on your own on why we are in this mess.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Palin is hitting the foreign policy cliff notes as hard as she can! Or coarse he wants to delay it a week, she is still cramming.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
How can McCain deny the American people (those who's mind is not made up yet) his views on important issues through this debate? That's not putting your "Country First".

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
What is currently Happening in the housing market is the same that happened durring the S&L crisis. and is what happens when they mice are allowed to regulate themselves and not have someone outside that is independent making sure they aren't doing a no no

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Thank you. I will look at them. I've never said the Dem's are a bunch of angels. In fact if you are familiar with my posts, I have railed on here about how Carter, Reagan, Clinton and both Bush's all together worked at giving the upper 1% (who control more than 40%of the wealth in this country) tax cuts of more than $22 trillion!!! (source: A People's History of the United States -- 1492 to Present by Dr. Howard Zinn).

Generally, wouldn't you agree, that it has been the platform of the Republicans, however, to run on the issue of "trickle down" and "deregulation" while the Democratic politicians generally run on "bottom up" policies and "regulation"? I think we can also agree they don't always do what they say they are going to do either.

That said, are you still trying to convince us that it's all Carter and Clinton's fault? Who in their right mind would ever buy that bunch of phony baloney!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Just mulling this over in my mind.

McCain is excellent in a debate setting but mediocre at giving speeches.

Obama gives awesome speeches but sucks at debates.

McCain has suspended his campaign to return to DC and use all his time working on the crisis solution and dropped out of the debate.

Obama will continue campaigning and not return to DC to Represent his constituents in the crisis solution and insists on having the debate now that he knows McCain won't be there.

I'd have expected the opposite as Obama really is not good at debates and McCain is. Obama's endless answers to simple questions just don't come across well in a debate setting where McCain excels with his instantaneous, concise answers. I honestly thought Obama would drop out of the debate for some reason.

Just more nonsense. I don't beleive either one of them. Just more political posturing. They are both playing a game. Either that or McCain is genuine and Obama is playing a game. Its one or the other.

I think Obama will hurt himself if he does not show up for all committees and votes related to this. He may be playing the wrong hand this time. His groupies won't change their minds over it, but it could cost him swing votes which McCain might capture by appearing to do his job as he should.

Being a swing voter myself, I'll wait and see who shows up for what votes and what committee meetings before passing judgment. I don't care if they continue to campaign or debate or not, as long as they don't miss meetings or votes on something this important.

I'm really close to writing "none of the above" on my ballot
Those ads lately from both camps really turn me off. But then those ads are aimed at immature voters who don't pay attention anyway I guess. It is time for the voter literacy test I think.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join