It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
COUNTRY ABOVE POLITICS !!!
Both candidates are U.S. Senators.This financial crisis will be decided in the U.S. SENATE. Currently, the brilliant plan is that after this 7 hundred billion dollar bail out ... Pelosi and Reed will be in charge of picking who will be in charge of ongoing oversight for continued spending. God help us! This is another example of how Senator John McCain puts country first. All Obama cares about is winning the election at any cost. Obama neglected his duties as U.S. Senator before running for President, and especially after he began running for President. This 'bail out - quick fix" will negatively affect Americans for decades. Many of the bloggers who are criticizing McCain for this decision wouldn't recognize responsibility, or integrity if it bit them on the ass. Keep America strong and safe ... Elect McCain/Palin in November.

link   
reply to post by loam

And now we see the real reason for postponing the debate... Question is, what if the bailout package isn't signed by next Thursday?

I agree, Loam. :shk:

The Arizona senator would like the vice presidential debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, which is currently scheduled to take place on Thursday, Oct. 2 in St. Louis, Missouri, to be scheduled for a later unspecified date.

ABC

link   

Originally posted by loam:shk:

McCain proposes next week, moving the Palin/Biden debate to a later time.

I may be showing my age here, but....how conveeeeeeeeeenient!

Here's a link for anyone who can't view the vid.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is brilliant. Obama refused to do town hall debates for no reason at all and the media was silent now McCain is postponing the debates for the business of the people. The Media that is in the bag for Obama cannot help themselves and are playing right into his hands by making an outcry over this. It will play well with the talking heads and do good for tv ratings for a little while but when the debate date passes, McCain will have the upper ground and Obama will have nothing. McCain will come out of this as a hero who works for the people.
Every attack ad by Obama during this can be responded by McCain by saying, I'm too busy doing the work of the people. Every Obama ad will make Obama look like a heel.
I think this was a line in a John Travolta movie once, "How do we campaign against someone who refuses to run?"

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
McCain is just stalling for time, the bill hasn't even reached the senate yet.

Business of the people? All he has to do is vote on it. If he's "for the people" he'll vote no, open and shut case.

Sorry folks, that's the facts.

[edit on 9-24-2008 by Loki]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i love the fact that john mccain called letterman to say he couldnt make his appearance tonight because he was flying back to washington to deal with the financial crisis.

ANd then letterman finds out that mccain actually ended up filming an interview with katie couric at that exact same time.

politics as usual from the straight talk express.

LIES>

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

It is clinton's and carters fault they are the ones that signed the bills into law. But Both congress that were in session when these bills were passed are equally at fault. It is also the same Bankers and Ceo'sthat ran their companies and banks into the ground that are also at fault for this as they were the ones that lobbied congress to deregulate them.

Yes i will agree with you that the republicans are just as guilty of giving the upper 1% tax cuts of more than $22 trillion!!!

Generally, wouldn't you agree, that it has been the platform of the Republicans, however, to run on the issue of "trickle down" and "deregulation" while the Democratic politicians generally run on "bottom up" policies and "regulation"? I think we can also agree they don't always do what they say they are going to do either.

Yes i would agree to this statment... But in this case Bush had pushed Congress to streghten the regualtions on big business and Banks to keep this from happening a while ago and congress failed to act on it..

I can't find the source but i'll keep looking. I did hear mention of it yesterday durring the Sen. banking hearing with the 4 stooges

Also why are 4 of the guys that caused this mess now in charge of fixing it? people should be asking the Bush this question.

Also look at the blog linked in my sig. it was written by a wall street insider that puts this economic crisis into light and also the events leading up to it.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

They are more than able to fly in to Washington and vote on the bill, or go to Washington for floor debate, or whatever they seem necessary to that end. It's the legislative process and it's important. Obviously, media attention will be concentrated on it now because it's so important. There's no silly reason to halt the campaigns while the bailout gets debated, bounced around committees, and different versions proposed to the Executive branch (and vice versa) while the clock ticks on the election.

The democratic process should not be halted "de facto", especially this close to the election, and especially for the debates, which is how the majority of the voting populous will form their opinions of the candidates.

This proposed bill is an excellent way for both candidates to get out to everyone what they believe. Their campaigns can work with Congress and the President to formulate what they believe so people can get a clear picture of how each candidate would approach the problem as President. The upcoming debate would be a perfect way for both candidates to tell us how they would deal with this crisis as President.

McCain's move (I believe) is an attempt to keep the race quiet on a position he isn't viewed strongly in - the economy. It's that simple. They each have enough people working for their campaigns, enough contacts in Washington to keep them up to date on the situation, and information technology is far advanced enough for them to keep current at any time on the situation.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Another thing worth mentioning is that Obama will likely cast his vote on the issue without having to cancel things to do so. I smell a dead fish here. Something isn't adding up. McCain has done nothing but prove to me he's little more than a sound byte guy. He rails against these type of bills and the spending they represent ALL THE TIME. The fact that he even has to consider allowing it to pass is a sure sign of poor judgment.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

So then if Carter signed the bill allowing for more loans to be taken out (this doesn't account for the whole problem btw) how come Reagan is in office for more than two years and not a single thing is done to reverse this? Also, for Bush and the past 8 years with 6 of them being under GOP control, wasn't more done to change things? They get told "no" and then just roll over and play dead? Come on, we both know better than this. Are you going to tell me they did all they could and it was the dem's fault?

Seriously now, there are always too sides to the coin and me thinks you are leaving out the other side. What was the dem's reasoning for not supporting the Bush plan? Because there really hasn't been much that Bush has done or proposed that has been well liked...we see this with his current 19% approval rating, and What’s Cheney's now?

Regardless it's kind of a side step on the topic of the thread which is why McCain is cutting and running from the debate and canceling his campaign.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

I dunno.

Originally posted by SectionEight
This is brilliant...when the debate date passes, McCain will have the upper ground and Obama will have nothing.

Out the gate, this looks pretty weak. I don't see it as doing the business of the people. In fact, it looks very artificial, and unfortunately, very junior and un-presidential.

A leader doesn't cancel commitments...race to Washington...and nebulously claim a commitment to work on the problem in the halls of Congress.

A true leader announces a solution, or in the absence of one, announces the path to arriving at one.

By playing Senator, he actually highlights why he's not ready to be President.

Bad, bad move, imo.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think it's the first move towards suspending the election in November.

Exactly what occurred to me when I first heard this. It puts in peoples minds the idea that the election is secondary to the economic crisis. Then there's the lawsuits against Obama challenging his qualification to be president on the basis of his place of birth to consider. What if Obama wins the election, but is found ineligible by the courts before the inauguration? Does Bush pull a Putin?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oddly enough I have suspended my vote for him too!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is utter BS by McCain and here is the reason why:

1. He has one of the worst attendance records in senate. The guy didn't even show up to vote for the stimulus package and now this is a huge issue for him to attend.

2. He holds no position with the economic commitees and has admited that he doesn't know much about the economy. But somehow his presence is going to do something?

3. Last week he said that the economy is fine and now he needs to intervene because it is all of a sudden a huge issue?

This is a complete joke. McCain is doing this just for political gain and as an American I am thoroughly embarassed.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
McCain's campaign has more turns than Lombard Street in San Francisco. Is this a way to calm people's nerves? I think NOT.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by newguyhere2]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

McCain was for the Surge when it was unpopular. He came out smelling like a rose.
Obama flat out refused to do town halls with McCain. McCain came out smelling like a rose.
McCain postponed the convention when there was the hurricane, he was accused of politicizing, he came out smelling like a rose.
McCain picked an unknown woman as VP and was attacked. He came out smelling like a rose.
McCain now postpones the campaign till this legislation is passed. What do you suppose he will be smelling like?

McCain continually defies the angry left logic that the media pumps into the daily airwaves.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

McCain continually defies the angry left logic that the media pumps into the daily airwaves.

I hardly think I can be accused of employing 'angry left logic'.

Looking un-presidential was not an issue in any of the former examples you mention. On this one, it does.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
maybe you do belong in section 8 for these rediculous comments. If he's smelling like roses, why is McCain down 10 points in the polls. It's because the guy smells like "sh..."

reply to post by loam

McCain was for the Surge when it was unpopular. He came out smelling like a rose.
Obama flat out refused to do town halls with McCain. McCain came out smelling like a rose.
McCain postponed the convention when there was the hurricane, he was accused of politicizing, he came out smelling like a rose.
McCain picked an unknown woman as VP and was attacked. He came out smelling like a rose.
McCain now postpones the campaign till this legislation is passed. What do you suppose he will be smelling like?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Got late to the party but here are my .02

I think this move by McCain could very well be the final nail in the coffin for his campaing or could put him back on track in the polls.

-If he goes to Congress and has no significant impact it would look like a political stunt and he would go further down in the polls.

-If he goes to Congress and the environment gets very political, he would be blamed and his would be done.

-If a deal is reach and he or his pals try to give him some credit it would look like he was trying to benefit politically froma crisis he would go further down.

On the other hand:

-If he goes to Congress and produce solid results and gets praised for his leadership from both sides then makes it to the debate and mops the floor with Sen. Obama, he would be in the lead coming next week polls.

What has more chances of happening? I think the first three, just because the Democratic Congress would do nothing that would look like to favor McCain in anyway, thats just politics.

IMO Sen. McCain has done kind of the right thing, it looks political but in these strange days what doesn't?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sorry if I miss any of your previous post, but why you think this Sen. McCain move looks un-presidential?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join