It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

elections.foxnews.com

John McCain asked the Presidential Debate Commission on Wednesday to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Barack Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

The Arizona Republican senator said he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged Obama to do the same.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
WOW! Just wow! This mans history has shown hes always been for the people. Here's another perfect example, which can only do harm to his numbers. I am almost certain Obama will probably say hes running away from the debates, but we all know McCain can handle the debates just fine.

I would really like to hear what yall have to say about this. Quite unexpected if you ask me.

elections.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Good for him.

Personally, if an elected official is running for a higher office (or running to get re-elected), I don't think they should just forget about their "day job".

Our tax dollars are still paying McCain and Obama......they should take the time out of their campaign schedule to go to DC and deal with the job they have, not just deal with the job they want.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
McCain is speaking live now, confirming that he's suspending his campaign as of tomorrow morning. He's encouraging Obama to do the same.

I think this is a bold, and frankly scary, move this close to the election. I think it also further illustrates how serious of a situation the economy is in.

Then again, maybe it's just a scare tactic to try and force that shameful revolving $700B line of credit through....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This is 100% political, but McCain probably knows this may be one of the biggest votes in all his years in office, same for Obama. Their votes on the matter could really effect the elections...I'm sure Obama will agree, though I was really looking forward to the debate Friday night.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's an interesting move, no doubt. Part of me questions his motives because, A) McCain has never shown any interest in the economy. His Senate record has focused more on issues of defense & political crusading. and B) this does somewhat reek of him trying to appear like he better understands priorities.

I'd like to believe he's sincere, but I've made that mistake with McCain before (especially surrounding his opinion on the 2nd Amendment) and been stung by it, so I am understandibly cautious.

Edit: I am very surprised that he's potentially setting himself up to cast a vote on any bill that comes out of this. I fully expected both candidates to abstain from this vote as either way they go, for or against, could jump up and bite the hell out of them before November, whereas both abstaining somewhat distances them and keeps their feet out of the hottest part of the fire.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by burdman30ott6]

+35 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Funny, just last Monday he claimed "The fundamentals of the economy are sound" Now, the situation is so severe that he is temporarily suspending his campaign to deal with it.

IMO - this is a Rovian stunt, just like picking Palin. Funny how he pulled both rabbits out of the hat when his polls started dropping like a rock.

BTW - As for the debate being postponed, I just think his advisors realized that, after several days of practice, he would still probably embarrass himself in the debate tomorrow. Buying time...another tactic.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon
Then again, maybe it's just a scare tactic to try and force that shameful revolving $700B line of credit through....

THIS is the first thought that came to MY mind........a ploy, a SCARE tactic....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Funny, just last Monday he claimed "The fundamentals of the economy are sound" Now, the situation is so severe that he is temporarily suspending his campaign to deal with it.

LMAO Kosmic see? he doesnt REALLY have an honest grasp on whats going on...he is just spewing out of his mouth whatever his handlers tell him to make it seem like 'he cares'

+24 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's the first move towards suspending the election in November.

It's 100% political. He could make his desires known and even vote on the bailout and still be in Mississippi Friday night for the debate. He just doesn't want to debate Obama when the polls have Obama 9 points ahead, the economy (his weak point) is in crisis and he has been sticking his foot in his mouth at every turn for the past couple weeks.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
McCain is tanking in the polls and of course this is spin.

John McCain said everything is spin. There's 2 new polls that show him falling. CBS has him down by 9 and Fox by 6.

There's no need to suspend the debates.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Obama is going to make a statement to the press shortly.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Not to derail here, but would it be just as "political" if it was Obama doing it?

Like I said before, I personally would rather see these "candidates" in DC when something big comes up.

Neither is President yet. They are both still sitting senators, elected officials....and we are still paying them a salary for a job that neither are doing right now.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It's 100% political. He could make his desires known and even vote on the bailout and still be in Mississippi Friday night for the debate. He just doesn't want to debate Obama when the polls have Obama 9 points ahead, the economy (his weak point) is in crisis and he has been sticking his foot in his mouth at every turn for the past couple weeks.

This thought occurred to me as well, but frankly even the outside chance that it may possibly be a reality made me feel physically ill. My stomach literally turned.

Obama will be making a statement shortly. This does not bode well...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Took the words right out of my mouth, BH. This is scary and it can only lead to a delay in the election. This crisis isn;t going anywhere any time soon, 700 billion dollar bailout or not.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I fully expected both candidates to abstain from this vote as either way they go, for or against, could jump up and bite the hell out of them before November, whereas both abstaining somewhat distances them and keeps their feet out of the hottest part of the fire.

See this is where I'm proud of McCain, and while some may see this as a political ploy, I believe him to be sincere.

This lends credence in my opinion to McCain's "Country First" slogan. He really is more concerned about fixing American than he is about being President. I applaud him for this.

No matter what others may say.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

MSNBC just reported that Obama contacted McCain this morning at 8:30 in hopes of issuing a JOINT statement in agreement on the most crucial aspects of the bailout. McCain didn't return his call until 2:30 to agree but then had his own presser at 3:00. He is vicious and desperate to win.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think everything is going according to plan. I have already heard people, here, say that the first thing before the lead up to the postponement of the election would be the postponement of the debate

Edited to finish sentence.

[edit on 24/9/08 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
, just

This is probably the smartest thing his campaign has done to date to manipulate the masses for a vote. And it just might work to his benefit. Not for me, however, I don't buy it. More politicking.

Scary to think the election could really be postponed.

What's next? Bring it...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join