It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
American-in denial-Conservative:

All that would confirm is that he cares more about winning President than he does the country. Something which I already believe.

In your blinkered eyes that may be so...but to those with no rigidity in their mind, and thoughtful for their fellow compatriots without strings attached, will understand fully the real necessity for the campaign to continue unabated. When the election comes, the republicans are going to get hammered by an angry nation weilding their four-yearly power with a vengence. They will be swept aside as the most contemptous and villified generation of republicans, that even the new up and coming republicans will distance themselves from such poison.

This presidential campaign is not simply about picking a new president, it is about repledging to a torn-down charter between contemporary Americans and their country's founding Fathers, whom must be spinning like fan-blades in their graves at what everything they fought for and achieved has been turned into.

Bush and Co. are too scared to cancel this election right out...they know that the people will not allow it, so they seek to use subterfuge to derail it in some way, to take people's mind's off the task at hand...which is the removal of the republican's cancer. Even the Republican party must now view Bush's presidency as having been something wholly alien to what they are supposed to truly represent. They need to be rid of him and his cohorts as much for their future credibility and vote-worthiness, in terms equal to being a party the people can trust once again. Let them take a step back, lick the wounds they are about to receive, and then return to promoting real republican values...however, that trust will not come easy from a people whose nation has been devastated by incompetence, villiany, and constitutional destruction.

This presidential campaign is as important to the people (if not more so) as that of the nation's finances...keep the campaign on track and uninterrupted.

[edit on 24/9/08 by elysiumfire]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Entrainment
WHy would McCain do this suddenly? What does his their debate have to do with economy?

That's a good question. The only thing I can fathom is that after Obama's call this morning, McCain and his campaign saw the opportunity to make a move that would appear to be "for the people". So, in order to show how much he cares, he arranged a TV appearance, and right before he went on, he returned Obama's call.

If you watched Obama speak just now, it was clear that he was a little surprised by McCain's lone TV appearance AND the fact that McCain was calling for the debates to be postponed.

Obama is one classy dude.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think everything is set to happen, no matter if both of them are there to vote on it or not. Either way, if they don`t pass it, the crash is going to hurt everyone big time, if they pass it, it`s going to hurt everyone, but not to the extent as the other will. When the crash happens, that will be the time to watch our great political system(yea, right) in action. It`s what they do to make the major fix at that time. Either way, the Fed is going to come out on top of this smelling like a rose. They are going to make a killing from it if they get the bill passed, if not, and the ecomomy crashes, they will come forward and tell everyone how they will save the day.

Yes, it may well be a plot to put off the elections as a few have said here. Who is going to win in the long run? McCain or Obama? Nope, they won`t. The people? That in itself is a joke. No, none of those will. The only one to win will be the Fed. They will continue to get rich off of the people no matter what happens. The polititicians will contine to tell you how they will fix it as normal, and the people will be paying lowered interest rates for a while, till the Fed figures the time is right to jack them back up as they have done any other time. And it`s the same with your taxes. I hope I am wrong about this, but, look at how things are going. Our leaders want to fix this? Get rid of the Fed.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It is for America. That's why me and just about everyone else in this country has had it up to here with politics as usual. We are sick of getting screwed over and we want some answers. In a few weeks we have to vote. For those of us who aren't sure these debates matter more than anything.

But this isn't about "the people" is it (McCain's cut and run and the Bailout plan that nobody supports). I'm for Obama because I'm for the people, for America, for transparency and public debate, and pissed off at the crooked and secretive Republicans who continue to screw us royally and are about to do it yet again!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Someone please explain to me how you can suspend your campaign with less than 6 weeks to the election?
Who will run against Obama?
Is he the President by default or can one suspend and restart their campaign as they see fit?
Who will Obama debate, himself?
WTF is going on?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I will give McCain the benefit of doubt. He was for the surge and risked his election once to do what was better for America. Plus I also believe that when a person gets to a certain age he no longer has nothing left to prove. He is coming to the end of his political career whether he wins or lose. What better than to do something for America rather than businesses or his own party.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Obama fans, why do you keep bringing up his poll lead?

I did because I think that's the reason McCain did this. It's not that the polls mean all that much to me, but I'm absolutely certain that the campaigns are watching the polls. And ever since the economy started to fold and Sarah's shine dulled, Obama has shot up in the polls. You'd have to be asleep not to notice it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
None of the Candidates are classy dudes.

All this BS is just simple BS. Obama and McCain work for the same group of people, they cant make change. The only president to make change in our past 15-20 years was Clinton, we voter him out when we voted hillary out. The Groups that should be running are Ron Paul with Palin as VP and Hillary Clinton with Obama as VP.

This new annoucncement is just for manipulation and it is going to work for all 300+ Million Americans

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Someone please explain to me how you can suspend your campaign with less than 6 weeks to the election?
Who will run against Obama?
Is he the President by default or can one suspend and restart their campaign as they see fit?
Who will Obama debate, himself?
WTF is going on?

What is going on is that one senator is doing what our taxes pay him to do.

The other senator is using his title to get into a more powerful office while being excused from doing his actual job.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

McCain is still the Rep candidate, and will still be on the ballot (assuming we get to vote at all). All he did was stop campaigning, not renounce his desire to be Pres. He can restart the campaign at any time.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If anyone in Washington can get a Bi-Partisan bill passed that will actually help the American people and not big business it is John McCain. Only four congressmen support the bill in its current form, One because its un-constitutional for starters and Bush is going to look like the biggest Idiot in history if he promotes this bill tonight in its current form.

Obama is doing the only thing he is good at and that is talking. He has never backed anything up people and you have to know that. Only after a few short days Biden basically admitted he don't want to be his running mate by saying Hillary would have been a better choice.

The bill needs to give every home owner that owns a home that is worth $300,000.00 and under a mandatory rework of their loans to 4 percent for 30-40 years, Help AIG save itself and do not help anymore financial institutions, The whole problem gets fixed. No blank checks and it would be the best stimulus package ever. Consumer confidence and spending would shoot through the roof and hardly anyone would loose their homes.
The banks would have a sudden influx of money from all the people who could not pay their expensive variable rate mortgages and the economy would boom.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Obama for the people. Please. Do you really think the Dems would advocate for a junior Senator over the Clinton machine if they knew they couldn't control him. Look at the money he ir raising per month. That alone should tell you the story. He has a lot of political payback to make up for. Don't paint him as a Saint.

If he was for the people and thought that his plan were going to work he would have been in Congress trying to get them passed under the Democrat control Congress. Instead it has been a year plus some of wait till I become President....wait till I become President....wait till I become President....Guess we will keep on waiting

I wonder what we will have to wait on once he becomes President....Nevermind..Then we will be waiting on Congress to get something done....Same old story different year...

And if you want transparency look up the secret $500 spending bill the Democrats are working on at this very moment. Talk about transparency...

As far as debate what do you learn. Everything is just about rehearsed. Just two candidates putting spin on the questions. Maybe if we put them under an ATS debate maybe then we could learn something. 99.9% of the time they already know what to expect.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

We pay Senators to grandstand?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO

He meant that he would suspend it for a few days or a week, just until this bailout gets put through. Then he'd be back on the campaign trail.

I suspect that this "suspension" move was actually a political ploy OF his campaign to get people to think that he cares about them. So... the "suspension" of his campaign is a campaign strategy!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

We pay Senators to grandstand?

So McCain shouldn't go to the senate and do his job and debate on this current issue?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Grandstand....

I looked up the word in a dictionary and saw Obama's picture right by it.

Is Obama not a US Senator?

Did he not take an oath to carry out his job?

Then what is he waiting for. Somebody in Florida please buy him a bus ticket back to Washington.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I would have never believed this possible, but I think he just threw it.

I'd love to know who really thought this was a good idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Yes, Mccain should go to the senate, and he should debate. Isn't a president supposed to be able to multi task?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutoneSo McCain shouldn't go to the senate and do his job and debate on this current issue?

He hasn't done it so far. The last time he "did his job" (cast a vote) was back in April. He hasn't participated in any discussions on the economics matter.

Why is he waiting until the last minute to "do his job?"

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You are probably right, and once the issue has been voted on, McCain will have more ammunition to attack Obama for continuing with politics as usual during times of pressing concerns.

Personally I don't think Obama can do much in the Senate anyways as he is a freshman and he has hardly been there. McCain knows the system, has the contacts, and can pull strings.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join