It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin

I know were not gonna start talking about this cheating little

Id rather play helmet ball with the rest of the silly egg chasers, than look at this pathetic little oxygen thief

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo

Id rather play helmet ball with the rest of the silly egg chasers, than look at this pathetic little oxygen thief

Well, that's an old picture. This how Maradona looks today.

And yes, he is aparently clean and yes, he has his own Tv show now. I know it, I live here.

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Peronemlin]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Sorry but i do not care less,

If Maradonna was handing out gold bars on my back yard whilst riding a unicycle,dressed as a clown and singing god save the queen id shut my curtains.

Your Avatar gives you my reason for this as well as other things.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Adu is hardly the best player in the world. Not even in the top 30.

You are giving Americans a bad name with your lack of reading comprehension.

Please, show me where I ever said Adu was even close to being in the top 500 players in the world. He's an average player in the MLS.

Maybe in 10 years he might be, but he's not even close now. Even if soccer caught on, the brazilians would still have us beat down, BIG TIME.

I dissagree with you on this. If soccer caught on in the US, we'd be their equals in about 10 to 15 years. If our kids played soccer like they do basketball and baseball, we'd be a top 3 team every year.

You do realize raw athleticism doesn't mean you'll be great in playing a game that requires finesse. Unless people like Mcnabb or Vick could refine themselves, they'd just be really fast, athletic, crappy soccer players.

I will make the comparison to basketaball. Just about every guard in the NBA is an insane athlete. The true great ones combine that with skill. The same holds true for soccer. We'd be putting out the best athletes in the sport, and the ones that combined that with skill (do you really doubt an athlete like Vick would have Ronaldinho like skills if he grew up playing soccer instead of football?) would be dominate world class players of the Pele class.

It's like the smart person stereotype. They focus so much on learning they suck in social skills. Just because an athlete is good overall in everything, doesn't mean he could switch to a different sport and rule it. you have to learn the nuances and intricacies of the game.

I dissagree. The very athletes can, and often do. Take Labron James for instance. Everyone knows he was the greatest basketball prospect since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, but what most didn't know is he was also one of the top footbal recruites in the country. In fact, many had him as the #1 overall recruite, but teams didn't bother recruiting him after his junior year because it was clear he was going pro.

Put it this way... He was offered a full scholarship by Miami to play wide reciever for them for one year as a starter. That would have been over NFL star WRs such as Andre Johnson and Santana Moss.

Likewise, if we had Vick growing up kicking around a soccer ball, he'd have the option of playing either sport. Now, extend that to every athlete in the country.

How is it harder to catch a football? I've never had a problem catching a football. My dad (in his 50's now) used to QB for his catholic high shcool team. We had him clocked a few months ago at a speed of around 55mph throwing speed for a few consistent throws. I can catch those no problem. Same with slowballs. The team I was on in high school, that kid had around a 60-70mph throw. No problem catching those. You can catch them easy because they tend to fly straight in a sprial, so their fall is predictable.

A soccer ball is much harder to catch due to its size, the way a person strikes it, the curve, etc...

The shape of the ball my friend. I can lay out fully extended and catch a soccer ball no problem, even with wicked spin. A football is oddly shaped, plus unlike in soccer, you actually have people trying to physically prevent you from making the catch. You don't have a CB hanging on your inside sholder and a FS running 15 yards at full speed with the sole intention of knocking you out cold as a keeper. In fact, keepers in soccer are among the most protected athletes in all of sports.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Let's compare, shall we?

Soccer athlete

Football athlete

Who is more athletic... Let me think.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Let's compare, shall we?

Soccer athlete

Football athlete

Who is more athletic... Let me think.

You bring up a great point American Mad Man. That fat picture of Marodona was taken a long, long time after he retired. While NFL players playing today could be FATTER than that!!!!! You will NEVER see a fat top flight soccer player, wont happen.

Oh how are NFL players superior to Aussie Rules players. They hit hard and run constantly. THey also have those cool shorts.

Also Water Polo takes way more athletism than NFL.
Insert comment about American Football being greater than the rest of the world combined here. .

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

william "fatty" foulkes in the 1901 fa cup final

[edit on 2-3-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
You bring up a great point American Mad Man. That fat picture of Marodona was taken a long, long time after he retired. While NFL players playing today could be FATTER than that!!!!! You will NEVER see a fat top flight soccer player, wont happen.

And yet those same guys you think are fat are still better athletes then soccer players. They are running 5 second 40's and benching 225 pounds 40 to 45 times.

Their core strength is amazing, their ballance staggering.

These guys put on the weight purposfully. When they retire they generally lose it. For example, take Mr "I had 20 knee surgeries" Schlereth. The first pic is when he was playing, the second is a head shot of him as a TV analyst.

Oh how are NFL players superior to Aussie Rules players. They hit hard and run constantly. THey also have those cool shorts.

I've only seen high-lights of it on FSN, so I don't really know a lot a bout the sport.

However, having seen that, I don't ever recall seeing a big hit. Not once.

If you want to compare athletes, start by looking at their size. NFL players do everything those guys do, but at much greater size.

Again, as athletes, NFL players are only second to NBA players. It's just the nature of the sport. It requires you to be somewhat of a freak of nature.

I'll bet anything if you took NFL line backers, corner backs, running backs, safetys, tight ends, and wide recievers they would take over that sport.

Also Water Polo takes way more athletism than NFL.

If water polo requires more athleticism then football, then chess requires more athleticism then soccer.

Insert comment about American Football being greater than the rest of the world combined here.

Football is greater then the rest of the world combined

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   

And yet those same guys you think are fat are still better athletes then soccer players. They are running 5 second 40's and benching 225 pounds 40 to 45 times.

If you want to compare athletes, start by looking at their size. NFL players do everything those guys do, but at much greater size.

If water polo requires more athleticism then football, then chess requires more athleticism then soccer.

NFL players dont exert energy over a long period of time. They run a play then sell stuff via commerical break. Ever see a fat kid run for a smartie?
It is pretty impressive as long as said smartie is within sprinting distance!!
Same as the O line (or many positions in the NFL)

Most all NFL players could not even play Aussie Rules (let alone "Dominate") they do not have the stamina to exert constant energy over a extended period of time. They're more about bursts of energy.

As for the chess/soccer/water polo arguement you've totally lost me. Do you understand the amount of sheer strength it takes to paddle water, play an extremely physical game, and pass+throw a ball into a goal without instant replays and commercial breaks?

Now a Chess/American Football aguement that makes sense to me both about complex levels of strategy

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Aussie rules is the only game I know where fighting's within the rules, replays of good punches in slo-mo etc etc.

It's obviously just wrong Rugby but better game IMO than AF.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

They can do that only because they rest with all the stops the game has.
They would be unable to run 45 minutes. They just can, they don't have enough endurance.
It's like comparing 100 meters dash with a marathon. An athlete running only 100 meters of course can go fast, but it is impossible to run at that speed for 42 km.
If they play 10 new sports, which they have never played before, against (real) football players, they would lose in all the ones without pitstops.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
They can do that only because they rest with all the stops the game has.
They would be unable to run 45 minutes. They just can, they don't have enough endurance.
It's like comparing 100 meters dash with a marathon. An athlete running only 100 meters of course can go fast, but it is impossible to run at that speed for 42 km.
If they play 10 new sports, which they have never played before, against (real) football players, they would lose in all the ones without pitstops.

You don't think benching 225 pounds 40+ times involves endurance? I'd like to see a single soccer player do that. Just one. There are about 100 that can do that in the NFL.

Besides, those are just our lineman - the only "real" big guys. Almost every other player is in the 200 - 250 pound range. Those guys can run with soccer players all day long, but are MUCH bigger, MUCH stronger, and MUCH tougher. You make 10 new sports, and match soccer players against NFL running backs, corner backs, wide recievers, tight ends, linebackers, saftys, and quarter backs and the football players would beat the soccer players 9 out of 10 times. Maybe even all ten.

Soccer players simply aren't as athletically gifted as football players, much like football players are not as athletically gifted as basketball players.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
NFL players dont exert energy over a long period of time. They run a play then sell stuff via commerical break. Ever see a fat kid run for a smartie?
It is pretty impressive as long as said smartie is within sprinting distance!!
Same as the O line (or many positions in the NFL)

Most all NFL players could not even play Aussie Rules (let alone "Dominate") they do not have the stamina to exert constant energy over a extended period of time. They're more about bursts of energy.

Go to an NFL training camp and tell me that. These guys are out doing cardio 6 hours a day, often in 90+ degree heat. They have great endurance. Is it at the level of soccer players? Not quite, but it's a heck of a lot closer then people seem to give credit for.

As for the chess/soccer/water polo arguement you've totally lost me.

I was making a mockery of the level of physical contact in soccer.

[quoteDo you understand the amount of sheer strength it takes to paddle water, play an extremely physical game, and pass+throw a ball into a goal without instant replays and commercial breaks?

Yeah yeah... Football players would dominate that sport too. THey'd score about 50 goals in the first 10 minutes, then just sit back and play ball control.

Now a Chess/American Football aguement that makes sense to me both about complex levels of strategy

Naaaa - there is FAR more strategy and variables involved in football.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This thread is really funny, NFL players the most skilled and fit in the world LMAO. Out of all the football codes NFL is probably the easiest. The rest of the world doesn't have a professional league because we find it laborious and boring. NFL is more spectical than skill.

AMM, Australian Rules ( AFL ) players not only run 15-18 km ( about 9-12 miles ) per game, most can also easily bench press 225 pounds. Not that that's rteally a measure of sporting prowess as you like to think.
Simple fact is NFL players don't have nearly the fitness of an AFL player, simple fact.
Hell half of these NFL players have their gut hanging over their pants, even with their corsets. Blockers or whatever you call them, those fat guys who are in the middle who move about 2 yards to to tackle the guy in front of them, remind me of sumo wrestlers.

NFL is a meat head sport, the coach has to tell the players what to do constantly.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by rogue1]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
AMM, Australian Rules ( AFL ) players not only run 15-18 km ( about 9-12 miles ) per game, most can also easily bench press 225 pounds.

***sigh***

I have seen Australian football. There isn't a single guy in that league that could put up 225 pounds 40 times. Not a single one.

Not that that's rteally a measure of sporting prowess as you like to think.

OK. Put an NFL lineman in any kind of physical strength compitition and he would absolutely dominate any other sports athletes in the world, with the possible exception of Sumo wrestlers.

Simple fact is NFL players don't have nearly the fitness of an AFL player, simple fact.

Simple fact is, NFL players are more athletic then any other sports league players in the world, with the singular exeption of the NBA.

Hell half of these NFL players have their gut hanging over their pants, even with their corsets. Blockers or whatever you call them, those fat guys who are in the middle who move about 2 yards to to tackle the guy in front of them, remind me of sumo wrestlers.

They are called lineman. There are generally 16 or 17 of them on a 53 man team. They are the least athletic players on the field.

If you compare soccer players to players who play skill positions in the NFL, like wide reciever and corner back, they would make soccer players look silly.

NFL is a meat head sport, the coach has to tell the players what to do constantly.

Football requires more thinking and mental prowess then any other sport in the world. Even people that like soccer more then football would admit that if they were honest.

The problem here is that people not from the US don't have a clue about the NFL and football in general, so they don't know what they are talking about. Seriously, it's idiotic to say that the NFL is a meat head sport. A single pre-snap read from a QB requires more mental prowess then is used by both sides players in a 90 minute soccer game.

And a QB does this 60 some times a game. I won't even get into an offensive lineman's blocking responsabilties, much less a centers blocking reads, because frankly, I don't think Euros can comprehend using that much brain power in a sport. They'd rather punt a ball 50 yards back and forth for 90 minutes hoping they can get it between a huge goal.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
By the way, this idea that all NFL lineman are fat is just stupid and ignorant.

Here is Jevon Kearse, DE from the Eagles:

Here's Jason Taylor of the Dolphins:

Here is Dave Deihl of the Giants, one of those 300 pounders you all think are so out of shape:

Sure, a lot of offensive lineman play at 330 pounds or so, but that doesn't mean they are fat. Some are, but these guys are still athletic as hell, and their endurance is a lot greater then you Euros think.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   

AMM, Australian Rules ( AFL ) players not only run 15-18 km ( about 9-12 miles ) per game, most can also easily bench press 225 pounds.

***sigh***

I have seen Australian football. There isn't a single guy in that league that could put up 225 pounds 40 times. Not a single one.

BLAH, you really don't know much about the game. There are many guys who could bench 225 pounds in the AFL. You seem to be used to watch the fairies wearing shoulder pads, then when players don't they look smaller.
I can bench 225 and I play golf. Tiger Woods can bench 300 pounds, lol.

I see you obviously don't think NFL players are nearly as fit as AFL players.l An NFL player would hvae a heart attack if they had to run 10 miles in a game.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   

BLAH, you really don't know much about the game. There are many guys who could bench 225 pounds in the AFL.

Please, find me one single example of an Australian football player benching anything CLOSE to 225 pounds 40+ times. I have no doubt that some can bench 225 pounds, if they couldn't that would be sad. I want to see them do it FORTY times. That is world class/the worlds strongest man type of strength.

You seem to be used to watch the fairies wearing shoulder pads, then when players don't they look smaller.
I can bench 225 and I play golf. Tiger Woods can bench 300 pounds, lol.

No crap, I was doing reps of 225 when I was 16. Can you bench 225 pounds FORTY TIMES IN A ROW? No, you can't. It's not the weight, it's the number of reps. If you want to talk about "maxing", go ahead and use google. You will find that most of these guys are amongst the strongest humans ever to live.

Frankly, arguing about this is a joke. Those Aussie players would look like 8 year old girls compared to NFL lineman when it comes to strength.

As for calling NFL players "ferries"

Yeah, OK. I'd really like to see you call someone like Ray Lewis a ferry.

He'd probably kill you (NFL fans will find the humor in this)

I see you obviously don't think NFL players are nearly as fit as AFL players.l An NFL player would hvae a heart attack if they had to run 10 miles in a game.

Sorry to tell you that they run close to that every single day in preseason (though admittedly, not during the regular season, since so many injuries occur during games). Frankly, the only deaths that have occured in training camps have been from dehydration, not heart attacks.

Basically, you are wrong due to actual reality (again).

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Being "big, ripped and strong", just isn't enough to make you a good sportsman or a Winner by default.

Ask Jeff Lacey - Joe Calzhage just took the lad to school, after the mountains of praise Lacy had got from his countrymen, he was put down like a fool.
Nobody thought he would lose, it was "Look at his muscles! Look at his punching power! This guy is a pure athlete who will take Joe down". But the muscles and physique did nothing, and he was humiliated against Wales' finest.

The same goes for AF players - put them in a real sport against real men with real skill and watch them lose. They can lift weights and play AF, but they will never outclass Football players in any sport (weight lifting doesn't really count as a sport now does it).

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Again...

Hmmmm... Sorry I've been away for a while now... Met myself a wonderful young woman. She's already got my balls in a vice.

You guys are intentionally misinterpreting what AMM is saying. Go back and reread his posts and quit twisting what he is saying. He has not once said that because Football players can lift so many weights they would be better then other soccer players. Football players have this skill you keep referring to, they just haven't fine tuned their soccer abilities over the years.

Why? Because they grew up playing football... Not soccer. If they had grown up playing soccer...... I think that is what AMM is trying to get at... They would be some of the best soccer players in the world.

Oh man... Almost slipped up and called soccer football. Damn you nancy ballers!!!

Oh and AMM... I disagree with you on basketball players being the best athletes. I personally think hockey players take that role hands down. Closely followed by basketball players.

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join