It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
LMAO ^^^, what complete BS.

The only people in AF with any type of hand eye coordiantion would be the QB. No one else really ever touches the ball except for a few guys who hvae to cath it. They aren't born with the necessary skills to compete in other ball codes, lol.

This fdefence of AF is absolutely hillarious - your arguaments hold no weight. MOst AF players would never be able to play soccer in the European leagues, they simply don't hvae the skill from birth.

Hell by AMM reasoning, anyone of the these NFL players could be Tiger Woods, if only they played golf at a young age. Complete and utter BS and most people in this thread know it.

But hey keep :bnghd: just like AF.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
The only people in AF with any type of hand eye coordiantion would be the QB. No one else really ever touches the ball except for a few guys who hvae to cath it. They aren't born with the necessary skills to compete in other ball codes, lol.

Stop being so ignorant and closed minded. No one here is seriously cracking on Soccer the way you soccer fans crack on football. So, you are saying that a natural athlete doesn't have the skills necessary to play in soccer? Yeah, if soccer actually caught on in the U.S. we would churn out some of the best soccer players in the world. You deny this? Oh and by the way... What the hell does hand eye coordination have to do with soccer. Think before you type.

This fdefence of AF is absolutely hillarious - your arguaments hold no weight. MOst AF players would never be able to play soccer in the European leagues, they simply don't hvae the skill from birth.

How is what hilarious? Ohhh... you seem to think a soccer player is naturally a good soccer player. From birth even. Yeah, you are probably correct there. I mean, it couldn't be something gained through hard work and experience like everything else in life right? I don't suppose it comes from playing soccer in your younger years... On the playground and junior leagues. Like American children play football.

Hell by AMM reasoning, anyone of the these NFL players could be Tiger Woods, if only they played golf at a young age. Complete and utter BS and most people in this thread know it.

I'm sure a few of them could be just as good or better than Tiger... Again... If they grew up playing golf instead of football. You still deny this is the case? You couldn't really be that ignorant could you?

But hey, keep watching a ball bounce back and forth for 2 hours while throwing piss bags at each other to cure the boredom.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Stop being so ignorant and closed minded. No one here is seriously cracking on Soccer the way you soccer fans crack on football. So, you are saying that a natural athlete doesn't have the skills necessary to play in soccer? Yeah, if soccer actually caught on in the U.S. we would churn out some of the best soccer players in the world. You deny this? Oh and by the way... What the hell does hand eye coordination have to do with soccer. Think before you type.

Hey BRAINS, I said ball codes, I didn't mention soccer. If you'd bothered reading my posts you'd see I'm talking about Australian Rules Football most of the time.

I'm sure a few of them could be just as good or better than Tiger... Again... If they grew up playing golf instead of football. You still deny this is the case? You couldn't really be that ignorant could you?

LMAO, you truly are delusional. Not even worth more of a comment it's so funny
But I will. Being an athlete does not automatically mean you have world class skills in a sport. You really don't get it - to be the best in the world you hvae to hvae something more than hard work, like a natural gift. You obviously don't get that.
It's just lucky that AF, doesn't need that much natural skill. You're right it's all about beefing up and hitting people - skill is a minor concern.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i haven't been keeping up with this thread, but i'll put in my two cents:

soccer is much more fun to watch, because it's faster and more fluid. american football requires soo much patience... i fall asleep watching it because every two seconds, there's an ad break. makes me wonder if the game was designed as a vehicle for advertising. all the 'action' people claim american football has just looks to me like a bunch of people piling on top of each other...

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Hey BRAINS, I said ball codes, I didn't mention soccer. If you'd bothered reading my posts you'd see I'm talking about Australian Rules Football most of the time.

Seeing as how this is a thread about football and soccer... Not rugby or whatever that lame sport is called. Mybe that's why I skip your threads.
One would assume... Since you also mentioned soccer in the post... That is what you are talking about. Go start a thread about rugby... See who gives a rats ass.

You really don't get it - to be the best in the world you hvae to hvae something more than hard work, like a natural gift. You obviously don't get that.

Nope, I do. If you read my friggin' post you would see that. Just like brains... Something you must not... Wait.. Not going to go there. Athletes are born athletic... In general. That's my opinion. If that naturally athletic person grows up playing a particular sport he will become damn good at it.. if not the best. That being said, I'll say it one more time, if our outstanding athletes grew up playing soccer... Or for some reason rugby... They would be some of the best in the world.

Now quit spinning my posts.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Despite an understandably busy schedule, David Icke has arrived in the official ATS Discussion Forum for his ideas, theories, rants, raves, and general "get to know ya" chat.

We need to get Mr Icke in this thread, I mean, I know he likes to spout utter gibberish about the lizard king, but he did used to play for Coventry City...

[edit on 6/3/06 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

LMAO ^^^, what complete BS.

The only people in AF with any type of hand eye coordiantion would be the QB. No one else really ever touches the ball except for a few guys who hvae to cath it.

This statement is laughable.

You are telling me that recieers, tight ends, running backs, corner backs, full backs, and safetys don't need hand eye coordination?

Hell, a lot of NFL players played D1 basketball. Are you telling me they didn't need hand-eye cordination?

Yes, these players include 300 pound guys like Julius Peppers.

They have the athleticism to learn the skill and dominate had they played it.

I think a lot of these guys would drive the ball a hell of a lot farther then Woods, and I am sure that several of them would be better golfers had they grown up playing golf like Tiger Woods.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
The same goes for AF players - put them in a real sport against real men with real skill and watch them lose. They can lift weights and play AF, but they will never outclass Football players in any sport (weight lifting doesn't really count as a sport now does it).

You seem to be of the opinion that football players don't have "skill". You are mistaken.

Most of these guys are multi-sport athletes that dominate in track and field, basketball, and baseball.

How many pro soccer players have the choice of going pro in two or more ports at the same time like Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson? How many soccer players give up one pro career to persue another one?

I can give you literally HUNDREDS of examples of football players giving up baseball and basketball careers to play football.

If soccer were popular in the US it would be the same thing.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Football players have this skill you keep referring to, they just haven't fine tuned their soccer abilities over the years.

Why? Because they grew up playing football... Not soccer. If they had grown up playing soccer...... I think that is what AMM is trying to get at... They would be some of the best soccer players in the world.

Exactly.

Oh and AMM... I disagree with you on basketball players being the best athletes. I personally think hockey players take that role hands down. Closely followed by basketball players.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion... But frankly it is more or less agreed on in sports circles that basketball players are the best athletes. No other sport requires the size, speed, skill, raw athleticism, and endurance that Bball does.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
We need to get Mr Icke in this thread, I mean, I know he likes to spout utter gibberish about the lizard king, but he did used to play for Coventry City...[edit on 6/3/06 by Implosion]

Bring on the loony soccer panzy!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
SOCCER??? SOCCER??? I NEVER TOUCHED HER!
Seriously, comparing American football to that round-ball game thing is ridiculous! Next somebody is going to declear that Bull Fighting is a real sport.
I mean really, they cut the poor beasts neck muscles, bleed it for an hour, jab it with really big forks and knifes, only to have a guy dressed like a cross Liberagi -Balerinia with a Superman cape called a "Mat-or-Door(?) off him as women throw him roses.
I swear American florists started that whole event just to fill the rose market after Valentines Day

[edit on 6-3-2006 by Ikema]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
OK, I haven't gone into this forray. I played football through my school years, my schools didn't have a football team. Huh? Soccer is a GREAT game to play, boring as hell to watch. See golf! Rugby on the other hand, Ausie rules football, is KICKING, literally.
GO DEMONS!!!!

That being said, nice to add to the 5 time champs this year, Steelers. Only took the Niners a little over a decade to do that, not 3.

Yeah, I know, we suck right now. How the mighty have fallen.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

I think a lot of these guys would drive the ball a hell of a lot farther then Woods, and I am sure that several of them would be better golfers had they grown up playing golf like Tiger Woods.

Before you said if they switched sports NOW they would automatically be better athletes. Now it's if they had played the sport their entire lives. Which is it AMM. Sure they could drive it farthher...maybe. Arm strength is no guarantee of hitting distance....just look at my brother. But that's it. they could just HIT it. they couldn't do jack otherwise. they would completely suck at the game.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Before you said if they switched sports NOW they would automatically be better athletes. Now it's if they had played the sport their entire lives. Which is it AMM. Sure they could drive it farthher...maybe. Arm strength is no guarantee of hitting distance....just look at my brother. But that's it. they could just HIT it. they couldn't do jack otherwise. they would completely suck at the game.

No, I said if 10 completely new sports were created, football players would beat soccer players in 9 out of 10 times. I also said if football players were raised playing soccer instead of footbal and basketball (like we are in the US) we would be among, if not THE, top 3 nations in the world as far as soccer is concerned.

Of course our football players couldn't go into the premier league and dominate after never playing soccer in their life. The same goes with soccer players, only even more so.

My point is, if you took our NFL players, and made them play soccer instead of football when they were growing up, they would be world class superstars.

If you took soccer players and made them play football, they wouldn't be able to play football.

It's all relative. NFL players are simply better athletes then soccer players. It really is that simple.

If you took NFL running backs, wide recievers, cornerbacks, and safetys and made them play soccer from a young age, they'd dominate. You can't say soccer players would do the same in the NFL.

EDIT:

I'd like, again, to say that I AM a fan of soccer. I play the game to this day. But as a guy who has played both sports at a fairly high level, I have to say this isn't even an argument. Soccer players need endurance, and some foot work. That's it. Football players need sooo much more.

[edit on 7-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   

LOl, now this is really funny. You obviously know little about golf. Being a 300 pound meathead, would not allow you to drive the ball further, I doubt any of them would get within 50 yards of woods. Not to mention they wouldn't have the hand eye coordination to play at the top level - simple as that.
You can make all the arguments you wnt about how athletic they are, doesn't make one bit of difference, they lack the skill - it isn't in their DNA.

Anyway, just had to answer that ridiculous statement - maybe you've watched Happy Gilmore too many times.

Back to football - From what I've seen on TV, they seems to have the least amoun tof skills out of any ball code and the elast stamina. NOthing you have said chnages the simple facts.

BTW. The reason the rest of the world doesn't play AF is because it's boring. The players don't even have to think - the coach tells them what to do. Also if these guys are so skilled, why do they need a diffrent team to take a kick LMAO, seems it's because a players skills are so limited.

PS. The biggest kicker ever in AF was an Australian ex- AFL player, he was in your all-star team. He always maintained AFL was harder, but how could he refuse millions to basically do 20% of the work.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   

My point is, if you took our NFL players, and made them play soccer instead of football when they were growing up, they would be world class superstars.

If you took soccer players and made them play football, they wouldn't be able to play football.

Well if you took football players and made them play soccer at a young age instead, they wouldn't dominate. they'd be just as good or worse than current soccer players. Whereas if you tok soccer players and make them play football at a young age they'd be just as good or worse as the football players now. They are only playing one sport in this example, that's it. It's all a matter of how you're brought up.

All athleticism involves some form of natural talent. You need to work to develop those skills to make you the best possible. Football requires pretty much brute strength and the ability to memorize plays. Really not as hard as you make it seem. I volunteered in special ed. back in elementary school and they could memorize "plays".

I'll finish this later, I've got school.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Yes, I forgot American's super DNA, which make them super athletes. I wonder why the most wealthy Football Clubs in Europe don't follow your plan. Their players would all be superstars!!!

Oh yes, I know why. Because the rest of the world is always wrong.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well if you took football players and made them play soccer at a young age instead, they wouldn't dominate. they'd be just as good or worse than current soccer players. Whereas if you tok soccer players and make them play football at a young age they'd be just as good or worse as the football players now. They are only playing one sport in this example, that's it. It's all a matter of how you're brought up.

And this is where I do not agree. If you took NFL athletes, and had them play soccer, they'd be as good or better then current soccer players. This is because they have more natural athletic abillity. Their 'upside' is much greater.

All athleticism involves some form of natural talent. You need to work to develop those skills to make you the best possible. Football requires pretty much brute strength and the ability to memorize plays. Really not as hard as you make it seem. I volunteered in special ed. back in elementary school and they could memorize "plays".

OK, there is a difference between telling a bunch of retards to go long and being able to execute an NFL play. The verbiage for a single NFL play can be 40 or more words. Then when you get to line of scrimmage, both the quarter back and the center will call adjustments, some fake and some real. On top of all of that, you need to know your assignment for every single situation. If the DE and DT stunt, who do you take? If the strong safety blitzes and the DE drops into coverage, who do you take. Against a 3-4 defense, who do you take? Do you have inside gap responsabillity vs the outside gap in a certain situation? Knowing the blocking scheme alone for the Oline requires more mental work then is required by every player on a soccer pitch combined.

As far as what football requires physically, again, you couldn't be more wrong. Beyond the fact that you need speed, quickness, agillity, explosiveness, ballance, acceleration and a host of other physical talents, the technique to properly perform a play is tremendous. The skill it takes to properly pass block for instance is something that you can not really understand unless you have tried to master it. Sure, the strongest kid will be the best lineman at the age of 15, but when you get to the NFL, skill is the main factor.

I won't even get into the skill needed to be a great NFL wide reciever or quarter back, because that should be obvious to anyone who has ever watched a game of football.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
Yes, I forgot American's super DNA, which make them super athletes. I wonder why the most wealthy Football Clubs in Europe don't follow your plan. Their players would all be superstars!!!

Oh yes, I know why. Because the rest of the world is always wrong.

Hey man, just check out the summer olympics.

What country wins just about every track and field event? What country wins just about every sprinting event? What country owns the most world records in running/sprinting/jumping events? Here's a clue:

The reason big soccer clubs DON'T use American players is because our best athletes DON'T play soccer. It's that simple. Our best athletes play basketball and football. If they played soccer, you'd see every large soccer club in the world with a bunch of Americans on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I won't even get into the skill needed to be a great NFL wide reciever or quarter back, because that should be obvious to anyone who has ever watched a game of football.

You can't even compare the skills needed to play American Football and Football. It's so much easy to control the ball with your hands than with your feet.
It's harder to stop a 30 meter pass with your feet than trying to catch it with your hands.
It's harder to fake a defender while controlling the ball with your feet than while you are carrying it in your armpit.
It's harder to score by kicking inside the goal than crossing a line with the ball in your hands.
It's harder to steal the ball from other player when you can't just jump on him.
And so on...

If there's something that's absolutely out of discussion here is skills. The skills of AF are not even near to the ones of footaball.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join