It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

BTW, just in case any of you were losing sleep over the new Houston soccer franchise's name, 1836, you'll be happy to know that they have changed the name to Dynamo. Still pretty cheesy but it's better than a freakin' date.

Certainly not losing sleep Doc, but I have signed up to the newsletter! Even though its a general MLS one but I have emailed to ask if they'll bring out a specific Houston one for us far flung fans! Figured as the MLS and Houston are still young they could do with all the support they could get!
Still confused as hell about how you do things over there however, but I am learning! BTW does anyone know where I can get online streams of the games? or even highlights? Maybe ESPN or similar? I'm willing to put a small amount of money where my mouth is (a few nuggets a month, upto to say 10usd), and if I can learn a little bit more about this funny NFL game of which you speak, so much the better

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Doc, the formattings ok again. First red card to the dickhead who feks it up again!

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Assuming there is no outside influence, I'd agree with you.

However, when a guy like Brian Dawkins is being paid to knock you out ever time you attempt to catch the ball, it becomes just as difficult, if not more so.

A guy like who? Sorry, I don't know him. Too bad American Football stars are not known around the world, like in REAL FOOTBALL.
(so you think there is no "outside influence in football", no, the defenders are just there to watch the game)

It's harder to fake a defender while controlling the ball with your feet than while you are carrying it in your armpit.

But it's harder to break an NFL tackle then it is a soccer tackle. Not even close on this one.

Really? it's harder to break a tackle when you just have to worry about yourself? In football you can't carry the ball well secured in your arms, the ball is on the ground, always exposed to the defenders, and you must be aware of your teammates position, because you know what? in football you can PASS the ball whenever you want.

It's harder to be able to be able to throw an accurate 60 yard pass and still be able to 'fake a defender' then it is to have good soccer skills.

Haha! Now that's ridiculous. Try to do exactly the same, but instead of throwing it, kick it, and instead of catching it, try to stop it with a foot, your chest or your head. And then tell me what's harder.

It's harder to be a Line Backer, and be able to tackle reliably, shed blocks, and drop into coverage then it is to have good socer skills.

You think it's harder to tackle in AF? it's just jumping over the guy, for god sake! In football you need SKILL to steal the ball without knocking down your opponent. You need CLASS to be a superstar defender, not brute force.

I play both sports. I know.

Didn't you say you were a goalkeeper?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
What country with their "superior" basketball playing athletes always loses? That's right, us, the USA. We lost to Greece or some crap like that.

HEY!

We won you in Athens and then we won the Gold Medal.

So, who is CRAP?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin

It's harder to be able to be able to throw an accurate 60 yard pass and still be able to 'fake a defender' then it is to have good soccer skills.

Haha! Now that's ridiculous. Try to do exactly the same, but instead of throwing it, kick it, and instead of catching it, try to stop it with a foot, your chest or your head. And then tell me what's harder.

Here's a good example of this
A 50 meters pass...

He stops it, makes the defender bite the dust and scores with an accurate shot into target.

And you say this is easier to do than catch the ball with your hands and run until you cross the line?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
First red card to Peronemlin for excessively using class and skill in the same post. Also, for losing his temper in a joke thread. BTW... This year the US is sending a real basketball team to the Olympics. Not a showboating all-star team of individuals. No one here can argue the fact that a team full of all-stars can suck right?

Gold Medal... USA... You heard it here first!!!

*edit*

Damn... Can I be back up referee?

[edit on 8-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
First red card to Peronemlin for excessively using class and skill in the same post. Also, for losing his temper in a joke thread. BTW...

A direct red card? come on! Give me a yellow first!!

Originally posted by LostSailor
This year the US is sending a real basketball team to the Olympics.

There are Olympic Games this year?

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Peronemlin]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

There are Olympic Games this year?

Why you... Gah... You got me. Next Olympics.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

What country with their "superior" basketball playing athletes always loses? That's right, us, the USA. We lost to Greece or some crap like that.

By your logic, our bball players should trounce everyone, since of course we have the best athletes.

The key difference being that our players only got a few weeks to work together while other national teams play together year round.

Watch what happens this Olympics now that we are going to field a team year round.

Plus we didn't even bring our best players. I didn't see Shaq, Duncan, etc playing.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by American Mad Man]
It shouldn't matter how much time they had together. These are professional athletes who know what to expect. these were our best players. They should be able to play together after a day, hell they study tapes of their opponents to figure out how to guard against them for gods sake.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Plus we didn't even bring our best players. I didn't see Shaq, Duncan...

No Duncan? And who was this?

Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
Ha ha

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Peronemlin]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
You won't be recognizing the guy on the left this time around.

The little big man has been left home.

:shk:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Gotta hand it to the guy though... He makes some good points...

He calls Football "pussy ball" and yet is a soccer supporter.

That alone discredits anything he ever has or ever will say.

Just look at last nights soccer game, and the "tackle" (more like 2 idiots tripping over each other) that resulted in a penalty shot!

That was the softest, most pathetic excuse for contact I have ever seen in any sport ever. EVER.

There is more contact in frigging baseball for crying out loud.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

It shouldn't matter how much time they had together. These are professional athletes who know what to expect. these were our best players. They should be able to play together after a day, hell they study tapes of their opponents to figure out how to guard against them for gods sake.

You can't just throw a team together and pit them against other proffesionals who have been playing together for several years. It doesn't work that way.

Any one who plays or coaches sports knows this.

If you took the US players from ANY NBA team and had them play in the olympics, they would have won the gold.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If you took the US players from ANY NBA team and had them play in the olympics, they would have won the gold.

You have a "If you took..." for everything, don't you?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

No Duncan? And who was this?

Sorry, I meant KG.

Just look at the roster though...It's made up mostly of our C team all-stars:

Point Guards: Marburry, Wade
Shooting Guards: Iverson, Anthony
Small Forwards: Jefferson, Marion, James
Power Forwards: Odom, Stoudemire
Center: Boozer, Duncan, Okafor

Look at the names missing:

O'Neill, Bryant, McGrady, Allen, Kidd, Garnett

The only top quallity players we brought (at that point of time) were Iverson and Duncan. Almost all of the other guys were mid level players at best (Marburry, Jefferson, Marion, Odom, Boozer, Okafor) or rookies with a lot of promise (Wade, James, Okafor, Anthony).

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

For hypothetical situations I do.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

For hypothetical situations I do.

Good.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
You won't be recognizing the guy on the left this time around.

The little big man has been left home.

Being a Philly native, I'm POed about this. He was clearly the best player on the last olympic team, and played with a lot of heart and desire, like he always does. He is also a very willing passer, despite the usual perception, particularly when on a team with so many skilled players.

If I'm making the US team, it looks like this:

Starters:

PG - Dwayne Wade
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Shawn Marion
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Shaq

Bench:

PG/SG - Allen Iverson
SG - Ray Allen
SG - Micheal Redd
PG/SG/SF - Labron James
PF - Chris Bosh
PF/C - Tim Duncan
PF/C - Josh Howard

Athletic, deadly from outside, unstoppable inside, insane D. Make them play together for 2 years, and they will win every game by 20 points.

You can go big with Shaq at center, Duncan at PF, Garnett at SF, Kobe at SG, ad LBJ at PG.

You can go small with Wade and AI at guard, Ray Allen and Marion at forward, and Howard at center.

You can go for the inside-out game with Shaq surrounded by Marion, Redd, Allen, and Wade.

You can go for the show-time aproach with Duncan, Garnett, LBJ, Kobe, and Wade.

That team would only be beatable by the original dream team.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
But then us crazy canucks will burn you wild with Steve Nash!

I wonder how the Canadian team will shape up against the teams this time around.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Gotta hand it to the guy though... He makes some good points...

Just look at last nights soccer game, and the "tackle" (more like 2 idiots tripping over each other) that resulted in a penalty shot!

That was the softest, most pathetic excuse for contact I have ever seen in any sport ever. EVER.

Whoa.... I'm confused, I agree!

The refereeing in Europe is decidedly dodgy, every time the Champions league comes around you see players getting booked for challenges that wouldn't be worth a second glance in the Premiership. And, yeah, it sucks.

Apparently FIFA are toying with the idea of introducing a second ref, I dunno though, FIFA seems to hinder more than help, if you need an example of this, just take a look at the latest "interpretation" of the offside rule.

Don't these idiots understand? If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

:shk:

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join