It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm going to miss this thread, I'm going out on vacations, so goodbye.

Be back in two weeks, hope this thread is still alive

Have fun

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
But then us crazy canucks will burn you wild with Steve Nash!

I wonder how the Canadian team will shape up against the teams this time around.

I like Nash. Very good player, and fun to watch.

He needs to improve his D though. His game is definately better suited to the international game (and that's saying something, because he's a GREAT NBA player).

It's a shame he was stuck behind Kidd in Arizona for those first couple years.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
whoops! Things not going swimingly?

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- It has come down to this: What may be the last start of Roger Clemens' illustrious career is a make-or-break game for Team USA against South Africa at Scottsdale Stadium at 3 p.m. ET on Friday.

If the Americans win, they will move on to the next round of the World Baseball Classic against Japan, Korea and Mexico in Anaheim's Angel Stadium beginning Sunday. If they don't, Clemens could call it a day after 22 seasons, 341 wins and 4,502 strikeouts.

"I don't see myself starting this season unless something really kicks in to where I get that edge," Clemens said on Wednesday before the U.S. was stunned, 8-6, by Canada at Chase Field. "I'm just trying to fade away a little bit. Maybe [I'll be back in] May or June -- I don't know what's going to happen. I've tried to make the call a few times. It's just not working."
source

Beat by Canada, eh? But, but, but I thought that if the USA takes a sport seriously, then no one could beat them? Or doesn't that apply to baseball? I'm confused because at the moment it looks like your getting your asses handed to you on a plate. Or is it part of the game plan to totally suck in the early stages? I can understand that, England do it really well. Or really badly, depending on your POV. Either way, looks like you need to get those minute men checking illegals for baseball skills. You might get past the 1st round next time if you do!

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Chissler,

Congrats... Canada beat the U.S. team in baseball. How friggin' embarrassing. I'm going to go hang my head all day and... Maybe I'll buy a big bottle of whiskey. Yeah... that sounds good.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you expect to win. These guys are friggin' professionals and should know this already. Let's hope they aren't remembered as national disgraces.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I havent read this entire thread so apologys if im repeating, but aussie rules beats all sports by a mile. First off you dont have to be able to benchpress a volkswagon to play.

Guys playing the game from 5ft5 to 7ft. Have to be able to run anywhere up to 20 kms a game depending on what position you play. You have to be able to kick an oval shaped ball up to 50 metres accurately with either foot, hand pass the ball accurately with either hand to a moving player, catch the ball in a pack while guys are trying to thump it out of your hands with their fists. Be able to run at full pace into another player without the benefit of padding.

Now thats sport!

Btw i do enjoy watching american football though its usually on fairly late down here. Hockey's pretty cool, i can barely stand up on wet grass let alone ice. But baseball leaves me cold, no action!

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I havent read this entire thread so apologys if im repeating, but aussie rules beats all sports by a mile.

It's been covered already.

It was established that it is, in fact, inferior in every way to football.

It is, however, superior to soccer.

Football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aussie football=Rugby>>>>>>>>>>Soccer

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Ahem, appear to have the arrows mixed up a bit there AMM old chap.

Here's a REAL diagram of sports and their place in the world

Football >> Hockey >> Rugby >> Oz Rules >> Tennis >> Bowls >> Curling >> Poking Yourself in the Eye with a Fork >> Gary Glitter >> American Football

Okay, so Gary Glitter isn't a sport.....but then, the same can be said for AF

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
american football is a disgrace.
more than half the world doesnt even know that it exists.

rugby is much better than american football. they dont wear no protection.

and whats with americans playing a game all by themselves and calling themselves world champs? quite hilarious, actually.

football (not soccer) beats it HANDS down!!!

long live EVERTON. "COME ON YOU BLUES".
"ONCE A BLUE ALWAYS A BLUE"

"NIL SIS NISI OPTIMUM"

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

I havent read this entire thread so apologys if im repeating, but aussie rules beats all sports by a mile.

It's been covered already.

It was established that it is, in fact, inferior in every way to football.

It is, however, superior to soccer.

Football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aussie football=Rugby>>>>>>>>>>Soccer

Thank god Amm, i was hoping you would rise to the challenge. Convince me that every guy on an american football team runs harder, faster and longer than an aussie rules player and hits harder without the benefit of padding, and i will bow down gracefully and worship the ground on which Brett Favre walks.

I await your witty repertee with enthusiasm.

Peace as always
M4S

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Wow, I don't have the tiem right now to read all 40 pages of posts in this thread, but I certainly will when I get the chance. In the meantime, how many of you have joine dup with Sportztawk? It's loosly affiliated with ATS/BTS, many members there came from here, and by the looks of things, ya'll would fit right in...

www.sportztawk.com

See ya there!

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Thank god Amm, i was hoping you would rise to the challenge. Convince me that every guy on an american football team runs harder, faster and longer than an aussie rules player and hits harder without the benefit of padding, and i will bow down gracefully and worship the ground on which Brett Favre walks.

Peace as always
M4S

In your opinion, give the names and size of the 5 hardest hitters in rugby.

It is a fact that football players run harder because they sprint nearly 100% of the time they are moving. Rugby players often jog, or stand around waiting for the ball to emerge from a scrum.

I can also give you my own personal experience... I played rugby for a brief period in college (never did get the rules down right), and I played with some very good lpayers (at least for the US)... I was the hardest hitter on our team, yet I only weigh about 200 pounds.

I'll put Brian Dawkins up against any human in the world for hardest hitter.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Well here's ne Jonahg Lomu from rugby union who turned down an NFL contract because the sport was too easy.

At 1.96 metres, Lomu is as tall as most locks, and at 120 kilograms is as heavy as most prop forwards (that is, 6 ft 5 in tall and 271 lb). Despite his size, he was, when healthy, still able to run 100 metres (109.4 yards) in 10.8 seconds. At school his sprint training included running around the field, pulling a lawn-roller with a rope tied around his waist.

Now there isn't any NFL player who could come close to that. The fact that you measure your players sprinting stats in 40 yard bursts shows how little stamina thyey rally have - what a joke.

It is a fact that football players run harder because they sprint nearly 100% of the time they are moving. Rugby players often jog, or stand around waiting for the ball to emerge from a scrum.

Most NFL games are standing around doing nothing, players barely run 10 yards most of the time
. In rugby and soccer there is what is called half time ( AFL has quarter time ), that's when players get to rest. In NFL players have a few minutes everytime someone gets tackled or drops the ball LMAO. The stamina in NFL players is obviously non existent.

I can also give you my own personal experience... I played rugby for a brief period in college (never did get the rules down right), and I played with some very good lpayers (at least for the US)... I was the hardest hitter on our team, yet I only weigh about 200 pounds.

Well most people know NFL requires very little brain power, you just have to listen to the players speak - Meatheads.

As for US Rugby Union teams they are a joke. Our school 1st's team played an All American team Rugby Union team and beat them 107-8. It beacme a joke at school, especially since this was america's best team and playing the lowest ranked schoolboy team in out competition, wouldn't be anyhwre near that score.

LOL, whoever he is. Is that with or without shoulder pads and a hemet
He would get snapped playing against a top national RU team.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Well here's ne Jonahg Lomu from rugby union who turned down an NFL contract because the sport was too easy.

At 1.96 metres, Lomu is as tall as most locks, and at 120 kilograms is as heavy as most prop forwards (that is, 6 ft 5 in tall and 271 lb). Despite his size, he was, when healthy, still able to run 100 metres (109.4 yards) in 10.8 seconds. At school his sprint training included running around the field, pulling a lawn-roller with a rope tied around his waist.

Now there isn't any NFL player who could come close to that. The fact that you measure your players sprinting stats in 40 yard bursts shows how little stamina thyey rally have - what a joke.

Most NFL games are standing around doing nothing, players barely run 10 yards most of the time
. In rugby and soccer there is what is called half time ( AFL has quarter time ), that's when players get to rest. In NFL players have a few minutes everytime someone gets tackled or drops the ball LMAO. The stamina in NFL players is obviously non existent.

Well most people know NFL requires very little brain power, you just have to listen to the players speak - Meatheads.

As for US Rugby Union teams they are a joke. Our school 1st's team played an All American team Rugby Union team and beat them 107-8. It beacme a joke at school, especially since this was america's best team and playing the lowest ranked schoolboy team in out competition, wouldn't be anyhwre near that score.

brilliantly said.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Peace as always
M4S

I wouldnt know from Rugby,though i do watch it here ,im talking about aussie rules.

Let me put it this way, ALL the players on an aussie rules side have to be able to tackle/hit another player, no matter what their size.They also have to be fit enough to run out an entire game, which can last anywhere upto 120 mins. Btw im not attempting to denigrate yours or anyone elses games just that from my point of view aussie rules(not Rugby amm) requires its players to be proficient in many skills, be fitter and stronger(across the board, obviously some american footballers would be stronger but they would generally only play one position, and then only for short periods of a game.)

I played over 200 games of amateur league here, i weigh approx 90 kilos(dont know pounds) there were guys i played with a lot smaller than me that could clean up much bigger guys, it wasnt their weight it was the timing of the tackle and the speed of impact that makes all the difference.

And then when our best kicking footballers cant handle the pace of our game anymore we send them over to america to play.lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Let me put it this way, ALL the players on an aussie rules side have to be able to tackle/hit another player, no matter what their size.

The same goes for football.

They also have to be fit enough to run out an entire game, which can last anywhere upto 120 mins.

Look, I understand that aussie rules/soccer/rugby players do not have the same stopage in play that football does.

HOWEVER, it isn't like they are constantly running. Just watch a game - MOST of the time, the players are standing/lightly jogging. It isn't as if they are running a marathon and keeping up the same pace for the whole period of time.

Btw im not attempting to denigrate yours or anyone elses games just that from my point of view aussie rules(not Rugby amm) requires its players to be proficient in many skills, be fitter and stronger(across the board, obviously some american footballers would be stronger but they would generally only play one position, and then only for short periods of a game.)

Obviously, it's hard to compare games when they so radically different.

Football pplayers may give up a tiny bit of endurance to rugby/aussie rules/soccer players. However, the difference in fitness levels is very, very small. Just because a football player may not run quite as much in game as other athletes, does not mean that he is unable to do so. Believe me, these guys are fit as hell. They could run with soccer players/rugby players/aussie rules football players with no problem.

The difference though, is in the explosive athleticism that football players have. They are much stronger - both in the lower and upper body - then any other sports athletes. If you were to take players of the same size from those 4 sports, the football player would be the best pure athlete. He'd be the fastest sprinter, he'd be the strongest guy, he'd jump the highest, he'd have the best agillity, etc.

I played over 200 games of amateur league here, i weigh approx 90 kilos(dont know pounds) there were guys i played with a lot smaller than me that could clean up much bigger guys, it wasnt their weight it was the timing of the tackle and the speed of impact that makes all the difference.

And then when our best kicking footballers cant handle the pace of our game anymore we send them over to america to play.lol.

90 Kilos is roughly 200 pounds if my math is right. Basically, you are my size.

I was a goood enough football player in high school to be considered among the top 150 recruites in the US (at least before I blewout my knee). However, I played safety, which is one of the smallest positions in the game.

I was the small guy at that size. Of course timing means a lot when you get a free shot at someone, but when you are CONSTANTLY having guys of 150 kilograms running head first into each other (usually about 60 times a game) size DOES play a factor. In fact, it is a very important part of football "fitness"... Your body tends to wear down when you have guys of that size doing their best to up end you every 30 seconds.

That is the kind of difference I am trying to get non-Americans to consider... 115+ kilogram guys often play what we would consider "skill" (or small if you prefer) positions. These same guys are running 36.5 meters in 4.3 seconds, and have vertical jumps (both feet on the ground, no running start) of over a meter.

I did the conversions to give you all a sense of the type of athletes these guys are. Just picture a guy of that size, doing ALL of those things.

Ohhh yeah, kickers aren't football players. They're kickers.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Now there isn't any NFL player who could come close to that. The fact that you measure your players sprinting stats in 40 yard bursts shows how little stamina thyey rally have - what a joke..

Yawn...

He's the best player the All-blacks have, and he'd be just another athlete in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him play in highlight tapes I've seen, and that funny dance the all-blacks do is kinda cool in a tribal sort of way, but he isn't anything special in the NFL - that's the point.

40 yard dashes are used because they take into account acceleration, which is far more important in football then pure top end speed.

. In rugby and soccer there is what is called half time ( AFL has quarter time ), that's when players get to rest. In NFL players have a few minutes everytime someone gets tackled or drops the ball LMAO. The stamina in NFL players is obviously non existent..

Just got done watching Chelsae and some other team (blanking on the name, they have Edgar Davids on their team now)... Soccer players spend just as much time standing around as football players do. The vast majority of time, it's 2 or 3 guys kicking a ball around in a triangle while everyone else watches. Then, once every 10 minutes, someone actually sprints towards the goal, and they call that "pace"...

You call that stamina? And don't get me started on rugby.
It's the same thing. You aren't even allowed to hit the other player in the open field if he doesn't have the ball!

Well most people know NFL requires very little brain power, you just have to listen to the players speak - Meatheads..

Again, football players actually require MORE mental abillity then any other athlete, but again, that's your own ignorance.

And it would be a joke if your football teams tried to play any of our school teams. The fact is, no one plays rugby here, and no one plays football there, so is it really a good comparison?

BTW, I watched the US Rugby team play the French international team on TV, and the score wasn't nearly that bad. Are they a good Rugby team (honest question, no fishing here)?

Without if you like, considering he fights in MMA in the offseason. I'd reckon he could nock at least half of the rugby players in the world out cold on his first hit.

Brian Dawkins:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I Know this is a football topic, but oh well.

We Americans assemble a team for the W.B.C. that would dominate. Then we go out there and get spanked. How is it that all these sports writers and reporters praise our team up and down, and yet we go out there and get our fat
handed to us???

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Anyone see that new show Pros vs. Joes.

They put up regular guys against some pros to see how they shape up. The first challenge was to defend Jerry Rice.

Man he made them look sick. Most other competitions were close, but defending a professional wide reciever.. Ill just try walking on water.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
I Know this is a football topic, but oh well.

We Americans assemble a team for the W.B.C. that would dominate. Then we go out there and get spanked. How is it that all these sports writers and reporters praise our team up and down, and yet we go out there and get our fat
handed to us???

Even the best teams lay an eg once in a while.

Besides, that baseball team is anything but our best. I don't see Bonds or Wagner for starters.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Anyone see that new show Pros vs. Joes.

They put up regular guys against some pros to see how they shape up. The first challenge was to defend Jerry Rice.

Man he made them look sick. Most other competitions were close, but defending a professional wide reciever.. Ill just try walking on water.

I just watched that. The funny thing is that he's like 46 years old.
And he just schools those guys.

That stiff arm/shove he gave that one guy on the out pattern was priceless.

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join