It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
A1 probably would have been better without the Irish commentary team and some more coordinated camera work. Some interesting results there though and quite a few reputations tarnished along the way.

yes the presentation was poor as to the actual racing I liked the simple Qualifying procedure and the boost button was novel. but i got tired of it soon, i don't really know why.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It may have been calling the field by country - just not used to it I guess and difficult to get used to. Not sure about the boost button kinda weird really and difficult to keep up with who has, and who hasn't. But not a bad effort for building a category from scratch - it can only get better.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo

A1 probably would have been better without the Irish commentary team and some more coordinated camera work. Some interesting results there though and quite a few reputations tarnished along the way.

yes the presentation was poor as to the actual racing I liked the simple Qualifying procedure and the boost button was novel. but i got tired of it soon, i don't really know why.

A 1 is crap. FACT!. it is crap.

those drivers cant even drive when they are behind a safety car.

as a f1 commentator said correctly "u dont need power boosts to be entertained in f1, the drivers do it themselves"

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Sorry, were you talking about A1 or CART ?

Give, them a go.... IRL was pathetic in it's first couple of years. Yes, the drivers (many of them ex F1) have made some pretty awful blunders, haven't they, but it makes an interesting comparison between some of the up and comers and some of the veterans.

And I have to say that the two French drivers have done their future careers no harm at all by doing A1. By the same token you would have to wonder (beyond the obvious marketing aims) what claim Scott Speed has to an F1 seat from his A1 performances.

I agree with the condemnation of power boost, it just confuses the issue. And I don't really think its use has influenced any of the outcomes. But as a marketing exercise in the normal racing off-season and going international with a new formula right off - man, I've seen much much worse in a first year, so let's see what happens in the next couple of years.

International Touring cars didn't work, live coverage of the World Rally Championship didn't work, the F1 Masters Series (if you've heard of it), has had far less coverage or promotion, so really they aren't doing too badly.... but yes, some fine tuning to do, for sure.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
ohdearohdearohdearohdearohdearohdear!! and ohdear!! bwahahaha

The only unbeaten team in the World Baseball Classic powered its way to another victory Monday night as surprisingly adept-at-everything Korea defeated Team USA, 7-3, before 21,288 at Angel Stadium.

First baseman Seung-Yeop Lee hit another home run, his fifth of the tournament, Hee-Seop Choi slugged his first -- in a pinch-hit role -- and the Korea pitching staff stymied the best lineup it has seen so far in the 16-team tournament as Korea improved to 2-0 in Round 2 and 5-0 overall.

Korea is sitting in the semifinals cat-bird seat heading into Wednesday night's game against Japan. The top two teams here advance to the semis in San Diego. Japan, Mexico and the United States each have one loss in this round-robin. If Mexico beats Japan Tuesday night, Korea reaches the semis.

souce

C'mon now guys, you yankee's are the self proclaimed 'best at everything we take seriously', yet your being quite silent about this ass whooping your being given, in the first trully international event one of your sports has spawned. Whats the deal? Finding international competition a little bit different to how you envisioned? Kind of
s up your assertion that if you took sock-er seriously, you'd always be top 3 at the World Cup doesn't it? Might be best to take these events a little more seriously next time I'd suggest. Very embaressing when things like this to happen. All England fans can sympathise if that helps though!!

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ridcully

The Americans should have been eliminated by the Japanese had it not been for an obvious BS call against Japan.

Baseball is a sport unlike most others in which the smallest of errors can cost a heavily favored team a game. Bad location on one pitch or one bobble resulting in a fielding error is all it takes sometimes. We lost to Canada which if I'm not mistaken had only two players that were above AA. I may be wrong about that so don't hold me to it, but the fact remains that in baseball, literally, anything can happen, and it happens frequently.

The Americans never were the favored team, the Dominicans were. They have a lineup like no other and even they lost a game. Add on top of that the fact that most of these guys are still in the early stages of conditioning for the season ahead and you see why the results are the way they are.

BTW, everyone's having a meltdown here in Houston because our closer Brad Lidge, one of the most devastating pitchers in baseball, is not throwing well and they're blaming it on the WBC. I hate the whole concept and even if the Americans win nobody will care anyways. They should dump the whole thing.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
You guys are all so wrong, and lame, and.....American really.

Soccer involves far more skill than American Yankball. To be honest, there are three different types of Football in Australia, and none of our players get to wear any kind of protection at all....thus proving once again, that Aussies are far tougher than Yanks.

AFL - A very fast game of much skill, lots of kicking, immense field, no offside, players can run as much as 20km in one single game.

Rugby League - Probably my least favourite, but the competition is pretty fierce, much more dangerous than AFL or American Football.

Rugby Union - The Big Boss, this game is only played by immensely tough dudes on a death wish, this game is played by men that are easily up to 150 kgs of pure muscle, and let me tell you, YOU GET PUNISHED.

American football players have even visited Australia and admitted that our game is far far far more dangerous and tough than your guys pansy version.

To clarify my main point, Aussies and Kiwis are a bunch of hard cases who put Yanks to shame both in intelligence and sporting competition.

I hope this sums it all up clearly and objectively.

Personally I prefer music, and basketball, but I did play Union for about 8 years.

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::w::bnghd::bnghd::w::w::bash::bnghd:

[edit on 15-3-2006 by DrBones666]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Now I know that Ballroom Dancing has become a 'sport', but wasn't aware that music had become one!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
ridcully

The Americans should have been eliminated by the Japanese had it not been for an obvious BS call against Japan.

Baseball is a sport unlike most others in which the smallest of errors can cost a heavily favored team a game. Bad location on one pitch or one bobble resulting in a fielding error is all it takes sometimes. We lost to Canada which if I'm not mistaken had only two players that were above AA. I may be wrong about that so don't hold me to it, but the fact remains that in baseball, literally, anything can happen, and it happens frequently.

So, and I'm probably taking a little liberty here, your saying you agree with the report I posted earlier in the thread (re, our football being the best sport because of the upset factor), AND it also makes baseball better than NFL for the same reason?!! ok, ok I know your not saying that, but I am!

The Americans never were the favored team, the Dominicans were. They have a lineup like no other and even they lost a game. Add on top of that the fact that most of these guys are still in the early stages of conditioning for the season ahead and you see why the results are the way they are.

BTW, everyone's having a meltdown here in Houston because our closer Brad Lidge, one of the most devastating pitchers in baseball, is not throwing well and they're blaming it on the WBC. I hate the whole concept and even if the Americans win nobody will care anyways. They should dump the whole thing.

Peace

So its being played during the normal baseball season? I didn't realise that, although I had wondered about it I must admit. Well, thats just stupid. A bit like the African Cup of Nations that was played a few weeks back. All the players there (I think), had to leave their clubs for upto a month in one of the most critical parts of the season. Ridiculous really, it should be played at the same time as the European cup IMO. I honestly don't think they should dump the WBC if thats the case, just move it to the off season. Shame no one will care either way though.
And surley it can't all be bad news in the Houston area? After all, Dynamo beat Chivas 2-1 last week. You should all be doing the congo!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Meh? Am I in the right room? I thought the discussion was about football?

*wanders out to check the sign*

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
People....American Football is played on the field with 2 sides ..offensive and defensive....so we have 4 sides playing at one time.....what a joke! Then they wear all this armour so they can't get hurt....again a joke!
I played Rugby League...not Union..all my life and as far as it goes it is the best game. No armour....no changing sides when the other has the ball...just pure guts,fitness and skill.Many NFL players have come out here to play League over the years and have been hammered within the first half...sustain injury and out for months. Of course they all shot their mouths off beforehand...and we all laughed as they were stretchered from the field...so as it goes if any of you yanks want to play a game for strength and fitness...then American Football is not it.Play league for 80mins and see how you fare afterwards...assuming you can get through it which I doubt.
Go those mighty Tigers !!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Meh? Am I in the right room? I thought the discussion was about football?

*wanders out to check the sign*

I think it's morphed into America bashing. Gotta love it!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
So its being played during the normal baseball season?

Actually no, the problem is that the WBC is supposed to be competitive baseball but they're playing it during spring training when the players are still trying to get in playing shape. That's why they have spring training and that's why it's a month long, although it's a month long more for the pitchers than the position players because it takes a while to get their arms in enough shape to pitch deep enough into games.

It either needs to be done during an extended all star break at the midpoint of the season or after the WORLD Series.

Originally posted by LostSailor
I think it's morphed into America bashing. Gotta love it!!!

Quite frankly I'm a little disappointed in my fellow American football fans' lack of support for the world's greatest sport!

We're outnumbered 20 to 1 in this thread by soccer hooligans.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Quite frankly I'm a little disappointed in my fellow American football fans' lack of support for the world's greatest sport!

I just think most Americans won't even stoop to the level of attempting to compare the great sport of football to 3rd world soccer. OoOoOoOoOoOoooooooh!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I believe the only truthful interesting point this thread has come up with yet is the conclusion that Australian Football, no matter which kind, is way tougher than american Football.

Face it, us Aussies are way harder than you guys.

:w::bash::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Yeah, sure sure - please

Every team in the NFL has at LEAST 2 or 3 guys who are that physically gifted.

Philly - Kearse, McNabb, Owens (at least for a few days)
Washington - Arrington, Taylor, Portis
New York - Osiminuera (spl?), Strahan, Shockey
Dallas - Ware, Williams, Johnson

Thats the NFC East - I can do the whole NFL if you'd like.

I thought it was because they'd keel over and collapse after 40 yards. I'd like to see anyone of them runn 110 yards in 10.8 seconds. Plaese don't make me laugh and say that's just another NFL player, your denials are strting to get old.

NFC South:

New Orleans - McAllister, Horn, McPherson (that's just from their Offense)
Carolina - Peppers, Morgan, Gamble (just their D)
Atlanta - Vick, Brooking, Hall
Tampa Bay - Rice, Brooks, Barber (just D)

I can keep going if you want.

Not sure why you keep on bringing up soocer, I do't even mention it. I assume it's because you find it the easiest ball sport to attack. Having a bit of trouble with rugby and AFL I see

No - I brought it up because the thread is about football and soccer... You know, it's what we here in America like to call "relevant to the topic."

Besides, I'm not just arguing with you my little confused sports fan - I have to reeducate all of Europe and South America.

LOL, it's because we rely on skill, not trying to knock out the other player GRUNT. NFL players are nothing more than gorillas GRUNT.

At least we cleared up the myth of "football players have no endurance."

BTW, why are you grunting?

Aha, sure keep on telling yourself that, GRUNT. You and your meathead firends are the only ones who'd believe that.

Now I'm a meathead?

Tell you what...

Send in your resume and school/college/what ever higher education you have here, and if you get in, I'll let you call me a meathead all you want.

No idea what MMA is - but gee he sounds like a thug GRUNT. Seems your idea of skill is how much damage a player can do to another. The actual skills of the game aren't that great.

Mixed Martial Arts. Basically Kick Boxing and wrestling combined.

This same guy has AMAZING hands - he can make circus catches as well as knock people out cold (has done it several times). His jump ball abillity, footwork in coverage, and hitting power are all world class. That's the point. Not only is this guy a genetic freak, and not only is he the most bad ass person you have ever heard of, but he has great "finess" skills as well.

Also aren't must college athletes dumb as s..t in the US.

only 2% of NCAA athletes ever go pro in their sport. The rest become every day workers. Yes, some are not the most intellegent people in the world (just like any group of people other then MENSA), but most are smart and hard working. I don't think most people understand how hard it is to be a college athlete in the US. You take classes like anyone else, but then you have 3 hours or what ever of practice every day. On top of that, most athletes (in football and basketball particularly) aren't wealthy at all, so they have to work a job too.

[edit on 16-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

The reason all you Americans think "Grid Iron" is such a great sport, is that you really only know about three or four sports. Football, Baseball, Basketball and Nascar.

Soccer is bigger here then football is in Europe, in so far as actually playing it. In fact, I would say today, more kids play soccer then football, because football requires so much (1000's in pads, more refs, more liability for leagues, greater physical maturity, etc).

[quoteFor instance, who is the current American Formula 1 driver ?

Who was the last American Formula 1 driver, and how many races did he win?

Who was the last American Formula 1 Champion?

Who was the last American Motorcycle World Champion ?

And who was the last European Lacrosse player? Who was the last MLL player? Who was the last European MLL champion? Who was the last Euro NLL player?

Yes, there were some, but if you only know about four sports, you can't even acknowledge your own champions in the many hundred of other sports. And if collectively you only know about four sports, then what else can one say, but GET A LIFE!

Both the US and Europe have Tennis, hockey (though of course the one team sport we share, we have far and away the best league), Golf (again, US dominated), squash (I don't play much my self, but it is fairly big in the US), track and field etc....

Nascar cancels formula 1. Football cancels soccer. Baseball - cricket. Drag racing - motorcycle racing. NASCAR - F1. Rugby - Bball.

We see all of your stuff (I know a lot of people who follow soccer, Rugby, and F1). Exactly what do you have that we Americans are missing? Exactly what sport do you have over us?

but baseball - well, I find it just great to cure insomnia! (A bit like cricket really!)

Most Americans would agree with you here

Have you ever wondered why the rest of the world doesn't play American Football, Baseball, Basketball or Nascar to any great extent ????

Probably because they require too much manliness, and the French protested.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I've been a colts fan for many years.. mainly because of Peyton. True sportsman and amazing athlete.

Edge signs with the Cardinals leaving the colts behind, which I think is alittle disrespectful to an organization that has done so much for him.

And then he's quoted in his press conference in saying, as long as I get the ball.. I'm happy.

for Edge and all of the other football players out their who put themselves over the team.

Except the Colts blew all of their money resigning Reggie Wayne.

It was the smart business move for the colts. Running backs only last untill their early 30's. Edge is like 28 years old. You don't throw 40 million dollars at a guy with 2 ACL injuries who will only last 2 or 3 years.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I have not followed this thread over the last few days, but you click on a football thread and walk into a fight over IRL racing.

What did I miss here?

The Euros are trying to change the thread subject because they know that soccer is inferior in every way to football.

They have been defeated, and are now trying to rally around another sport, ANY sport, they can.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I think that maybe why i prefer my game, you dont have to weigh 115kgs(small for american football you say) to be able to play the game at the highest level.Even the smallest guy at school right through to the biggest can dream of playing afl and make it no matter what size they are.Here are some stats below for the draft camp held each year for under 18's.

afl.com.au...

I should clarify about size, because positions are so specialized. Lineman in the NFL (5 always playing on offense, 4 on defense out of 11 players) would be in the 140 kilo range. Skill players (4 on O, 4 on D) would be around 100 Kilos. The rest would be in between 115 and 120 Kilos. So I guess you could say that 115 would be a little less then the average player.

Obviously the guys playing at the highest level in their mid 20's step those results up another notch.there are guys who can vertical leap more than a metre as in american football(btw do you call it gridiron or is that just us overseas).

Those numbers are impressive. Again though, the difference I would point out is in the size of players. It is one thing to be able to run/jump like that 90 Kilos. It is another to do it at 115 or more.

The term gridiron is a term to refer to the actual playing field, since every 10 yards in marked off.

It really is down to what you grow up with, youre obviously as fanatical re your sport as i am mine and impossible to compare apples with oranges.Still good to have a bit of friendly banter.

Agreed on both accounts.

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join