It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
He's the best player the All-blacks have, and he'd be just another athlete in the NFL.

Yeah, sure sure - please

40 yard dashes are used because they take into account acceleration, which is far more important in football then pure top end speed.

I thought it was because they'd keel over and collapse after 40 yards. I'd like to see anyone of them runn 110 yards in 10.8 seconds. Plaese don't make me laugh and say that's just another NFL player, your denials are strting to get old.

Just got done watching Chelsae and some other team (blanking on the name, they have Edgar Davids on their team now)... Soccer players spend just as much time standing around as football players do. The vast majority of time, it's 2 or 3 guys kicking a ball around in a triangle while everyone else watches. Then, once every 10 minutes, someone actually sprints towards the goal, and they call that "pace"...

Not sure why you keep on bringing up soocer, I do't even mention it. I assume it's because you find it the easiest ball sport to attack. Having a bit of trouble with rugby and AFL I see

You call that stamina? And don't get me started on rugby.
It's the same thing. You aren't even allowed to hit the other player in the open field if he doesn't have the ball!

LOL, it's because we rely on skill, not trying to knock out the other player GRUNT. NFL players are nothing more than gorillas GRUNT.

Again, football players actually require MORE mental abillity then any other athlete, but again, that's your own ignorance.

Aha, sure keep on telling yourself that, GRUNT. You and your meathead firends are the only ones who'd believe that.

BTW, I watched the US Rugby team play the French international team on TV, and the score wasn't nearly that bad. Are they a good Rugby team (honest question, no fishing here)?

NO.

Without if you like, considering he fights in MMA in the offseason. I'd reckon he could nock at least half of the rugby players in the world out cold on his first hit.

No idea what MMA is - but gee he sounds like a thug GRUNT. Seems your idea of skill is how much damage a player can do to another. The actual skills of the game aren't that great.

Also aren't must college athletes dumb as s..t in the US.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
ughhh.... steelers lost randle el to the skins

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The reason all you Americans think "Grid Iron" is such a great sport, is that you really only know about three or four sports. Football, Baseball, Basketball and Nascar.

For instance, who is the current American Formula 1 driver ?

Who was the last American Formula 1 driver, and how many races did he win?

Who was the last American Formula 1 Champion?

Who was the last American Motorcycle World Champion ?

Yes, there were some, but if you only know about four sports, you can't even acknowledge your own champions in the many hundred of other sports. And if collectively you only know about four sports, then what else can one say, but GET A LIFE!

Personally I quite like American football (with all the delays and gaps editted out) and prefer it to soccer (but wouldn't turn the TV on specifically to watch either of them), but baseball - well, I find it just great to cure insomnia! (A bit like cricket really!)

Have you ever wondered why the rest of the world doesn't play American Football, Baseball, Basketball or Nascar to any great extent ????

It's because we want the Americans to be able to win at something! So we let you play your own sports in peace, and without any competition from the rest of us, while we get on with the real World Sports.

Some unkind soul might even go as far as to suggest that the US invented those sports because they couldn't win at the existing ones.

But ultimately I would have to say that there is a certain appeal with American Football, for while the rest of the world's sporting fans can enjoy the international competition between countries engaged in one's favourite sport, I can think of nothing with more appeal than watching two teams of Americans beating the crap out of one another!
:shk:

[edit on 13/3/06 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
by the way, cricket is a much better and tougher game than baseball.

why do they need gloves (or whatever it is that u call it) to catch a ball in baseball. i can do it without the those gloves ne day, even at 3 in the morning, and i am not even good enuff to get in my college cricket team!

and whats with americans playing a game all by themselves and calling themselves world champions?

dont have the skill to play proper football. what do they do? invent american football

dont have the skill to play cricket. what do they do? invent baseball

arent good enuff to be in F1. what do they do? start nascar

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I've been a colts fan for many years.. mainly because of Peyton. True sportsman and amazing athlete.

Edge signs with the Cardinals leaving the colts behind, which I think is alittle disrespectful to an organization that has done so much for him.

And then he's quoted in his press conference in saying, as long as I get the ball.. I'm happy.

for Edge and all of the other football players out their who put themselves over the team.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by indiantoffee
arent good enuff to be in F1. what do they do? start nascar

Well, to play devils advocate they do have Indycar, which IMO, should get them forgiven for Nascar! For many years I prefered it to F1. And probably still would if it got the coverage over here that it deserves. Haven't seen it for many a year, but when it had the likes of Alex Zinardi (for my money he was up there with Senna when he was racing Indycar, man he was something to watch), and Brits like Franchitti (?sp) and Mark Blundell, it was great viewing. Easily up there with F1

Oh and BTW, new thread rules would probably dictate a yellow card at least for the rest of your posts. Just sayin........

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh, just noticed Franchitti's still racing in the series, nice one! And it should be mentioned that theres been many drivers who've swapped from indy to F1 and vice versa. Nigel Mansell and Jaques Villeneuve immediately spring to mind

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
ridcully Alex zanardi is still racing or was last season in the new world touring cars series he was driving a modified BMW 380i with a special hand operated clutch. takes some guts to get back in a racing car after what happend to him

[edit on 13-3-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Come, Come......

Remember that IRL was started 'to stop all those foreign drivers from winning' in CART. And that was a quote by the boss of the Indianapolis Speedway, friends. And now CART is just about dead and all those foreign drivers are winning in IRL! One point of note - only two drivers have gone from CART to F1 and been successful - Villenueve and Montoya (Montoya and Zinardi were both F1 test drivers before going to CART and even Zinardi didn't have what it takes in F1 and eventually went back to CART - Villeneuve was brought up in Europe and raced in Italy before going to CART). And the less said about Michael Andretti going into F1 the better. Mansell virtually retired to Indycar from F1.

Yes, it does take guts to do that, and I'm pleased to see he's still enjoying it.... but on the other hand (having raced cars myself) I can positively state that racing cars is a disease for which there is NO CURE. Once you do it, there is just no turning back.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have not followed this thread over the last few days, but you click on a football thread and walk into a fight over IRL racing.

What did I miss here?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I have not followed this thread over the last few days, but you click on a football thread and walk into a fight over IRL racing.

What did I miss here?

man we've been over cricket,baseball aussie rules football every thing I think wev'e broadend it to an american sport vs rest of world sport type thread

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well it did start out telling us that American football was sooooo much better than anything the rest of the world has !

oh, and something for our Thoreau lover.....

An efficient and valuable man does what he can,
whether the community pay him for it or not.
The inefficient offer their inefficiency to the highest bidder,
and are forever expecting to be put in office.
Henry David Thoreau.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't blame the Americans if they don't follow F1 though, I was a diehard fan for years but lost interest in the last few years, don't even know who won in Barhain yesterday, and we all remember what happend at Indianappolis last season,
what a farce that was, talk about alienating your market, way to go mr Ecclestone et al.

Give me the world super bikes and aussie v8 supercar series any day.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That was only one race, of course, and I can assure you that you missed a great race yesterday at Bahrain, and the start of a season that looks like it will be very close indeed.

If anyone judges a sport on just one encounter then they are only looking at it in a very shallow fashion. I think the point here is that as a marketting exercise, Red Bull has run a competition exlusively for Americans to get a seat in a F1 car - so that they can market F1 in the US. A matter of, if there is no Americans playing the game then Americans aren't interested. There is no guarantee, of course, because when the Americans were winning Motorcycle World Championships, nobody in America even knew about it.

Should I judge American football by one of the very one-sided Pro-Bowl games?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
That was only one race, of course, and I can assure you that you missed a great race yesterday at Bahrain, and the start of a season that looks like it will be very close indeed.

nah it lost me when they started messing with qualifying and pitstops etc the Indy incidant might not have happend had they been allowed to change tyres at pitstops.

lazy of me but who won and how did sauber do? are they called sauber ferrarai now ?

Also if you were an american who had just payed for your family to go to watch that race you wouldn't go back, did you se the interviews with the enraged fans I thought there was gona be a riot.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
ridcully Alex zanardi is still racing or was last season in the new world touring cars series he was driving a modified BMW 380i with a special hand operated clutch. takes some guts to get back in a racing car after what happend to him

Yes indeed, very inspiriational. Fantastic driver IMO

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
Come, Come......

Remember that IRL was started 'to stop all those foreign drivers from winning' in CART. And that was a quote by the boss of the Indianapolis Speedway, friends. And now CART is just about dead and all those foreign drivers are winning in IRL! One point of note - only two drivers have gone from CART to F1 and been successful - Villenueve and Montoya (Montoya and Zinardi were both F1 test drivers before going to CART and even Zinardi didn't have what it takes in F1 and eventually went back to CART - Villeneuve was brought up in Europe and raced in Italy before going to CART). And the less said about Michael Andretti going into F1 the better. Mansell virtually retired to Indycar from F1.

Yes, it does take guts to do that, and I'm pleased to see he's still enjoying it.... but on the other hand (having raced cars myself) I can positively state that racing cars is a disease for which there is NO CURE. Once you do it, there is just no turning back.

LOL well yes, your right. Although Zinardi did have a pretty crap drive while in F1. Williams was it IIRC? I think he would've done better in a better car. One thing I would also say, is that the fitness levels of F1 drivers (and other types of racing), are second to none. Widely regarded as the fitest sportsmen in the world

buckaroo I know what your saying but what I saw of qualifying and the race, it does seem to be getting back to its best. I'm certainly gonna take interest this season after 3 or 4 years of not bothering

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Sure, I agree with regard to having paid to see the race, but the problem actually rested with Michelin, who brought along a tyre that just wasn't safe.

Peter Sauber retired last year and sold the team to BMW. They didn't do too badly - mid-field. The movers this year are Renault, Ferrari, Honda (formerly BAR) and McLaren - strangely, the fastest lap of the race was put in by Nico Rosberg in a Williams even though the two Williams drivers finished sixth and seventh.

Alonzo won from Schumaker (by about a second) and Kimi (who came from rear of grid on a one-stop strategy), then Button, Montoya, Webber, Rosberg.

Zinardi, if I remember correctlt couldn't come to grips with the greater braking levels available in F1

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I was a goood enough football player in high school to be considered among the top 150 recruites in the US (at least before I blewout my knee). However, I played safety, which is one of the smallest positions in the game.

I was the small guy at that size. Of course timing means a lot when you get a free shot at someone, but when you are CONSTANTLY having guys of 150 kilograms running head first into each other (usually about 60 times a game) size DOES play a factor. In fact, it is a very important part of football "fitness"... Your body tends to wear down when you have guys of that size doing their best to up end you every 30 seconds.

That is the kind of difference I am trying to get non-Americans to consider... 115+ kilogram guys often play what we would consider "skill" (or small if you prefer) positions. These same guys are running 36.5 meters in 4.3 seconds, and have vertical jumps (both feet on the ground, no running start) of over a meter.

I did the conversions to give you all a sense of the type of athletes these guys are. Just picture a guy of that size, doing ALL of those things.

Ohhh yeah, kickers aren't football players. They're kickers.

I think that maybe why i prefer my game, you dont have to weigh 115kgs(small for american football you say) to be able to play the game at the highest level.Even the smallest guy at school right through to the biggest can dream of playing afl and make it no matter what size they are.Here are some stats below for the draft camp held each year for under 18's.

afl.com.au...

Obviously the guys playing at the highest level in their mid 20's step those results up another notch.there are guys who can vertical leap more than a metre as in american football(btw do you call it gridiron or is that just us overseas).

It really is down to what you grow up with, youre obviously as fanatical re your sport as i am mine and impossible to compare apples with oranges.Still good to have a bit of friendly banter.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully

buckaroo I know what your saying but what I saw of qualifying and the race, it does seem to be getting back to its best. I'm certainly gonna take interest this season after 3 or 4 years of not bothering

I know what your saying too,Its just that I miss the old days I suppose (when i say old i mean Mansell ,prost, Senna etc. even Berger and Hill)

Im sure ill drift in throughout the season, any one watch A1? I dont rate it myself.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A1 probably would have been better without the Irish commentary team and some more coordinated camera work. Some interesting results there though and quite a few reputations tarnished along the way.

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join