It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 43
0
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   



Rugby players don't wear pads and helmets because they don't need it. The tackling and hitting in rugby is different than in the NFL........trust me. Rugby's mainly a bunch of dudes trying to pile-on another dude, and then when that dude gets free from the pile he volleyballs it to some other dude 'til finally one of the dudes kicks it through a couple of posts.


Dr. Love...you truly are a muppet. I've seen your American football 'athletes', all 20 stone of fat, wander on the pitch, run...no sorry...meander into another fat knob, take a cheer from the fat crowd stuffing their chops with burgers, then wander off after an appearence of no more than 2 mins! Getting dressed like a schoolkid and trying your damndest to get on TV DOES NOT MAKE YOU GREAT FANS EITHER!!!!

Get real.




posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Nascar cancels formula 1.


AMM the laughs (and stretches) keep on coming but that tops them all. Nascar is a bunch of crap cars all with the same engine/frame/suspension, going round a big circle.
F1 (through not without its own problems) represents the very pinnacle of automotive technology and drivers. That's a fact. But that is another thread entirely



but baseball - well, I find it just great to cure insomnia! (A bit like cricket really!)


Agreed cricket and baseball can only be fun in one way. Going to a game and getting Hammered



On T.V. it is unbearable



posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Nascar cancels formula 1.


AMM the laughs (and stretches) keep on coming but that tops them all. Nascar is a bunch of crap cars all with the same engine/frame/suspension, going round a big circle.
F1 (through not without its own problems) represents the very pinnacle of automotive technology and drivers. That's a fact. But that is another thread entirely


My statement was in regards to the assertation that the US doesn't have as broad of a range of sports. When I say they cancel each other out, it is the sense that NASCAR represents our racing sport, and F1 represents Europes. It wasn't supposed to be in the sense that a NASCAR could race an F1 car on a race course and win.

THey are two completely different sports. They are alike only in that they both use cars.





Agreed cricket and baseball can only be fun in one way. Going to a game and getting Hammered






posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto



Rugby players don't wear pads and helmets because they don't need it. The tackling and hitting in rugby is different than in the NFL........trust me. Rugby's mainly a bunch of dudes trying to pile-on another dude, and then when that dude gets free from the pile he volleyballs it to some other dude 'til finally one of the dudes kicks it through a couple of posts.


Dr. Love...you truly are a muppet. I've seen your American football 'athletes', all 20 stone of fat, wander on the pitch, run...no sorry...meander into another fat knob, take a cheer from the fat crowd stuffing their chops with burgers, then wander off after an appearence of no more than 2 mins! Getting dressed like a schoolkid and trying your damndest to get on TV DOES NOT MAKE YOU GREAT FANS EITHER!!!!


1) He's right. The hitting in football is completely different from rugby. I've played both. I know. In rugby, you tackle by draging a person to the ground. It'sa bit like wrestling. Leverage is used. You tackle low. In football, you drive through the opponet, generally leading with a helmet or shoulder pads. The tackler does not need to worry about injury nearly as much because of the padding, and thus the reciever of the tackle takes a MUCH harder hit.

2) If by now you don't unerstand that football players are not the fat slobs you'd like to make them out to be, I fel you are hopelessly mentally challanged. Even most lineman are not fat, nd lineman make up only about 35% of the roster. The other 65% of the roster are as fit as could be, and represent the pinnacle of full contact sports athletes. There is no way you can call NFL running backs, wide recievers, linebackers, etc fat. They in general have under 10% body fat, and have olympic speed and strength.



posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I think that maybe why i prefer my game, you dont have to weigh 115kgs(small for american football you say) to be able to play the game at the highest level.Even the smallest guy at school right through to the biggest can dream of playing afl and make it no matter what size they are.Here are some stats below for the draft camp held each year for under 18's.

afl.com.au...


I should clarify about size, because positions are so specialized. Lineman in the NFL (5 always playing on offense, 4 on defense out of 11 players) would be in the 140 kilo range. Skill players (4 on O, 4 on D) would be around 100 Kilos. The rest would be in between 115 and 120 Kilos. So I guess you could say that 115 would be a little less then the average player.


What i was trying to point out is that most kids growing up here can aspire to playing at the highest level, but it seems that unless you are a certain size then you will not make it to the highest level in american football.That just makes the game seem a little bit elitest to me and out of reach for average and small sized kids and adults.
Is it seen that way in the US.
If i had a boy who showed some talent for a particular sport but ended up not being able to play at the highest level because he 'only' weighed 85kgs i reckon id be disappointed.

Cheers
M4S



posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   


The Euros are trying to change the thread subject because they know that soccer is inferior in every way to football.

You got to be kiding me
Ask any one from around the world, we dont even call it soccer, that is only there an invention of yours.
You mean football as the rest of the world calls it.

You are constient that AM football will never develope and grow biger than Regular football as we call it(the people of the planet)



:w::w: Uefa rules.


[edit on 17-3-2006 by pepsi78]



posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
What i was trying to point out is that most kids growing up here can aspire to playing at the highest level, but it seems that unless you are a certain size then you will not make it to the highest level in american football.That just makes the game seem a little bit elitest to me and out of reach for average and small sized kids and adults.
Is it seen that way in the US.
If i had a boy who showed some talent for a particular sport but ended up not being able to play at the highest level because he 'only' weighed 85kgs i reckon id be disappointed.

Cheers
M4S


Yes, size does play a significant part in football. Simply put, you HAVE to be a big guy to play most positions. Even the smallest guys in football are generally very heavy/muscular for their size. Running backs for instance can be onl 5 feet 8 inches tall, yet they would still be about 200 pounds. The only positions you can hope to play at an "average" humans size is wide reciever and defensive back. There are about 12 of these spots on a typical 53 man roster. Even then, most of the best wide recievers (like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, etc) are 6'3" and 220 pounds.

And yes, football is elitist... More then a bit actually. The level of athlete that is required is great. You have to have the whole package to play in the NFL. Size is one of the most important factors to consider in a prospect. Being undersized often give the opposition missmatches, which are exploited greatly in the NFL.

Average sized people can play, but they are few and far between, and are limited to only 2 or 3 positions.



posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
You got to be kiding me


Nope.

Soccer is an inferior sport to football. This has been proven in this thread.



posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by pepsi78
You got to be kiding me


Nope.

Soccer is an inferior sport to football. This has been proven in this thread.


At least we agree on this point, sports without any serious physical contact generally bore me. Mind you with Aust now playing in the world cup im sure soccer in this country is about to receive a real boost in support. But aussies love a physical contest so i dont believe that our major football codesieaussie rules, rugby- league and union, will suffer in the long run.



posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by pepsi78
You got to be kiding me


Nope.

Soccer is an inferior sport to football. This has been proven in this thread.


Passing
Pass with u'r knee. (cant do that in american footbal)
Pass with u'r ancle (cant do that in american football)
Pass with u'r head (cant do that in american football)
Pass with u;r chest (cant do that in american football)
Because the ball is round(a real ball)you can add efect to the ball, add exterior efect to the ball, add interior efect to the ball.(cant do that in american football)
Pass on the level of the ground.(in american football only pass above)
Already you got more things for a pass.
Now compare that to AM passing lol.
You forgot about skill lol

Pass from one touch (not possible in ameican football)

Time
No major interuptions free kicks will ususaly take less than a minute, no ads
(not in american football)


dribling
Drible in motion drible while not in motion(not posible in american football)
Drible with all parts of u'r feet, interior, exterior, front of the feet, now how do you drible with u'r hands? lol I would like to see that.
Drible with out holding the ball.
For dribling in this game I would have to add 10 pages.
Now show me not how but how many ways do you drible ?

I would say our game is more complex.
There are just varieties that are ofered by this game.



[edit on 18-3-2006 by pepsi78]



posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Look, you can't even touch a player in soccer who doesn't have the ball. That by it's self makes it inferior to football.

There are tons of different types of passes in the NFL, that are HARDER to complete then in soccer. You can throw a fade. You can throw a hitch. You can throw a screen. You can throw a slant. You can throw an out. You can throw an in. You can throw a post. You can throw a curl. I could go on and on. All of these passes rquire vastly different trajectories and bal speed.

And UNLIKE in soccer, the ball can't hit the freaking ground. If you lead the player too much, it's a bad pass. In soccer, the ball hits the ground, rolls forward, and the two jack asses run after it. And whats this bit in soccer about not being able to touch a player when they go up to get a 50/50 ball?

Then of course we could go into the VAST MAJORITY of skill required for football that are simply not allowed in soccer - such as blocking.

Face the facts, soccer is inferior in every way to football. There is a reason girls can play soccer and can not play football.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by American Mad Man]



posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Now I'm a meathead?


Tell you what...

Send in your resume and school/college/what ever higher education you have here, and if you get in, I'll let you call me a meathead all you want.


I'm sure with my qualifications it wouldn't be a problem to get in. Now where did yu hear about this place ? When Trump mentioned he went there on the Apprentice lol.

I really don't find business that exciting, which is after I completed my BComm, I decided to get a degree in Applied Physics. Both degrees at world renowned universities.

Now are you saying you go to the Wharton School of BUsiness ?



posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Look, you can't even touch a player in soccer who doesn't have the ball. That by it's self makes it inferior to football.

There are tons of different types of passes in the NFL, that are HARDER to complete then in soccer. You can throw a fade. You can throw a hitch. You can throw a screen. You can throw a slant. You can throw an out. You can throw an in. You can throw a post. You can throw a curl. I could go on and on. All of these passes rquire vastly different trajectories and bal speed.

And UNLIKE in soccer, the ball can't hit the freaking ground. If you lead the player too much, it's a bad pass. In soccer, the ball hits the ground, rolls forward, and the two jack asses run after it. And whats this bit in soccer about not being able to touch a player when they go up to get a 50/50 ball?

Then of course we could go into the VAST MAJORITY of skill required for football that are simply not allowed in soccer - such as blocking.

Face the facts, soccer is inferior in every way to football. There is a reason girls can play soccer and can not play football.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

You see , in the end their just diferent sports.
There are things you can do in american football and you cant do in football(soccer) and there are things you can do in football(soccer) that you cant do in american football.
It's just a diferent game.
The laws are diferent in every way.
If you want to compare american football with something compare it to rugby.
To say that american fotball is better than regular football is a no can do.
I'll just say how do you compare a circle with a sqare?
We can go on for months and argue and reach no result, the ball is diferent the rules are diferent the way the game is played is diferent.
Now tastes are not in to discussion, if you have taste for a sport and you like it more then it's okay by me.
Some one can say that basketball is the best game for him because he like's it.
Sports cant be better than eachother because some enjoy other sports better than others.
Where you can compare them is in the popularity to see how many likes football, basketball, skiing etc.
I could say is wow skiing or ski diving is a more demanding sport and it's better than all , or adrenaline sports, but that would be stupid, because others like something else.
Your trying to compare blondes with brunets, you can say I like blondes their the best and some one will come and say well brunets turn me on.
Thier 2 diferent games and each has things that you cant do what in other you cant.
You can talk about how many people likes to wach it and how popular it is, that you cant do.
I can come up with alot of things you cant do in american football, and you can come up with things that cant be done in regular football.
So let's see how many things can be done in american football and cant be done in regulat fotball.
You draw first, I wana see a list.
And then I will come with a list.
I'll prove you rong, so go on let's see.



[edit on 19-3-2006 by pepsi78]



posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Now are you saying you go to the Wharton School of BUsiness ?




If you're lucky, you can work for me some day.



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by rogue1
Now are you saying you go to the Wharton School of BUsiness ?




If you're lucky, you can work for me some day.


Sorry mate, my parents made me work at McDonalds when I was 15 for 6 months - to see how everyday people work. Not something I'll be doing again. I've moved on to far bigger and better things, money is no longer a concern for me, or for the rest of my life.


But hey, if your aspiration is manager of the local Mcdonalds, go for it. After all tyhere are many AF players who couldn't even aspirte to those grewat heights LOL.


So, I'll take your evasive response as a resounding NO - you don't go to the Wharton school of business, LOL. I'm sure your studying hard to get into it though
you're either born with brains or you aren't, studying maeks no difference


[edit on 20-3-2006 by rogue1]



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by Mcphisto




1) He's right. The hitting in football is completely different from rugby. I've played both. I know. In rugby, you tackle by draging a person to the ground. It'sa bit like wrestling. Leverage is used. You tackle low. In football, you drive through the opponet, generally leading with a helmet or shoulder pads. The tackler does not need to worry about injury nearly as much because of the padding, and thus the reciever of the tackle takes a MUCH harder hit.

2) If by now you don't unerstand that football players are not the fat slobs you'd like to make them out to be, I fel you are hopelessly mentally challanged. Even most lineman are not fat, nd lineman make up only about 35% of the roster. The other 65% of the roster are as fit as could be, and represent the pinnacle of full contact sports athletes. There is no way you can call NFL running backs, wide recievers, linebackers, etc fat. They in general have under 10% body fat, and have olympic speed and strength.


OK. So you think I am mentally challenged? First of all, for one, I too played rugby, from whence I first could walk, till 32yrs of age. I admit to never playing NFL style 'football' (I use the term loosely), as I did not want my friends thinking I was a queer!

Yes in rugby a tackle coming from behind is the usual, but only if that player your tackling is deemed as past you, otherwise a forward hit is the only way to stop the attacker, and as for leverage? Well I dont know how to apply leverage against a 16 stone man going full tilt, I used to hope for the best and no studs in the face, (its ok, you lot use helmets). Or, what you gonna do? Wait for him to pass and then chase him down??? You sure you played rugby?

Oh, and the reason you 'footballers' take those immense hits like rampant rhino's full of viagra is because you've got ankle to scalp body armour on! but as you say "generally leading with a helmet or shoulder pads". HELLO!

In a game of rugby you wear a gum-shield and if your a forward, a skull-cap. And thats to stop you getting a cauliflower ear from the break down of ear cartilage from scrummaging over the years.

Now coming back to the point of the fat players. Didnt you watch the Superbowl this year? I seen 10mins and I saw a fat lump waddle on! Or are you gonna call me a liar and make me trawl through the net to find the fat lump for you!? As for the other athelete's...I am sure they could run Olympic speeds. I am also pretty sure they have the same testosterone levels as many on-heat baboons! But of course, drug taking must be kept hush-hush (it is the National sport you know).

But what should I expect from a country that plays a World Series in a sport that contains only Americans! Your obviously so good at this sport that the rest of the world need not matter. You can pretend you knocked them out in earlier rounds I guess. So imagine my suprise when Canada whipped your ass'es! Oh the joy...A lucky break I hear...then the Mexicans I believe take the mickey outa you! More hilarity! (yep Baseball).

I must leave it there now.....Oh my angina!!!



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
totally messed the above up, by putting quotes in the wrong boxes. Too much wine!:w:



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Sorry mate, my parents made me work at McDonalds when I was 15 for 6 months - to see how everyday people work. Not something I'll be doing again.


What's an everyday person? Wait... How old are you now anyways?



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   


I check this thread daily to see what is the newest argument. I remember one day not that long ago this was actually a football thread.



posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I check this thread daily to see what is the newest argument. I remember one day not that long ago this was actually a football thread.



The debate has moved....





















Below the belt.


P.S. your new avatar gives me the heebee jeebees man...



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

log in

join