It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
If there's something that's absolutely out of discussion here is skills. The skills of AF are not even near to the ones of footaball.

Why is that? I'll agree with you they are different skills... That's all you have proven here. In fact... You can't prove to me or anyone here that one sport takes more skill than another.

No one here is so delusional as to try and say one sport takes more skill than another. That is all you. By your reasoning it sounds like you think a soccer player could start playing pro football at any point. Because... You know. He can control a ball with his feet.

Ooooooh... The mad skills..... Puleeese.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Yes, I forgot American's super DNA, which make them super athletes. I wonder why the most wealthy Football Clubs in Europe don't follow your plan. Their players would all be superstars!!!

Oh yes, I know why. Because the rest of the world is always wrong.

Hey man, just check out the summer olympics.

What country with their "superior" basketball playing athletes always loses? That's right, us, the USA. We lost to Greece or some crap like that.

By your logic, our bball players should trounce everyone, since of course we have the best athletes.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Man.. what a bunch of posing show ponies... [can you say nandrolone?]

Well, I just watched Chelsea dumped out of the Champions league, and I gotta tell you, it was one dull game. It makes me doubt my principles when something like this happens. Two of the best teams in the world go head to head, and it equals boredom. I guess now would be a good time to think back to the Champions League final '05. You see, I'm not saying all Football is great [still a damn site better than that yank trash mind...] but at it's best. It is absolutely exhilarating.

Originally posted by LostSailor
Ooooooh... The mad skills..... Puleeese.

Yeah right... Have a look at some of the things done by Ronnie and Messi tonight, and say that again.

:shk:

[edit on 7/3/06 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Why is that? I'll agree with you they are different skills... That's all you have proven here. In fact... You can't prove to me or anyone here that one sport takes more skill than another.

controling the ball with out holding it requiers much more skill I say it again.
Adding efect to the ball is a thing that you dont se in american football.
There is one way in american football to trow the ball , straight which means the ball does not cach efect.
You cant pass in american football from first toch you got to hold the ball first(dinamics)
And ohh yes "YOU CANT SHOOT"while in action.
It's much easyer to takle than to stop a shoot, block it(you have to block the ball not the player(ball samller than player lol)harder.
You can only grab the ball and trow it , can you pass with u'r elbow?can you pass with u'r sholder?can you pass with u'r reast?
Well???????!@@@!####@!??????
Skills for passing, part one.
Pass with u'r exterior part of the foot, passs with u'r interior part off the foot, pass with your ancle, pass with your front of the feet, each way is a difrent way and it adds a certain type of efect on the ball, pass low on the level of the grass pass high above.

Part 2
pass with u'r knees , pass with u'r head pass with u'r chest.
Shooting.

Shooting involves all of part one and the header from part 2.
It can also involve shooting the ball while you are in mid air with out toching the ground(the bicicle)

See there is already diversification for passing, it involves skill for all of them
as for shooting to score you have to stop the game in order to shoot.

I told you holding the ball and running with it in u'r arm does not even compare to doing it with out holding it.
You have to be a natural talent not every one can play football not every one got the feet for it.

you can use any component of u'r body exept the hands.
Why was the hand thing not alowed?, because it would make it too easy.
Controling the ball the easyest way is with u'r hands(as human nature gave us hands for doing things with it and handleling things with them)
So doing something with out u'r hands invlolves much than u'll ever think.
It invloves lot's of practice.
Make a experiment go with a friend and make him trow the ball for you to catch it from a longer distance, after that try stoping it with u'r feet, ohhh i forgot try stoping it with u'r interior part of the feet with exterior of the feet
and with all parts of the feet they all are as skill and have to be practiced separate.
You will see has the ball travels from great distance that it will jump off u'r feet like it does not know you.
Much easyer grabing it with u'r hands aaa?

[edit on 7-3-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Hey man, just check out the summer olympics.

What country wins just about every track and field event? What country wins just about every sprinting event? What country owns the most world records in running/sprinting/jumping events? [/endquote]

This data has been around for awhile but maybe you havent seen it. Here are Medal counts by Pop. from Athens 2004. Add up the Pop of Europe and U.S. Then start doing a medal count. How informative!!!

abs.gov.au...@.nsf/57a31759b55dc970ca2568a1002477b6/be9f47591541e29eca256ef40004f25a!OpenDocument

I think a lot of these guys would drive the ball a hell of a lot farther then Woods, and I am sure that several of them would be better golfers had they grown up playing golf like Tiger Woods. [/endquote]

This is so absurd to me I dont know where to start. I get the fact that you like American football a lot but how can "a lot" of these guys be better than quite possibly the BEST PERSON ever to play the game of golf. Golf takes and amazing skill set and mental ability however, being extremly big and strong are not necessary.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion... But frankly it is more or less agreed on in sports circles that basketball players are the best athletes. No other sport requires the size, speed, skill, raw athleticism, and endurance that Bball does.[/endquote]

What sport circles are you refering to? More or less agreed by whom? Basketball requires stamina and unique shooting skills but so does every other ball game. Espn ranks boxing first, Hockey second,

Personally I think these studies are totally worthless but thought I'd show some experts who disagree

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yes!!! Pepsi is back... You made me smile tonight my man. I love reading your posts.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
'There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!' yeah, but who really cares??

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   

You can't even compare the skills needed to play American Football and Football. It's so much easy to control the ball with your hands than with your feet.

Assuming there is no outside influence, I'd agree with you.

However, when a guy like Brian Dawkins is being paid to knock you out ever time you attempt to catch the ball, it becomes just as difficult, if not more so.

It's harder to fake a defender while controlling the ball with your feet than while you are carrying it in your armpit.

But it's harder to break an NFL tackle then it is a soccer tackle. Not even close on this one.

It's harder to score by kicking inside the goal than crossing a line with the ball in your hands.

It's harder to be able to be able to throw an accurate 60 yard pass and still be able to 'fake a defender' then it is to have good soccer skills.

It's harder to be a compitent NFL running back, and be able to run, catch, and block well then it is to have good soccer skills.

It's harder to be a Line Backer, and be able to tackle reliably, shed blocks, and drop into coverage then it is to have good socer skills.

It's harder to steal the ball from other player when you can't just jump on him.

You are completely wrong on this one. In football, the ball is stolen maybe 5 total times (both teams combined) a game - and that in a sloppy game.

If there's something that's absolutely out of discussion here is skills. The skills of AF are not even near to the ones of footaball.

A running back or wuarter back requires more skill then a soccer player, and it really isn't even close.

I play both sports. I know.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
What country with their "superior" basketball playing athletes always loses? That's right, us, the USA. We lost to Greece or some crap like that.

By your logic, our bball players should trounce everyone, since of course we have the best athletes.

The key difference being that our players only got a few weeks to work together while other national teams play together year round.

Watch what happens this Olympics now that we are going to field a team year round.

Plus we didn't even bring our best players. I didn't see Shaq, Duncan, etc playing.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Man.. what a bunch of posing show ponies...

When you are that good, you can do what you want.

Well, I just watched Chelsea dumped out of the Champions league, and I gotta tell you, it was one dull game. It makes me doubt my principles when something like this happens. Two of the best teams in the world go head to head, and it equals boredom. I guess now would be a good time to think back to the Champions League final '05. You see, I'm not saying all Football is great [still a damn site better than that yank trash mind...] but at it's best. It is absolutely exhilarating.

This was the best. And that game stunk. I was all excited to see Mr. Amazing super skills Ronaldinho go against the best team that money could buy.

What did I get? I got a game so exciting I switched to womens collegiate basketball!

I switched back after half time to see if maybe it was any better (no, of course).

Some defender whiffs by pocking his leg at the ball (kind of reminded me of an ungracefull ballarena) Ronaldinho trips but manages to score inspite of himself and the pathetically easy to save shot.

Then, we get a little excitment on a phantom call where one defenders shoe lace grazed another players sock. You get a penalty shot for that? My under 35 indoor league is more exciting and more physical then that trash. Litterally.

We get 5 or so goals a side. Bicycle kicks, diving headers, 1 on 1 moves like step overs... The whole bit.

I'll send you guys some tapes if you want to see what soccer SHOULD be like. You know, where passes are completed and you actually score. Where a shoe lace grazing a shin isn't a foul.

Yeah right... Have a look at some of the things done by Ronnie and Messi tonight, and say that again.

Yawn...

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
This data has been around for awhile but maybe you havent seen it. Here are Medal counts by Pop. from Athens 2004. Add up the Pop of Europe and U.S.

The fact that you need a continent to compare to the US speaks volumes.

This is so absurd to me I dont know where to start. I get the fact that you like American football a lot but how can "a lot" of these guys be better than quite possibly the BEST PERSON ever to play the game of golf. Golf takes and amazing skill set and mental ability however, being extremly big and strong are not necessary.

Tigers strength is in large part his driving abillity, would you not agree?

The skills and touch required are amazing.

However, if you took a pool of NFL players from birth and made them play golf like Tiger did, I have no doubt that some would be better.

What sport circles are you refering to? More or less agreed by whom?

Actual athletes. Guys who play sports at a high level. ESPN is a bunch of pocket protector wunna be's. You ask guys in MLB, they'll tell you the NBA has the best athletes. You talk to NFL players, they'll tell you that the NBA has the best athletes.

All you need to do is look at the guys who played both sports. Given the choice, they always go to Bball. Labron James is a perfect example. He was so good that Miami was willing to let him play one year and start at wide reciever. He of course played bball.

There isn't a guy in the NHL with his athleticism. Not a single one. He'd be the tallest guy in the league, weigh nearly as much as anyone, be by far the quickest guy, have the best jumping abillity, etc etc etc.

That isn't to down grade NHL players. Hockey takes a hell of a lot of skill (a hell of a lot more then soccer does) and a ton of fitness. But no sport requires the raw athleticism to play basket ball. It's just the way things are.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who does not like the NBA all that much. I'd much rather go see my Flyers play while sitting in my friends wachovia super box.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
American mad man why dont you answer my last post mean while I will get
another bunchof skills for you, I just have to make them look nice on the paper, so you can see that it requiers much more skill.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
there is only one sport called football. the one we invented and called football. the one with a ball. the one where you use your feet. i sugest egg-throwing or pussy boy egg sport 5000 as a suitable name for your pass time. do you not think the fact that pretty much no one else in the world is interested in playing your sport shows how rubbish it is. also why do they wear more armour than your soldiers, i thought it was a man's game. try playing rugby if you want a propper tough sport. i also heard that your mommy's wont let you head the ball on medical grounds. pussy pussy pussy

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I love how the same argument just gets thrown in here over and over again by new entrants to the conversation. Go back and read a bit before posting the same that has been argued for about 10 pages now my man. Gah....

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I love how the same argument just gets thrown in here over and over again by new entrants to the conversation. Go back and read a bit before posting the same that has been argued for about 10 pages now my man. Gah....

Gotta hand it to the guy though... He makes some good points...

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
He makes the same points that have been said a million times though. You could click on any page in this thread and read the same argument knocking American football.

Lets all hold our breath and wait for something original to speak out against it.

Calling them p*ss*.. I see that being warned so I will save the mod from having to edit my post, I would love to see a soccer player come head to head with a linebacker, or a running back in the NFL.

Have you guys read about some of the workouts they do.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com... dia/photo_gallery/2005/08/03/gallery.bestworkouts/content.1.html

Start their and roll through the pages..

Love to see some of you guys do that.

Next time make a valid point or we'll red card you and send you packing.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Congratulations, you started out by having a go at people being repetitive and then bring up the "superior" physical aspect of wankball, something which has been raised consistently all throughout this thread. What don't you understand? Just because you have to be some doped up knuckle head to play the game doesn't instantly make it great. Watch some hi-lights from the Barcelona Chelsea game last night. Check out some of Ronaldinho's tricks. I'd love to see you do that.

[edit on 8/3/06 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Next time make a valid point or we'll red card you and send you packing.

Excellent idea! I propose Dr Love, as the thread starter, be given the job as thread referee! And I'm sure the good doctor could be trusted to give unbiased decisions!!

If not, we'll have to get Pierluigi Collina on y'all! ha

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I have been posting alittle bit in the early stages of this thread, and I have been vocal on both sides. I appreciate both sports and respect all athletes involved.

The miles a soccer player runs in a game is extraordinary, and the footwork they display is second to none.

But when I read posts of the American football being knocked and called what they are being called, its absolutely ridiculous.

These guys are no less of athletes than anyone, same goes for the soccer players your defending.

The two sports are completely different, strength is more of a factor in American football, where endurance and agility is required for you's. This is also a big factor for some positions in American football, but its not an essential for all positions.

Both sides deserve respect, and these new guys that come in and post ridiculous comments boil my blood.

My purpose of that post was in defense of the comments that they are weak.

ed: typo

[edit on 8-3-2006 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Excellent idea! I propose Dr Love, as the thread starter, be given the job as thread referee! And I'm sure the good doctor could be trusted to give unbiased decisions!!

I'm trying to join in but I'm all smacked out. I ran out of freakin' material.

Like has been mentioned on this page already, the same stuff is getting rehashed over and over. How many different ways can a person say "soccer sucks".

BTW, just in case any of you were losing sleep over the new Houston soccer franchise's name, 1836, you'll be happy to know that they have changed the name to Dynamo. Still pretty cheesy but it's better than a freakin' date.

Look, it's the lead singer from Midnight Oil.

Peace

edit: The formatting of this thread is still effed up. I think some soccer hooligans were involved. It's like a cyber-urine bomb. Don't you guys ever take a break?

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Dr Love]

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join