It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...

I was reading the above thread and I started getting hot!!

You play "soccer" and we play "football". The reason you play "soccer" is because there's no action at all. Just a bunch of dudes running back and forth. Not real exciting!! I don't care how many billion people watch "soccer". That tells me there's a billion people that don't know any better.

When our guys get hurt it's because some guy cracked them upside the head for being man enough to go over the middle, not because some little girl tripped them. "Wankball"???? Tripping is for wankers.

We have Montana, Marino, Brown, Payton, Favre, Taylor, Rice. My list can go on and on. Who you got? Pele? Beckham? Beckham couldn't survive one game in the NFL unless he was a placekicker or punter.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have to agree with the Brits on this one, except for the wankball remark. Most soccer players who dare to go onto an American football field are field goal kickers who, while essential in their duties, have more regulatory protections than a Tennessee snail darter.

But, the fact is that American football is descended from rugby and the name is highly misleading since the only time a foot ever touches the ball is for punting and field goals, two tasks carried out by players who are so highly specialized that their time in action can be measured in seconds.

And I do agree that soccer is almost as exciting as chess.

[edit on 2005/12/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think that which sport you prefer is down to familiarity and affinity.

You are familiar and enthusiastic about American Footbal but not Association Football. When you watch Association Football you see a bunch of men running back and fourth kicking a ball around. When you watch American Footbal you see a sport you know and love, with all its characters, tactics and skills.

I'm familiar and enthusiastic about Association footbal but not with American Football. When I see American Football, I see some bloke chucking a ball to another bloke while everyone else on the pitch runs into each other. When I see Association Football, I see a game I know and love, with all its characters, tactics and skills.

I will happily concede though that recently, in association football, sportsmanship, fairplay and physicality have taken a back seat to fussy reffereeing, gamesmanship, and tripping/diving type foul play - whcih isn't really good for the sport.

A better sport for comparrison with American Football would be Rugby Football. Its still a real man's game, the players are tough and would certainly give American Footballers a run for their money. Actually, rugby fans claim their sport is far superior as it can be rougher, and the players generally wear no protection.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Oh and another thing.....when there's more action in the stands than in the game, that's whack!!! Throwing bags of urine and trampling people and killing people is not my idea of sportsmanship. We keep it on the field...............for the most part.

How in the hell do people get so excited about dudes running to and fro'?:w:

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I don't give a rat's patootie about any sport anymore and certainly not enough to shell out the cash it takes to go to games and buy all that junk that goes along with it. On any US professional team the players have nothing at all to do with the city in which the team is headquartered and in college sports it's even worse. Most college high-profile sports players can only jokingly be called students. There are, of course, exceptions, but overall, they're just there for the ride.

[edit on 2005/12/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think soccer should be called FootBall, cause it totally is foot ball, no hands involved

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
when it come to "football" sports, nothing comes close to aussie rules.

first no one wears any protection what so ever

im sure it needs a whole heap more skill then american football
prehaps even with soccer in skill level.

but it needs a whole lot more fitness, with the majority of midfeild players running 15 km in a game, with 20 not unheard of.

i doubt any of you players would have the ability to pull of a one handed speckie, or even come close.

and there is no set positions either, no offside.
the play can go anywhere, at any time.

american football i would rate simpler then rugby

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
american football would be good if it didnt take them 20 minutes between plays. and if john madden didnt say boom every 2 minutes.

canadian football is better.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Beckham couldn't survive one game in the NFL unless he was a placekicker or punter.:

How typical an American reaction is that? Define your game by how hard two knuckleheads crack their empty skulls together. Never mind, You may as a people lack the sophistication to enjoy the poetry that is football, but the rest of the world gets by just fine without you.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is a meanigless arguement. I love watching both, they both have great sapects and some not so great aspets. I think it is VERY important that before anyone chimes in how the other is lame trust me you probably wouldn't be saying this if you grew up playing and watching said sport.

Foot=foot
Ball=ball
which sport would naturally called football, hmm, not a tough one.

American Football: I love it (GO CHARGERS!!!) cause I grew up playing it and watching it but have lived abroad in football nations and understand it is way too complicated and not a pure sport, if you didnt grow up with it would seem alien. Stopping and starting, commercial breaks, instant replay, constantly changing rules, etc. Think of it as a chess match, a game of strategy. And yes they wear pads, I could see peolple saying that is weak but the hits, oh the hits!!!

Football: The worlds largest sport, anyone can play it dont need to be rich and wear expensive gear. IMO the purest form of sport (besides maybe boxing,UFC, etc) a ball and two nets. The best things in life seem simple at first but are endlessly complex. The fact that it is played in the world stage Aussie Rules, American Football not in any way world sports. Football is the worlds universal language and equalizer. Cultures play football based on their cultural aspect, there view on life, this is so fascinating.

I could go on for pages but its getting late here. I havent comented on the other footballs and rugby league, union because havent watched enough to give a decent opinion. But Aussie rules, Rules! Except for those shorts, what is up with that?

Trying like a madman to get World Cup 2006 tickets and it is hard as hell but you never know.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I like watching American football for the strong men in tight pants. I like seeing them tackle each others, and piling up on top of one another, hands running down there trying to grab the ball.

HAHA!! Sorry for the disturbing mental picture. Too bad you cannot unthink your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think they're both godawfully boring

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm not really into (ENGLISH) football, but IMHO, American "Football" sucks. I watched it once and man, it's crap!

PLAYER: Runs with ball (Even tho its not even a ball! Its like a rubber egg!)
PLAYER: Gets tackled
GAME: Slows down
...repeat...

It shouldn't even be called Football! It's obviously mainly played using hands! = Handball...? Crapball...?

Whats with the stupid team names? *Insert place name here/insert animal here* it sounds so stupid.

Granted, David Beckham wouldnt leave the "field" alive... but that's cause he has an IQ of an amoeba.

Why don't you guys play some rugby and stop being pussies who wear protection?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Only in the National Football League, will you find Raider Nation!

Or how about the people from Section 13 at the old Veterans Stadium?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There is nothing sweeter than watching Wayne Rooney turn defenders into marshmallows and cracking in his tradmark blasts. Of course, it's hard to beat Ryan Giggs all time wonder goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, now THAT is art in sport.

And who could forget Eric "Le King" Cantona? They just don't make characters like that in any other sport.

Football will never die, at least not while Manchester United are around

I do however enjoy the odd game of Madden on the Playstation....but after awhile it get's very predictable, and the "plays" get tiresome. Football has much more creativity and style

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Why don't you guys play some rugby and stop being pussies who wear protection?

Rugby players don't wear pads and helmets because they don't need it. The tackling and hitting in rugby is different than in the NFL........trust me. Rugby's mainly a bunch of dudes trying to pile-on another dude, and then when that dude gets free from the pile he volleyballs it to some other dude 'til finally one of the dudes kicks it through a couple of posts. At least that's what I got from the thirty seconds of rugby I've watched in my lifetime.
One thing rugby has going for it is that it's about a hundred times more exciting than soccer.

I'd like to see the numbers of paralyzed players that there are in rugby, grade school through professional, compared to the number of American football players paralyzed.............even killed.

Oh, and something else about soccer that bugs the hell out of me, what's with all the players that have a one word name?

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Any game played with a ball is a GAME. There is only one SPORT. Boxing and it's other fighting, man on man offshoots. Professional wrestling is pretty but it's acrobatics. Just my opinion and we all know the opinion cliche.

peace

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I agree american football is better than soccer but rugy is much more physical than american footbal the players dont get 20 min breaks in rugby

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Oh, and something else about soccer that bugs the hell out of me, what's with all the players that have a one word name?
Peace

Those players are Brazilian.

Here's why
"Legend has it that when soccer was first played in Brazil, people from the upper class wanted to play, but they did not want to be associated with a sport being played by the lower class. So they took on nicknames, mostly English last names to disguise their identity. The tradition eventually caught on, and now it has extended to women's soccer as well (Sissi, Formiga, Daniela). Most Brazilian players are known professionally by one name, but regular Brazilian citizens go by their first and last names. For instance, Brazil's head coach is Carlos Alberto Parreira. Some athletes in other Brazilian sports such are known by one name like the Denver Nuggets' Maybyner Rodney Hilario or Nene. Auto racing star Helio Castro-Neves goes by his real name.

Most Brazilian players are known professionally by either a nickname, or one or more names extracted from their full names. Often the nickname is a diminutive (ending in "inho" or "zinho" meaning little) or an augmentative (ending in "ão" or "zão") of the first name. Pele's real name is Edson Arantes Do Nascimento. Ronaldo de Assis Moreira is Ronaldinho while not to be confused with Ronaldo who is Ronaldo Luiz Nazario da Lima."

Dont want make assumptions but not sure that you grasp the massive culutral signifigance of Football. Im not a sports freak as I think playing sports is better than watching them but footlball is Huge. Instead of thinking that the vast majority of the planet are silly for watching it, look at the game through an open perspective. Play Madden, then FIFA or another "soccer" vid game and tell which one is more fun, trust its the "soccer" game. Non-stop action no resting for a commercial break.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Football, or what you American blokes call it "soccer" is the ultimate game of skill, tactics and heart. You guys can have all the American Football you want, but I will stick with the good original. I was raised on it. I played it everyday when I was at school. I wasn't any good though. But it didn't matter. I enjoyed it. I tried watching NFL stuff. And some of it was quite cool. But what is with the 20 minute breaks? I fell asleep watching Superbowl, because they took too long.
Tactics and stuff must be way more complex then what they ever showed on that Adam Sandler film, The Waterboy. Anyway, football for me, will always be soccer to you.
I just rememebered watching a video of a rival coach of a pee-wee American Football team knocking one of the kids down when he was clear through for a touchdown.
That cracks me up.

from a Scottish Celtic Fan. Hail hail!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join