It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
David Beckham

vs.

Ray Lewis

But on second thought, Mr. Beckham might get a little taste of a Nickel Defense!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Okay, if it has to resort to Machoism:

Kenao would have ANY American Football player for breakfast, he'd be breaking legs before you can say "Hut!"

The mans a legend

All in good humour of course......

but he would have them for breakfast

[edit on 5-12-2005 by chebob]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
How about we put him up against someone like a Jerome Bettis? Or, maybe we could make him be a bench warmer.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
How about we put him up against someone like a Jerome Bettis? Or, maybe we could make him be a bench warmer.

I repeat, it'll always be a David and Goliath situation, the legend that is Roy Keane would be chewing their leg bones after he's snapped them off.

When Keane gets
others get

The likes of Beckham are a different breed, to the pure Irish energy that is KEANO

Right that's enough "bigging up" from me, we all know that the UK members prefer football, the American members in general prefer "That Other Kind of Football, with the hands instead of feet".

And we all know which is really better

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Now this is a mans sport!!!!

and these guys will take down an entire soccer team baby!!!

[edit on 6-12-2005 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

David Beckham

vs.

Ray Lewis

But on second thought, Mr. Beckham might get a little taste of a Nickel Defense!

I thought this thread was about the actual SPORT/GAME not the f'ing players...

Like I said before, Beckham would probably get beaten up by a 2 year old. Roy Keane, on the other hand, would slaughter everybody.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

You play "soccer" and we play "football". The reason you play "soccer" is because there's no action at all. Just a bunch of dudes running back and forth. Not real exciting!! I don't care how many billion people watch "soccer". That tells me there's a billion people that don't know any better.

No, we play Association Football, which can also be shortened to Soccer for you nuckle draggers. As for action, well, if you count 'action' as placing a line of men in amour and tights, who then run at each other head first (great idea), then fall down for 5 minutes while their steroid pumped bodies recover as 'action', then go for your life. And I think those few billion people who are looking forward to next years World cup (a proper world cup as well, with more than just one country competing, not just something with 'world series' or somesuch tacked on), know perfectly well what else is on offer and prefer to stick with the best

We have Montana, Marino, Brown, Payton, Favre, Taylor, Rice. My list can go on and on. Who you got? Pele? Beckham? Beckham couldn't survive one game in the NFL unless he was a placekicker or punter.

You have who, who and who? and who? No ones ever heard of them outside the USA. I tell you what, name one player from each national team thats playing in the next American Football World Cup. And Pele retired 30 odd years ago. Beckhams an average player but world class attention whore. Now, shall I list 'who we got' by the team they play for week in week out? the country they play in? or nation they represent? hell, lets go for it and name them by continent eh?

I'd like to see the numbers of paralyzed players that there are in rugby, grade school through professional, compared to the number of American football players paralyzed.............even killed.

Oh, so now your saying your sport is better because of the amount of players who've been paralysed? or killed? way to go! well Im converted! Suddenly I feel the compulsion to watch a game so mind numbingly boring it requires dancing girls in short skirts, a souzafone band and commercial breaks every 15 seconds to help get people through the 4 hours the game takes to play!
Oh and BTW, don't ever try to compare armoured wankball to Rugby. You'll always, always lose

[edit on 6-12-2005 by ridcully]

[edit on 6-12-2005 by ridcully]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Dr Love please do be quiet you obviously no nothing about sports other than your precious "American Football" Which for some strange reason the rest of the world really doesn't care about - strange that isn't it?

Football will always be known as football to everyone except for in the USA - Is it coz they're no good at this sport? They have to have their own version which they hardly use their feet to kick the ball anyway? makes no sense to me?

I could go on with Baseball aswell ....

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
I could go on with Baseball aswell ....

Or Rounders as it is called in girls schools all over the UK.

[edit on 6/12/05 by Implosion]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
People!!! your still not addressing the fact of which of the 5 codes take more overall ability i guess you could say to play.

For my vote i dont think you can argue aussie rules needs the equal amount of skill as soccer, and a hell of a lot more then rugby and american football.

As for athletic ability, it is very clear aussie rules requires the most of its players. they must be able to run, tackle, jump, kick, everything.
not one of the other games combines all these elements for every position on the ground.

i cant find any linkable numbers for km covered in a typical game for aussie rules, but here are some for soccer. well i cant link it either, but the higest i seen for soccer was 11 km a game.

i cant put a link to it, but i know that quite often midfeild players in aussie rules run more then 15 km, maybe 20 per game.

aussie rules also requires players to be profeicent in tackling

and hand skill, and foot skills.

not one of these other games demands this of each and every player.

there fore, aussie rules must be the best game, or at least the best in terms of athletisism.

also id say it would be the best to watch, as the gameplay is fast and fluid, more so the any other game.
there is no offside and it is a bit easyer to score, so you dont get bored waiting for a 0-0 draw toplay out.

there is plenty of contact, so you dont get bored atching people NOT hit each other.

plus there is much more possibility for freakish shows of co-ordination and corage then the other games.

in american football you never see players stand on others shoulders, taking a one handed catch over the heads of the pack of players.

you dont see some one jump 1.5 meters vertical off the ground, catch the ball in the goal square, and kick it through for 6 before he hits the ground.

soccer you do get to see some pretty amazing foot movment though. i'll give them that.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There is one thing that American football has over yours. That is when it is raining or snowing, we actually play in it!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

There is one thing that American football has over yours. That is when it is raining or snowing, we actually play in it!

You don't think that Football gets played in the rain or snow? Let me assure you it does. How could a game that has a season in the winter in the UK not get played in the rain or snow? :bnghd:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Now thats funny, don't a lot of stadiums over there have retractable roofs so your helmets don't go rusty?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
well it doesnt snow hear, but i have only ever seen a game of fotty called off when lightning was sticking right next to the ground.

we played through hailstones, mud up to you ankles, times when its so wet the ball can float in some spots. and we have to get right down in it on hands and knees, scrambling for a slippery ball with cold hands in a forest of shoes with sprigs on the bottom

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is a non-argument. You're overlooking the best, roughest, toughest game around. Of course, I could only be referring to -

43 Man Squamish! (click on the pages to make it legible)

2nd place would be that game they play in the middle east on horseback where they drag around the sand filled goat carcass. Some sort of madcap equestrian croquet with no time out for deaths.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
You have who, who and who? and who?

That made me piss in my pants laughing!

Oh, so now your saying your sport is better because of the amount of players who've been paralysed? or killed? way to go! well Im converted! Suddenly I feel the compulsion to watch a game so mind numbingly boring it requires dancing girls in short skirts, a souzafone band and commercial breaks every 15 seconds to help get people through the 4 hours the game takes to play!
Oh and BTW, don't ever try to compare armoured wankball to Rugby. You'll always, always lose.

I brought up the issue of paralysis to try to explain why our American football players need the protection. If it was played with no "armour" as you call it, dudes would be taken off the field by Life Flight damn near every game. The media in America puts such an emphasis on violent hits. They make videos of nothing but violent hits. Kids are taught from an early age to try and make the highlight hit. It's those kinds of hits that end careers. The overall tackling skills of our game has diminished over time because good tackling doesn't make the highlight reel. There's no doubt that rugby players in general are better tacklers than American football players. Our game is supposed to be a game of good tackling. It's a fundamental part of our game that has been lost over time. Just the same kind of lack of fundamentals that has allowed the rest of the world to catch up with our game of basketball.

DodgeG1 and Implosion

Don't make me break out the can of baseball whooparse!!

You play cricket, a bunch of dudes in Navy uniforms bouncing balls and swinging paddles. We hit our balls with round bats which is much harder. We have pitchers throwing gas. Your guys bounce the ball. What the hell's up with that?

tiddly54

Talk about your Aussie athletes all you want. I would agree with you that they are fine athletes, but not one of your players could compare to the likes of American athletes as far as athletic ability. Take a guy like Michael Vick for instance. If he were to cut loose on your field no one would be able to lay a hand on him. You'd zig, he'd zag. It would be like a cartoon. All your players would be running in to each other. They would be so distraught at the talent gap that they'd give up the game and become soccer players.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

You have who, who and who? and who?

That made me piss in my pants laughing!

lol glad you liked it chap

I brought up the issue of paralysis to try to explain why our American football players need the protection. If it was played with no "armour" as you call it, dudes would be taken off the field by Life Flight damn near every game. The media in America puts such an emphasis on violent hits. They make videos of nothing but violent hits. Kids are taught from an early age to try and make the highlight hit. It's those kinds of hits that end careers. The overall tackling skills of our game has diminished over time because good tackling doesn't make the highlight reel. There's no doubt that rugby players in general are better tacklers than American football players. Our game is supposed to be a game of good tackling. It's a fundamental part of our game that has been lost over time. Just the same kind of lack of fundamentals that has allowed the rest of the world to catch up with our game of basketball.

Oh right, fair play. Its the same with us and the 'grass diving' thats so prevelant in the game now. The real hard tackling of yesteryear is nothing but a fond memory now really.

DodgeG1 and Implosion

Don't make me break out the can of baseball whooparse!!

You play cricket, a bunch of dudes in Navy uniforms bouncing balls and swinging paddles. We hit our balls with round bats which is much harder. We have pitchers throwing gas. Your guys bounce the ball. What the hell's up with that?

Yes you hit with round bats, which is harder Ill grant you. But, Cricket is played in the centre of the pitch, rather than in a corner, which means the ball has to be placed in a 360 degrees area, rather than just whacked as in Baseball. Hence the wider bat. As for the bouncing while bowling, I don't know why that is. Suffice to say it doesn't slow the ball and may even make it go faster. Also, when the ball hits the ground, you don't know exactly which way its going to go on the bounce. Especially with some of the top spin bowlers

They would be so distraught at the talent gap that they'd give up the game and become soccer players.

Peace

Hey come on theres no need for that! OK perhaps there is! lol

I tell you what, I love these soccer/NFL/Aussie Rules fights! I gained my love for them over on fark, and guess what? Theres going on right now! Enjoy

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

TextThere is nothing sweeter than watching Wayne Rooney turn defenders into marshmallows and cracking in his tradmark blasts. Of course, it's hard to beat Ryan Giggs all time wonder goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, now THAT is art in sport.

DUDE!!...i couldnt agree with you more....so nice to meet a fellow with such great tastes!!!

American football is pish.......take of all the sissy body armour and then i'll start watching....its a girls sport.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

TextOr Rounders as it is called in girls schools all over the UK.

LMFAO!!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
....its a girls sport.

Yes, we do embrace the femininity of our sport!

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join