It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
American Mad Man, I cant figure out your viewpoint. You play soccer say to have traveled extensively then drop the some of most enthnocentric and incorrect statements in regards to Europe and the World I've ever read. Bye anyone on this site.

AMMs viewpoint:

1) The US is the best nation in the world by a lot.
2) The French are wussy.
3) The Britts have bad teeth.
4) Football is a better game and has better athletes then soccer.

Any questions?

Also the East coast and West coast of the US are very, very different but it is laughable to pretend they are in any way different than any two nations in Europe.

I didn't say they were more different, just equally so.

Many European nations are amongnst the most culturally diverse on Earth. London is the most culturally diverse city on Earth. The reason Americans dont travel abroad much isnt because we have "everything we need here" it is because we are an incredibly isolationist nation.

You and I dissagree here. Just about everyone I know travels a lot. More so then any European I have ever met in fact. The difference comes down to our poorer people. Low income Americans travel from state to state. Low income Europeans go from country to country in Europe.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

American Mad Man, I cant figure out your viewpoint. You play soccer say to have traveled extensively then drop the some of most enthnocentric and incorrect statements in regards to Europe and the World I've ever read. Bye anyone on this site.

AMMs viewpoint:

1) The US is the best nation in the world by a lot.
2) The French are wussy.
3) The Britts have bad teeth.
4) Football is a better game and has better athletes then soccer.

Any questions?

Also the East coast and West coast of the US are very, very different but it is laughable to pretend they are in any way different than any two nations in Europe.

I didn't say they were more different, just equally so.

Many European nations are amongnst the most culturally diverse on Earth. London is the most culturally diverse city on Earth. The reason Americans dont travel abroad much isnt because we have "everything we need here" it is because we are an incredibly isolationist nation.

You and I dissagree here. Just about everyone I know travels a lot. More so then any European I have ever met in fact. The difference comes down to our poorer people. Low income Americans travel from state to state. Low income Europeans go from country to country in Europe.

Why bother? Anyone who has read your previous musings on this subject already knows:

1. You know absoutley NOTHING about the beautiful game
2. you are an infant hiding behind your uncle Sam.

Just give it up man, it's like my old dear used to say: "it's the empty vessels that make the most noise".

BTW, "indoor soccer" is not a sport, it's a game played by pussies. If you're gonna play FOOTBALL, go play outside you big girl.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Less than 10% of American own a passport. Canadians and Australians travel internationally much more than Ameicans, yet they live is similarly sized countires and have similar economic structures to that of the U.S. I lived inside andd outside America and every time I return to America it fells like im entering a cocooon, isolated from the rest of the globe. We are (culturally speaking) incredibly isolated to the rest of the world. The average American has no idea of events, people, culture, and places outside of the U.S.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Why bother? Anyone who has read your previous musings on this subject already knows:

1. You know absoutley NOTHING about the beautiful game

Aparently, I know more then you do. You are the one trying to say that the Italian A league is not physical.

2. you are an infant hiding behind your uncle Sam.

Infant? I'm 26 years old. I may not be middle aged, but I am far from an 'infant'. And "hiding behind my Uncle Sam"? Whats their to hide? I am 100% truthfull and candid in my posts. I don't play the PC game and say we are all equal. I am not going to do that to satisfy ego's.

This thread is about Football vs Soccer. It's clear to anyone who has played either sport which requires more from the athlete, and it is clear to anyone who watches both sports which one is more entertaining.

Just give it up man, it's like my old dear used to say: "it's the empty vessels that make the most noise".

And yet you are the one constantly hounding me. Get a life.

BTW, "indoor soccer" is not a sport, it's a game played by pussies. If you're gonna play FOOTBALL, go play outside you big girl.

FYI, indoor is MORE physical then outdoor. It is akin to hockey because of the boards, and also requires more endurance because you are sprinting the whole time and there are no sopages in play other then the occasional kick over the boards. Well, at least where I play.

Ohhh, one other thing... It is indoor during the winter months because here in PA we generally have about a foot to a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Outdoor starts back up in about a month.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Itmight jus be cos im drunk at the moment AMM but have we not said every thing there is to say argued every point over and over ,this is just degenerating in to another anti america bash as a lot of threads do here ,alot of which has now't to do withfootball vs soccer ,and ill have nothing to do with bashing our cousins :w::w::w::w::w:
each to their own

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Nah no way is indoor more physical than outdoor. I've played both of them since I started and outdoor takes a lot more endurance. In indoor you usually have more time to stand around since there's less space, all the action is usually concentrated in one area, not all over the field. Until it gets on to your side and you have to keep it out, your standing more.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Ohhh, one other thing... It is indoor during the winter months because here in PA we generally have about a foot to a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Outdoor starts back up in about a month.

Very interesting, over here, we play in the snow. I never said that Serie A wasn't physical, I said it wasn't as physical as the Premiership. You can add reading comprehension to your list of inadequacies.
You see they have a different footballing culture to England, and indeed Spain, [Catenaccio mean anything to you? Thought not]. If you weren't spouting off about that which you know nothing, you could come to realise this.

FYI, indoor is MORE physical then outdoor. It is akin to hockey because of the boards, and also requires more endurance because you are sprinting the whole time and there are no sopages in play other then the occasional kick over the boards. Well, at least where I play.

Excuse me while I kick back and gut laugh my ass of at that comment. Nice disclaimer though, "at least where I play" eh? Where's that? BSville? Do us a favour you muppet, and give your head a wobble.

[edit on 24/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yeah... Because... You know...

We are Americans right? We've never been to your part of the world. If we have... We would just forget where and how we grew up and become Soccer fans at the drop of a hat. Im sorry.... Look at my name... You think I've ever been to any European countries? Yeah, this is a joke thread. You need to keep that in mind when you make posts here. *peace*

By the way... Soccer players talk to their mothers before every game.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
Itmight jus be cos im drunk at the moment AMM but have we not said every thing there is to say argued every point over and over ,this is just degenerating in to another anti america bash as a lot of threads do here ,alot of which has now't to do withfootball vs soccer ,and ill have nothing to do with bashing our cousins :w::w::w::w::w:
each to their own

Hell yeah dude... I'll drink to you oon that one my man. I love you Brits!!! Even if I bash ouyou... Some of you atleats keep that English sense of humor.... Long live the QUUEEENN!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   

It seems most of the defensive posters are all Euros. Maybe you Euro's just don't have a sense of humor and can't handle good natured jabs.

Maybe they're just as passionate about 'real football' as you are with 'American football'

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

By the way... Soccer players talk to their mothers before every game.

That's coz they love their moms and aren't afraid to show it anytime, anywhere. You guys have to have a special day once a year to express it

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Very interesting, over here, we play in the snow.

18 inches? Really? I'd like to see an example of that.

In any case, I am not playing pro ball, I play in a rec league for guys who played in college and such. We have indoor fields, so we use them. We move outside when the snow isn't past our knee.

I never said that Serie A wasn't physical, I said it wasn't as physical as the Premiership. You can add reading comprehension to your list of inadequacies.

This is what you said in this thread :

They have a more defensive approach yes, but tactically defensive. They IN NO WAY play as physical a game than is played in the Premiership, or for that matter La Liga.

Considering La Liga is among the most soft leagues in all of soccer, I find it hard to believe you think the Italian league is physical... Unless of course you aren't as informed as you would like to pretend you are.

You see they have a different footballing culture to England, and indeed Spain, [Catenaccio mean anything to you? Thought not]. If you weren't spouting off about that which you know nothing, you could come to realise this.

Ahhh yes, bring it back to Milan. I'd give you a "C" for effort. The fact is, the Italian leagues are as or more punishing then any on the planet. I assume you want to draw comparisons between 60's era italian soccer and present day Italian soccer? Should I then discuss the Wishbone formation in comparison to the west coast offense?

Excuse me while I kick back and gut laugh my ass of at that comment. Nice disclaimer though, "at least where I play" eh? Where's that? BSville? Do us a favour you muppet, and give your head a wobble.

'At least where I play' was mentioned because I play in a very physical league, considering we are all there just to have fun. Hell, the second best player on my team is English, and he says it's the roughest league he has played in.

Kick back and laugh all you want. I really could not care less. If it gives you some gratification in your life, well then I'm glad I can give some meaning to your sad existance. In any case, I'm done with you, you are a boarderline troll, and I'm here to talk a little friendly smack, not have some 11 year old with a complex try to drive a thread off track.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Maybe they're just as passionate about 'real football' as you are with 'American football'

Naaa, it's more like an inferiority complex.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Kick back and laugh all you want. I really could not care less. If it gives you some gratification in your life, well then I'm glad I can give some meaning to your sad existance.

What happened in the '05 champions league final? Liverpool down by THREE goals, bring on a second defensive midfielder, the cream of Italian football end up crying, and why? Because they were bossed out of the game by a MORE PHYSICAL English side. Jesus, it's not hard. That's the best team in Italy, some would have said Europe at the time, being beaten by the FOURTH best in England [Based on the Premiership placings for the season] So lets not cling on to vague notions, let's discuss the contemporary game.

The Spanish league is without doubt more physical than the Italian. The evidence for this lies in the two countries performances in the Champions League, go ahead, look it up, and tell me which country has done better in recent years. I'll give you a clue, it's not the Italians. You see, In European competitions, it's better to protect what you already have, to play on the break at home, and go looking for goals away, this is because you the away goals rule. The Spanish League fares better thanks to the unique blend of flair players, and tough physical defenders. No other countries league is as nicely balanced; but this is kid stuff, and patently obvious to anyone with eyes. The only reason I am pointing all this out, is to expose you as yet again embracing ignorance, of speaking of something you know nothing about, and of being a fully paid up internet hardman:

I'm done with you, you are a boarderline troll, and I'm here to talk a little friendly smack, not have some 11 year old with a complex try to drive a thread off track.

Nice Handbag.

[edit on 25/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
MAd man you have no idea of the game dude.
Italian serie A is a style of temporisation, they score one goal and then they defend it, they hold the ball, pass back, they try to slow the game down.
German, english, and nordic teams are far more phisical by far.
This just proves you know nothing of the game.
Remember you play soccer you dont play profesional football.
Even a team of boys colected from around the neborhood from around europe would humiliate you at the sport

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Italian serie A is a style of temporisation, they score one goal and then they defend it, they hold the ball, pass back, they try to slow the game down.

No, not just in Italian series A do they do that, they do that in every outdoor soccer game all over the world.
What you call "defend" I call "kicking the ball out of bounds like a girl". This is why fans throw pint glasses and mace other fans. They came there to see some action and they're gonna see it damnit!!!

BTW, this is supposed to be a good natured BTS thread. If you're gonna start melting down then go to another thread please. God knows the American football fans are woefully outnumbered in this thread to begin with so there's no need for soccer fan to start getting pissy.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sorry Dr. Love, but everything you said was half-reliable until 'de Niro' was taken from the Avatar. Now your words are as empty and lifeless as the proverbial pigskin.

Just kidding

Everything that can be argued for or against the sports seems to have been done, and Football (of the foot and ball variety) obviously came out the winner. Now the only thing left would be to post a hundred pictures of Peter Beardsleys mug, and the thread would indeed be "over". I'll not taint the boards myself with such a horror, but here's a link for anyone brave enough to drive in the final nail:

Keep Away From Mirrors

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
BTW, this is supposed to be a good natured BTS thread. If you're gonna start melting down then go to another thread please. God knows the American football fans are woefully outnumbered in this thread to begin with so there's no need for soccer fan to start getting pissy. Peace

Hey man, no offence, but talk absolute crap, and expect people to get pissy. No, I'm not refering to you. I mean, I have no problem with purposely taking the mick, bags of urine, and girls trips, but come on, blatently spouting ignorance as if it's the Gods honest truth really gets my back up.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

18 inches? Really? I'd like to see an example of that.

This made me giggle !
im so imature

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i am british and i cant see wat all the fuss with american football is about i've tried watching it but it is worse than watching curling every someone gets tackled they stop, there is no flow to the game like there is in rugby i know football "soccer" isn't always exciting but the atmosphere at a football match is electrifying and no american sport can beat that, and where is the skill in american football you run with a ball knock someone over and stop, id much rather watch players like ronaldinho, freddy adu, and wayne rooney than large men on steroids banging into eachother wearing suits of armour

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join