It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I came across this clip, and thought it would be a good indicator of just how athletic NFL players are.

This is Donovan McNabb, a QB (note - the QB is generally NOT a good open field runner, though McNabb is) who tips the scales at 240 pounds and stands 6 feet 2 inches tall. He is "big" in every sense of the word.

Look at this move

umm.......he just kind of dekes for a second, then jumps out of the way it seems.....reeeeeeal athletic. I know 300 pound kids who can do that.

Hell we had to do half an hour of that kind of junk for soccer last year. And that was before a warm-up. I guarantee you if the defender was any good, McNabb would have a hard time frustrating him since if they do what they train to, they follow in front a little to give space incase the offender switches direction or tries to fake them out. I was taught that when I was 6 for gods sake.

As for Ronaldinho, he's good yeah, but all his tricks and junk are kind pointless. You're usually taught to leave the circus tricks at home. You've got no place for them in a game. He does that to show off. I remember a game about a month ago, playing for brazil against some crap team, he beat all their defenders and could've scored, but turned around just to beat them again and he said "I needed the practice"
[edit on 23/2/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
300 pound kids are not going to fake out a professional like he just did though. Bit of a difference than faking out a chump in the school yard rather and a professional athlete.

I just found out Jerry Rice is on a damn dancing contest on tv. What the hell is that?

End zone dances are being finessed.

I enjoy soccer, as boring as it can be sometimes but still find myself stuck to the screen to see if a goal will finally be scored. These guys probably run a few miles throughout the duration of the game as well. Tremendous athletes.

My heart belongs with American football though, but its not a knock to soccer as its called here.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Most untraveled people? I have been to almost ever country in Europe, Mexico, Canada, nearly every state in the US, Argentina, the BVAs...

Maybe not you per se, but you gotta admit that the average American Joe is not that well traveled. Not insulting you guys, but merely stating what I've heard or read from numerous surveys.

But whatever, that's not important.

Is this the fastest growing thread in BTS? Every 24 hours I see it's added two pages and I don't see it coming to an end.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
umm.......he just kind of dekes for a second, then jumps out of the way it seems.....reeeeeeal athletic. I know 300 pound kids who can do that.

Hell we had to do half an hour of that kind of junk for soccer last year. And that was before a warm-up. I guarantee you if the defender was any good, McNabb would have a hard time frustrating him since if they do what they train to, they follow in front a little to give space incase the offender switches direction or tries to fake them out. I was taught that when I was 6 for gods sake.

As for Ronaldinho, he's good yeah, but all his tricks and junk are kind pointless. You're usually taught to leave the circus tricks at home. You've got no place for them in a game. He does that to show off. I remember a game about a month ago, playing for brazil against some crap team, he beat all their defenders and could've scored, but turned around just to beat them again and he said "I needed the practice"

1) You do understand that that video is in slow motion, don't you?

No one on your soccer team has those kind of moves, much less at 240 pounds.

2) If you think it is that easy to make an open field tackle on McNabb, you are playing the wrong sport. I was a nationally recruited football player, and have played against some of the best players in the NFL. Trust me when I say that tackling a guy like McNabb is harder then it looks in slow motion replays.

3) Ronaldinho was FIFAs player of the year last year. He "shows off" every opertunity he gets. He was litterally voted the best player in the world. As an athlete, he doesn't compare to most of the starting skill players in the NFL.

4) I played and still play soccer. I don't know what you are talking about when you say "leave the tricks at home. Most good strikers (except for the insanely tall target ones) have a great arsenal of step overs, ball fakes, and spin moves.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Maybe not you per se, but you gotta admit that the average American Joe is not that well traveled. Not insulting you guys, but merely stating what I've heard or read from numerous surveys.

But whatever, that's not important.

Heres the thing though... We may not travel abroad as much as Europeans, but visiting state to state is equal to the trips Europeans make when they go from say, Italy to Greece. A lot of our states are bigger then most countries in Europe. So going from California to NY is just the same as going from England to Spain (actually, it's farther).

Is this the fastest growing thread in BTS? Every 24 hours I see it's added two pages and I don't see it coming to an end.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Heres the thing though... We may not travel abroad as much as Europeans, but visiting state to state is equal to the trips Europeans make when they go from say, Italy to Greece. A lot of our states are bigger then most countries in Europe. So going from California to NY is just the same as going from England to Spain (actually, it's farther).

It's not the distance that matters. Going from California to New York may be farther than England to Spain, but the culture not to mention the language in the different European states are dramatically different from the culture in one American state to another.

And why restrict yourself to Europe and America? It's still part of the broad Western culture. There's South Asian regions to explore, the East Asian cultures to sample, the South East Asian traditions to observe. Or what about Africa, or the middle-east (where it's sort of liberal)?

The whole point of traveling abroad is to experience different cultures, not to clock up frequent flyer miles.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
It's not the distance that matters. Going from California to New York may be farther than England to Spain, but the culture not to mention the language in the different European states are dramatically different from the culture in one American state to another.

Obviously you have never gone from the US East Coast to the US West Coast. They are COMPLETELY different. As different as going from European country to country. Again, I know. I have been to all of Western Europe, and most of Eastern Europe.

And why restrict yourself to Europe and America? It's still part of the broad Western culture. There's South Asian regions to explore, the East Asian cultures to sample, the South East Asian traditions to observe. Or what about Africa, or the middle-east (where it's sort of liberal)?

The whole point of traveling abroad is to experience different cultures, not to clock up frequent flyer miles.

I whole heartedly agree. But you see, you are pointing out places that are close to you. We go to South America if we want that kind of experience.

The simple fact is, Americans are more interested with the environment of where they visit. If you live in the North East, you want to go to Florida or Hawaii and get some sun. If you live in Florida, you go to Colorado or Cali to go hit the slopes.

You see, we have it all

Unlike Europe, we have other nations culture on our own soil...

We are more interested in taking our 7 days off work and relaxing... Cause God knows we work hard enough to.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by pepsi78
American football is just over rated rugby.

Go through this thread and watch the .gifs of all the wicked NFL hits. Believe me, the physical difference between rugby and American football is night and day.

And as far as cricket players needing that protection or they might get killed, that's laughable. They need to toughen up, I mean, at least get rid of the faceguards. Since when are Euros worried about their teeth?
Our baseballs are not as soft as you seem to think.

Peace

I don't suppose you saw the episode of American Chopper when they came over to the UK then? IIRC only Paul jr had the balls to face a fast bowler and even then he crapped himself! Paul sr just walked away cos he was so scared! bwahahahaha big old tough yanks! I wont even mention the crap-tastic happenings when they faced a bunch of OLD Scottish battle re-enacters!!

Honestly Doc, your defianately going down the wrong road with this one. Theres absolutely NO comparisson between facing a baseball pitcher and a cricket spin bowler. I tried to find to some pictures of Mike Gattings face after it was smashed in by a fast ball to the face. Doesn't seem to be any online for some reason. Probably because it was quite a while ago but I bet Im not the only one to remember it

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Actually I have been to LA and New York, I can't say the culture is that very different. It's similiar, but not contrasting. The environment is different, though.

The simple fact is, Americans are more interested with the environment of where they visit.

Therein lies the problem. The world is not just the environment and terrain. It's also the people and the culture. As you have said, Americans are more interested in the environment, so they don't pay attention to the culture.

And that's why we are having this argument about football. Am I right or am I right?

[edit - extra word removed]

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I came across this clip, and thought it would be a good indicator of just how athletic NFL players are.

This is Donovan McNabb, a QB (note - the QB is generally NOT a good open field runner, though McNabb is) who tips the scales at 240 pounds and stands 6 feet 2 inches tall. He is "big" in every sense of the word.

Look at this move

Make this guy do 180 degree turn has he is doing that, he would colapse, the weight of the body would pull him back, as he has piked up speed it would be inposible for him to turn and head back in a run.
Sure he can do it while heading in front, but if he starts turning back he can posibly colapse or he can have a slow start.
Compared to some one liter in size it would be easyer to do the rurning back and running.
1 thing he is not is flexible, agility does not mean just in front, like a fish head in any direction at any time.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Make this guy do 180 degree turn has he is doing that, he would colapse, the weight of the body would pull him back, as he has piked up speed it would be inposible for him to turn and head back in a run.
Sure he can do it while heading in front, but if he starts turning back he can posibly colapse or he can have a slow start.
Compared to some one liter in size it would be easyer to do the rurning back and running.
1 thing he is not is flexible, agility does not mean just in front, like a fish head in any direction at any time.

Translator!!! We need a translator!!!! Anyone have any clue what this guy just said? Is it in English?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Translator!!! We need a translator!!!! Anyone have any clue what this guy just said? Is it in English?

Let me try, I've plenty of experience with broken english (sorry pepsi78):-

Make this guy do 180 degree turn. As he is doing that, he would colapse because the weight of his body would pull him back. And as he picks up speed it would be impossible for him to turn around and head back in a run.

Sure he can do it while heading in front, but if he starts turning back he would possibly collapse or he would have a slow start.

Compared to some one lighter and smaller in size, it would be easier for them to turn around, run back, turn and run the other way.

I think he is not flexible enough, agility does not mean just running forward. It should be like a fish head, able to turn in any direction, at any time.

I don't really know what that fish bit is about though. I think that's what it means.

Is that what you meant, pepsi?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Lol I like to see that american football player turn back and run like a fish.
A fish is fast in reaction, agility, very fast little thing(or big)
I would like to see that guy do a 180 degree turn and head back, but in the exact timing when he has maxium velocity, the out come can be that the force of his body being heavy would slow him down or he would just colapse.
This proves agility is not a main factor in NFL.
It's like when you trow a brick from 10th floor.
Yea sure he can head in front grate but what about turning back

[edit on 24-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What I'm getting from pepsi's comments are that soccer players are so freakin' short that because of their low center of gravity it allows them to change direction quicker.

So basically soccer players are short and wimpy.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

This proves agility is not a main factor in NFL.

OK... I think I see what you are trying to say here. Can I ask you one question? Just one? Do you know who Barry Sanders is? Now... If you tell me Barry Sanders wasn't an agile little... fish... I don't know what you consider agile to be. Mind you... That is just one example of agility in the NFL.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Somebody needs to upload the Michael Vick run of a couple years ago when he literally ran all over the field with Vikings chasing and running into each other, winning the game......in OT I think. That run was legendary.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Somebody needs to upload the Michael Vick run of a couple years ago when he literally ran all over the field with Vikings chasing and running into each other, winning the game......in OT I think. That run was legendary.

Peace

Yes, I can imagine it. A gorilla in a fancy suit, running all along the field with the ball in his armpit, and scoring by just crossing a line.

THIS is a run. He crosses the whole field, dribbling everyone and at the end he still has to shot on target, you see? it's not just to cross a line. And you say this is not an athlete?

www.worldcup.fr...
(Saeed Owairan - Saudi Arabia / Belgium - WC 94)

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Peronemlin that was a great goal indeed, I'd just like to add this run by the late great George Best hehe
He totally makes a show of their defense.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
American Mad Man, I cant figure out your viewpoint. You play soccer say to have traveled extensively then drop the some of most enthnocentric and incorrect statements in regards to Europe and the World I've ever read. Bye anyone on this site.

Also the East coast and West coast of the US are very, very different but it is laughable to pretend they are in any way different than any two nations in Europe.

[/quoteUnlike Europe, we have other nations culture on our own soil...

Many European nations are amongnst the most culturally diverse on Earth. London is the most culturally diverse city on Earth. The reason Americans dont travel abroad much isnt because we have "everything we need here" it is because we are an incredibly isolationist nation.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Bandar Paul]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Therein lies the problem. The world is not just the environment and terrain. It's also the people and the culture. As you have said, Americans are more interested in the environment, so they don't pay attention to the culture.

And that's why we are having this argument about football. Am I right or am I right?

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Beachcoma]

Naaa. I don't think it's a problem. It's not that Americans don't pay attention to culture, it's that when we go on vacation, a lot of us (obviously not all) are more concerned with just relaxing.

Where as Europeans may want to take the train through Europe over 10 days and see 4 or 5 different countries, Americans would rather go to the Bahamas and relax on the beach for those 10 days.

I could just as easilly turn it around on you and say that Europeans don't understand American culture. We work much longer hours then Europeans, and live lives that are much more stressfull. In return we are generally more productive and when we do have are measly 5 days off, we just want to relax.

Frankly, I think we are having this "discussion" because it's fun to banter about sports... It seems most of the defensive posters are all Euros. Maybe you Euro's just don't have a sense of humor and can't handle good natured jabs.

new topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join