It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature Lovers Outraged: Bear and Cubs That Killed Hiker to Be Put Down

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Well, it'll be like finding a needle in a haystack in some parts of the country. You'd have to basically kill on sight and pray you killed the offending bear. That isn't the way to go either.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

originally posted by: Skid Mark

What makes it human territory? Humans being human? Where is the animal territory? Humans are part of the food chain, just like everything else.

Hes probably one of "those" that fillets fish and cooks in his camp spot. Then wonders why bears and others predators creep up on him and his camp for.

LMAO.. Because I think bears that eat people should be put down.. Do you ever camp?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Well, it'll be like finding a needle in a haystack in some parts of the country. You'd have to basically kill on sight and pray you killed the offending bear. That isn't the way to go either.

They will find them quick..You should go camping out there before they catch them.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

Reminds me of that shark attack that resulted in the killing of dozens of sharks that it turns out was completely incapable of even eating a human, let alone bite one with any effectiveness.
edit on 8/13/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I camp/hike as much as I can, yep.

However, I don't think that the "wild" is mine like you. I respect it. I educate myself with it. I respect the predators and everything that comes along with being out in mother nature. If you don't respect everything that comes with the territory when being out in the wild, it will chew you up and spit you out.

Plain and simple.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Nowadays they have the means and technology to DNA test to ensure they do not indiscriminately euthanize the wrong bear.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

However, I don't think that the "wild" is mine. I respect it. I respect the predators and everything that comes along with being out in mother nature. If you don't respect everything that comes with the territory when being out in the wild, it will chew you up and spit you out.

Plain and simple.

I dunno I'm of the opinion truly respecting nature means respecting it when it chews you up and spits you out too.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Nowadays they have the means and technology to DNA test to ensure they do not indiscriminately euthanize the wrong bear.

True, but finding the correct bear is a big problem too. Lots of real estate out there to search, not to mention, a lot of bears look alike (depending on age etc)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

However, I don't think that the "wild" is mine like you. I respect it. I educate myself with it. I respect the predators and everything that comes along with being out in mother nature. If you don't respect everything that comes with the territory when being out in the wild, it will chew you up and spit you out.

Plain and simple.

Anf if you go around eating people we tend to do the same damm thing.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

When predators find out how easy it is to kill humans, they tend to do so. Path of least resistance.

For the safety of others, if these bears did this, they must be put down.

No one wants to. Wish it weren't necessary, but that's the way it is.

This is the very reason people need to stop treating nature as if it's a damned Disney cartoon. This ain't Brother Bear. These are predators that will kill you if they deem it necessary.

Out in nature? Take precautions. Be noisy. No, you won't get that really cool picture, but you won't get killed and eaten either by that mama bear you just surprised...

These bears are going to, unless something incredible happens, pay the price for someones lack of foresight...

Sad all the way 'round.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

True, but according to the source linked, being they found the body stashed for a return food source, they immediately set traps and captured the bears in the area and are going to DNA test them to see if they have the right one. Certainly, if they are not, it will make it harder to locate the attackers. They are certain that at least one cub was involved, so it does exclude males and focuses their search on females with cubs.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I'm curious if they could take the cubs into captivity for a while and perhaps "save them" from being the so called "vicious man eaters" that people say they'll become? Has to be another way besides killing them off. There is always another way to do things.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Shark's and bears... Oranges and potatoes...

If they let the bear go and it ambled into a camp and ate some kids in a month... Wonder how many people defending the bear now would call for the head of park service for not protecting the campers.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
They will favour human meat, offering the least resistance, IF they are in the local facinity of their habitat. People imply they will somehow hunt humans outside this zone. They would still continue to eat the produce of the wild based on the time of season. Bears can smell has from a mile off, but wouldn't go hunting outside the realms of normality unless the habitat hasn't produced it's normal consistent food. If you go on their doorstep they may prioritise you over their normal fish, berries etc because of their opportunist nature, but they won't migrate large distances because they learnt that a human tasted nice.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

If...

A lot of times it's a matter of when. Look, it bothers the Hell out of me that these bears will, in all likelihood be put down. Don't like it. It's a matter of bears doin' what bears do.

The campers/backpackers were stupid. Stupid generally punishes itself.

But...

These bears now know that humans are easy prey. Very easy. Maybe they won't eat another human. The chance can not be taken.

No zoo would take them, which would be the only other solution not involving death, because they've killed humans. Too dangerous by far. Or so I would surmise. Maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
Fair point, but someone pointed out earlier that this behaviour will be learnt by the cubs and any other bears that witnessed this. If this is true (and seems highly likely) then we would have to cull the bears in the local facinity to avoid the chance of it happening again. I'm sure they have a form of communication to identify different forms of life (like prairie dogs). If killing the bear is important to avoid this from occurring again or limiting the exposure of humans becoming targets than culling is the only option if my simplistic concept has any substance.

All I would say is just stay away. Humans won't be under threat if you remain a sufficient distance from the threat.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
To be honest, there really isn't any preserves that would attempt taking in cubs exposed. The liabilities are too high upon release. The most hope for the cubs would be a life in an enclosed zoo. Nature lovers attack zoo spectacles too, but don't realize that it is either that or euthanization. It is a tough call, but one that needs to be made.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

All I would say is just stay away. Humans won't be under threat if you remain a sufficient distance from the threat.

There is the solution. Stay away.

It's all very well and good to get out into nature, and see what's to be seen. Done it many times. But, on my back pack are a couple of bells that tinkle merrily as I stomp along trying not to surprise animals with sharp teeth and bad tempers.

Usually, but not always, they'll get out of your way, but will stick around to see what all the noise is about. I've seen some wonderful things but because they know I'm there, they and I are at a safe distance from each other...

In all my time in the woods, I've had two close encounters with beasties of the sharp teeth variety.

One was a puma that circled my little tent on night. He was just curious and came down to check me out. To this date, his prints are the largest I've ever seen of a puma. If I had to guess, he was in the neighborhood of 230-250 lbs.

The second was a bear. Big ol' boar black bear. We were both just ambling along eating huckleberries on a gorgeous summer day... He wasn't looking for trouble, nor was I...just eating huckleberries.

He came around the corner of the patch just as I was approaching it. He stopped. I stopped. He looked/sniffed at me. I looked at him/crapped myself. He, apparently, decided I was harmless, I knew I was... He huffed, turned around and just kept on ambling. Thank god.

That's how I learned the bells on the backpack, and making yourself known, lesson.

My guess is those poor people caught a mama bear by surprise...or worse, got between her and her babies. Bad things ensued.

(post by peskyhumans removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
2011 Yellowstone Park - Grizzly with cubs killed twice before being euthanized. Obviously, the park has learned their lesson in not giving mama bears a second chance. Read the linked article above that was linked within the OPs initial source article.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join