It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature Lovers Outraged: Bear and Cubs That Killed Hiker to Be Put Down

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

My brother took down one at 13 when we were hunting for deer with a 308 in Idaho.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Some lose their fear of humans. Some say that bears develop a taste for them and actively stalk them. Then again, they defend their territory. If you don't want hurt, stay out of it.

link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: CynConcepts

Also, we'd capture the humans, prosecute them, put the children into foster care with therapy and attempt to rehabilitate them and give them a life.

Not hunt them down and butcher them.

According to the source article this is what the park is basically doing with the bears. They are awaiting DNA testing to confirm whether this bear is the man eater. If determined to be the bear, she will be sentenced to be euthanized. Her cubs may not be euthanized if they can find an alternate solution aka foster care.

link   

Seeing as people here think humans are animal crack, I doubt they have a clue. They don't even know most sharks think we taste like crap. Too many jaws sequels I guess...

link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Are they endangered or protected? are there enough of them I don't know btw so only asking

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Did anyone watch this and want one as a kid?.

Clint Howard...Ron's brother lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Sometimes you do everything right and spook animals, was it bad luck probably... bear probably won't go hunting humans... But as someone that likes to bc hike, I'd prefer they error on the side of caution, and not wait for more deaths before they take steps.

and i like to camp so please error on the side of caution..

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I can't give the answer you are fishing for. Our family does not go into the wilderness unless we can take weapons. The rest is luck.

Edit: If you are asking if you can kill an endangered species in self defense, yes. You can google but it is in some act from 1970's.
edit on 13-8-2015 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm an avid outdoorsman, hunter and I've studied wildlife management through various orgs as well as in college.

At heart, I'm with the bears. Simply looking at this through natural eyes, there's no discrimination, if you're in that animals habitat your rightfully on it's menu. There's far too many of us, obviously. This is not disputed amongst wildlife experts. It is a fact that the increase in attacks on humans by natural predators is due to human expansion an overpopulation. The rise in shark attacks are a pretty good example. I've got a college buddy who works for NOAA that goes on about this all the time.

On the flip side, the reason the officials must take the animals down, is the simple fact that bears are very habitual eaters, especially some being cubs, these bears would develop a taste for humans and would definitely put other live at risk. Also any other non participating bears observing an attack on humans would adopt these actions as well, a meme learned amongst the species. Again, the same thing that is happening with many shark species, we're slowly being added to the menu.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Some lose their fear of humans. Some say that bears develop a taste for them and actively stalk them. Then again, they defend their territory. If you don't want hurt, stay out of it.

I say no its my territory, if you dont want to get shot dont eat my friends.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

It goes to show there is no cure for stupidity.

it's sad for the families but jeez-common sense goes a long way. The animals in question did nothing wrong and they should not have to die because we don't respect the animals and their environment.

The same thing happens with sharks- we intrude on their environment and we wonder why we get attacked-So what's our response? we kill them!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Every response I could think of to get my point across broke the rules set forth by ATS so not responding here.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Bloodydagger

I hate when crap like this happens. There's a tribe in africa where if you get eaten by a tiger, they shrug, they don't seek revenge, they accept that well, it's what tigers do.

I didn't know Africa had Tigers... I knew about lions, but I've never heard of any tribes in Africa that live among them, not caring if one of their own is killed by them

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I say no its my territory, if you dont want to get shot dont eat my friends.

This is a very ignorant, asinine, narrow minded and shortsighted view.

No wonder people get attacked and killed in the wild. They have your uneducated point of view.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yeah I got the geography wrong on the tigers, the rest is right

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

No, I was hooked on GIzzly Adams tv show and wanted one as a kid.
my own experience with bears was in Idaho too. I came up to a cliff edge and on the hillside across from me I watched a couple of baby cubs playing and tumbling like a couple of puppies! Had no clue where mama was. Even though I had my husband's 308 on me, I boogied back to camp and didn't stick around! My husband and I had to take turns scouting since we had a baby back then. We decided to break camp and move on away from that camp spot. No sense in taking any chances.

Edit correction: not a 308 but had a 30-06! Lol. I was thinking about 308 due to a previous posting.
edit on 8 13 2015 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

No, I was hooked on GIzzly Adams tv show and wanted one as a kid.
my own experience with bears was in Idaho too. I came up to a cliff edge and on the hillside across from me I watched a couple of baby cubs playing and tumbling like a couple of puppies! Had no clue where mama was. Even though I had my husband's 308 on me, I boogied back to camp and didn't stick around! My husband and I had to take turns scouting since we had a baby back then. We decided to break camp and move on away from that camp spot. No sense in taking any chances.

And you did what any educated outdoorsmen would do. That was smart.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What makes it human territory? Humans being human? Where is the animal territory? Humans are part of the food chain, just like everything else.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What makes it human territory? Humans being human? Where is the animal territory? Humans are part of the food chain, just like everything else.

Hes probably one of "those" that fillets fish and cooks in his camp spot. Then wonders why bears and other predators creep up on him and his camp for.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I agree. I dont think we should kill all the bears like most of you seem to think I do. Just the ones that have eaten someone..

Dang

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join