It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature Lovers Outraged: Bear and Cubs That Killed Hiker to Be Put Down

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Quite annoying some people's rationale on this thread. You can't kill every animal that kills humans because the human made a bad choice. Should we kill every shark that has killed a human...because of course, it's OUR sea. Should we kill every hippo, that kills more humans than lions and elephants , although not our continent, it's OUR land. As though some divine being gave us the right to kill any animal that defends itself when it's habitat/cubs are in danger. It is quite infuriating to read these types of responses. To conduct DNA tests on these animals to see if they were "murderers" is equally infuriating.

With regards of the bears learning that human meat tastes good so they will kill humans all the time is childish at best, apex predator or not. Are you taking into consideration that bears have killed humans before. Why are the cubs that "learnt" humans are easy targets not going to residential areas and prioritising killing humans rather than being attracted to waste food in bins. Why after many generations of this social learning have we not seen an upsurge in human deaths in these areas, with pack mentalities. It's simple. They have no interest.
They have established an equilibrium with their environment and have adapted successfully to it. They will not go out of their way to hunt humans that are not an immediate threat to the young.

Remember this is not our planet.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I am curious on whether those outraged over the need to dispose of man-eating animals would be as upset if the story was about a wildcrazy cannibal family who attacked and eaten the hiker? Would you just say let them continue to run loose in the wild? Or that just because they made a meal out of one stupid hiker, doesn't mean the children would ever continue killing other humans for meals like their parent? Or would your offended emotional meters change and say that we must capture them before they kill anyone else?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: alienjuggalo

If people are so scared of them, they can bring weapons and defend themselves. Like I said, we can either stop being hypocritical wusses, or we can stop lying to ourselves, cut the cord, and admit we don't give a crap anymore.

There are alot of bears in Yellowstone and we rarely hear stories like this. So I think when a bear does actually go as far as to kill and eat a human it should be put down.

This is a place where people come from everywhere to vacation and you cant have bears like that around.

Oh btw there alot of other tribes in Africa, most of them infact that hunt lions when they kill someone.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Should we kill every shark that has killed a human.

yes....

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This happened just over the mountains from me in Yellowstone national park. I'm sorry all, but some of these comments have made me chuckle. I think you only need to run into a griz once to understand that they always make a choice to not kill you when they see you. Its not like they have an epiphany after they kill their first human and think "oh, yeah, I should do this all the time!" They size you up, they know what they could do to you, and most of the time they decide we're not worth the trouble. This was not a predation attack, poor guy turned jumped a sow and cubs and she did what momma bears do. And then the cached him. In the case of predation attacks, when a bear is stalking people or dragging them out of tents, I absolutely agree they should be killed. Its usually a sign that they are not well enough to hunt and gather what they normally eat. They don't develop a "taste" for people, we are just easy to catch and they do so when their sick, old or injured. In cases like this, its an incredibly unfortunate event, but I don't think that bear is anymore likely or less likely to kill a person in the same scenario. Personally, I think they aught to trap them and relocate them deeper into the park. And for the record, the man killed was an experienced woodsman, it can happen to anyone. I had a close call with a big boar up in the betroths a few years back while fishing. Its easier than you'd think to do, no matter how good you are in the bush.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Hmmmm, several billion humans, bears rather uncommon.

Humans, killing their own, committing murder, and engaging in cannibalism. Bears killing an encroaching species, not engaging in cannibalism.

Bears, completely unaware there's any more significant between a human, a deer and a fish. Cannibal completely aware he's murdering another sentient person and totally comprehending the difference.

Yeah these two are completely equivalent.

Also, we'd capture the humans, prosecute them, put the children into foster care with therapy and attempt to rehabilitate them and give them a life.

Not hunt them down and butcher them.

Again, completely equivalent.

Hey wait, we've captured, rehabilitated animals and released them before... I wonder if... naw of course not, humans are the crack of the animal kingdom, one bite and hooked for life.

Is why most sharks take one bite, say blech, spit us out and go on their way. Cause spit worthy so ='s mmmmm mmmm good.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
a reply to: rossacus

Should we kill every shark that has killed a human.

yes....

Were you "one of those" who abused animals as a kid or something? Did you light firecrackers on kittens and puppies just to see what would happen? You seem to be strongly for killing off animals for doing what animals do in their own natural habitat. You're quick to want to kill them off due to humans being uneducated and unprepared when going into the Lions den so to speak.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

Yeah, that's stupid. The bear had cubs. They get defensive when they have cubs and will attack. It makes me wonder if the guy got too close to them. People should just leave them alone and stay out of their territory and nothing would happen. They had this show called "When Animals Attack". I thought it was the stupidest title. It should be "When Animals Defend Themselves".

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Yeah, that's stupid. The bear had cubs. They get defensive when they have cubs and will attack. It makes me wonder if the guy got too close to them. People should just leave them alone and stay out of their territory and nothing would happen. They had this show called "When Animals Attack". I thought it was the stupidest title. It should be "When Animals Defend Themselves".

Exactly. I'm wondering if the guy was "curious" and got close to the Bear without being educated on the subject. Anyone with a brain knows that you do NOT get close to a momma bear and her cubs. She'll maul you.

COMMON KNOWLEDGE is that you do NOT get near a bear cub in the wild. Even if the bear cub looks alone and no adult bear is nearby. Its pretty much playing Russian roulette when it comes to a bear cub in any situation in the wild. You walk the other way when you see one.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Then you my friend know nothing about sharks. Most sharks see something floundering in the water, they take a bite and if they like it kill it and eat in.

Most shark attacks on humans are a bite, the shark deciding they didn't like the taste, and the human dying from bleeding out/drowning.

All the shark did was see what it thought was a seal, take a bite, decide we taste like crap and swim off.

Sharks typically hate how we taste. But because a shark made a mistake and took a taste, you think we should hunt it down and butcher it.

Even worse, to find this shark we'll kill dozens or more just to find the right one if we ever do.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Wow really? Dude I love animals, I absolutely love my German shepherd . But If he attacked my kid I would put a bullet in him myself.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

But what if your kid provoked the dog and made the dog bite him? Do you know how or why it all went down? Or does that even matter to you? Or are you making something up to fit your stance on this?

You know that old saying, poke the bear too many times, sooner or later, expect to be bit.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Even if your kid was kicking him and cutting him with a knife and the dog finally fought back? Good to know where you stand, humans first, everything else second no matter what.

I'm having trouble believing you were the same person fighting against the cop in the cop kills a dog thread. Guess you put on a badge and you become less important than a bear.

Make up your mind.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

But what if your kid provoked the dog and made the dog bite him? Do you know how or why it all went down? Or does that even matter to you? Or are you making something up to fit your stance on this?

You know that old saying, poke the bear too many times, sooner or later, expect to be bit.

Did you read cowboys post? This guy was an experienced outdoorsman. I really doubt he poked a grizzly bear with cubs.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Why are people acting like this is a new policy...

For years now an animal kills a human, they are hunted down and killed. So why is it all of a sudden a problem??

Sometimes you do everything right and spook animals, was it bad luck probably... bear probably won't go hunting humans... But as someone that likes to bc hike, I'd prefer they error on the side of caution, and not wait for more deaths before they take steps.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Even if your kid was kicking him and cutting him with a knife and the dog finally fought back? Good to know where you stand, humans first, everything else second no matter what.

I'm having trouble believing you were the same person fighting against the cop in the cop kills a dog thread. Guess you put on a badge and you become less important than a bear.

Make up your mind.

Who was kicking the grizzly bear and cutting it with a knife? What? If my kid was doing that then I would beat my kids ass..
edit on 13-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Getting to close by accident is enough to a mother bear.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

What I said is an old meme/saying/figure of speech/warning to kids etc when it comes to provoking an animal in the wild.

Even the most staunchest outdoorsman isn't prepared for any and all situations in the wild. There is always a surprise around the corner that he/she may not be prepared for.

Go read David Paulides' Missing 411 books based around vanishings and deaths in our National Parks. A lot of these men and women were hardcore outdoorsmen. Hell, some were Rangers.

link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Doesn't change that it's a hypocritical self centered policy made by paranoid cowardly control freaks. I'm responding cause this thread is here and it's a chance to discuss it.

link   
Does anyone know If bears develop a taste for humans? because I can understand If so but does anyone know?.
Does a Bear kill again after killing 1 human?.
If it doesn't leave it be and put it down to bad bad luck.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join