It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Soooooo...basically this is his rabbit out of the hat trick to get into office for another 7 years to screw us over more???

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Who started the sabre rattling? I think you will find it was the Argentinians or Ms Kirchner, she is doing it to deflect her own 27% approval rating.
Most Argentinians can see this.
She keeps on bleating complete BS which is hypocritical and just nonsense, Cam (Still hate him but I agree with him here) has just warned her off, that is all.
The only way we will go to war is If Argentina tries to invade, which they will not because they have no chance.

Having 'no chance' being based on what? Your copy of the Sun newspaper?

I believe former head of the British Army, General Sir Michael Jackson, had a different view!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Population of Falklands in 1982 est 2842

British casualties 258. wounded 775

Argentinian casualties 649. Wounded 1657.

Total deaths 907

total wounded 2432.

So 907 people died in a war over an island with a population of 2842.

Does anyone know if this is a record?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Then he is a liar simple as.
Or unfortunately mentally ill due to the horror of war.
You presented it as fact when it is just hear say....prove it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kingmonkey

You forget the Lisbon treaty and the Anglo French defence treaty, this time If they invade we would not be alone.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.thinkdefence.co.uk...

www.lisbon-treaty.org

article 42 part 7

7. If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. This shall not prejudice the specific character of the security and defence policy of certain Member States.

SO AGAIN !!! the EU would be with us If they try anything.
edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
How would the British feel if Argentina had a possession they took by force centuries ago right beside the Isle?

Would they not want to re claim it or something? Or at least the recognition that they are right off their coast?

It just seems odd that years after colonialism here we are fighting over an island a world away..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by kingmonkey

OMG they have lived there for over 170 years, they were the first people to have a permanent settlement there.
Argentina wasn't even around at that time and like others have said Argentina was founded by conquistadors from spain, so If we give the falklands back the Argentinians have to give Argentina back to the natives....but the Falklands never had natives on it.
GOOD GOD PEOPLE READ THE BLOODY THREAD I'M SICK OF SAYING THE SAME THINGS.
Gonna make a brew and watch Dexter now

You have hit your face against ATS Cognitive Dissonance. There is no way in hell those folks will ever ever see the truth because as far as they are concerned their belief is the truth irrespective of whatever facts are presented.

It is quite a jaw dropper this once since the evidence for the past 300 years is quite well documented by French, Spanish, British and Argentinians ! Even better there is documentation where Argentinians visited the Falklands to find out for themselves "the truth". When they went home nobody believed them Sheeesh.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I know I could honestly quit ATS at the moment, you give people facts, they ignore it. They do not read the thread and bleat the same stuff all the time.
Good God I weep for ATS at this moment.

JAK

link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

Originally posted by splitfamiliar
British casualties 258 . . .

So 907 people died . . .

Do those figures need updating?

Andy McNab on the battle that never ends

Even today, PTSD suffers are stigmatised. This has to stop. Any service personnel hit by the disorder are casualties of war, just as much as soldiers hit by an enemy bullet. More service personnel who fought in the 1982 Falklands War have gone on to commit suicide than the 255 killed in action.

Falklands war veterans have high suicide rate

edit on 6/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Being American, I say GOOD FOR THEM screw British rule ^^....... j/k . But it worked for us ^9
but really it amounts to what this poster said

"What a sleaze ball, this is decoration playing to the voters. And Argentina are in no position for war. Pathetic
And Rupert Murdoch and his toilet rag The Sun can get lost also, it's nothing but sabre rattling to the public."

its just vote gathering, like we did for our elections both Iraq wars. Got votes to go to war, got votes to say we bringing em back lol, the jews for theirs now with all the Iranian talk and Palestinian conflict crap, and IM sure many other countries do it as well. Its called hot air.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I know I could honestly quit ATS at the moment, you give people facts, they ignore it. They do not read the thread and bleat the same stuff all the time.
Good God I weep for ATS at this moment.

Ah, just laugh at them like I do, this is one of the most entertaining topics I've seen, the Argentine backers are just showing their stupidity by failing to look at the historical records.
Remember, you'll never convince a zealot, it's better to look at the amusement in their rantings

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

I agree with you it is a horrid thing war and the scars are not always physical.
Iam disgusted that our troops do not get the treatment they need mentally but it is getting better, due to public awareness of mental health and slowly we are getting rid of the stigma that comes with it.
Thanks for reminding us all

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
reply to post by ObservingYou

Well for a start you mentioned fighting for independence (???) and also murdering women and children. There's no way that the former is right and the latter is demonstrably untrue.

That's what you get for shopping and typing at once, I merged sentences, hence it don't make sense - I have explained that previously.

What ObservingYou posted was a lie (there I said it) even if somebody else told him it first. I was alive during the Falklands War, knew people who were there and have read about it since. The war WAS fought for independance of the islands in a way (from Argentina) but no civilians were massacred.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

I was shocked at the basic figures, I was only four at the time and not much of a war history buff.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

reply to post by JAK

I was shocked at the basic figures, I was only four at the time and not much of a war history buff.

The casualties weren't THAT high when you compare it to other wars, such as the Arab-Israeli conflicts. A lot of the Argentine dead were conscripts (most of which didn't want to be there and surrendered the first chance they got). The majority of Brits were killed when their ships were bombed (Sir Galahad for example) because the terrain blocked the Royal Navy air-search radar and allowed the Skyhawks in close, which gave very little time to target and shoot them down. With the radar at the new airbase (and Typhoons) it wouldn't be a porblem this time. That's if the Argentine navy even got close enough to land an invasion force in the first place!
edit on 6-1-2013 by jayman0111 because: spulling mistokes

edit on 6-1-2013 by jayman0111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
How would the British feel if Argentina had a possession they took by force centuries ago right beside the Isle?

Would they not want to re claim it or something? Or at least the recognition that they are right off their coast?

It just seems odd that years after colonialism here we are fighting over an island a world away..

Well if had been populated by Argentines for the last 140 years, having previously been unhinabted, and they overwhelmingly wanted to remain under Argentine rule, I would be bitterly resentful of my government if they didn't respect that

Also, how do you take possession of an unhinabited island "by force"?

Still, at least it won't be long now until the Argentines all pack their bags and move to Spain, unless Kirchner is a hypocrite?

What's REALLY funny is all the anti British "evil Empire"posters who are apparently in favour of an armed invasion by a military power to oppress the population. Duh!
edit on 6-1-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jayman0111

It was the proportion of casualties, around 1 death for every 3 Islanders that I thought must be something of a record,

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

reply to post by jayman0111

It was the proportion of casualties, around 1 death for every 3 Islanders that I thought must be something of a record,

Well, yea, when you put it that way it is high.

To those who're saying Britain should just give the Falklands to the Argies though, how would the US feel of Russian wanted Alaska, or if the Japanese wanted Guam? (not sure if Guam is still a US dependant, need to Google it!)

Edit: Just did, and it is!
edit on 6-1-2013 by jayman0111 because: Checking facts

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Regardless of what anybody thinks in this thread, the facts will always be the facts:

The Falklands are British, unless the islanders vote against being British in the referendum, they will always be British.

Britain will fight for the islands to remain British, and we will win, far easier than last time.

Argentina will start any war that happens, not us, we will just finish it and sail back home, pants downs, two fingers and arse in the air.

It's not about oil, it has and always been about national pride and standing up for what is ours to protect.

Cameron is an arsehead, regardless of anything and everything.

Don't like war, don't agree with fighting in other peoples wars like the ME, but I am damn sure I believe in protecting our countrymen and country.
edit on 6/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Cameron is an arsehead, regardless of anything and everything.

Have to agree with you there! You're right about it being a national pride issus though. I hope that even if Milliband was PM he'd be saying the same thing.

BTW, I think he's an arse as well

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join