It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

So mike in your expert opinion who exactly is going to help the Argentinians invade a Great British territory?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So for those of you in favour of "Las Malvinas" being placed in the control of a country that has never owned it and has never had a population on it. Are you openly admitting that you are in favour of a military take over of a foreign people and their land? Is that what you are saying?

If you feel that British ownership of the islands is colonialism and Imperialist and wrong, what's the difference with Argentina deciding to move in because it feels like it?

People can't half be retarded. Colonisation has been part of humanity's survival instinct since we evolved. Is Argentina so backward it still feels the need? After all, we freely gave up the empire decades ago, most former empire colonies now CHOOSE to remain tied to Britain through the Commonwealth, so I guess we can't have been as completely evil as some think, eh?

At least we can claim that the atrocities that were carried out when we were empire building were done in a more backward age. What's Argentina's excuse today?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jayman0111

I agree with you. I think that, being the Falkland islands british or argentine, 170 years is a lot of time, and is the people who may decide. And is a fact that they will vote in favour of GB, but we have to accept that because they live there. Some people say, well, but that is because they are descendants of English conquerors, and the history of Gaucho Rivero, etc. Ok... maybe is true, maybe not... despite if we have reason or not, they live there, and they are not the alleged conquerors of 170 years ago, are "natives" now. Is the same case as Taiwan, that don't want being chinese, but the island is historically part of China: I think is the people who may decide in any time their destiny. Or another example, will Italy declare war to Turkey, because that was the land of Troy (Romans were descendants of Troy, according to the Eneida)? Of course not.
Obviously that I would love the Falkland being argentine, because I am. But I have no right to decide because I was not born there.
edit on 6/1/2013 by soyander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by soyander

I hope there are more people like yourself in your country.
I hope in the future we can work together and help each others country.
Thanks for joining us here

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Right, I've just got in from a long days drinking but here goes....

I have not read all 17 pages but here's my tuppence

I have personally been to the falklands and drank there with the locals.

I remember one pub in particular had plate mats at the bar which had and argentinian flag with a swastika super-imposed over the top of it.
The bar man explained to me that he likened the argentianian invasion to the nazis campaign in Europe .

Everyone I spoke to there was British through and through and it was just like being in a small village community anywhere in the uk.

They all want to remain British and are ready to fight for that right.

I'm no history buff, but was told that brits colonised the place well before Argentina even showed any interest.

I even spoke to an old guy who claimed to be firing a shotgun at invaders on the lawn from a window in the mayors house.

What's my point? I don't know. Basically the people in the falklands want to be British . So let them vote.

Loglady

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I can't find any links but I'm sure I recall hearing that the Islanders were being paid around £3000 per month to live there by the British Government.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by soyander

Without arguing the finer points. It seems we broadly agree. Let's see if our leaders can do the same.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't blame Britain at all. We would do the same if the Russians wanted to reclaim Alaska, or if some other nation tried to lay claim to Hawaii.The Falkland Islands have belonged to the British for what? 180 years? It isn't as if Britain is subjecting falklanders to genocide. They're in fact quite happy with being British, I see no reason why that should change.

Argentinas economy is dreadful, and in the process of collapsing. Falkland has Natural resources all around it. I suppose that has something to do with it. They will probably try to reclaim the island again. But Britain won't allow that. Good for them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

And the Argentinians offered each resident a million dollars to vote for Argentine rule...they declined.
I remember this many years ago and can't be arsed finding links.
edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

Henceforth why I included the fact that all their warships are dated relics as well... In terms of capability, only the US Navy gets one over us and even then, that's more to do with numbers and not quality. Take my word for it, their jaws dropped when they were invited aboard Daring and even more so when taken for a spin in Astute.....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
I can't find any links but I'm sure I recall hearing that the Islanders were being paid around £3000 per month to live there by the British Government.

Rubbish.....

That's all I have to say on the matter...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Haven't read entire thread, but just to reiterate the point that the majority of the Falklands population ARE of British ancestry, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The population of the Falkland Islands is primarily of British descent (about 70 percent of the population), mainly as a result of Scottish and Welsh immigration to the islands.[130]

In the 2006 census, some Islanders identified themselves as of French, Gibraltarian, and Scandinavian descent.[131] Other minorities include those from Chile and Saint Helena, many of whom have become assimilated.[132] Among the few Argentines currently residing in the islands is Maria Strange, wife of the author and historian Ian Strange.[133]

NB: if it's not broke, don't fix it.

edit on 6-1-2013 by roblot because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2013 by roblot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Things would have been better off if the British had never stepped foot on those islands, no? I'm assuming these were claimed as part of their Imperialistic takeover of the Earth.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I agree with you, me you and David. We should sign up together then we can go to war together. All this war talk will end up with someone hurt, killing is cool war is cool heck this rich fella Cameron looks cool we should ask him since he seems to know a few guys if we can make our own custom camo and maybe even allow us to fist pump and have singing contests heck lets put it on the TV now this is gonna be great when we kill all the bad guys maybe dave will let us keep some of their land this is amazing. End sarcasm!

This is mad we fight we die we work we cry. These guys talk the talk when and we walk the walk, these games are tiring are they not!

We all like a good fight now and then but these guys make a show from it and also a lot of cash they even call it the theater of war we act out the parts they assign whilst they direct from an ever increasing distance gone are the days when men fought side by side with true leaders not jumped up money hungry elitists. We no longer fight for what was noble and right with our intentions are barely even understood!

I say lets not go to war lets allow the people of the Falklands to express their views 1 by 1 if they want us Britain fine if they want freedom from us and Argentina then give them that!

War should be the last option! this is mostly about the resources around the land they would like them and they should have them im sure no one on the island is extracting them or are they waiting for the guys with the equipment otherwise known as BP to come and take it. We should offer to share the profit if they cover the cost and make condition to that agreement the islanders have final say. If they don't comply we then take action if they pose a threat to islanders or continue to fuel the flames we protect them without compromise.

edit on 6-1-2013 by GreatScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Was it anything but ever? I fight to protect my land, fight to protect your territory. I own land in another state, doesn't mean it isn't mine.

Palestine / Israel fights for there territory. Not getting into that.

You have to fight for what's yours.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatScot
I say lets not go to war lets allow the people of the Falklands to express their views 1 by 1 if they want us Britain fine if they want freedom from us and Argentina then give them that!

*groan* Once again, they are having such a vote in March....

Originally posted by GreatScot
War should be the last option! this is mostly about the resources around the land they would like them and they should have them im sure no one on the island is extracting them or are they waiting for the guys with the equipment otherwise known as BP to come and take it. We should offer to share the profit if they cover the cost and make condition to that agreement the islanders have final say. If they don't comply we then take action if they pose a threat to islanders or continue to fuel the flames we protect them without compromise.

Again, the Argentines had such an offer on the table from Tony Blair. They tore it up and spat in our faces.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
Things would have been better off if the British had never stepped foot on those islands, no? I'm assuming these were claimed as part of their Imperialistic takeover of the Earth.

Then someone else would have and they'd be arguing with them over it..

Let's not forget the British were not the only ones colonising and Argentina itself is a result of Spanish imperialism and colonisation. Ironically, the Argentines took most of their land off actual Natives, killing them in the process and still today celebrate this "War of the Desert" with patriotic imagery on their money.
edit on 6/1/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
wether it be for oil or to protect BRITISH people , they should give their heads a wobble and forget all about it !
british soldiers gave their lives once for the falklands and by god we will damn do it again ! im no soldier but i would fight for our people and our land if needs be ! and im all for what the PM said ,
for once its nice to hear some sence coming from his mouth
lets just hope it all dies down and its all resolved march !
war is just bad plain and simple ! there are no winners in war ! but if its going to take a war to make them leave the british falklanders and their home alone then so be it !

milita sgt.Rascal reporting for duty !

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I agree with rascal. As I've been saying all along, if the islanders vote to be Argie then let them go. If they want to stay British then Kircher should shut-up.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

* * * * * * * Please Note: * * * * * * *

15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

Please post comments in English; this is a discussion forum, and we need to be able to communicate with each other and be on the same page.

Thanks much,

argentus
edit on 6/1/13 by argentus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join