It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Of course it's racist!!!

To an American - Yes. Because Americans link fried chicken and people with black skin together racially.

To an Aussie, West Indie, Pakistani, Indian or to pretty much anyone else who plays cricket or understands the special relationship Aussies have with the people of those countries - No. Simply because nobody from any of these countries links fried chicken and people with black skin as a racial issue.

It's a perspective thing really, and considering that this ad was screened in Australia for an Australian audience then I see no reason Americans should be butting in with their unwanted opinions.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Im an american but I feel kind of bad for finding that ad to be funny.. i guess i can see how its racist but at the same time its kind of hilarious. Kind of makes me want some KFC.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kraig87]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I don't see it is racist either (yes, shock horror).
If you know anything about Cricket (or watching sport in stadiums in general and rivalry) then the advert is just banter and the guy trying to win them over.

I don't think race is the issue at all... you see all of them bar the guy in the Aussie shirt are clearly wearing a Windies shirt, and he's trying to win them over, calm them down.

It's called the "crowd pleaser" FFS

I can see why it could be interpreted as racist, but i don't think it is.
The news chick was funny.... straight away "RACIST" and the guy was like...well not exactly racist... i think he felt obliged to agree.

I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

Ok.... I've watched it like 20 times now.. and i can see why some people would find this racist and i do get that it's a little uncomfortable.... but i dunno... i honestly don't think the intention was racially motivated... Only KFC know that i guess.

[edit on 7/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Who's butting in, I couldn't care less! I don't allow myself to be divided from other people/races by such ridiculousness. It still doesn't take away from the fact that the underlying intent of the add is inherently racist.

Right, I'm sure the marketing execs at KFC were completely clueless and it was all about cricket or whatever.

Peace

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It still doesn't take away from the fact that the underlying intent of the add is inherently racist.

Errr.....

OK, so how WERE they supposed to do the ad? Last time I checked the people of the West Indies are black (hence the black skin), both Aussies and the people of the West Indies love fried chicken, and both Aussies and the people of the West Indies love the sport Cricket.

So, based on the fact that you have the INTENDED AUDIENCE telling you that the ad was about an Aussie finding himself stuck in a crowd full of the opposing cricket teams fans, who happen to be black, and winning them over with some food that happens to sponsor cricket, how is this racist (remembering, of course, that only in America are fried chicken and black people racially connected)?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I was wrong, you win.
Common sense isn't for everybody.

I'm gonna go film some floating trashcan lids now.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Oh for crying our loud! They could just as easily have filmed the same ad using New Zealanders or the English or bloody Flargleblargles from the planet Pumpkin and still have conveyed the same message, being that KFC will bring opposing cricket fans together. KFC just happened to pick one particular sporting team we are playing this summer. Half the teams we play cricket with are black for crying out loud.

Honestly, this whole racist nonsense is just that, complete garbage.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by countercounterculture
I dont think anyone has posted this yet.. sorry if i missed it.

Here is their response..

Great going USA, lets separate different cultures into their correct race pigeon holes.

I must say i was deeply offended by our American cousin in this you tube.

ITS NOT A SHRIMP,ITS A BLOODY PRAWN! (0:55)

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Cultural context matters.

There are quite a few things that are considered racist in the USA that are only consider racist in Canada due to proximity. Sayings that actually don't make any sense culturally except by cultural adoption of a foreign culture.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think the issue for most Australians is this: people that are calling the advertisement "racist" or "stereotypical" are only looking at the advertisement through the eyes of Americans. The ones who made the mistake are the hosts that brought a foreign piece of media into their country and judged it by the social-political standards of their own nation.

It was made in Australia, for Australia, by Australians. If you knew a little about Australian culture, you would understand that nothing in the advert was presented in the manner it has been mistaken for.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
ROTFLMFAO!!!
I thought this was one of the funniest ads I've ever seen. All he needed was a a couple of 40's and some really loud rap music and he would have a party!!!
All of you PC minded, uptight butt scratchers need to lighten up and talk about REAL issues, not who might be offended by some dumb commercial.

You who think that stereotypes just get pulled out of the air and are made up need to come live in MY neighborhood. You will quickly find the source anywhere you look with the droopy drawer boys kickin' it with the Colt 45 and Tupac as loud as it will go while those who can afford a car sit and shine them spinners, which cost twice as much as the car.

Why don't you come out into the real world for a minute, take a look around, smell the air, THEN go back inside and tell of the sights and smells you experienced. The whiners, well, you can just go whine someplace else about how UNFAIR life is and how cruel people can be with their big ole meany commercials.
You want cruel? How about the Holocaust? How about the millions of starving children in the world? But no, you are worried about a freakin commercial!!!
Why is this even on ATS? Take your moral sensibilities elsewhere and let someone post something of merit.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
some people will always look around for thing's too offend them. and why is it racist to say black people like fried chicken i'm half irish and would not find it offensive if someone said all irish people like potatoes.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be racist to assume juxtaposing someone with a darker than snowflake complexion alongside a bucket of chicken is racist?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

Yeah that clip is hilarious, first their saying how the clip is racist.. then he stereotypes aussies! LOL

THEN he says 'I don't care if they're jamaican or west indian or whatever, to me they look black'....LOL... And the AD is racist??? No wonder they have stereotype problems in the US if the only way they can identify is through skin color.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Doesn't it go to show you how something made for one nations domestic consumption,can completely bomb in another.

Makes you think about how international conflicts can start..

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Racist?

You cant be serious am i missing something here?
What does make it racist is the comments afterwards painting the ad in a different light.
Skin colour has got nothing to do with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Look, I can see both sides of the argument here. The fact of the matter is that KFC knew exactly what they were doing. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind all the uproar to begin with. They created a controversial ad, and look at all the hub-hub (negative or otherwise). It's clever.

It's not like black people are gonna to start boycotting KFC anytime soon.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I’m an Australian white girl, my mother’s best friend is Chinese, and we always celebrated 2 new years.
My best friend came from an Italian background. Growing up we lived in a town that was multicultural. I can’t think of a race that didn’t live there. My ex-husbands family is aboriginal. My children have aboriginal blood. I also lived in the territory for 7 years, many cultures there as well, you walk down the street in any of these places and you say G’day to anyone you pass. That’s why people from all backgrounds want to come to live here, because we don’t give a crap what colour skin you have, everybody will still say G’day. That’s the aussie way, we care mostly what team you barrack for, and all aussies (yellow black white, cream and any colour you can think of) will jokingly bag you for barracking for the opposite team that they barrack for. And as true aussies, we love it that we get to have every public holiday, every celebration from every other country. I love Australia for all the people in it.
If I don’t like you, it’s not because of the colour of your skin, it’s because you’re probably a dickhead.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

It's not like black people are gonna to start boycotting KFC anytime soon.

Now THAT's a racist comment!

You're either trying to be funny (miserable fail) or you're an idiot.

BTW, I'm Australian Aborigine and the original KFC ad is not the slightest bit racist. In Australia the West Indies cricket team are adored by the general public. That ad merely points out that an Aussie watching a game in the midst of a noisy group of opposition supporters gets them to be quiet by offering them the major sponsor's food. If the major sponsor was Domino's Pizza (which it wouldn't be as Domino's sucks and I don't know anybody who eats their pizzas - but I digress) there would be no controversy. The only people with a problem are the uptight white presenters on that You Tube show.

I suppose they overlooked the interview with the woman from the West Indies association (made up of expatriates from the West Indies) who was had a big smile on her face as she gave a public statement saying that they didn't find the ad to be racist. In my opinion, she found the whole episode to be funny and I have to agree. The PC crowd in the USA have got their knickers in a twist over nothing and the black guys here are laughing at them.

That ad was not racist. Deal with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by answerman
Now THAT's a racist comment!

You're either trying to be funny (miserable fail) or you're an idiot.

Exactly the response I was expecting. You didn't miserably fail.
Welcome to PC world folks.

Stars for you.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join