It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This is called "the media throwing up a diversion"
it is designed to keep peoples attention away from real issues by focusing on a totally irrelevant subject.

no racism here, just media hype

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

I don't think you understand how racism is applied in this ad. Let me explain it to you.

The ad in question is part of a series of commercials called the “KFC Cricket Survival Guide”, which features an Australian character caught in different scenarios with various cricket fans and how he uses KFC to get out of these situations. In one commercial he’s a lone Australian sitting with several fans of the West Indian cricket team and when he produces a bucket of fried chicken, the fans stop cheering and instead focus on the food.

Why isn't the white guy dancing around? This ad stinks of racism. I won't be going to kfc anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
In all seriousness, how anybody can be offended by this advertisement given the context and details makes me feel that there are people who want to be offended.

The following post is a reply to an article about the "issue" found at this address:
KFC ad labelled 'racist' by US commentators

Reply by Von of Sydney Posted at 6:06 PM January 06, 2010

This controversy is so funny. After reading the comments from the American point of view you can actually see why for them it is racist.

For Aussies this is what we see:
1. The only Aussie surrounded by loud west indies fans at the cricket
2. The ad is aired during cricket matches and we all know KFC is a sponsor of the cricket
3. Everyone enjoys fried chicken and the Aussie is now popular amongst the West Indies fans.

Then from the American point of view imagine this:
1. imagine if the logo for cricket didn't exist and you didn't see any reference to cricket throughout the ad including the cricket colours that they're wearing - this is pretty much the equivalent to what the Americans see since they have no idea what cricket is
2. The ad isn't shown amongst all the other KFC ads and not during the cricket
3. They see a bunch of loud black guys (no idea they are west indian - only that they're black) and one white guy in the middle of a crowd. To placate them, he offers them fried chicken which black guys are meant to love.

Now rewatch the ad, imagining if there was no reference to cricket whatsoever. Now you can see why they think it's racist! Talk about paradigm shift!

(I changed the formatting to make it easier to read. No words have been altered.)

I think he sums it up pretty well...

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
reply to post by nahsik

I don't think you understand how racism is applied in this ad. Let me explain it to you.

The ad in question is part of a series of commercials called the “KFC Cricket Survival Guide”, which features an Australian character caught in different scenarios with various cricket fans and how he uses KFC to get out of these situations. In one commercial he’s a lone Australian sitting with several fans of the West Indian cricket team and when he produces a bucket of fried chicken, the fans stop cheering and instead focus on the food.

Why isn't the white guy dancing around? This ad stinks of racism. I won't be going to kfc anymore.

If you have racist inclinations, you will find it racist.
The same commercial could have been done with any opposition of Australian cricket teams.
Would there be such an outcry if it was an Aussie sitting in the middle of a New Zealand supporters?
I here kiwis like KFC as well

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I would say that when this ad was written and recorded, racist American stereotypes were FAR from the minds of those involved.

That stereotype simply is not in context here and I don't think they really thought the Americans would get this one and run so far with it.

West Indies, Australia, K.F.C. and cricket. That's it. The only racism here is in the minds of the accusers.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

reply to post by nahsik

Maybe : because his team is losing. The spectators around him are celebrating their win
That’s how I see it anyway

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Yahoo Australia poll:

Today's Poll
12448 votes since Jan 6 2010

Is the KFC ad racist?

Yes - 14% 1719 votes

No - 86% 10729 votes

I'd be willing to put money down on the fact that the 1719 people who voted YES were actually Americans. Who's in for a group bet?

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's pretty blatant racism when you have a bunch of west Indians taking chicken from a white guy.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

KFC sponsors many Cricket Games including the former KFC Cup. The black people surrounding the white man in the center are all wearing the opposite jerseys of the man.

you called it.

like a yankee's fan at fenway park, make some good vibes before you start rootin for your team!

it is as simple as that.
too easy!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's pretty blatant racism when you have a bunch of west Indians taking chicken from a white guy.

Would it have been racist if it was the white guy was offered a beer by the opposition supporters to keep him occupied?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

individual Americans
calling them racist because of this advertisement

What do you expect from a people who would see an aboriginee, call him an "african american" and think they were being polite and courteous in doing so?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

A few pointers.....

- This ad appeared on AUSTRALIAN TELEVISION and was aimed at AUSTRALIAN CRICKET FANS. Anyone who is Aussie knows this and knows what the ad's meant and knows FOR A FACT that they are not even REMOTELY racist.

- ONLY IN AMERICA is fried chicken linked racially to black people.

- Australians could not give two-hoots about American culture and we get REAL pissed when Americans try to tell us what we should and should not be doing.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Racist attitudes were the nexus of the television show that featured American singer Harry Connick Jr. a few months back. The show was the Aussie take on the Gong Show and it pissed Connick off.

Wake up Australia!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by chetinglendalevillage]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

You are taking the piss, aren't you?

If not then I would just like to state that if there were ever to be a perfect example of completely unfounded and delusional claims of racism, this would be pretty darn close!

Read the content of the post I quoted before in my first reply.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chetinglendalevillage
Racist attitudes were the nexus of the television show that featured American singer Harry Connick Jr. a few months back. The show was the Aussie take on the Gong Show and it pissed Connick off.

Wake up Australia!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by chetinglendalevillage]

American culture and Australian culture are completely different.

We did not have slavery, we did not have the same issues with black people being opressed the same way as they where in America
we never had a civil war.

we did not have our indigionous population complain about black face, that was a US thing.
our indigionous folk don't sit around eating fried chicken, so the stereotype of black people eating chicken once again does not cut it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

This ad is using the Black people to represent the West Indies Cricket Team that has just toured in Australia this summer.
It depicts an Australian cricket fan amongst West Indies Cricket Fans.
The last one day world Cup was in the West Indies.
Here is a normal West Indie crowd at the cricket just like the KFC ad.

The teams are Australia vs Ireland. The West Indies are not even playing in this Game.

The two "intellectuals" stereotype. The Ad does not.

As many an Aussie, and I dare say the West Indie would say: "What a pair of Wankers".

[edit on 7/1/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This was posted in the comments section HERE. I think it sums up the situation nicely.....

Michelle

I'm glad I'm not American. It must be tough going through life with no sense of humour, either their own or anyone else's. Their worldview is not everyone else's - they should mind their own business for once.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Although a huge generalisation I agree with the sentiments of that reply.

How the hell did this ad get aired in America anyway and since when does America influence Australia's advertising laws?

Stupid do gooders ruin everything.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I dont think anyone has posted this yet.. sorry if i missed it.

Here is their response..

I wonder what they would say about this..

same stereotypes no??

Great going USA, lets seperate different cultures into their correct race pigeon holes.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
i worked at kfc for several years,

this is sad.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join